InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Rin's Little Adventures ❯ Episode Four: Rin's Nightmare ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Episode Four: Rin's Nightmare

~*~

Sesshomaru's beautiful long white hair flew behind him as he trailed his scent all over his lands. As he went along, there was a very painful lurch in his gut and he came to a halt. Something wasn't right. He could feel it. It was the stab of pain he felt when Rin was in trouble or he was unsure of what to do with her. It was like his connection to her. A vibe, if you will.

Has she run off? He thought in wonder as he changed his course of patrol back to his castle, in the heart of the Western Lands.

**

Tears rolled down the young girl's face from luminous dark eyes. She sobbed into her pillow as she gripped the blanket. "Okaa-san… Yuki-kun… Tsuki-chan…" she murmured into the soft futon. "Sesshomaru-sama… Rin is scared…"

She rolled over, attempting to find any solace from her frightening dream. It had been truly startling and she could not close her eyes for fear of seeing the frightening images again.

The murder of her family had replayed in her head. One by one they were all slaughtered. She watched them all die. Yuki, her eldest brother, Tsuki, her elder sister and her Mother. Her dear mother. She watched her family leave her alone, go away, stop breathing. Beheaded, stabbed… It had been horrible…

She needed comfort. She needed her surrogate father. "Sesshomaru-sama…" she whispered again before a new batch of tears spilled onto her sheets that had been pulled up over her head in fright.

**

I am coming Rin. I can smell your fear and your tears. What could have happened to you, child? He thought as he swiftly paced down the halls to her room, the odor of salt and the twining and unnerving scent of fear heavy in the air. Why had his servants not responded to it? Why had they not checked on the poor human child while he was away?

His hand reached forward as he opened her door, sliding into the room, shutting it behind himself. He heard whimpers and sniffles as they were emitted deep within the mass of sheets and pillows on the futon. "I have returned, Rin," He said gently, his deep baritone voice soothing to her small ears.

Rin sat up instantly, sobbing and reached her arms out in the darkness, wanting to be held, desperately seeking comfort. The taiyoukai watched her as she did this, unsure of what to do for her. Seeing her state, he assumed that she wanted to be assured everything was going to be all right. He walked to the side of the futon and sat down, jolting backwards slightly when her small body flew into his embrace. His golden eyes softened slightly as he felt her shiver and moan into his robes.

"What is it? What startled you, Rin?" He asked, his fingers rubbing small but relaxing circles on her back.

"Rin had a bad dream…" She replied, snuggling into his hold more so. She watched him in the dark, his golden eyes looking down at her in slight worry. Sesshomaru-sama would know how to make her feel better. "Rin watched Okaa-san, Yuki-kun and Tsuki-chan die… It was bad! Rin can't sleep! Rin doesn't want to sleep! Rin wants family!" She bawled onto him.

She watched her entire family die? I am familiar with the ache she is feeling, he thought, his memory returning to when he was a pup. His mother had been shot by the miko of the human wench his father had taken for a mate shortly after. Stomach acid rose in his throat as he thought of that but he squashed it down. "Calm yourself, Rin. I will protect you," Sesshomaru stated emotionlessly. He felt her sigh, her small body relaxing against his larger form.

"Rin knew Sesshomaru-sama could fix her. Thank you…" She whispered into his robes, her lids shutting over her bloodshot eyes. She let out a deep breath she had been holding and slowly fell asleep against his warm, strong body. She felt completely safe.

When the taiyoukai knew for certain that she was asleep, he laid her gently on the futon, covering her with the blankets. His golden eyes watched her protectively for a few moments and he felt slightly satisfied now that his charge was feeling better. He felt pity for her. She was so young. Younger than he had been when he witnessed his mother's murder.

He shook his head of his thoughts and ran his fingers through her mussed hair, taming a few of the strands. She would sleep the rest of the night peacefully, he was sure of it. Now, the only thing left to do was to punish Jaken for not noticing his charge's terror earlier. He exited her room, leisurely pacing the hallway as he went in search for Jaken.

THE END!