InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reflections In Your Tears ❯ Scroll Six - Turning Point ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Scroll Six
The Turning Point
Fifty years ago…
Shippo was curled up in Kagome's lap, asleep. He had a content smile on his face, his fiery red hair fitting in snugly with Kagome's red robes.
“Is he asleep?” Inukoshuu leaned over, almost resting his head on Kagome's shoulder as he looked down at the little Kitsune. The fire in the hearth cast a warm glow over his face, brightening his amber eyes.
Kagome nodded, a big smile on his face as she turned to him. “He's had a long day, and I guess we have too.” She glanced at the hanyou, and grinned. “Time for your bed time, mister.”
Inukoshuu frowned. “Don't go all motherly on me.” He folded his arms. “After all, I'm older than you - I should be the one sending you to bed.”
Kagome grimaced. “Make me,”
Inukoshuu kept his eyes on Kagome's face as he flicked his wrist. Kagome mentally cursed - she'd almost forgotten he had the power of telekinesis. It seemed too much like a cliché.
Shippo was no longer on her lap. The five-year-old was hovering in the air, slowly being placed down on the bare floor beside the fire. Inukoshuu grinned wickedly. “Bed time,” he sung. Kagome frowned. “Now that was cheating,”
Inukoshuu just shrugged, leaning in closer and closer. Kagome didn't push him back. She liked having him this close to her - it was as if they were the only two people in the world.
She brought up her hand and brushed the side of his face, tenderly. “Inukoshuu…”
The half-demon flinched under her touch. His eyes suddenly widened and he was afraid, backing away from her - trapped. “Kagome, don't-”
But it was too late. Nothing he could have said would have stopped her. She had stood by too long, kept loyally by his side without any promises. She had to have him. Now.
She pressed her mouth against his before he could object any further. Inukoshuu's eyes widened even further, but he didn't stop her. He slowly shut his eyes and returned her kiss, looping an arm around her waist - supporting her.
They both felt elated. This was what they had been waiting for so long. And now that they were together… Their kiss deepened, neither could contain their happiness. Kagome's hands were moving up and down Inukoshuu's chest. “Inu-”
“Shh,” he whispered against her mouth, before going to kiss her again.
Shippo didn't wake from his spot by the fire. He rolled over in his sleep, re-alerting the two to his presence. Inukoshuu froze. He blinked a couple of times, and then pulled back from Kagome - averting his eyes. Their moment ended.
Instead Kagome was left searching his face, while the hanyou gazed into the fire, unsure of what to say or do.
Kagome broke the silence. She put her hand on his. “I love you, Inukoshuu.” She whispered in his ear. Inukoshuu felt a pleasant shiver run down his spine. His heart throbbed painfully. “Don't say it. Please, Kagome, don't… we- we can't be together, they won't allow it.”
Kagome ran a hand through his hair, smiling sadly. “Yes we can. We just have to leave - take Shippo with us and leave,”
“But the village…” Inukoshuu trailed off. He caught Kagome's eyes and realised that, so long as they were together, he didn't
care about the village. All he cared about was her.
He sighed. “You would stay with me?” he asked almost hesitantly.
Kagome nodded, smiling. “I have for so long already,” she reminded him.
Inukoshuu grimaced, and squeezed her hand. Kagome squeezed back. The two looked over at Shippo. “A happy family?” Inukoshuu murmured.
Kagome leant her head on his shoulder and nodded. “Happy family,” she agreed.

Fifty years later…
Kagome straightened up. She stared down at the centipede demon with little remorse or regret. She flexed her now sharpened claws and stared at them with keen interest.
Inuyasha was staring at her from the other side of the clearing, confused. And was he…? Was he
disgusted?
Kagome snarled. “I don't care what you think,” she sniffed, turning away from him. “That hag had it coming.” She ignored the remains of the centipede demon on the floor and began walking - heading towards the village.
Inuyasha stood up abruptly and grabbed her arm. “Kagome… about Inukoshuu,”
The girl turned on him, angrily. “Don't mention that name around me, got it?” she spat.
“But-”
“I hate him! I hate him, do you hear me? He's in the past - and that's where he'll stay!” she cried, furious. Inuyasha clenched his fists, suddenly angry himself. She wasn't even listening to him! “But Kagome, that's just the point! He's dead!” he snapped.
Kagome froze, falling back a step. Her pupils turned to dots that were nearly invisible. She wasn't aware of the tears swelling up in her eyes. The tears of confusion, shock. “No…” she replied. “No,”
Inuyasha calmed. “How long did you think you were asleep for? It's been fifty years, Kagome. Inukoshuu died after he trapped you to that dumb tree!”
Kagome shook her head, not wanting to believe his words. “No…” was all she said.
Inuyasha felt a knot of jealousy tighten somewhere inside of him. Kagome still loved this Inukoshuu, no matter how much she tried to hide it - why else would she be so willing to not believe him? Inuyasha bowed his head. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and began walking back to the village ahead of her.
“Sorry to be the bringer of bad news…”
Kagome wasn't following. Tears cascaded down her face and she looked down at what she had become - a hanyou. She gritted her teeth, clenching her fists. She looked so… lost.
Inuyasha turned to look at her and stiffened at the sight of her tears. “K-Kagome…?”
“Why?” Kagome bowed her forehead and then dropped down to her knees. “Why did he have to trap me anyway? All I wanted… all I ever wanted was for us to be together. I wanted him to stay the way he was - forever. To me, he was perfect just the way he was…”
Inuyasha bent down next to her, his amber eyes searching her face. Her tough girl façade had faded and now she was nothing more than a girl who missed her lover more than she could bare. She was vulnerable, afraid… and unstable beyond comparison. Inuyasha didn't know what to say or what to do. He gulped.
“Come on. Let's get back to the village,”
Kagome shook her head, laughing pitifully. “No. Shippo will be there and I can't face him yet. I- I want to get away from here…”
Inuyasha bent down, looking into her eyes. He saw that she really needed this - she really needed to get away.
He sighed and helped her up. “Listen. I don't live here - in this time, I mean. But, so long as I'm here - I'll help you, okay? I've got nothing to go back to. Just an older brother who hates me, terrible grades at school and a family that can hardly hold together. What's more, I got the police after me…”
“Police?” Kagome repeated, confused. Inuyasha reminded himself that he was in the Sengoku Jidai and smiled. “They're, uh, a group of authorities assigned to a certain area. They make sure you don't do anything wrong.”
Kagome narrowed her eyes at him, her tears slowly fading away. “And you did something wrong?” she prompted.
Inuyasha shook his head. “They
think I did. Anyway, where do you want to go?” he asked, straightening.
Kagome shrugged and turned away from him. “Anywhere but here. Listen, you don't have to follow me. In fact - I don't want you to follow me; I'll be fine on my own.”
Inuyasha snorted. “You're a new half-demon; you have to follow my lead if you want to survive.”
“Oh? And I thought you said something ridiculous like `this wasn't your time', so how can you expect to survive in a world you haven't a clue about?” Kagome grinned maliciously. She has a point, Inuyasha realised, defeated.
He glared at her. “All right, fine. You're right. Looks like we need each other, whether we like it or not.”
“Most definitely
not,” Kagome put in, making it worse.
Inuyasha growled. “And who decided you would be a half-
dog-demon anyway? What kind of sick joke is that?”
Kagome started. The person who had decided was her. She couldn't think of anything else she would have liked to be, she just knew she had to use the jewel before anyone could use it ever again. And to spite Inukoshuu. She hadn't known he was dead at the time… Now that she thought about it, she did feel really alone. Inukoshuu had promised her that as long as he was in the world, she would never be alone. She'd never felt so alone until that moment when she'd heard he was dead.
He'd left her. After all of his promises, the bastard had left her. Kagome frowned.
“Come on, mutt.” She nodded in Inuyasha's direction. Now that she stared at him closely, he didn't look so much like Inukoshuu as she originally thought. It still hurt, though, whenever she looked at him.
Inuyasha growled. “Who are you calling `mutt', wench?”
Kagome walked ahead of him, her face shielded by a curtain of hair. It was just as well, because underneath it she was smiling.