InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quadrille of War ❯ At the End of a Prayer ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author Notes: Is it weird that I'm proud of myself that I got this chapter out in less than 3 months? Muhaha! A month and a half people! Actually, it might even be a little less than that. Anyways, I won't keep you from the chapter. Please review!!!! Enjoy the chappie!
 
Disclaimer: If I owned Inuyasha I wouldn't be wasting my time at college
 
 
At the End of Prayer
By Hoshi-ni-Onegai
 
“Is something the matter Inuyasha?” Miroku inquired from his place in the camp as the rest of the group was going about getting ready for the start of the second day of travel.
 
His back toward the group Inuyasha glanced back but did not turn all the way. Arms crossed he stared out toward the winding road that the group would be traveling upon.
 
Going up the hanyou Miroku lowered his voice. “Since the incident with the arrow yesterday you have been very quite. You seem to be pensive about something.”
 
“Not more than usual.”
 
The monk sighed, “You also don't seem to be too worried about those who shot at Miss Kagome yesterday.”
 
Inuyasha's brows furrowed a bit, “They won't come after her again.”
 
“How are you so sure?”
 
“They think that she got shot directly in the heart. To them, she's as good as dead.”
 
Miroku nodded in understanding and turned to greet the women as they came up to them. “Good morning ladies, I trust you rested well.”
 
Sango rolled her eyes and brushed passed him to head toward the road. “Don't start with us so early in the morning Miroku.”
 
Kagome smiled and bowed toward both of them and followed after Sango.
 
“She's very polite. . . it's obviously the noble upbringing.”
 
Inuyasha glanced at the monk, “I sometimes wonder if she's really noble or not.”
 
Confusion came across Miroku's face, “I highly doubt that the arrogant prince of the Eastern Lands would settle for someone less than nobility.”
 
“Yeah. . . but they're something off about her. . .”
 
Sighing he patted his friend's back, “Don't let your suspicions get in the way of getting to know her Inuyasha.”
 
Rolling his eyes Inuyasha walked ahead of the monk to follow the women, “I don't need to get to know her, it's not part of the job.”
 
A knowing smile spread across Miroku's face as he pushed off his staff and walked onward.
 
The day continued on without much occurring and the border of the Central Lands was soon approaching. Being that they were granted safe passage through the Eastern Lands, they had little to worry about when reaching it but nothing could compare to the sacred and peaceful neutrality of the Central Lands.
 
Slowing her pace down a bit Kagome made it so that she was instep with Miroku who also had Inuyasha walking to the other side of him.
 
He smiled down at the shorter and younger woman, “Yes Miss Kagome?”
 
Tilting her head to the side she gave him a once over. Seeing the blatant movement of her head and eyes Inuyasha frowned but did not comment.
 
“Judging by your robes I'm assuming you're a holy man.”
 
At Kagome's statement Sango let out a laugh but attempted to quiet it down immediately afterward. With his ever-present smile on his face Miroku nodded, “I come from a long line of monks from the old-world faith.”
 
“Then you must be from the northern border of the Central Lands, for they are the only monks still present that allows marriage and procreation for their monks.”
 
He was a bit taken aback, “I did not know that you were so knowledgeable of the faiths of the different lands.”
 
She shrugged, “My father made sure that I would know about all the lands and the people living within them. I sometimes don't think that I retained as much as I would have liked but I try my best.” Pointing to the monk's right hand she let a curious tone lace into her voice, “I have met the monks of your faith many times over, but I have never met one with their hand sealed off with prayer beads. . . I had heard stories of such a monk, but the name my father used to describe him was Tomoe.”
 
Surprise entered Miroku's eyes but they soon went away to hold a gentle saddened gaze within them. “Tomoe was my grandfather. He died years ago due to the wind tunnel that plagues my family. . . This arm is cursed with a wind tunnel, a void within my hand that sucks everything within it. . . It grows wider every year, and it will eventually consume me as well.”
 
Kagome nodded in understanding, “If it's a curse I'm guess there is a way to break it?”
 
“That is why I decided to leave my faith's shrine and set out to find the cure for it. It had been so long ago that my family no longer holds the knowledge of how or why we are cursed with such a thing.”
 
“I hope you will find your answer soon.”
 
Miroku smiled, “I wish the same for you.”
 
Kagome paused in her step for a beat, surprised by his comment but bowed in respectful understanding. Speeding up to catch up with Sango, Shippou, and Kirara once again she glimpsed back to make eye contact with Inuyasha before facing forward once again.
 
“What was that about monk?” Inuyasha inquired as he stared at Kagome's back.
 
“What do you mean? She asked me about my hand and I answered, she did not delve and dig so I thought it innocent enough to tell her my story.”
 
He shook his head, “No, not that. Your last comment.”
 
Miroku shrugged, “Being courteous.”
 
Inuyasha did not believe his reasoning but he did not say anymore. There were some things that confused him about the monk even after so many years of knowing him. He was not about try to figure everything out suddenly.
 
Crossing into the Eastern Lands by midday the grouped stopped at the edge of the road to take a break.
 
Kagome smiled at Sango, “Nice to be back in your home land huh?”
 
Sango shrugged, “In a way it is, because I know these lands so well. . . but after the death of my village it is hard to call this place home anymore.”
 
A saddened expression fell across Kagome's face, “I'm sorry to bring up such memories.”
 
Smiling she waved her hands, “Don't worry about it, I don't.” At attempt to change the drift of mood and conversation Sango moved toward the other girl and gestured to her shoulders. “Let me take a look at your bruises. I don't want them to be getting worse because of my negligence.”
 
Nodding Kagome rolled up her sleeves to reveal shoulders that were still bruised but healing at a rate that was above human standards. Seeing the surprised look in Sango's eyes she sighed, “I tend to heal quickly.”
 
“For a human.”
 
Hearing the added comment by Inuyasha, Kagome stared at him flatly. “Well, we all can't be healing at speedy rates like you Inuyasha.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Shippou cheerfully interjected as he smiled up at Kagome, “It's a good thing you're healing so fast. I don't think your intended would be very pleased to see you skin like that.”
 
Kagome laughed, “What? All ugly and purple? I guess he wouldn't.”
 
“Oh to be at the prime age to wed. . . I fear I missed that point during my foolish wanderings.” Miroku dramatically sighed.
 
She furrowed her brows at his comment, “Prime age? I don't know what customs you may hold but I'm passed my prime years. The moment I get a cat people will start calling me a spinster. Anyways, you're a man! Your prime years are from age eighteen to thirty-five!”
 
Sango nodded in understanding, “I'm also beyond my prime years. I never understood why a man could marry at any age he wanted, but women were to be wed from thirteen to eighteen. It's hard to believe the differences we hold for men and wome. . .” Her words trailed off when she realized what was being said. Staring at Kagome in surprise she tilted her head. “Wait. . . that can't be right. . . You can't be older than eighteen.”
 
Kagome laughed, “Do I really come off so young?”
 
“Then. . . how old are you?”
 
Smiling she scratched the back of her head in embarrassment. “I'm nineteen. . . twenty by the beginning of autumn.”
 
This time it was Inuyasha's turn to be surprised, “What?! I thought you were fifteen or something!”
 
“Well, it's not like I told you that.”
 
But Inuyasha shook his head, “But you're engaged to the Prince of the Eastern Lands! I would have never thought that he would be engaged to someone passed their prime.”
 
Miroku raised his staff to whack the hanyou swiftly across the head with it. “You really don't know what's rude do you Inuyasha? Don't mind him Miss Kagome, I do not think you are past your prime but more that you are at it.”
 
Kagome shook her head laughing, “Oh I don't care what comes out of his mouth anymore. And flattery will get you no where monk.”
 
Sango sighed, “I just can't believe you're nineteen, when I first saw you I thought you were fifteen or sixteen. . .”
 
Mocking hurt Kagome peeked down her own shirt, “Am I that underdeveloped for you to think so?”
 
A blush adorned Inuyasha's face at her comment as the thought that she was the last thing from underdeveloped came to mind. Shaking those thoughts away he tried to hide his blush with his bangs.
 
“So how old are all of you?” She questioned as she stretched back in the grass.
 
Sango answered first, “I'm twenty, soon to be twenty-one within the next moon cycle.”
 
“I am at the ripe old age of twenty-three.” Miroku stated and added afterward, “But also the perfect age for my Sango.” That earned him a smack upside the head.
 
Shippou jumped up and down exclaiming, “I'm six!”
 
Kagome smiled down at him, “You're practically a man Shippou.” Looking up at the person that had yet to answer she nodded, “And what about you Inuyasha?”
 
A pensive expression came upon him, “Uh. . . well. . . huh. . . I don't know.”
 
“You don't know?. . . Can you not count? Because if you can't there is no shame in that.”
 
Inuyasha sputtered in indignation. “I can count! I can add, subtract, and find the area under a fucking curve wench! Just because I'm a hanyou doesn't automatically make me an illiterate!”
 
Huffing at his statement she stood up, “I didn't say that did I?! I just stated that if you didn't know how to count it would be that big of a deal!”
 
Growling he spat out, “I was born in the sixty-first year of the Taishou dynasty. There! You can try figuring out how old I am.”
 
Kagome thought on it a bit. “The Taishou dynasty is the calendar of the Western Lands, before there was the uniform counting of the years. . . Wait a minute. . . the Taishou dynasty ended in sixty-eighth year with the great Western and Northern war. . . That was over a hundred years ago!” Pausing for a moment Kagome's mind went through her knowledge of history and simple math. Eyes widened with surprise she gasped, “That would make you a hundred thirty-seven!”
 
Inuyasha thought the figure over for a short moment then shrugged, “I guess that sounds about right.” Seeing the gaping look on Kagome face he smirked, “I don't know why you're so surprised. Youkai age slower than humans, it would be safe to assume that hanyous would as well.”
 
“But father never said-”
 
“Look princess, don't rely on your father to tell you everything in life. You have to learn some things on your own, not just have everyone tell you and you relaying shit back.”
 
At his comment anger filled her eyes and she was about to snap back at him but thought better of it. Rising to his insults would just lead them into an argument, and arguing with Inuyasha proved to be more tiring than attended court meetings. Ignoring his words she stood up and stretched. “Shall we keep moving?”
 
Impressed by her control of emotions Miroku nodded, “That seems like the best choice of action. I am sure your intended is worried deeply for you.”
 
Hearing the mention of her `intended' again Kagome fell into a pensive mood. To say she had an intended would not be lying, but saying that her intended was the prince of the Eastern Lands was a blatant lie. She was brought out of her thoughts when Inuyasha spoke to her.
 
“Don't think so much when you walk. You might end up with an arrow in your chest again.”
 
Kagome furrowed her brows, “It's not like I went looking for that last arrow. . .”
 
The hanyou shrugged, “I don't know about that.”
 
Her eyes widened a fraction, “What are you trying to say Inuyasha?”
 
He glanced down at the girl. . .er woman next to him. Taking in her small frame and her delicate features he sighed, it was unlikely that this slip of a girl could be guilty of strategically taking the arrow to her chest. Very unlikely. “How did you know my name?”
 
“What?”
 
“When you first woke up, you knew my name by just looking at me.” It was a desperate attempt at changing the subject and to Inuyasha's relief it seemed to have worked.
 
She glanced down at the sword that sat next to his hip, “It was your tetsusaiga.”
 
He was surprised at her response, “How do you know the name of this sword?”
 
“I travel a lot, I didn't read it from my books or anything like that. Word of mouth really.”
 
“God, the more people that know about this sword the more problems it attracts.”
 
Kagome looked at him in question. “Problems?”
 
“Yeah, people see it as a way to prove themselves by beating me or something.” She struggled to hold in a laugh at his words. Raising a brow at her little burst he peered down at her face, “What's so funny?”
 
Smiling up at him she giggled, “One of my men, Izumi, he's been going on and on about how he is going to challenge you the first chance he gets. He's determined that his clan's sword fighting skill is superior to any other, even a demon sword.”
 
The smile that she held when speaking about her men made his heart skip a beat. She was usually so pensive; the genuine quality of the smile was something that he wondered if he would see without the mention of her men. The half demon was brought out of his throught process when Kagome snapped her fingers in front of his face.
 
“Hey, you in there?” Focusing his eyes and looking down at her he tilted his head. Laughing she walked backwards on the path, “You should follow your own advice about thinking and walking. You never know what you'll miss on the way.”
 
Hearing her laughter and seeing her smile with the wind tussling her long raven locks he could help but agree with her. Groaning mentally he shook his head. God, he was getting sappy in his old age.
 
Night came and morning followed quickly. Kagome stretched as everyone was beginning to rouse from their sleep. “So how much more do we have left to travel?”
 
Sango stood up and stared up at the sun for a moment. “We should be arriving at the city of Lupus, the capital of the Eastern Lands, by late evening.”
 
Kagome nodded, “It's been a while since my last visit Lupus. Are you from around that area Sango?”
 
Smiling she shook her head, “Not really. I'm from a village further north of Lupus, near the mountains of Denali. Are you familiar with that region?”
 
“Oh, you mean by the city of Canis? I know a friend that lives in that city.”
 
Walking along side the younger girl Sango smiled, “I lived a short walk away from there.”
 
Inuyasha called back from the head of the group, “We'll be coming up to town soon.”
 
“So what Inuyasha? We pass through town all the time.” Shippou questioned next to him.
 
Giving the kit a deadpan look he answered, “We are not stopping. I don't care how much you guys miss civilization. We'll be in Lupus soon enough.”
 
Coming upon the town they got a good many stares and hushed whispers. Kagome leaned toward Inuyasha whispering toward him. “Is this how it usually is walking through towns?”
 
The hanyou shrugged, “Can you blame them? This is a pretty weird group of people to see.” Glancing down at her a moment he raised a brow, “Why are you hiding your necklace.”
 
Bringing her hand up to feel her pendant tucked under her clothing she sighed, “It's my family crest. One look at it and people know I'm nobility.”
 
“I think your clothes give that away.”
 
“I'd rather they think I stole these clothes.”
 
He furrowed his brows, “You're weird.”
 
“Right back at you.”
 
Their conversation was put to a halt when a handsome man of twenties years or so walked up to them and bowed respectfully toward Kagome. Raising a quizzically brow at the finely dressed man Kagome registered his face. She had seen it some where before. . . “Viscount Atsushi!”
 
The man smiled and looked up at the young girl. “I'm glad you remember me my lady. I feared you would forget me due to your absence in the Eastern Lands' courts.”
 
Kagome nodded, “I fear that the need for my presence at the Northern Lands' court has kept me busy during the seasons.” Smiling she scanned her eyes around the townsmen and looked back at the viscount. “I did not realize that I would be traveling through your town Viscount.”
 
“I was not made aware either, however you are welcome here anytime and my house is open to you and your acquaintances, my grace.”
 
Bowing her head she responded, “I thank you for your hospitality Viscount, but I am disappointed to inform that my acquaintances and I are making the most amount of haste possible for the city of Lupus.”
 
Blushing that Kagome was bowing lower and her mention of head for Lupus Atsushi bowed further. “How insolent of me! I should have immediately surmised that your passage would be to reach Lupus. Allow me to escort you to the edge of the town.”
 
Kagome shook her head and placed a gentle hand upon the still bowing viscount in a gesture for him to rise. “Do not fret. You need not worry for my acquaintances or I. I will see myself on with the journey. Now, I shall not keep you from your duties.” Bowing once again to the man Kagome turned away. “I thank you for your warm welcome and I will not forget your kindness. I hope to see you in following seasons at court.”
 
Bowing Atsushi bid Kagome and the group farewell as they made their way out of the town. Back on the dirt roads of the countryside everyone stared at Kagome with a sense of new light.
 
Feeling the stares upon her she shrunk down a bit. “What?”
 
“You. . . acted. . . so. . . proper!”
 
At Inuyasha's reliably untactful words Kagome glared at him. “I resent the implications of your comment! Anyways, I'm not sure why any of you are surprised. You all knew I was of noble birth. It's only natural I comport myself properly around other nobles.”
 
“But it sounded so stuffy!”
 
Smiling down at Shippou Kagome shrugged, “That's because it is stuffy. But I can't really talk to nobles in any tone I want. People would talk, saying I'm brash and rude.”
 
Sanga smiled nervously, “It's just. . . it didn't really hit us that you were really of that world.”
 
A frown graced her face. “You're going to treat me differently from now on aren't you?”
 
Inuyasha laughed, “What's the difference? You're not going to see any of us after today.”
 
His words struck her somewhere and she fell silent for the rest of the day. Come evening the city of Lupus came into view along with the palace and its sky reaching towers. Standing outside the gates of the city the guards called down to them.
 
“Identify yourselves!”
 
Glancing up at the men Kagome reached into her shirt and pulled out her pendant. “It is I, Kagome, Monarch of the Northern Lands.”
 
As the words slipped from her mouth with practiced ease she felt she just sealed fate that saddened her. No matter how much she didn't want Sango, Miroku, Shippou and especially not Inuyasha to find out about who she was it couldn't be helped. It would have happened eventually, and she decided that it was best learning from her mouth than that of someone else.
 
“M-monarch?” Hearing the questioning voice of the hanyou Kagome smiled sadly and glanced at him.
 
“Thank you for your courageous services sir.” As she spoke the gates opened and she was swept away in a flurry of palace servants.
 
Left to watch her disappear Inuyasha was left dumbfounded. He had called her princess not because he thought she was one, but because she was engaged to a prince. He had assumed that Kagome was a baroness of the Northern Lands, not the princess herself. Inuyasha hit himself in his mind. He had written Kagome off as just a pretty face that the prince had fallen for and arranged marriage to. He had not even considered the shear enormity of the possible alliance that could be made between the Eastern and Northern Lands.
 
Inuyasha was pulled out of his thoughts when one of the guards came up to him. “His majesty asks for your audience in the grand thrown room.”
 
Rolling his eyes Inuyasha tilted his head for his comrades to follow. He would go in, take payment, and leave. This was just another job. He was getting paid for this. Then why was it that the thought of imbursement slipped his mind as the image of his recently released charge danced through his thoughts?
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
 
A/N: I have to say that I didn't really enjoy writing this chapter. It's still at the point where I'm setting up the story and I still have to figure out the culture and ways of this world I made up. There is also A LOT of talking going on in this chapter. So much, that even I got a bit bored writing it. There is just so much information that I need to put down that I can't wait to get to the action. Well, I'll see you guys in the next chapter! Please review!!! ^o^