InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reversed Roles ❯ Through the Well ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reversed Roles

Chapter Two - Through the Well

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I claim to. He belongs to the original creators, and I'm not getting paid anything from writing this fanfic.

Author's Notes - Before I say anything, I want to thank my reviewers - you guys are great! ^_^ And I actually did find a story quite like mine after, but don't worry…this will be totally different. I'm heading in a different direction, and after the Shikon no Tama is shattered, I hope to go on and do my own thing…it won't follow the anime/show story line as much. Anyway, R&R! :)

Other Notes - Will be Kagome/Inuyasha, or course…but there will also be Kagome/Sesshomaru too, just like there's Kikyo/Inuyasha in the anime/manga ;) Rated PG-13 for swearing and violence.

Summary - Roles are switched, and Inuyasha releases the hanyou Kagome, who's been sealed to a tree for 50 years. When the Shikon no Tama is broken, they're forced to work together to find the shards before evil does.

----------

He felt light, like he was being suspended in mid air or in water. There was no noise and he opened his eyes to find a mixture of blue, green and purple around him. Looking down, he realized that he wasn't touching ground, and that these colors went on as far as he could see in all directions.

Where am I? He wondered, squinting to get a better look at his surroundings. What is this place? He racked his mind, trying to remember what had happened. I was in the well… He brought his hands up to his temples, massaging them in hopes that it would clear his fuzzy memory. I was…attacked by some demon!

Remembering the demon, his head whipped around in search of the beast. He hadn't noticed before, but it was suspended the same way he was, not too far away from him. Eyes widening, Inuyasha pushed hard at the air, trying to get further away from it.

What the fuck is that? He stared at it for a moment once he was a comforting distance away, and tried to make sense of what was happening to him. There's no such thing as demons!

The demon, which seemed to sense his thoughts, suddenly lifted its head and opened its eyes. Its glowing eyes settled upon him, and he flinched as the demon's mouth opened to breathe, "The Shikon no Tama…"

Inuyasha blinked. "What?"

"Give me the Shikon no Tama.." It hissed.

"I don't know what you're talking about!" He struggled to get further away from the creature. Shikon no Tama? What the hell is that? Suddenly he was stopped as the demon's centipede-like body shot forward, winding around him and pulling him closer. So close that if he really wanted to, he could reach out and touch it.

"I can sense it." The thing hissed in his face, "Give it to me!"

Inuyasha struggled against its strong hold, its breath making him gag. "Let go!"

"You have it!"

Inuyasha growled, managing to get his arms, which had been pinned to his sides by the demon's body, free from where they were trapped. He freed them just as the demon lunged forward to attack. Raising a fist, he readied to fight the monster with whatever strength he had.

"I said let go!" He threw a punch, his hand connecting with the monster's face.

There was a sudden blast of bright pink light, and then everything went dark.

-----

He lay face down on his stomach, his black hair gray with dust, along with his clothes. Above him a cool breeze managed to find its way down the well, and he unconsciously clenched his closed eyes together even more tightly then they already were. With a groan, he clawed at the dirt, finally managing to roll over so he was on his back. With a deep sigh, he opened his eyes.

What happened? He wondered, staring up at the blue sky through the tunnel of well bricks. Was it all a dream..?

"Rin?" He called lightly. "Rin! Are you up there?" He called more loudly. When there was no answer, he tried to sit up.

Oh my head…He reached up with one hand, holding himself upright with the other, and touched his head. It felt like he'd just been hit by a truck, and he pained all over. When his head finally stopped spinning, he managed to crawl to his knees and stand, using the well wall to hold himself up.

"Rin!" He called again, "Where are you?" He called once more, "I must have passed out! I had the strangest dream…" He took a step away from the wall only to stumble and grab hold of some of the strange plant life that was growing down into the well.

"What's this?" He mumbled, pulling a leaf off the plant and inspecting it. "It wasn't here before…" Looking up once again at the blue sky, he finally realized something was wrong. I shouldn't be able to see the sky…where's the roof to the well house?

Confused, Inuyasha decided that the best way to deal with all of these questions was to get out of the well and see what happened after that. Perhaps he had passed out, and a storm had ripped through and taken the roof off the house?

Gritting his teeth as he took hold of a plant to haul himself up out of the well, he decided that was a stupid answer. If a storm had ripped the roof off, surely he would have heard it and woken up?

Reaching a hand out and gripping the top edge of the well firmly, he managed to pull himself up so he could get a better look at his surroundings. Half in, half out of the well and held up by his arms, he looked around.

He was in a clearing filled with healthy green grass, which was currently rustling with the breeze. Not too far off he noticed large trees, and he realized they surrounded the whole clearing. His house was nowhere to be seen.

"Where am I?" He growled, pulling the rest of his body out of the well, and slumping on the green grass. "What the fuck is going on?" He'd asked that question so many times now, he knew no one was going to answer. He'd have to find out the answer for himself.

Picking himself up and dusting himself off, he headed in a random direction in hopes to find his answers.

-----

"I'm going around in circles!" He growled to himself, leaning against a side of a tree tiredly. He'd been wandering around the forest for what seemed like hours now, and so far he was just as lost as he had been to begin with, and with just as many questions.

Slumping down against the tree, he leaned his head back to look at the sky. "Maybe I'm still dreaming…or I'm not dreaming at all, and that demon killed me. And what was that light?" He frowned. No, that was stupid. There was no such thing as demons, and he hadn't fell through a wall to this…this place! He was still at home, unconscious on the well floor - he was sure of it! None of this was real!

Looking back down from the sky, he listened to the sounds of the forest. Through the rustling of the leaves above, he could hear little animal life. No sound of birds, nothing. Which was strange, and he tried not to dwell on it. It was his dream, after all. None of this was real. But the forest was eerie, and he suddenly wanted to get out of there fast.

Standing, he tried to decide which way he was going to travel next, when something caught his eye. Through the tops of the trees, not too far away, was a familiar sight. Eyes wide, he stumbled forth, trying to decide if it was real or just his imagination playing tricks on him. But as he finally made it to the small clearing, he realized it wasn't his imagination, it was real.

It was the tree that stood near the shrine, although it looked slightly different. He was so used to seeing it, he could tell it from anywhere…and this was the tree! Half expecting to see the shrine, he looked around but found nothing. His shoulders slumped, all hope lost. Well, at least he had found something familiar in this strange place.

With a sigh, Inuyasha looked back to the tree. It really was different - younger looking, and wrapped in vines of some sort. Walking a bit closer, he realized something else, and almost blinked in surprise. He narrowed his eyes, telling himself that he was seeing things, but it turned out his eyes wasn't playing tricks on him. Just off the ground, tangled in vines and plant growth, was a girl.

Walking closer to the tree, he peered up to get a better look at her. She was dressed in funny clothes - a long sleeved white shirt, and red pants that looked way too big for her (*cough* Picture Kikyo, minus the hairstyle), and she had smooth pale skin. Her eyes were closed as if she were dead or asleep, but her face was pretty, and her beautiful long black hair was blowing slightly in the breeze. Inuyasha was looking at her hair when something caught his eye, looked on confused. At the top of her head were two black triangle shapes, and Inuyasha stared for a moment before he realized they were ears.

That's impossible…people don't have ears like that! Crawling up over a root of the tree, he stood face to face with her now, and he hesitantly reached out to touch the objects on her head. They were soft and warm, and Inuyasha decided they were real, and that the girl really did have cat ears of some sort.

But how's this possible…she looks human enough. He let go of the ears, studying the girl's face. He reached a hand out, cupping her cheek. Her face was warm as well, and much alive - although it seemed like she wasn't breathing. Is she dead? He wondered, pulling his hand away fast, not wanting to be touching a dead person. But she sure looked alive…

He finally noticed the sword that pinned her there, and he backed away fast, almost falling off the tree root. Looking at the sword, and then at her face, he decided she really was dead, even though she still looked like she was asleep. No one could survive such a wound - she was definitely dead.

What a shame, he frowned, looking at her face once more, she's so pretty, despite having cat ears. He had another urge to reach out and touch the ears, and mentally scolded himself. You shouldn't be touching her! She's dead! He blushed lightly. I shouldn't be touching her at all! If she was alive, he glanced down at her hands, which supported long cat-like claws, she'd tear me to shreds!

But still…she's dead…she won't mind, he told himself, reaching forward once again, looking fascinated with the ears. He lightly touched the right one, feeling the soft fur beneath his fingers. His eyes widened as he felt it twitch under his touch, and he was about to pull away when there was a voice from behind him.

"You there!"

He let go, spinning around on the tree root and losing his footing, he fell to the ground below. Groaning and spitting grass out of his mouth, he glared up at the man that had made him fall. "Didn't anyone ever tell you not to scare the shit out of people?" He spit another blade of grass out of his mouth, "It's not nice."

He suddenly realized that there were more than one of them, and they were all carrying crossbows, their arrows aimed on him. Raising himself to his knees, he put his hands in the air, wondering what was happening. "Er- don't shoot?"

The lead man shifted his crossbow, but didn't lower it. "What are you doing in Kagome's Forest?" He asked.

"I was…I…I don't know." He told them truthfully.

"You don't know?" The man spat back sarcastically, aiming his crossbow.

"Hey," Another man stepped forward, and Inuyasha's gaze flickered to him, "Don't he look kind of like Sesshomaru?"

The lead man's bow lowered again as he studied Inuyasha, his eyes widening slightly. "By God, he does!" Taking a step forward, he got a closer look, "Hair's a bit different, but his face…" He dropped his bow. "Exactly like him. Tell me young man, what is your name?"

Inuyasha hesitated, wondering if he should tell these strange people his name. He finally decided it wouldn't hurt. "Inuyasha."

"Inuyasha." The man seemed to think it over, "You look the splitting image of our village's deceased priest, Sesshomaru."

Is that good or bad? Inuyasha wondered. "So does this mean you're not going to kill me now?"

The man seemed to ignore him, turning to the other villagers. "We should take him to the village elder. He'll be able to make sense of this."

Inuyasha was about to open his mouth to tell them he wasn't going anywhere with them, especially not to see some village elder, when the lead man took him by the collar of his shirt and lifted him up.

"Come." He said simply, and Inuyasha growled at his back as the villagers started to leave. Looking back at the girl pinned to the tree, he suddenly didn't want to be alone in the forest anymore.

"Keh." He kicked the ground beneath his feet, before following after them. Perhaps the elder would be able to help him.

To Be Continued…