InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reflections In Your Tears ❯ Scroll One - Just The Beginning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll One
Just The Beginning…
The early morning sun filtered through the kitchen-window blinds, casting barred shadows across the table in the centre of the room.
The family of four sat around the table were quiet. Encircling them on the walls were unblinking, motionless images of themselves. Perfect family portraits - nothing but a happy family…
As if. “Thanks for breakfast, Mum,” Inuyasha sighed as he stood up, taking his plate over to the sink. The room was suddenly jerked out of hibernation and the family seemed to wake up. Without a word, Inuyasha's elder brother raised his head. Sesshoumaru narrowed his amber eyes in quiet disapproval.
Inuyasha's mother, Izayoi, smiled - wrinkling up her nose. “I'm glad you like it, sweetie.” she rested a hand on the table and grinned at her husband, before collecting up the plates and putting them on the kitchen counter.
Sesshoumaru ran a steady hand through his long silver hair, trying to figure his brother out. His father opposite him was tapping an unknown rhythm out on the table - smiling limply. Izayoi was too cheery this morning and Inuyasha was really quiet. Even his father was acting odd.
There was something Sesshoumaru was clearly missing here…
Looking around the room, he found the cause of the problem. “It's you,” Sesshoumaru spoke softly, frowning at Inuyasha.
“Pardon?” Inuyasha turned, startled, as he reached for his school bag. He blinked furiously, his red bandana bringing out the uncertainty in his eyes. But he sighed and then gazed casually at his parents in sudden understanding. “Oh, so you've noticed,” he said drolly.
Inuyasha slung a hand over his shoulder, gesturing at the calendar on the wall. “What day is it, Sesshoumaru?” he asked, sarcastically - smiling innocently.
Sesshoumaru turned away. “Yeah, well, I
chose to forget it.” He scowled.
“Sesshoumaru!” Izayoi gasped, looking sharply over her shoulder in disgust, just at the same time her husband spoke up. Inu-Sesshou leant forward and narrowed his eyes. “Would you mind repeating that, son?” he said harshly, almost daring him to.
But Inuyasha was grinning. “You know, Sesshoumaru, you're really mature,” he joked, before waving over his shoulder. “See ya later, Mum. Dad.”
“Inuyasha, don't go off to college like tha-” Inu-Sesshou stood up, but his youngest son was already disappearing out of the back door. It slammed shut before his eyes.
He turned slowly to Sesshoumaru. “Why do you always find a way to insult him?”
Sesshoumaru shrugged elegantly. “I didn't insult him. I just forgot his birthday.”
Izayoi slammed a rolling pin down on the counter. “
Exactly! He's your brother, you can't just-”
Half-brother,” Sesshoumaru cut in. He stood up and smiled loosely. “And what right do you have to contradict me? You're not my mother,” His grin widened. “And I don't even know what I'm doing here. I'm going home,”
“Sesshoumaru, you apologize right now!”
“Forget it, Father. I'm out of here. University calls,” Sesshoumaru picked up his jacket, making his way out of the room.
His father was red in the face and getting angry. His samurai-style ponytail swished from side to side as he shook his head.
“I-I'll… I'll... I'll rent out your room!” he cried.
Sesshoumaru laughed pleasantly. “An interesting thought, Father. But I'll pass. Besides, I have my own apartment - remember?” He pulled out a timetable from his jeans pocket and surveyed his subjects in distaste.
“Hm, history… and, what's with Latin? I don't remember putting Latin down on my application form-” he didn't finish properly.
He narrowed his eyes at his father in understanding, and then said quietly, “I'll be leaving now,”
“Be my guest,” Inu-Sesshou sighed, waving a hand absently. He seemed tired all of a sudden, and leant back in his dining-chair, exhausted.
Izayoi said in a clipped voice, “Say hi to Rin for me,”
Sesshoumaru froze.
Rin… He tucked his timetable away. “I'll be back by eight. I'm counselling Rin at the local library tonight so I won't be able to make it here in time for dinner. I'll just eat alone tonight, get a takeaway or something and be around after.”
Izayoi sighed, the dishes clattering in the sink as she attempted to wash them. “Sesshoumaru, you don't have to-”
The back door slammed. Sesshoumaru had already left.
Izayoi winced.
The warm outside air blew in, making Inu-Sesshou feel hot and bothered. He undid the top button of his dark-brown Calvin Klein t-shirt and blew his silver bangs of hair out of his eyes. “Roll on eight o'clock,” he grimaced.

I'm late… Inuyasha panted as he ran down the street, his trainers slapping against the floor at an inhuman speed. Because, of course, he wasn't human. And only his friends knew that, only his family, because they were the only ones who would understand…
“Hey, Inuyasha!”
“It's about
time!”
Inuyasha came to a halt, bending over and placing his hands on his knees. He started taking deep breaths, his face a shade of pink.
Miroku had his dark hair in a small ponytail, which contrasted to Koga's long thick hair that ran down to his shoulders - even with the high ponytail in place. The two both had blue eyes, except Miroku's were more of a deep violet, and Koga's were icy-clear and the colour of agate crystal.
“Did I miss anything?” Inuyasha panted, standing up to his full height. He looked around at his friends.
Koga sniffed. “Not much. Hojo's ignoring us again,”
Miroku grinned. “Yeah! He won't come anywhere
near us after you yelled at him like that…”
Inuyasha flashed a grin and stood up. “Yeah, well, he deserved it….”
The three smiled in recognition of last night - of seeing Hojo run for his life at the sight of Inuyasha growling. And then…
“Ah, great. Here he comes…” Koga rolled his eyes, nodding in the direction of a brown-haired boy running over.
Hojo was panting, holding out a hand as if telling the three to stop. They weren't going anywhere.
Inuyasha sighed when the boy got close enough. “What do you want, Hojo?”
Hojo, his face tired, was gasping for breaths and clutching his chest in pain. “Look, I've come to apologize.”
Inuyasha snorted. “Forget it,”
Koga sniffed and Miroku looked away, fiddling with his ponytail with uncertain blue eyes. Hojo looked desperate. “I didn't mean it. I didn't know that guy was your brother, I'm sorry.”
Miroku and Koga began backing away, shaking their heads in confusion. Inuyasha wanted to follow them, but he couldn't. He was frozen on the spot. “M-My brother…?” he stared at Hojo, his eyes widening in disbelief.
“Hojo, that isn't what I… What the hell did you do to Sessh-”
Hojo stepped backwards uncertainly. “You didn't know? Uh… well, uh.” He looked left and right, his eyes wild, and then smiled innocently. “Later, Inuyasha!”
Inuyasha was stood, pinned to the spot. He actually let Hojo run away - which was what he couldn't understand afterwards. He gulped.
Koga and Miroku were standing awkwardly a few feet away. Inuyasha turned, and for a minute he seemed to be taller than them. It was as if fire was licking the air around him. His eyes were narrowed.
“What's going on?” he asked slowly, clenching his fists. Koga and Miroku shrugged - they didn't actually know. Inuyasha slowly walked forward, angrily. They must know… they must!
When he got close enough, Miroku tugged on his bandana.
“Look, I'm sure it's nothing, Inu.”
Koga fidgeted on the spot. “Guys, maybe we should get to our classes-”
At that moment, a girl with fiery-red hair ran over. “Koga! Koga, did ya hear?”
Koga turned to stare down at his girlfriend, Ayame. Her bright green eyes were anxious.
“What is it, Ayame?” he asked, tired. Miroku leant his head on his shoulder, peering over at the younger girl. Inuyasha stood tense, trying not to look like he was listening.
Ayame bit her bottom lip delicately. “That girl from the primary school - Rin, I think her name is. Well, the foster house she lives at - you know she's an orphan, right? - well, they are saying she ran away last night…”
Inuyasha turned. “What!”
Oh God, not Rin… How could she run away? She's only seven, for crying out loud! What's Sesshoumaru gonna say…?
Ayame nodded at Inuyasha, enjoying being the centre of attention for once. “And that's not all. Hojo saw her yesterday with your brother, Inuyasha. The police are involved now. They caught up with your brother on the way to uni this morning.”
Inuyasha shook his head in disbelief. “Children go missing over night all the time. She's probably at a relatives… How did they suddenly jump to my brother being involved?”
Ayame paused, and then took a deep breath. “He was the last person to see her. The police always link things like this, but I'm sure it's nothing, Inu.”
Koga scowled, looking around for any traces of Hojo. “Which explains why Hojo was apologizing…”
Inuyasha shook his head. “No. Sesshoumaru is Rin's mentor. She's like his… his sister. I swear he would never do anything to put her in danger,”
Ayame sighed and looked for comfort in Koga's arms. He wrapped his arms around her and rested his head on hers.
“I'm sorry…” she whispered into Koga's chest, looking lost and sad.
Inuyasha frowned. “Do the police have him? Now, I mean?”
Ayame looked up slowly, and then nodded. “That's what the others are saying. Ginta and Hakkaku are spreading it around the whole school,” she added, unimpressed.
Miroku frowned. He looked up at his friend. “Inuyasha, what are you going to do?”
Inuyasha looked fierce. “I'm gonna go and find my brother-”
Koga shook his head. “Sesshoumaru wouldn't appreciate it. Besides we've gotta get to college. Miroku can go check on him for you.”
Being nineteen, Miroku was already out of college. He was taking a twilight course there but not today, and he was going to be applying for uni at the end of the year.
He wore a short-sleeved purple shirt that read `Jesus is coming - look busy', and black baggy jeans with hanging strips of material and bulky chains.
Miroku nodded. “Yeah. I'll go see him, if you want me to.”
Ayame blinked and then pulled out of Koga's arms. “We're late for class. Come on, we're missing forensic science.” She straightened out her black miniskirt, trying and failing to smooth out the plaits in it.
Inuyasha sagged, defeated. “Sure…” he looked at Miroku wistfully. “I know he hates me, and I… well he's not exactly the best big brother in the world. But make sure he's okay.”
Miroku gave him the thumbs-up. “Sure,”
Inuyasha sighed and glanced at Koga and Ayame without really seeing them. “Let's get to class,”