InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Reversed Roles ❯ Being Watched ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reversed Roles

Chapter Seven - Being Watched

By Crow Skywalker

----------

Disclaimer - I don't own Inuyasha, nor do I claim to. He belongs to the original creators, and I'm not getting paid anything from writing this fanfic.

Author's Notes - Wow, haven't updated this in a while! And I'm sorry to say this is a short chapter, too! ^^; Not really short…just a bit shorter than previous chapters. Sorry about that, and the delay. Had exams the last two weeks, and I've been incredibly sick (still am, too - had to go back to the doctor this morning x_x) so I haven't gotten much writing done. Anyway, before I leave you until the next chapter…I'd like to dedicate this chapter to someone :) That someone is Alexiel, whom I talk to on MSN…who told me to update, and so I did :P R&R, and enjoy the chapter!

Other Notes - Will be Kagome/Inuyasha, or course…but there will also be Kagome/Sesshomaru too, just like there's Kikyo/Inuyasha in the anime/manga ;) Rated PG-13 for swearing and violence.

Summary - Roles are switched, and Inuyasha releases the hanyou Kagome, who's been sealed to a tree for 50 years. When the Shikon no Tama is broken, they're forced to work together to find the shards before evil does. ----------

The fire was lit and glowing warmly, the smoke rising into the air and out through the hole in the roof of the hut. Shadows danced on the walls, cast from the flickering light of the fire. However, three shadows stood firmly against the seemingly moving shadows.

"Hold still." The village elder argued, holding out some white bandages as he struggled with the raven haired boy sitting in front of him. The boy was putting up quite the fight trying to get away from the old man. Catching hold of an arm as the boy tried to stand, the elder gave a hard yank, sending him back to the floor as he tried to pin the boy down. "Hold still - this won't hurt a bit!"

"Ow! Gramps! Get the fuck -" Inuyasha yelled, but he was soon cut off as the old man managed to grab hold of his shirt, tearing it down the front as he tried to bandage the wounds underneath. He winced as the elder pressed a deep cut to stop the bleeding. "That fucking hurts you bastard!"

"If you stopped moving, then it wouldn't hurt," Was the old man's reply.

From across the room, there was a snort as Kagome turned her head to look at them over her shoulder. "Somehow I doubt it. He seems to be quite the wussy."

Inuyasha growled, moving his head so that he could see past the elder and glare at the female hanyou. "Shut up! You're the one who did this!"

Kagome rolled her eyes, not bothering to respond.

The elder finished what he was doing, tying the bandages around Inuyasha's chest so that they held firmly. "There, I'm done. You'll have to get those changed every few hours, though."

Inuyasha huffed, grabbing his shirt and pulling it together as best as he could. So now he was lost in some strange place - or time - and he had no decent clothes! Things were going just great! Angrily getting to his feet, he shot the girl a nasty look, "And what are you doing here, anyway? Haven't you done enough damage?"

One soft black ear on top of her ear twitched, but Kagome gave no sign of answering the rude boy. In fact, she seemed to be ignoring him, her eyes closed and her face turned up slightly. She looked like she was resting.

Inuyasha fumed. He hated to be ignored! "Hey - cat girl! I'm talking to you!"

At this, Kagome's eyes opened, although only slightly as she narrowed them in his direction. "Don't call me that."

Inuyasha smirked. Oh yes, he'd found something that annoyed her! "Why not, kitty? Does it bother you?"

Kagome was on her feet now, fists clenched at her sides. "My name is Kagome! Ka-Go-Me! Learn it!"

Inuyasha turned away, arms crossed. "Why should I?"

"Could you two please stop bickering for one moment?" The elder, who'd been watching the whole exchange, sighed from where he sat.

Inuyasha glanced down at him, one brow raised in question. "Why?"

"Because there are things we need to discuss."

Inuyasha hesitated, shooting a glance at the hanyou before sitting down next to the elder. "Fine, lets get this over with then."

"Now, explain what happened again. Maybe we can make some sense out of this."

"But I already told-" Inuyasha started to protest, but the elder waved a hand and shook his head.

"Tell me again."

Inuyasha gave him an irritated look, before leaning backwards and reciting what had happened earlier that day from where he'd fell into the well, up to the point where he'd set the hanyou girl free. That's when the village elder stopped his story, nodding slightly as he took this all in. From across the room, Kagome rolled her eyes in disbelief.

"You can't actually believe his stupid story."

"Well, how do you explain me being here?" Inuyasha spat, sending yet another glare in her direction. They did not get along. At all.

"I don't know." Kagome snapped, "But it seems pretty far fetched to me!"

"Yeah, and a world full of demons isn't." Inuyasha answered sarcastically, "Here I am, talking to a…what are you again?"

"A hanyou." The girl said through gritted teeth.

"Oh yes, a hanyou." He continued, "Part human, part cat demon, I presume?"

"What of it?" She glared, crossing her arms in front of her.

"…and she doesn't believe me when I say I woke up in a well and found myself here?" He finished with a dark laugh, "Unbelievable."

"Inuyasha." Came the elder's stern voice, and the boy's attention immediately turned back to the older man. "So you came through the well, were attacked by the centipede demon, unleashed Kagome from where she was sealed for fifty years, and it was discovered that the jewel was inside you." He shook his head, "You are the reincarnation of Sesshomaru."

Inuyasha blinked, and Kagome scoffed, "Like the reincarnation of the great Sesshomaru would turn out to be an idiot like this!"

The elder gave her a warning look, before continuing. "When Sesshomaru died, he had the jewel burned with him. He promised to look after it in the next life, and it turned out that you had it inside you." He nodded at Inuyasha, "You were the only one able to break the seal on Kagome after all this time. To do that you must have some strong holy power. And now that the jewel is in your hands, you must protect it with all your life."

Inuyasha looked skeptical. "From more demons?"

"Not only demons. There are other dark and evil things out there which seek the power of the Shikon no Tama."

"However," Kagome spoke up, hopefully holding a hand out, "If you hand it over to me, you can go home and have no worries."

"I already told you I wasn't handing it over." Inuyasha yawned from where he sat. "Do try to listen better."

"Bastard." Kagome hissed between her teeth, now standing furiously.

"Keh." Inuyasha turned his head slightly, giving her a lazy look before he smirked evilly. "Stay."

Kagome cursed loudly as he legs gave out and she landed on her knees, arms held out in front of her. Turning his attention to the fire, Inuyasha yawned again, feeling the heat of her glare on his back. Oh yes, he was so starting to enjoy that word!

-----

It was early in the morning by the time they'd stopped talking, and the elder had convinced Inuyasha to stay the night before setting out in hopes to find a way home. Kagome had grudgingly disappeared shortly after the subduing spell had worn off, leaving the two men alone.

She sat on top of the hut, lying down and looking up at the starry sky, hands behind her head and her head propped op. Outside, she seemed to be lost in thought. Inside, she was boiling over with anger.

How dare he…treat me like a common house cat! Her eye twitched in irritation, and she rolled over onto her side and glared hard into the darkness. Stupid human boy! Does he not know what he's dealing with? I thought after that demonstration in the forest he'd at least have a clue about the power I hold! Her hand clenched at her side, but no…he still refuses to give me the jewel!

From inside she heard the murmuring of voices, and her ear twitched to pick up the sound.

"…whatever, old man." Came the boy's irritated voice, "I'm out of here in the morning!"

"I understand," Came the old man's voice, "But Inuyasha, please be careful. You shall be hunted.."

"By everything and everyone evil, yadda yadda.." Inuyasha replied with a bored sigh.

"Yes, so you must rest fully and regain your strength."

From where she lay, Kagome sat up with a snort. "Like he'd be able to defend himself anyway," She muttered to herself, "Even without the cuts and bruises he'd be an easy target for any demon."

A rustle in a nearby tree caught her attention, and she narrowed her eyes as she set her gaze in that direction, her calculating eyes searching the branches while her ears turned to try to catch any more odd noises. What was that? She suddenly had the feeling she was being watched.

Besides the voices below her, she could hear nothing else, nor see anything suspicious.

My senses aren't that bad after all these years…I know I heard something! She moved forward, crawling across the roof on hands and knees with a feline grace, careful not to make a sound as she approached the tree. As she neared, a branch suddenly moved. There! I wasn't hearing things!

"Come out, whatever you are." She growled, sitting back and preparing to attack if necessary.

There was a sudden flash of black, and a glow of red eyes as something flew past her, taking flight into the night. Kagome twisted her head to get a good look at it. There was no use attacking - it was way out of attacking range now, too fast for her.

It's a Crow Demon, she realized, staring up at the dark sky as it disappeared. Probably sensed the power of the Shikon no Tama! She looked back at where she had been sitting only moments before, listening to the conversation between the two men in the hut, and she suddenly looked uneasy. That Crow Demon was one of the first - there will be many more to come.

With a small growl of frustration, Kagome leapt down from where she sat, deciding to look around the area for more demons. Until she had the jewel in her hands, she would do her best to protect it from others.

She frowned. Even if that means I have to protect the obnoxious brat as well!

To be Continued…