InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pill Poppers Anonymous ❯ Letting Go ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: All characters from the show Inuyasha are © Rumiko Takahashi.
 
ch-san: thanks to all those who reviewed (those few who know who you are ^^) <3
 
 
~*~*~*~
 
Shippo stared at Kagome with mild interest, mulling over Inu Yasha's “brilliant” idea to have the little kitsune `babysit the crazy girl'. Kagome had taken a turn for the worst. It was so strange the way it happened. She stuck mainly to writing with one hand; she hardly ever stared at things much longer than ten minutes; everything was almost normal. But suddenly she was having outrageous hallucinations. Shippo sighed as Kagome clutched her infirmary bed blanket in fear as she stared at a blank television.
 
“You okay?” he asked. She pointed a shaky finger at the screen.
 
“BUGS…” she whispered. He stared at the telly.
 
“Uhm… what about bugs?” he questioned.
 
“They… they're pouring out of the television screen!! They… they… THEY WANT MY BACON!!” she screamed and hid under the thin cloth like a little girl hides from monsters under the bed. Shippo shook his head sadly. Then, as quickly as her hallucination had come on, it ceased. The mound of cloth stopped quivering and relaxed. The frail woman underneath stretched out, full of fatigue, blinking rapidly.
 
“S-Shippo?” she mumbled groggily. “Shippo, where am I?” The kitsune did a double take. She sounded… normal. What in the world?
 
“You're in the infirmary at NIMH, Kagome,” he supplied. “You hurt yourself and we put you here. Don't you remember? The Penguin King? The blood everywhere? Geraldo Rivera?!” Kagome gave him a frightened, sleepy look.
 
“You feelin' okay, Shippo? Maybe you should check back in for a while…” she yawned, stretching more. Just then, Kikyo came in with a happy smile on her face.
 
“Hello Kagome! How are you feeling? You look a lot better today,” the nurse chirped pleasantly. Kagome smiled.
 
“I am feeling better, thank you!” she bubbled. “Is it time for my medication?” The nurse popped some pills into Kagome's open mouth, and then handed her a glass of water. The woman gulped them down, pulling a face as Kikyo laughed and slipped the pill bottle into her front pocket. Then, turning on her heels, she waltzed out of the room. Kagome grinned until the nurse had rounded the corner. Immediately the patient's face drooped to a sullen glare.
 
“I hate that bitch,” Kagome growled. Shippo suppressed a giggle at her brazen truth.
 
“Really now?” he smirked. “Why's that?”
 
“Oh, she's just so…. FAKE, you know? She seems so nice but deep down I bet she's just horrible. I-“ All of a sudden, Kagome's eyes dilated. She stared around the room blankly, then fixed her gaze on a crack in the ceiling. In a soft, sing-song voice, she murmured: “Piiiiiiiiiiiiiickles….” Shippo sighed as he picked up a magazine. What was the world coming to when you couldn't even hold a decent conversation with a crazy person?
 
Inu Yasha strode into the infirmary with a satisfied look on his face. Shippo nodded to the hanyou, then returned to his Cosmo mag. The doctor popped open a bottle of pills and handed Kagome two of them.
 
“Hey, Kagome, it's time for your medication, okay? Here's a glass of water.” She took it willingly, drinking long from the glass as if it was the only thing she'd had to drink all day. Shippo stared blankly.
 
“Uhm, should she really be having all those pills?” he asked. “Isn't it, like, bad for her or something?” Inu Yasha raised an eyebrow at him.
 
“What do you mean? Kagome takes these two pills for her schizophrenia every day at this time, then again before bed.” The kitsune blinked rapidly at these words. `If Inu Yasha is giving Kagome her schizophrenia pills, what is Kikyo giving her?' he thought nervously. The young one stood abruptly, knocking his chair backwards in his haste. Inu Yasha stared at him.
 
“What's gotten into you?” he asked.
 
“It's more like `What's gotten into Kagome',” Shippo barked, making his way to the door.
 
“What do you mean?” The doctor was more than curious, but the youngster did not give time to justify him with an answer. When the hanyou looked up, Shippo was gone.
 
Shippo scampered silently down the white-washed hall, hot on Kikyo's trail. The young woman was currently chatting with a patient from another wing. The kitsune looked on with a devious plot hatching in his mind. He withdrew a leaf from within his pants pocket and transformed into a tiny bug. `Fox magic is a beautiful thing,' he snickered to himself as he fluttered up and into her pocket. The youngster read the label as thoroughly as he could in the dimly lit compartment of her lab coat. `methylene-dioxy methyl amphetamine?' he wondered. `What the heck is that? I bet Inu Yasha would know.' With that, Shippo flew out of her pocket and back into the Infirmary.
 
“Inu Yasha!” he called, anxiously transforming back into his normal self. The doctor looked up from his book. With nothing to do except stare at Kimi and Kagome, he could at least brush up on some literature.
 
“Yeah?” he said.
 
“What's methylene-dioxy methyl amphetamine?” Shippo asked. Inu Yasha gave him a weird look.
 
“Why do you wanna know, Shippo?” he questioned.
 
“Because Kikyo is giving them to Kagome.” Inu Yasha's mouth hung agape at these words. `No… way…' he mouthed dumbly. His eyes tripled in size and his fists clenched.
 
“A-are you sure?” he stuttered. Shippo nodded. “REALLY REALLY sure?” Shippo nodded again, and added “Why, is that bad?” A nerve on the doctor's neck twitched in anger. Tremors of rage shook him wholly.
 
“FUCKING HELL!” he screamed at the top of his voice. Shippo squeaked and dove under the coffee table in fear. Every patient in the building woke with a start. Kikyo rushed in.
 
“Inu Yasha? Are you okay? What is it?” She asked plaintively. A manic look crossed the half-breed's face.
 
“You…” he hissed. The maiden's face grew taught.
 
“Me?” she said, pointing to herself. Inu Yasha nodded before he advanced, placing a hand on her breast. She squealed with shock, and then realized that he was getting something out of her front pocket, not groping her. This caused her to squeal louder, but out of fright. “No, wait! I can explain!!” she cried.
 
“Well good! You'll need a good explanation, Kikyo. What were you THINKING giving her Ecstasy!? This could seriously screw her up!! Why would you give it to her in the first place?! There's no point!” Inu Yasha screamed.
 
“There WAS a point! She was falling in love with you, Inu Yasha, and you love her too!” He scoffed at her words, but she shook her head sadly. “Admit it. I saw the way you'd smile at her. It was so obvious… I knew I had to put her out of the race.”
 
“What race?” he snarled.
 
“The race to get to you! Inu Yasha, I've been in love with you ever since you came to work here! I… all I wanted was for you to love me. Is that so much to ask? I knew that with this… this… GIRL getting better and gaining your attention I'd be in trouble. So, obviously, I had to make it look like she was getting worse. That way you'd get fired, I'd start my own clinic, hire you to work for me, and then we'd fall in love WITHOUT that annoying bitch to stop us!” Kikyo was grinning manically at Inu Yasha. The hanyou returned her grin with a look of pure disgust. Clapping interrupted the silence. They turned to where the sound was coming from. Dr. Higurashi was standing in the doorway, clapping.
 
“Well done, Kikyo,” she droned. “I applaud your tenacity. You are brilliant enough to start your own clinic, but you fail to remember that I hold all the cards in this poker hand. See, I know many of the higher-ups in this state, so if you were REALLY smart, you wouldn't have given my daughter illegal substances just to have a fling with a doctor. You are fired, you filthy whore.” Kikyo gasped, then growled.
 
“Why you-!” she began, but her boss cut her off.
 
“Get out of my clinic,” she spat with icy hatred. The now ex-nurse slunk out of the room, mumbling threats under her breath. Higurashi watched her go with a look of contempt on her face. She then turned to Inu Yasha.
 
“Half-breed - I mean - Dr. Yasha,” she began tentatively. The good doctor had never heard her use this tone with him before. She seemed… grateful. Respectful. What a change!
 
“Yes?” he encouraged.
 
“I… I want you to know that I never liked that nurse. She always seemed… evil.” `You're one to talk,' Inu Yasha thought bitterly, then laughed at himself. His boss continued. “You know, I'll give you a few extra weeks if you can get my daughter over her new Ecstasy dependence…” The hanyou did a double take.
 
“Whu?” he noised. Higurashi nodded and smiled. For the first time ever, Inu Yasha hugged his boss.