InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reincarnation Isn't Always a Good Thing! ❯ 22 ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Isn't there any way I can help?" Mahkoto asked. Nakago shook his head.
"There's still enough poison mist down there to kill you. Kagosha would be mad. Santu would too. Kotan might not even be happy." he told her.
'I hope they win.' Mahkoto thought. She looked at her foot, the one that she had hit Malum with. 'I always was bad at fighting....'

Santu dodged a Metal attack, trying to hit with his Doku Honou (Poison Flame) attack. He had actually managed to hit a few times, but it seemed that both sides of the fight were evenly matched. One hit now could shift the balance between victory and defeat.
'This is difficult.... but we can do this. I know we can!' Santu knew that they were less hurt than they would have been without their shields.
'I have to remember to thank Mahkoto.'

Kotan and Kagosha were having some problems. Malum had managed to break Kotan's arm, but it would heal within the hour, if set properly.
'I'll take the right- you go left.' Kotan thought at Kagosha. She just nodded, and they went in teh appointed directions, attacking simotaniously.
"Ookami Kikku!" Kotan said, kicking Malum's side.
"Inu Batsu!" Kagosha said, a dog made out of Earth and Water appearing on her command and ramming Malum, then disappearing. Malum groaned and dropped, clutching his sides. At least one rib had broken, and most likely more than that. He glared.
'The shields was what saved them. I'd bet anything that that girl made them for those brats.' he thought, then looked up. The girl was riding on the back of the bird.
'This might kill them. At the very least it will give me time to run.' He quickly shot off several spikes made of Water- despite their appearance, they were sharp. Malum quickly ran as soon as the attention was off him, disappearing into the light of the afternoon.
He had forgotten about Nakago's shield, though. Earth easily fended off the spikes. Nakago landed gracefully on the ground, the poison fully gone because of the last attack. Mahkoto climbed off, thanking him for saving her life. She glanced around, her eyes landing on Kotan's arm- the worst injury anyone had gotten.
"We're going to have to go into town to set that." she said, turning around and looking at the ground. "I'll draw a map, and you can go there. It's not very far, so you shouldn't get lost. I'll see you to the edge of the woods."
"Aren't you coming with us?" Kagosha asked. "A trip into town sounds like fun."
"It's fine. I'll stay here." Mahkoto said, looking at the ground. "Town isn't that great."
"Why not?" Kotan said, irritable. "Any particular reason?" Mahkoto looked at them.
"Not really, I just don't feel like going." Santu smiled at her.
"It'll be fun. Why don't we all go get Kotan's arm set, then visit one of the stores or something?" He was smiling so kindly, and Mahkoto felt her face get a bit hot. She shook off the blush.
'He's just being friendly.' she told herself firmly, forcing her blush down.
"O....okay." she said turning around and walking quickly towards town. The other four exchanged a quick glance and then hurried after her.

'Why did I blush? I'm such an idiot...... stop it..... stop it stop it stop it..... He just smiles at me and this happens! I thought that I was stronger than that! Didn't I promise myself that I wouldn't allow anyone to get close to me again?!' Mahkoto was wrapped up in her thoughts, berating herself for allowing such a stupid, stupid show of emotion.
'Stupid stupid stupid....' she repeated in her mind. She barely even noticed when they reached the town gates.
"We're here." Nakago said in a low voice next to her ear. She jumped.
"Sorry. You startled me." she said, then looked over the gate.. "The doctor shouldn't be too far from here." Within seconds she had spotted it.
"There." she said, pointing. She stepped away from the town gates. "I'll wait here. They probably know me there, so it would be best if you pretend not to know me. If you find someone in town to take you in for a while, that would be great- I'll understand. Kotan should probably stay with teh cast for a while before moving on- too fast and it would seem funny." Mahkoto said.
"Wha-!" Kotan started, but then Santu interrupted her.
"She's right. We can pose as orphans, going to visit our uncle in the west. We can figure out how far that is and what path to take." Kagosha and Nakago were nodding, so Kotan gave in.
"Fine." she said. She looked directly at Mahkoto then. "We'll come back for you after we find a way to continue going." Mahkoto's face showed surprise, shock, and happiness.
"I can stay with you? Really?" Kotan nodded, bored, Kagosha happily, Santu happy, and Nakago disinterested, but not in a bad way.
"Arigatou." she said, smiling. "I'll see you in a few days. Sayonara."
"Sayonara." the others chorused. They parted ways, the four children heading into town, one child heading back to her cave.

Kotan and the others were quickly admitted into the town and the doctor's office. Within the hour Kotan's arm had a splint, and they were walking around, wondering what to do.
'We should find someone to take us in. If we leave right after I get my arm splinted, it would look odd.' Kotan thought. Santu nodded.
'We can always just strike up a conversation with someone about a map....' he suggested.
'Great idea. How about we talk to a map merchant?' Nakago suggested.
'I'll do the talking. I can see one right over there.' Kagosha said, striding over to where the merchant was.
"Excuse me, ma'am?" she asked, in her best persuasive and cute voice. The lady turned around.
"Can I help you little girl?" she asked, the lady's heart melting at the sight of the pretty little child.
'Teenager, but they may have no sympathy for a teen......'
"Can I see a map? I won't damage it I promise!" The lady stood up, hesitant.
"Please? I need to find out how to get to my uncle. Mom and Dad told me to find him, and all I know is the name of the town, not the direction or anything.' Kagosha said.
"Why can't your parents take you?" Recognition sparked in her eyes. "Are you one of those orphans that arrived here not an hour ago?" Kagosha was surprised that their story had been so easily bought, much less that it had spread this fast/.
"H-hai." she said, her shock being mistaken for sadness.
"You poor things! Of course I can lend you a map! In fact, just take one." she handed over a small map- one of the least expensive but was excellent for a trip through this area of Japan.
"A-arigatou! Domo arigatou!" she said, staring at the map. This was a great map- they had such good luck.
'But.......... no place to stay.' she reminded herself.
Just then, her stomach growled. Her face turned pink.
"Gomen nasai!" she said, embarrassed. Instead of being offended or annoyed by the noise, the woman looked concerned.
"Oh, you must be hungry. Who are you staying with here?" Kagosha saw her opening and took it.
"We would have stayed with our parents, but......" Kagosha thought about how her parents must be.
"Oh, so no one has offered to take you in yet? Please, stay with us!" Kagosha looked at the lady.
'This is too easy...' Kotan thought at Kagosha.
"Really?" Kagosha asked. The lady nodded.
"I have kids of my own. If I died, I'd want someone to do the same." Kagosha nodded.
'I think she's okay. She has kids of her own.'
'I don't think she is decieving us.' Nakago said.
'Then let's go!' Kotan said.
"I think we'll take you up on your offer." Kagosha said, smiling. "Can I get the others?" The woman nodded, smiling.
"Everyone! Time to go!" she called, waving her hand. the other three walked towards them. As though they had no clue what had happened.
"Do we have a map?" Santu asked, doing a good job of playing clueless.
"Yes. This kind lady has offered to take us in."
"Can we go?" Kotan asked, looking like she needed to be pitied. Her words were masked by her unhappy face. "I'm so hungry and I need to sleep. We all do."
"Of course! Let's go." The woman headed off towards a small house, grabbing her maps. "We live so close by. Wait until you meet my daughter!"