InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reversed Roles ❯ Life at the Shrine ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reversed Roles

Chapter One - Life at the Shrine

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I claim to. He belongs to the original creators, and I'm not getting paid anything from writing this fanfic.

Author's Notes - So I was thinking today while sitting in class - what if everything was different? And I ended up getting the idea for this fanfiction. I have yet to see one like it, but if you know one, hey, let me know, because I'd love to read it! Anyway, the characters are switched (Note: I'm not switching all the characters)…but I'm trying to keep their personalities the same. It'll be kind of hard for Kagome, since she's going to be the hanyou…but we'll see what happens, eh? Anyway, R&R, and most of all, enjoy! My first Inuyasha fanfic…*rubs hands together* Exciting, huh? Lol. I have an idea for another one too, but we'll see how this one goes first.

Other Notes - Will be Kagome/Inuyasha, or course…but there will also be Kagome/Sesshomaru too, just like there's Kikyo/Inuyasha in the anime/manga ;) Rated PG-13 for swearing and violence.

Summary - Roles are switched, and Inuyasha releases the hanyou Kagome, who's been sealed to a tree for 50 years. When the Shikon no Tama is broken, they're forced to work together to find the shards before evil does.

----------

She was running, branches from the trees she passed whipping in her face as she trampled through the dense forest, one thought running through her mind: He's coming!

She was breathing heavily, ears tuned into her surroundings as she ran, not even bothering to slow down or look over her shoulder to see if she was being followed. All senses told her that she was.

Taking a sharp left, she tore through the trees in a different direction, hoping to throw him off of her trail. She took a deep breath, deciphering each scent until she smelt him. Damnit, she growled, he's still following me!

"I won't give it up!" She growled to herself, dodging a fallen log without stopping for a second. I have what I've always wanted, she clenched her fist harder around the object in her hand, If only he hadn't gotten in my way in the first place! Her eyes glowed with her rage and something else: hurt and betrayal.

Stupid, stupid me for ever believing and trusting him! She dodged another log, landing hard on her feet on the other side and wasting no time in continuing her running. Using the Shikon no Tama to turn human.. She screwed up her nose at that thought, Ha! Like I'd ever do such a thing!

Bursting through the foliage, she hesitated as she found herself in a clearing. A large tree stood in the middle of it, the sunlight filtering down through its leaves. She was running once more, but not before someone shouted her name, causing her to turn.

"Kagome!" She turned her head slightly, a man with flowing white hair standing not too far away from her. Her eyes widened as she saw him grab the sword by his side and swing at her. Not having the chance to dodge, the sword went right through her chest, pinning her to the tree behind her. With wide eyes, she watched as the glowing sword cut through her, and the blood began to drip to the ground below her.

"Die." The man said quietly, and Kagome looked up at him in time to see him fall to his knees, and for the first time, noticed the smell of his blood. He was hurt, slashed across the chest and arm, and blood was covering his white shirt. She paid no attention to this as pain went through her, and the sword glowed even brighter.

"Sesshomaru.." She managed through the pain, the object in her hand falling to the ground as she reached for the sword, only to find she couldn't move it. "…you bastard!"

From the ground, Sesshomaru watched with cold eyes as the woman he had thought he had loved, the one he had been prepared to spend the rest of his life with, slowly died sealed to a tree by his own sword.

-----

"…a beautiful day out today, sunny with a high of.." The voice suddenly stopped as a boy angrily reached out for the remote control and turned off the television. With a angry growl he slumped back down on the couch, scowling at the now blank screen.

"Why don't you go outside for a while, Inuyasha?" Came his mother's voice from the kitchen. She was busily cleaning the house, and was slightly annoyed that her son was inside on such a beautiful day. "You've been sitting on that couch since you got up this morning!"

"There's nothing to do." He answered, glaring over the back of the couch. He watched as his mother wiped the sweat off her forehead and turned to him, giving him a look.

"Why don't you take your sister to the park?" She suggested, "I'm sure Rin would like that."

Inuyasha slumped down in the couch further, crossing his arms. "Keh. I have much better things to do."

"But you were just saying there was nothing.."

He suddenly got up, brushing his black hair over his shoulder. "I'll find something."

"Where is Rin anyway?" His mother frowned, suddenly realizing Rin was nowhere to be found, "I haven't seen her since breakfast."

"Probably out listening to Myoga tell stupid stories again." Inuyasha shook his head.

"Inuyasha!" His mother scolded lightly, "Why do you insist on calling your grandfather by his name, instead of 'grandad' like Rin does?"

Inuyash rolled his eyes, "Because I'm seventeen, and Rin doesn't understand how embarrassing he is. He's always telling all kinds of stories that aren't true, and the only reason he disappears with Rin like this is so he won't have to do chores." Inuyasha sighed, "Rin can sit there for hours listening to his stories, so it gets him out of doing things. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with all the work he doesn't do."

Inuyasha's mother looked thoughtful for a second. "That reminds me…I asked him to sweep the steps today." She peered out the window, a small frown appearing on her face. "Looks like he didn't do it. Inuyasha -" She turned around to face him, only to find that he was already standing in the doorway holding the broom. "Sweep the steps, please."

"See what I mean?" He growled, exiting the room to find his shoes. Stupid grandfather…always running off and leaving me to do the work! He found his shoes by the door and put them on before heading outside.

Just like the news had said, it was a beautiful and sunny day out. The air was fresh and warm, and a slight breeze rustled the branches on the trees. However Inuyasha never noticed any of this, his teeth clenched together tightly as he made his way down the steps to the Shrine.

Starting at the bottom, he swept his way up the steps until there was no more dust left, his anger growing with each step.

This was how it worked in his family, him always doing the hard work. His grandfather was the one who owned the Shrine, and once Inuyasha's father had died, his mother could no longer stand to be by herself. She had moved in with his grandfather, despite Inuyasha's protests. So they had packed up all their things, and ever since then, he, his mother, and his younger sister Rin had lived with his grandfather. And ever since that day, his grandfather had been running away and leaving him to do the dirty work.

Walking back to the house glad to be finally done, he almost groaned when he saw his mother poke her head out the window and call out "And don't forget to sweep that dirty well house!"

With a sigh, he turned direction and headed to the side of the house, where a shed-like building stood. He didn't quite understand why the building was there, because the only thing in it was a well. An old, dry well that was never used - so why did he even have to sweep it? It wasn't like anyone was going to go in there anyway.

Opening the door, he was proven wrong as he saw a familiar figure at the edge of the well, trying to look down into its dark depths.

"Rin." He said, and he saw her jump in surprise and almost fall in, "What did mom tell you about coming in here?"

She turned to look at him, still sitting close to the well with curious eyes. "Is this well really haunted?" She asked, and Inuyasha almost laughed.

The old fool has been feeding her ghost stories, I see, he mused, leaning the broom against the wall and going to sit by his little sister. "There's no such thing as ghosts, Rin."

"Vampires?" She asked, and he shook his head. "Werewolves?"

"It's all myths and legends, Rin. None of those things are real."

"What about demons?" She asked.

"Didn't I just say -"

"Not real, I know." She finished, and it was her turn to roll her eyes. Inuyasha couldn't help it, he reached out and ruffled her dark hair, and she giggled and squirmed to get away from him. "Inuyasha! You're messing up my hair!"

"Hey," He smiled, "I'm your big brother…it's my job to annoy you and mess up your hair."

She finally managed to move away, and stuck out her tongue at him.

"So that's why you were here? Looking for fairytale creatures, huh?" He grinned, leaning over to look down the well himself.

"Inuyasha!" Rin gasped, immediately at his side and tugging on his clothing, "Don't get too close!"

"And why not?" He grinned, grabbing hold of her and tickling her. She laughed, pulling at his hair.

"Stop!" She managed to gasp out between laughs. "You can't go too close because Grandad told me that if you get close enough, a demon will come up and eat you!"

Inuyasha stopped tickling her, a frown appearing on his face. He's been feeding her more of those stupid stories again…and now she's afraid of that damn well!

"There's nothing down in the well," He told her softly, taking her small hand in his and leading her towards the well, "Just watch. I'll prove it to you." With that, he let go and began to crawl over the edge.

"Inuyasha!" Rin gasped, stepping forward with worried eyes, "What are you doing??"

He turned his head, giving her a arrogant smile. "Proving to you once and for all there are no monsters, and that Myoga's stories are fake." He answered, before he let go of the edge and fell into the well.

He landed with a 'thump', knees bent so that he managed to land on both feet without hurting himself too much. Up above him, Rin was screaming his name and looking down into the well trying to see him through the darkness.

"Inuyasha! Inuyasha? Are you okay?" She called down to him.

"I'm fine!" He answered, looking up at her with a smile, "And there's nothing down here but dust!"

She was quiet for a moment before she asked, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, now go get me a ladder…I don't think I can get out of here by myself!" He yelled back, suddenly realizing how stupid it was to jump down a well that he couldn't get out of. With a sigh, he sat down cross legged and waited for Rin to return with a ladder. Well, at least she has that crazy idea of monsters being down here out of her head!

The sound of something heavy being dragged around from above told him that Rin had gone to get a ladder and was now returning.

"Oi! Hurry up!" He crossed his arms, "It's cold down here!"

"Hold on!" Her voice came from up above somewhere, "This is heavy!"

Inuyasha sighed, closing his eyes as he waited. Unnoticed by him, the floor beneath him started to glow, and long fingers started to reach up out of the dirt. An eerie feeling settled upon him, and Inuyasha frowned, his eyes still closed.

"Rin?"

"I-Inuyasha?" Her voice answered, and she seemed frightened. His eyes snapped open, and he saw her above him staring down at him with a horrified look upon her face. He was about to ask what was wrong when she screamed "Behind you!"

He turned his head, finally noticing the glowing floor, and a now fully emerged demon-like creature who was reaching for him.

"What the fuck-?" Before he could say any more, the creature grabbed him and hauled him down through the floor.

From above, Rin watched in terror, and she didn't move until the floor of the well turned back to its original color and the glowing stopped.

"Grandad!" She screamed, running from the well house and almost tripping over the ladder she had tried to drag in, "Grandad! You were right! There really are demons in the well!"

To Be Continued…