InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quarter-Demon ❯ Siblings ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Quarter-Demon

Chapter Four: Siblings

By Kurohi Tatsaki

"speaking" ***POV switch/Passing of Time

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu-Yasha! Don't sue! I'm broke!

----------------------------------------

Smoke obscured the dark sky, and the air was drenched top to bottom with the scent of blood. Two shadows came into view, their breathing audible with the strain of the long run.

Two albinos, one with pink eyes, the other with gold ones, dashed across the burnt rooftops of modern Japan. The one with gold eyes stopped, got down on all fours and sniffed the ground with his partially-formed doggy nose. He frowned. "Damn demons."

"Demons? How did they get here?" asked the younger one, curious as hell and her nose hurting from the overwhelming stench of blood.

"Probably their drive for the jewel, sis," the young lad replied morosely.

The pink-eyed one blinked. "What do you mean?" she asked in her high alto voice.

"You know, the Shikon no Tama?"

The girl wrinkled her nose. "Mommy and Daddy told us their tale. I know more than *you* could ever remember, because YOU never bothered to listen!! Just like Mommy said she used to when her gran'pa told her all those tales, including about the /Kappa/ water sprite!"

The boy blinked and looked down at his sister. "You remember it all from start to finish, don't you?"

The female albino nodded. "Yep. Now let's go find Mommy and Daddy."

They continued on their trek across the rooftops. The girl suddenly caught her foot on a shingle and fell through the already ruined ceiling with a scream.

The boy stopped. "SEISHIN!!" he yelped. The dog-boy hopped back and purposely fell through, landing easily on his feet. His sister sat on the floor, sniffling. The boy snorted. "I thought you were being eaten by a demon, not fallin' through some burnt roof that smells a lot like..." He sniffed the air and slowly made his way out the broken door, following the scent.

"Nekome? Where are you goin'?"

"Oh, god... I smell our parents, sis... and they don't smell alive."

"Nan da to...?!!" She scrambled to her feet and stopped by her brother's side. The bodies before them weren't rotted just yet, but they stank of battle and blood. She broke into tears and her brother held her close. "Nekome!!" she wailed, sniffling.

"What I don't get, sis, is why they would keep our brother here, but send only US to America? I know that he was given our father's latest sword carving, and that he was one of the favorites of Dad, but..."

"But, what, oniisan?" she asked, wiping furiously at her wet, puffy eyes.

"...I dunno. Maybe I'm just trying to fool myself into thinking there was an excuse. We could have helped fight those demons!" he replied, holding back his own tears.

"...And get killed in the process!" the girl replied firmly. "I don't think that's what they wanted! Wait, how much of the Shikon Jewel did they collect, again?"

"Almost all of it, but somehow Mom lost sight of the Jewel Shards during their journey and they really couldn't continue it. They couldn't use Kaede, because although she could see them, she was too old, and was needed in the village. Not only that, dad's ex-girlfriend, Kikyo, wasn't too cooperative."

"Then, you know what?" she asked, her eyes drying.

Curious, gold eyes focused on pink ones. "What?"

"We gotta find oniisan Kurohi!"

"Wait, let's go to the well. We have Jewel Shards, remember? We'll go there, into the Sengoku-jidai. Kurohi's probably there. His scent is still pretty fresh."

"Okay! Shall I get any of my stuffs?"

"Just get your bow. You may be needed for long range shots, and, anyway, I don't want you hurt. What kinda brother would I be?"

She giggled. "A fourteen-year-old who doesn't care about his ten-year-old sister?"

"Duh. Iku ze!"

"Matte!! I need my clothes!!" She dashed inside, her older brother following her. In her room, she pulled out several kimonos and handed some red garbs from a trunk to Nekome. He realized that they were sewn from fire rats' fur. "Let's put these on so we'll blend in better!"

"Not in front of you!" he retorted stiffly, raising his chin so his nose pointed in the air. He looked at his sister through the corner of his eye.

"Of course! You go change into your room before I OSUWARI-"

Her brother suddenly fell face-first into the carpet.

"-you!" She blinked and giggled. "Oops, I didn't mean to sit-"

Just as he was starting to get up, he fell down again.

"-you... Gomen..." She smiled awkwardly and ushered him out of her room - and the crater in the floor - as soon as he could walk. She changed into a white and red kimono that looked like Kikyo's and when she came out, Nekome was in a red kimono of his own that Daddy wore during his life in the Feudal Era. "Okay! Let's go!!"

Exiting the home, they entered the Well-House that hid the Bone-Eater's Well.

"Seishin, get onto my back," he instructed.

Securing the bow and arrows across her back, the girl got onto her brother's back, wrapping her legs around his waist and arms around his neck. "Ready."

"Okay." He jumped with a light grunt, and a strange light enveloped them. Soon enough, they hit the bottom of the well lightly. Nekome grinned as he looked up at the blue sky, then the grin mutated into something wicked, and he chuckled evilly. Seishin sweat-dropped and her ears flattened against her head. She knew what her brother had in mind.

"No~~~ big brother! No-"

Her brother picked her up and threw her up out of the well, giggling as her shrieks pierced the air, and most likely alerting their brother if he was there, possibly.

***

The full demon's elfin and quarter demon's black ears perked up at the sound of a scream. Kurohi abruptly stood up, blue eyes wide. "Oh no! Imouto!!"

"You have a little sister?"

Kurohi nodded once. "Hai. Seishin-chan! Later, Sesshou-Maru!" He flitted off across the tops of trees, and eventually came across a white-haired, pink-eyed girl with white dog ears. He stopped and embraced the girl tightly. "Seishin-chan! I thought you and Nekome-chan were in America!"

"W-we got back on our own."

Kurohi frowned and backed off slightly, gripping her shoulders. "You and he ran back... all the way from there?"

"Yeah," Nekome replied cockily, sitting on a tree branch. There was a silence. "What, you aren't happy to see your otouto? We crossed the water for THIS kind of fuckin' greeting?!" His dark gray ears twitched. His white hair re-spiked itself as he jumped down and ran a hand through them. He folded his arms, resting his hands on the insides of the red sleeves of his kimono. "What, do I have to actually say, fuckin' /hello/ to get even a fuckin' /kon'chi wa/ in return?!!"

"OSUWARI!!"

Nekome was thrust into the ground by BOTH his siblings. After a moment, he groaned and sat up. "What was THAT for?!!"

"That was for your potty mouth. You need to stop tainting her pure ears." Kurohi hoisted his sister across his shoulders. Her legs dangled against the boy's chest and she held on by grabbing his dog-ears.

"Yeah, it's no nice to taint my pretty wittle ears!" she chimed in, then paused a moment. "Oniisan?"

"Mmm?" replied Kurohi absently as his sister gently petted his black ears.

"Did someone piss you off?" she asked, sensing his tense body shift slightly.

"Seishin!" he reprimanded. "But, yeah, the younger version of our mom pissed me off." He seemed calmer and a tad more sedated with his sister around. He liked her more than his brother, and held a special affection toward her. He flicked his ears and Seishin reached up to rub them again, hearing the soft sigh he uttered. She let go of his ear and it flicked again with disappointment.

"Ooh! What'd she do THIS time?" she yipped just before she let go of his ear. It was always fun to see the eldest brother get into fights with their mother.

He snorted. "She did not let me explain about something of minor importance, and she took it like it was a big deal. Let's go find Miroku. C'mon, Nekome." His tail grabbed his brother by the ear and started to drag him with them.

"Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-owwwww!!"

"Quit your howling, Nekome," drawled Kurohi.

He stood up and wrenched the tail away from his ear. He caught up with his two siblings.

Kurohi grinned. "Race ya."

Nekome snorted. "With that weight on ya, you'll never win!"

"Just try me! Ready-"

Nekome started to run. Kurohi caught up and dashed ahead, calling, "I'll meet you at the site! Later!!"

Kurohi dashed to the site near the edge of Inu-Yasha's forest and stopped upon seeing Miroku, Kirara, Shippou, and Sango, but no Inu-Yasha.

"Oi, Miroku, where's pops?" Kurohi asked, eyeing Seishin one last time before making eye contact with the monk. He hoped that Nekome didn't reveal anything... interesting... about himself. He also hoped that he himself wouldn't do the same about Nekome, who was, in reality, a smart-ass, peeping tom.

He shrugged. "Went to find Kagome. Who's that on your shoulders? And who's that behind you?"

Nekome stepped forth. "MY name's Nekome, and the girl on by oniisan's shoulders name's Seishin."

"You're..."

"Siblings. The sons and daughter of Inu-Yasha and Kagome Higurashi," replied Nekome, grinning.

Seishin jumped off the shoulders she perched on. She looked at Kirara and smiled. "Kirara, come."

"Prrr?" the cat demon approached the child and allowed herself to be petted. The quarter-dog-demon giggled while indulging herself in that task.

Nekome snorted and fingered the Prayer Beads around his neck. Shippou, Miroku and Sango chuckled. "You can be /sat/, too, Nekome?"

The albino shrugged and grunted an affirmative.

Kurohi patted the fourteen-year-old's head. "Yes, because of his rude potty-mouth and temper. Not only that, he peeks under girls' skirts. Especially when they're playing certain games that include jumping."

So much for not revealing anything...

The monk chuckled and wrapped an arm about the youngest boy's shoulders. "Now, Nekome, let me indulge you on some of my... /secrets/, ne?"

Nekome's eyes widened and a mischievous glint could be seen. "Do~ tell!"

Sango sighed as the two boys wandered off somewhere to talk. She crouched near the girl and touched one ear. It flicked and she turned her head, grinning like an idiot.

"How old are you?" asked the demon huntress.

"Ten. I age at a human speed, but Mommy said that I might retain a young-adult youth half as long as Daddy did.. er, does, er..."

"Just say /does/ because in this timeline, he is still young, okay, sis?" asked Kurohi. "Besides, he still looks the same here as he does then, and mom still looks like she's sixteen then, too." He closed his eyes a moment and rested.

There was silence until a ruffling of fabric and leaves came from above. Inu-Yasha landed near Kurohi and silently motioned the girl.

Kurohi smirked. "Your future daughter." He called, "Oh, and, Seishin?"

She looked up and saw her Daddy. She bounded up and hugged him tightly around the neck, giggling. The hanyou's eyes went wide as he supported her weight. One hand held up her bottom while the other rested against the back of her head. He looked up as Kurohi spoke again, this time, with a low tone.

"The bad thing is, is that she and Nekome, your other future son, have Jewel Shards inside them, like I did."

----------------------------------------

Ooh, we have another Peeping Tom AND more Jewel Shards! What will Inu-Yasha do?

Finished 6/26/03 Revised: 2:09PM June 29, 2004