InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reflections In Your Tears ❯ Scroll Five - The Comatose Angel Rewakens ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll Five
The Comatose Angel Reawakens
The flap flopped loosely back into place as soon as Inuyasha bolted out. And there, with her centipede coils wrapped around a hut the opposite side of the square, was Mistress Centipede - the demon who had got him into this mess.
Inuyasha frowned. “Hey! Insect! Is it me you want!” he shouted, waving his arms to attract her attention. Shippo dashed out of the building behind him. “Inuyasha, head for the Bone Eaters well you came out of. We'll set a trap by the Go Shinboku,”
Inuyasha nodded. “Got it,” he told Shippo. “Hey, ugly!” he cried, starting to run towards the forest in the distance - the forest he'd arrived in… where Kagome was…
“Come on, hag, follow me! You want the jewel don't you?” he jeered.
Mistress Centipede loosened her coils around the building. She hissed. “Hanyou…”
Inuyasha felt like a little kid again, goading Sesshoumaru to chase him around the garden.
Come on, Sesshy! I've got your Fluffy!”
“Damn you, Inuyasha, give me Fluffy back!”
“Inuyasha, stop teasing your brother…” “Inuyasha that's not nice, give the blanket back to Sesshoumaru!”
“Come and get me, Sesshy! Na-na na-na-na!”
“Come on, wench, you can catch me can't ya?” Inuyasha cried, hating to admit that he was enjoying himself.
Mistress Centipede smiled nastily, her circular eyebrows rising at the prospect of a chase. She would enjoy this…
Shikon Jewel…” she purred, licking her lips as she followed Inuyasha.
Inuyasha smiled mischievously. “And this is where my demon blood kicks in…” he grimaced, getting ready to jump.
He was about to leap when the demon on his tail caught up with him.
Damn, I have no time to jump. Speed up, dammit!
Inuyasha's legs seemed to obey his command, he ran faster than he'd ever ran before. Soon the village dissolved and he was out - almost at the outer rim of the forest. The centipede demon, however, wasn't shaken. She was just as fast.
Give me the Shikon Jewel!” she roared.
Inuyasha frowned, suddenly bored with that monotonous sentence. “Look, I don't even
have it!” he cried, truthfully, speaking over his shoulder.
Liar!”
Mistress Centipede lunged and Inuyasha's eyes widened in fear - she was too close! He dived away from her, and it suddenly occurred to him that he was now at the top of the hill, and he was falling through the forest - landing, skidding.
He landed like a cat on all fours -he sat up and crouched, only to find that he'd shaken the centipede demon and standing in front of the Go Shinboku. And Kagome.
Inuyasha blinked furiously. He stared at the girl before him and realised something. She's just asleep, not dead. But it's a sleep she can't wake from unless Inukoshuu removes it. And Inukoshuu is dead…Inuyasha walked forward. But inside… she's still alive, she must be. I have to protect her from that demon.
He stepped forward, making his way over towards her. It was as if someone was pulling them together, connecting them with a cord. Inuyasha wanted to touch her - to feel her skin beneath his fingers. He'd never felt that for a girl before.
He felt as if he were invading a space that didn't belong to him. Someone else's territory. Inukoshuu
Inuyasha frowned. “What do I care? The guy's dead!” he frowned, making his way forward. He leant in close, and stroked Kagome's cheek with the back of his hand fondly.
What happened next made him lurch backwards in shock.
Kagome's eyes snapped open. “Who's dead, Inukoshuu?” she said softly.

Inuyasha fell back, his eyes wide. “W-What?” he stammered.
The dark haired angel laughed, throwing back her head.
Brown eyes… she has brown eyes… one part of Inuyasha's mind said, the other was whispering: she's alive! and the other simply said: Inukoshuu? I'm not Inukoshuu.
Kagome seemed to calm down. She was even more beautiful awake than she had been asleep. Her top lip indented her lower lip slightly, making her seem innocent - fragile. Her eyes were the colour and texture of milk chocolate; her hair was as black as the ebony notes on a piano.
And she looked… afraid. Upset. Used. But she was trying to hide it, trying to cover it up with maliciousness and hatred.
Kagome sneered. “Look who's lost for words now,” she grinned, then, flashing a row of pearly white teeth.
Inuyasha frowned. “Listen, girl, I know who you think I am, but you've got it wrong…”
Kagome cocked her head on one side, amused. “Oh really? Don't try and pull that one on me, Inukoshuu. You tried to kill me. In fact, you…” she stopped and her bottom lip quivered.
“…you did,” she finished, and at that moment she looked so alone, so sad… so heartbroken. And then she bowed her head and bit her bottom lip.
Inuyasha opened his mouth to speak, and then shut it. He placed a hand on Kagome's shoulder and stooped down so they were eye-to-eye.
Kagome raised her head to look at him.
Inuyasha shut his eyes slightly. “Look, I'm acting really out of character - that well
did something to me and… Listen, girl, I'm not Inukoshuu. My name's Inuyasha,”
Kagome opened her mouth in surprise. “That's impossible,” she contradicted. “What are you, his twin or something? You look just like him…”
“Kagome… I don't know how to tell you this, but you've been asleep for-”
The Shikon Jewel!”
Inuyasha turned, suddenly backing up and pressing himself against Kagome - hiding her. He had to protect her, he didn't know why but he had to.
“Stay close to me!” he cried.
Kagome made a sound that was almost a laugh. “I'm not going anywhere,” she grimaced.
Mistress Centipede darted into the clearing, unfolding like a tornado.
Kagome stared at the newcomer with narrowed eyes. It's lucky that my fist is clenched, Kagome thought, feeling the solid orb in her right wrist. Otherwise that demon would be giving me trouble.
Found you, hanyou!” Mistress Centipede roared, before winding herself around a few of the trees in the clearing.
Inuyasha scowled, lowering himself in an attacking position. He knew that the way he was stood provided the demon with no clues as to which way he would leap.
So long as she stayed away from Kagome…
“Hey, Mistress
Worm!” Inuyasha teased. “Come on,”
Give me the Jewel!” the centipede demon screamed, shooting forward.
Inuyasha sprang to the left whilst the demon had anticipated him to jump to the right. Instead Mistress Centipede found herself diving towards the tree.
Kagome screwed up her face in detest as the demon's upper body crashed a few feet away from her own. “Damn it! Can't you be more careful!”
She looked around for the white-haired boy that resembled Inukoshuu. There he was, coming back to her - attempting to defend her.
He looks so much like him, it's scary… He even sounds like him, except he's less proud and is more laid-back… and he's protectingme. Just like Inu… Kagome ended the thought there. She frowned. No. Inukoshuu killed me. He never loved me - he lied to me. All he wanted was for me to be dead…
Kagome bowed her head scowling. “Will someone get me off of this tree?” she cried, furiously. Inuyasha's head snapped in her direction. He looked confused and then afraid. “I don't think anyone knows how…”
“I-Inuyasha, you're name is, right? Can you at least try? Maybe it's not a coincidence you look like Inukoshuu, maybe you're related! Do all dog-demon's have priest powers?”
Inuyasha laughed at that. “Not as far as I know.” But… the thing my hand did in the well… Was that a priest power? He looked up at Kagome. “How do you know I'm a dog-demon?” he asked.
Kagome grimaced. “Your ears!”
Inuyasha looked up, even though he knew he wouldn't be able to see them. His ears... the things he'd had to cover up every day of his life in public. Bandanas, hats, hooded coats… anything to hide his puppy-dog ears.
His bandana had fallen off in the well. Now his ears twitched on top of his head. Inuyasha smiled wryly. “Hang in there, Kagome!” he called. “I'm coming!”
Hanyou!” the centipede demon shrieked. Mistress Centipede was now pulling out from the tree and straightening up, furious. “This ends now!” she cried, before darting forward just as Inuyasha was running towards the girl bound to the tree.
Mistress Centipede's previous sharp canines grew to the size of walrus tusks, except they ended in a deadly point. And she bit Inuyasha.
“No!” Kagome cried, shocked.
Inuyasha slowly looked down and watched as Mistress Centipede rattled him to and fro, then tossed him in the air.
Inuyasha wondered whether she'd actually eaten a part of him, but she hadn't - he was all in one piece. Inuyasha was comforted. He was falling and something was gushing out of the wound on his body. Something pink… it was falling with him - resembling a rose-coloured snowflake.
He reached out for it as he fell and when he hit the floor he held it cupped in his right hand. It was warm to the touch and was the size of a large marble. The Shikon Jewel…?
I knew! I knew you had it!” Mistress Centipede cried triumphantly, dashing forward. Inuyasha looked up, but only in time to see her tongue slithering out and wrapping around his wrist.
“No!” Inuyasha cried, shaking his head. “You… You can't have it…!”
This jewel… it must stay in the past… If it isn't heard of in the future, then it must stay in the past - and having a big demon like her absorbing it wouldn't be a good thing…
Mistress Centipede chuckled. Somehow, her tongue seemed to open up Inuyasha's fingers and steal the jewel from underneath his fingertips.
“NO!” Inuyasha yelled.
Mistress Centipede laughed.
Finally. The Jewel of Four Souls is mine…!” she cried in delight.
From Kagome there had been silence. Until now. The human girl was grinning triumphantly. “No, it isn't!” she retorted.
Inuyasha glanced at her briefly, then did a retake. Kagome was laughing now, and her teeth were shining. But they weren't regular teeth. She had fangs. Her dark hair seemed to have grown and perched on top of her head were two twitching puppy-dog ears.
And… Inuyasha realised, she's not attached to the tree… she's free! “The fool that Inukoshuu was - he made sure that his spell trapped a human girl against the Go Shinboku. But he didn't count that I had a fake Shikon Jewel forged - and that was the one that rolled away before I died…”
“Kagome…” Inuyasha whispered. “What have you done…?”
Kagome kept on smiling. “I had the jewel. It was in my hand while I slept - didn't you figure that out? Didn't anyone notice? Humph, maybe that's why Inukoshuu never took me down…”
Human!” Mistress Centipede screeched.
Kagome laughed. “Not anymore!” she retorted, then jumped forward - outstretching her newly grown claws. “Say goodbye, hag!” she cried, before lunging forward and shredding the centipede demon in two.