InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reflections In Your Tears ❯ Scroll Two - Interrogation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll Two
Interrogation
“I told you. I don't know anything. I took her out for a McDonalds last night, asked her how she was coping at the foster house and took her back. I was at my parent's house by seven o'clock.” Sesshoumaru sighed in a careless voice, looking around at the dull, interrogation-room walls.
Foolish humans…
“Can your parents provide you an alibi?” the police officer quizzed, leaning forward in his chair.
Sesshoumaru smiled politely and stared at the sandy-haired officer. “Yes. And so can my little brother.”
The policeman frowned and looked at his colleague, who was writing things down on a notepad. The policeman looked back at Sesshoumaru. “How old is your brother?” he asked.
Sesshoumaru grimaced. He waved a hand. “Sixteen. Uh, no, I mean - he's seventeen
today. He's in college.”
“Uh huh,” the policeman nodded. “Does your brother have a name?”
Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes. “Inuyasha,”
The policeman nodded. “Does
he know this girl?” he waved a picture of Rin in front of Sesshoumaru's face.
Sesshoumaru scowled. “He knows her, but he doesn't see her like I do.”
“And what exactly
is your relationship with Rin?”
Sesshoumaru shrugged, tossing his silver hair back over his shoulder. “There is no relationship. A lecturer at my university said I should do some extra-curricular activities to put on my CV. He signed me up to be her mentor. My father was quick to accept it - to `teach me responsibility' he said,”
The policeman smiled. “From what we've heard that didn't exactly work out. Come on. Where's the girl?”
Sesshoumaru sighed. “I don't
know where she is.” But I hope she's safe…
“You were the last person to see her.”
Sesshoumaru nodded. “And…?”
The policeman frowned, then he switched off the interview tape. Sesshoumaru seemed unaffected. He smiled limply, wondering what kind of game these humans were playing. He flexed his hands in thought.
“Can we have this room?” the interrogator asked his colleague, also acknowledging the guard standing by the door.
They nodded and left without a word.
Isolated, the interrogator and the suspect stared at each other. Then the sandy-haired officer grimaced, showing pearly white teeth. “Sesshoumaru, that's your name, isn't it?”
Sesshoumaru nodded.
The officer continued. “Where was your brother last night?” he asked.
Sesshoumaru waved a hand absently. “What's that got to do with anything?”
“Just answer my question,” the officer snapped.
Sesshoumaru sighed. “How do I know? It was the night before his birthday, maybe he went out with his friends, maybe he stayed at home - I don't know, I'm not his keeper.”
“What would you say if I said that your parents believe he didn't come home last night? He was out until the early hours of the morning.”
Sesshoumaru leaned back in his chair. “It's a free country, isn't it? My brother often goes out for walks.”
“In the middle of the night?”
Sesshoumaru shrugged elegantly. His eyes glinted.
The officer's smile widened. “Well, we talked to your parents after we brought you in this morning. They said he left the house immediately after you did.”
“Maybe going out suddenly became a good idea. Maybe he was just following my lead. I don't live with my brother - I don't keep tabs on him,”
“Indeed,” the policeman grinned. “Would he be capable of following you?”
“And why would he do a thing like that?” Sesshoumaru grinned. His eyes were narrowing, glinting almost red. He was getting tired, uncomfortable and angry. Not a good combination for a demon. If only this human understood…
The officer smiled cruelly. “Why would he follow you? Maybe to abduct a little girl,”
Sesshoumaru laughed. He threw back his head and laughed at the mere thought of it. “Inuyasha wouldn't do that. He's father's golden boy - he would never do anything like that,”
The policeman narrowed his eyes. “Maybe so. But I could arrest your brother right now if I wanted to,”
Sesshoumaru stopped laughing.
What!
“Why would you do that?” Sesshoumaru growled.
The officer, glad he was having an impact, chuckled. “Maybe to get
someone to tell me where the girl, Rin, is,”
Sesshoumaru leant over the table, his eyes dark. “I don't KNOW where Rin is! I haven't seen her since last night! You can't pin this on me
or my brother!”
The policeman looked uncertain as he leant backwards - away from Sesshoumaru.
Sesshoumaru looked fierce. “I may not like my brother, but you are not calling him in for something he didn't do! That would be a disgrace!”
Sesshoumaru slowly eased up and sat back, tired. “Look. Rin may be an orphan but surely she has other relatives?”
The policeman shook his head. “Nope. You're the only person she knows outside of the foster home. And things are looking pretty bad for you, my friend.”
I'm not your friend, Sesshoumaru thought. “Couldn't someone have nabbed her off the streets? Maybe she went out for some fresh air…”
“You said that with little emotion. Surely if you tutor this girl you would be upset that she's missing…”
Sesshoumaru scowled, then looked down into his lap. “I want her to be found.” He said, his voice hardly steady. He was trembling with anger. “But you aren't doing your job properly,” He raised his head, and suddenly his eyes weren't a cold amber - they were ruby red.
Sesshoumaru's mouth opened in a snarl - opening in way that was impossible for a human mouth. It almost seemed like he was transforming
It-It's not possible… thought the officer, backing away and standing up.
Sesshoumaru laughed, his voice deep. “Fool. If you don't find the girl, I won't be responsible for my actions.”
The officer started gibbering, walking backwards until his back pressed against the cold cell wall. “Wh-What
are you?” he cried, hoarsely.
Sesshoumaru smiled, and his eyes changed back to normal. He shut his mouth, and almost resembled a human again. Almost. The officer had been pretty sure that the marks on his face were tattoos or markings from a cult group. Now he wasn't so sure.
“I'm immortal,” Sesshoumaru straightened up, his voice no longer deep but flat and laced with pride.
The officer gulped in spite of himself. Then pressed a button on the walkie-talkie clipped to his vest.
“Bruce and Jackson, come in.” he spoke into it, unsteadily. There was static on the other end, and then a reply.
Yes?”
The officer didn't keep his eyes off Sesshoumaru. He was shaking in fear.
Sesshoumaru smiled and shut his eyes, leaning back as if relaxing.
“It's… It's Kemp, here. I want you to pick up someone for questioning. Over.”
Again, the white noise and then a reply. “
Address? Name?”
“Inuyasha. Uh, last name: Daioshuu. He's seventeen. Goes to the local college. Over.”
Sesshoumaru started whistling, uninterested. He'd scared the human - that was all he'd wanted to do.
Okay, we'll bring him in ASAP. Over.”
“Good,” Officer Kemp pressed a button on his walkie-talkie, ending the call. He then glanced at Sesshoumaru and flinched.
“I'll send out a party to look for the girl,” he said. Then, afraid of what else to say, he began to walk away.
Sesshoumaru smiled. “Happy hunting. Oh, and by the way, my brother's smart. By the time your buddies get to the college - he'll be long gone.”

Inuyasha stared at the white board without really seeing it. All he kept thinking about was the maths test later on in the day. Maths was his worse subject. He hated it more than anything else in the world.
Sighing, he tried to get his mind tuned into fingerprints and DNA, but he really couldn't be bothered.
Forensic science was a drag. Inuyasha just wasn't good at school full stop - so why did his father bother to send him? He should know that all Inuyasha wanted to do was-
Inuyasha smelt something then. Something new. Two people. His sense of smell was far better than any human's, and with the wind blowing scents through the open window he could smell the new arrivals as if they were there in front of him.
Two police officers.
Inuyasha's forensics class was a ground floor classroom, and the windows gave a view of the back car park. A police car had just driven in.
But why do I feel like they're coming to get me…?
Inuyasha's instincts had never let him down before. My brother has just been taken in - the police have no doubt talked to Mum and Dad already. Now they want me…But what could I possibly say that-?
Inuyasha froze. I was out last night and I didn't tell anyone where I was going… “Damn,” he whispered, bowing his head. Not good, definitely not good. So, they might be coming for me after all…
Inuyasha, luckily, was sat by an open window. And as soon as the lecturer's back was turned, he bolted out of it - without making a single sound. No one seemed to notice except Koga on his right, who slipped into his vacant seat without a word.
The wolf-demon nodded at his friend, almost saying `I'll cover for you', and acted like Inuyasha hadn't been in the class at all.
As soon as Inuyasha was outside, he started running - well, running and jumping - to the only place he knew was safe.
Home.