InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Quarter-Demon ❯ A Strange New... Ally? ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Quarter-Demon

Chapter Five: A Strange New... Ally?

By Kurohi Tatsaki

"speaking" ***POV switch/Passing of Time

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu-Yasha! Don't sue! I'm broke!

----------------------------------------

Inu-Yasha blinked at Kurohi. He held the boy's sister - his future daughter - in his arms. She had her short legs wrapped around his waist and clung to him tightly. [So, these "kids" of mine contain Jewel Shards inside of them, eh? It's a wonder that they haven't gone mad or under some sort of mind control, like Kohaku.]

Vaguely, he wondered why the eldest had a tail AND held quarter-part-demon inside, but none of the others did. Did it only affect the eldest son, just like Kurohi and Sesshou-Maru?? They were both elder sons, after all.

"Hi, daddy! I'm so glad you're alive in this realm!! I missed you already!!" she chirped, grinning, and showing tiny fangs.

"Uh... eh? What?"

She blinked her pretty pink eyes and her ears twitched. She giggled. "Never mind, Daddy. Do you want my Jewel Shard?"

The hanyou frowned pretty cutely. His gold eyes took on an aura of puzzlement. Gosh, his so-called "children" acted - or behaved - so willing to give up the power of the Sacred Jewel... "I do, but..." he paused. [I don't want you to get hurt. You're just a kid.]

She smiled. "I know. You don't want me to get hurt?" It sounded more of a statement than a question, though.

The half-demon's shocked expression told her that he was thinking on the same lines. "Well..."

"Kurohi?" asked the young sister. Her ears twisted to face her older brother.

Kurohi stepped forward, eyeing his little sister. [She wants me to remove it...] "If I..." He paused and took in a ragged breath. [Calm! He had to remain CALM!] "If I remove your Jewel Shard..." [Calm, calm, calm, calm!] was his little mantra. It was almost ignored completely. "...but I don't want you to be hurt..." [I'm your brother. I'm not supposed to hurt you.]

"If you don't do it, we may not live after this little /adventure/. Please, big brother..." she pleaded, pink eyes set now on him. Her lips set themselves into a line on her rounded face. [I can handle this. I have to prove to you that I can give as much as I take!]

[Such bravery in the face of pain.] He closed his eyes. [Wise beyond her years already...? A normal child would have run away screaming even at the sight of a needle.] He looked up. "Okay.. but, this'll hurt quite a bit... here." He offered his sparsely-muscled right forearm. "Bite down if you have to, okay?"

She nodded bravely. Her eyes shone with courage. "Yeah! I'm gonna be invincible to pain! Just like you!"

Inu-Yasha blinked and his eyes narrowed a little with confusion. Kurohi... impenetrable to pain? [How did that happen? Did he sell his soul or something?]

His free clawed-hand quickly pierced her shoulder and came out with blood and a shard. He felt fangs in his other arm and snorted at the pain, trying NOT to laugh, but his lips twisted upward with the strain. He offered the shard to Inu-Yasha in his now-bloodied left hand. "Whatever you do with the Shikon no Tama, please don't become a full demon, or else I will not exist..." His grin seemed to double and he snickered. "unless you don't want me to exist, then go right ahead."

"Keh..." He took the bloody shard and pried the now-unconscious girl's fangs off her brother's arm. He frowned as Kurohi snorted again with contained laughter. "What's so funny?"

"My arm stings..." He scrunched-up his face and bit his lip, but in the end, that was futile to the fierce laughter that forced its way from his body. "Ha-haa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!"

"THAT'S what's so funny?" [Okay, I'm officially freaked out now! Somebody knock him upside the head!!]

"Pain..." he mumbled, eyeing the visibly, slowly closing wound of fang holes. Un-clotted blood freely flowed from them and dripped to the ground, mingling with his sister's. "...the pain's funny... It hurts like hell, but my mind..." He shook his head and turned around as he smelled three people. "Oh! Sesshou-Maru-san! Rin-chan! Jaken! Kon'nichi wa!" He dashed over. Inu-Yasha pulled Tetsusaiga.

"Sesshou-Maru!!" The Tetsusaiga transformed.

Kurohi ignored his dad. He said pretty loudly so that Inu-Yasha could hear, "So, you've decided to help us find the shards of the Shikon no Tama?"

"Yes," he uttered with a nod. He frowned slightly. He smelled blood on this boy... and the blood was similar to four others. "But know that that will not last for long, ningen-youkai."

The boy didn't even blink. He shrugged. "Don'na." He turned his back and glided back to the group. He smirked at Inu-Yasha. "Now we have more help to kill off Naraku."

The albino frowned slightly. "Mattak', my brother...? What'd you do?" he asked. He folded his arms into his sleeves. His ears twitched once.

"I just told him his very existence was in jeopardy if we didn't collect all the shards of the Jewel. Now, in our inventory, we need to get Nekome's... Anyway, Kagome, how many shards are there left, do y'think?" Kurohi asked, striding toward a tree and leaning against the trunk of it.

Kagome glanced at the thick shard that Inu-Yasha held between two claws, and then looked at the Shikon no Tama. "Aaah, just a few more, I think!" she chirped happily. "I can't believe we're almost done! All I know is that now that we have this large shard back - as well as the three from the kids - we only need Kouga's, Naraku's... and Kohaku's."

Inu-Yasha's eyes brightened, despite knowing the fact that if Kohaku's shard was removed, it would mean his death. "Really?! Here, Kagome." He held out the shard to the reincarnated Miko, and Kagome easily fitted it into a crevice. It suddenly merged with the large chunk.

Kurohi smirked. "Unless I'm mistaken," He paused, something tickling his mind like a cool wind. "we just have to chase Naraku and get Nekome's shard for the rest! Isn't this great?!" he chirped, despite what sensed. The sensation running through his veins, ears, and nose was ALMOST distracting.

"Almost"... quite the understatement.

Frowning, Nekome stepped up as Kagome pointed out the shard in the boy's right biceps. Obediantly, Nekome pulled off his haori and the white undercoat underneath and pulled it out himself. Fortunately, it wasn't in as deep as the others' shards and he only flinched as if it were a splinter when it was removed. Using his clean hand, he handed the shard over and slung the upper part of his kimono back on.

~~~POV change~~~

I looked at Seishin, who had fallen asleep against her young father. "I'll take her. After all, you're still a better fighter than me." I held out my arms, and the girl was placed in them. Affectionately, apologetically - I couldn't tell which - I nuzzled her nose with my own and rested my forehead against hers. "Seishin... arigatou..." Slowly, I slid down to sit, settled down on the ground, and closed my eyes.

Images of blood and death flooded my mind instantly, and I frowned against the memoires. My horrid mind - evil as it was - replayed every single god-damned detail in horrifying realism.

That mind of mine flickered to my girlfriend... and I heard her voice, just as it was yesterday.

"Oi! Kurohi-chan!"

I felt a smile tug my features. I let it take control and take my eyes into its embrace. She was really pretty. Black hair and beautiful green eyes - a beauty, indeed. She walked with grace far stronger than those other air-headed teens.

She had met me while I was in the art room.

She tugged on one of my black locks of hair. "You wanted to see me?"

I nodded and leaned my head against her arm, nuzzling her slender biceps with my nose. "Yeah... There's something about me you need to know... to see... to realize."

"Having a hard time with your adjectives?" she giggled.

I shook my head and my grin widened. "Nope. I meant them all. Anyway, could you come with me?"

She nodded. I led her out of the school and into a small forest nearby. We were alone, but not overwhelmingly so. She could easily reach someone should she go running and screaming.

"Why are we going here?"

"I told you... I have to show you... me..."

She frowned. "What?"

I breathed deeply. "I wish... to become.. hanyou......"

My body shifted and rippled gently. I felt stronger and I felt my tail come back, erupting from my school's dark pants. My ears moved up and heard more than they ever could when I was human. I opened my now blue eyes and gazed at her lovingly.

"So... Azenhikari-chan... This is...--"

She suddenly shrieked, "Eeewww, a mutant! What the fuck are you?!?!" She pointed a finger at me. My happiness disappeared. "I'm gonna tell the whole school that they brought in a demon!! You monster! You go die off with your own damned kind!! Go away!!"

My eyes lost their gleam. "Demo, Azen--"

A rock bounced off my head, and then another. I blinked at this and frowned. I swatted away an incoming rock. "Azen-chan, kudasai..."

"Go the fuck away!!" she screamed. "I don't know why I ever had a crush on you!! You disgrace to nature! Now go away before I--"

I loomed up in front of her and my expression could kill anyone, if looks COULD kill. However, my eyes watered. I was truly hurt. My heart... it felt like it was being torn to shreds.

"--Before you what? You really can't kill me." My eyes frowned, taking my eyebrows with them. "I admit, I have demon in me, but I wanted to show you my truest form because I both trusted AND loved you. However, you have every right to not like me, but was it only for my other self? Did you love me BEFORE I decided to come clean with you - to tell you the truth that has been clawing at me from the inside out? If that's true, then why have YOU toyed with me - my feelings?"

"I didn't KNOW you were this monstrosity! Had I known, I would have dumped you LONG AGO!"

My eyes widened. I had to leave soon, but not without a few more words...

I couldn't help it. A few tears slipped down my face and landed on my uniform. My ears flattened in a way of uke-ness. "Azen, I hate to admit this to you, but you are really, really, REALLY shallow. You only loved me because of my brown eyes and human appearance... not because of who I truly am... It's over, Azen, but I guess those words were what you wanted to say, you air-headed ningen."

With that, I wished myself back as a human, and went my own way.

And that night, I cried myself to sleep, vowing, even with a shattered heart, never to love again.

Then, the next day, my last form, my last hope of comfort, was destroyed. No... they were not ever materials.

They were my loving, beautiful parents.

My melancholy rest was suddenly interrupted - I heard a noise. My ears twitched; I looked up and twisted my ears toward the sound. Setting my sister down on the ground, I dashed back into the forest. The green expanse whisked around me in a haze of dark color. The greens and browns merged to become one surge of motion, but I was the only one moving, of course. I raced across the soft ground, but I really couldn't tell because my shoes were on. Perhaps it was because of the faint sound of grass giving underneath my fleeting weight.

The noise led me to the left, and I followed it. What was it? Why was I so wanting to find out who - or what - was there?

So strange. I had never felt like this before... except when I was with that one girl who, in the end, turned me down yesterday. To even think of her name brought me pain.

I paused and frowned. Since when had I been one to scout out anything? Sure, my senses were decent, but they were only second best with Sesshou-Maru being the only one who could smell ANYTHING like Inu-Yasha, who's cold was nearly deleted by some of Mother's medicine some time while I was gone.

I snorted for practically no reason and sniffed the air some more. Such a scent... so... alluring...--

My feet started moving toward the scent of their own accord. They moved slowly, as if afraid to scare the scent off.

--I didn't know... I really didn't know who could ever make such a scent... I felt afraid and eager all at once. It was quite unnerving. I felt like screaming. Crying. Whatever.

Wait, this sensation.. isn't.. love. Love is supposed to be warm and inviting... not cold and repulsing... It's supposed to be filled with content and not dread.

My mind swam; my feet were pulled further into the forest. My emotions were a raging sea, clashing into each other in large waves. Peace was far from my grasp, but I smelled that soothing scent before me. Again, I don't claim to have my father's sense of smell, but...

My feet took another turn, red clothing threatening to catch under my feet. My hair was pulled tenderly by the soft breeze, and my bangs were in my sight. I reached up and grasped a spike that parted by the force of my fingertips when they rubbed together.

The scent overpowered me and I panted. My god...! Whatever scent that was, it affected my whole body. I never felt something like this so strong, even with Azenhikari!

Again, I wanted to scream or cry... or both.

And again, this sensation isn't... couldn't be... love.

I covered my nose with the collar of my shirt and sensed the scent behind me. I spun around...

...and then, I was greeted to the sight of...

Bright pink eyes, all-knowing. She had short blond hair and wore a strange outfit. She was two inches shorter than me. She had a tote bag of sorts slung over one shoulder, and held another bag in her right hand. She also had a knowing smirk to match those gleaming eyes.

She wore bands that had knives strapped to her left leg and right arm, and boots that climbed up to just below her knees. She wore a short-sleeved shirt that barely exposed her midsection and a skirt that went half-way down her thighs.

She looked dangerous. She scared me a little, too.

I had a feeling she had been waiting for me. No wonder I felt like yelling... this scenario screamed "ambush"! Nevertheless, I bottled up my mistrust and asked evenly, "Anata wa... dare da...?"

"Atashi wa... Celia."

"Celia..." I stood stock-still and my eyes roved across her features quickly. She had Jewel Shards. Two of them - one purified and one neutral. "Jewel Shards... Two of them... Why are you here? Have you been waiting for me?"

"Indeed I have, Kurohi."

I think my heart just stopped. Who the hell was she?! "Nani...?! How do you know my name?!"

"I've been keeping an eye on you for quite a while."

Spying on me?!

Vaguely, I felt my hand clench.

NO! My emotions couldn't control me! Not now! I sighed to restore some sense into my mind. I asked wearily, "How long, then?"

"Suffice it to say, I've been watching you for a while."

Warily, I sat on the grass and grasped my own tail in nervousness.

"But you've lost yourself, haven't you?" she asked cryptically, with a dose of pity.

I blinked. "Huh?"

"Being with that girl made you change into something you disliked... but it was supposedly all /worth her affections/..." she continued.

I growled. "You're goin' into dangerous territory, *girl*!" I warned. "I suggest you shut up about that before I cut off your head! And what's with the weird scent?! You look human, but you don't smell like one!"

"Who or what I am is none of your concern. I will sum it up to say that I am here to help complete the Jewel of Four Souls."

Help, huh? I really don't know if I can trust her... but then again, her eyes seem honest enough...

My grip on my tail tightens.

"What do you mean, /I changed into something I disliked/?" I ask. My anger has faded.

"You changed yourself to be what she wanted you to be and you never gave any thought to your own feelings and the person you really are." The smirk became even more pronounced.

I snorted. "The real me, huh? This IS me..." I replied confidently. ...Right? I mean, come on... Wait, I don't have a reason to fight what she says! How pathetic can that get?! "Unless, of course, you include the multiple forms I have!" Though, I have to admit, I'm a tad bit afraid of my demon self...

Strange, her words sapped what strength I used to stand up against anything or anyone... If I wasn't careful, she could easily... shatter me. She probably didn't refer to my human and demon forms as well as this one.

Damn her...

Then, what form did she mean? I don't get it. Wait...

"Wait! Don't answer that. You mean I... everything I did..." I frowned. "...a lie?"

No, not a lie. I just wanted to be...

She smiled, but it wasn't a happy expression. "You finally understand."

----------------------------------------

Celia belongs to Kohaku Frost from fanficton.net and adultfanfiction.net.

Mattaku (spelt Mattak' in this chapter) = Indeed; Really; Utterly. I heard Hiei say this once. "Mattak'... don'na Kuwabara no kizunchide!"

Azen = daze, Hikari = light. Don't ask me why I chose those words for a name.

Anata wa... dare da? = who...are you...?

Atashi wa = I am...

Finished 7/10/0 Revised: 5:17PM June 29, 2004

If you can't figure out what Kurohi realized, scroll down to see the answer.

Kurohi wanted to be accepted, so he changed himself to be what Azenhikari wanted: An affectionate, loving boyfriend that is seme - dominant - when, in fact, he is normally uke - submissive.