InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pill Poppers Anonymous ❯ Kikyo: The Antidrug ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu Yasha or any other works by Rumiko Takahashi.
 
 
ch-san: WOW. Been a million years, hasn't it? First off, I'd like to thank those of you that reviewed. Second, I'd like to say I'M SO SORRY!!!!!!!!! I know it's been forever since I wrote anything and I'm sorry! Life is so hectic, but I'll try to write, I really will. I have another fanfic, `Signs of Paradise' (Wolf's Rain), that I'm working on too, so…yeah. I better just not complain and start writing, right? Right.
 
~*~*~*~
 
Kikyo seated herself behind her desk, motioning for Inu Yasha to take a seat in one of the two chintz lounge chairs in front of her. He did, but not as gracefully or as quietly as she had. He sighed and grumbled as he went down, glaring at the wall behind her. She rearranged Walt's paperwork in a very prim way, like she was trying to organize her thoughts, not the paper.
 
“Inu Yasha,” she finally said, “You have got to learn to control your temper, especially with Higurashi-san's daughter.”
 
“It's not my fault. She provoked me,” he grumbled.
 
“Everything provokes you. You said just the other day that your meatloaf provoked you after you had thrown it across the room!”
 
“It DID provoke me!”
 
“Inu Yasha, it's MEAT! It's inanimate and incapable of provocation!”
 
“It is SO capable of …whatever you just said!”
 
“No, it is not!”
 
“When was the last time YOU ate the cafeteria meatloaf?! I'm telling you it IS!”
 
“ENOUGH!” she yelled. Silence fell on them like a fine powder. She calmed herself and started again.
 
“Inu Yasha, all I'm saying is that you need to gain better control over your temper. If not, you'll be fired for sure.”
 
“I'm already going to be fired in less than a month if I don't cure all of my patients. Why not just speed up the deadline?” he snorted.
 
“Because I have faith in you that you'll cure them!” she exclaimed. Earnestness was painted in her eyes; it threw him off guard. He had never seen her like this.
 
“…okay, I'll try…” he mumbled.
 
“Thank you,” she said, returning to normal. “Now about Walt. He is to take two of these every twelve hours.” She handed him a bottle of pills, which he promptly pocketed. Kikyo raised an eyebrow at him. “Aren't you going to write his prescription on his chart, or in your date book?”
 
“Oh, right,” he muttered absently as he pulled out a black book from his pocket. After borrowing a pen, he jotted down the necessary information and the times in which to administer the medicine. On the chart (which Kikyo handed over to him) he wrote down the same information, and that Walt was now in his care. He returned the pen with a smile.
 
“Okay, so that's done. Now all I have to do is cure a few incurable patients and I'll still have a job!” he said cheerily.
 
“Inu Yasha…” Kikyo sighed. Her brow was lined with worry. “I…I know this is hard for you, and I'm sorry that Higurashi-san is doing this, but I can't…hold on…maybe I can.” He raised an eyebrow at her.
 
“What are you going on about?” he asked.
 
“I'm going to see if Higurashi will let me be your nurse instead of Rin. That way I can help you with your patients, too. We'll get twice the work done in a shorter amount of time!”
 
“You'd really go talk to her about that?” he said suspiciously.
 
“Of course I would.”
 
“Kikyo, I love you!” He laughed as he reached over her desk and hugged her. She made an odd squeaking noise from fright, but recovered quickly and hugged him back.
 
“You're welcome,” she smiled. He let go and bounded out of the room. Kikyo paused, staring out into space. “And I love you, too,” she whispered to the empty room.
 
*
 
“Hanyou, get in here!” Higurashi yelled through her office door. Inu Yasha winced as he turned the knob. He stuck his head in first, praying that he only had to say a few words to her.
 
“Yes?” he attempted.
 
“I said, GET IN HERE.” He was in a chair in front of her before she had finished the sentence. She glared at him from over top of her reading glasses. “What's this about Kikyo requesting to switch positions with Rin?”
 
“Oh, she did that? I hadn't a clue, ma'am,” he mentioned airily, trying not to smile. The glare on Higurashi's face intensified.
 
“Uh-huh. Well, I'm denying the request.”
 
“WHAT?!” Inu Yasha blanched. He remembered what Kikyo said about controlling his temper and took a deep breath. “May I ask why?”
 
“You don't need the extra help, and Rin can't handle the work load of Kikyo's patients.”
 
“But Higurashi-san, I really could use the help, if you please,” he begged. She stared at him, unblinking.
 
“No.”
 
“But, Higurashi-san-!”
 
“I SAID NO,” she barked. “Now I want you out of this office, now.” He stood, but didn't make a move to leave.
 
“Higurashi-san, you didn't want me treating your daughter, correct?” he said stonily.
 
“Yes, that's true,” she mumbled, staring at a ream of new contracts that were scattered across her desk.
 
“Then don't you think that if Kikyo were to help me that Kagome would be receiving twice the quality of care than I could give her?” Higurashi looked up at him. The room felt like it had suddenly been filled with water. They just sat there; floating in silence. Finally, she said:
 
“I'm impressed with your argument, mutt. Fine. Go inform Rin that her position has been moved to Kikyo's ward.” Inu Yasha tried his best to keep a smile off of his face.
 
“I will, ma'am. Thank you so much.” With as much self-restraint as he could muster he strode out of the room none-to-quickly and stiffly like a doctor should stride. However when he was out of earshot of his employer, he leaped and twirled like a ballerina who'd had way too much Mountain Dew. Simultaneously, he pumped his fist in celebration and whispered “Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! YES!” Life was going great. Until his watch went off and he remembered that he had to give Kagome her medication. A few quiet curses escaped his lips. He did not want to see her. Not after that fight. But he was a doctor, and that's what doctors are paid to do. To look after their patients, no matter how much they hated them. He sighed as he pulled out her meds from his pocket, double checking the label to make sure they were hers. They were. Reluctantly, he trudged down the hall to her room.
 
When he got to her door, he knocked roughly, leaning against the re-built frame with agitation. He knocked again. On the third knock, the door opened. Kagome looked out, saw her doctor, and blushed.
 
“Oh, hel-“ she began, but he just skipped the formalities. Pushing her aside, he slumped into her room, put her pills down on her table in a little paper cup, and slumped out. She just stood there, shocked. `What the-?'
 
“Doctor!” she called after him. He turned on his heels.
 
“What do you want?” he barked. She shrunk slightly behind her doorframe. He snorted. Typical. He attempted to walk away again, but she called out.
 
“Inu Yasha!”
 
“WHAT?!” he yelled, officially pissed. Her face screwed up in anger.
 
“Never mind, now! I was gonna say `I'm sorry for fighting with you earlier', but you're being such a jerk that I don't think I will!” she shouted.
 
“I wouldn't have accepted it anyway, wench!” he snarled.
 
“Well, you can just go to hell!”
 
“Fine!”
 
“Fine!!”
 
“FINE!!!” He yelled at her slamming door. A confused Kikyo sidled up next to him.
 
“Are you okay, Inu Yasha? I heard yelling and… wow, your face is bright red. Did something happen?” She asked, knowing perfectly well what had happened.
 
“No, nothing,” he said flatly before stomping off. Kikyo retained a concerned visage until he was around the corner. As soon as she was alone in the hall, a smug grin replaced the look of worry.