InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Runaway ❯ Thoughts of Kikyou ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
A/N: I am posting all fics from Fanfiction.net to mediaminer.  These fanfics are listed from oldest to newest.  This fanfic was posted to fanfiction.net   3 /24 /04   and has 207 reviews on fanfiction.net.  Keep in mind, I have revised this fic, however, it’s an OLD work.       Here we go, I rewrote this, and I am hoping it sounds better now. It doesn't have as much going on. The things I have written before will eventually happen, but I have decided to take the story at a much slower pace. Be prepared for changes. Oh yes, and by the way, I changed the name. I don't really think 'Replaced' fit the story and it's purpose. I may change the title again.

This story went through 4 rough drafts, and I think I finally have it the way I want it. Well, I won't hold you up any longer, I hope you enjoy my little piece of work, though I am sure the idea has been done before.

Runaway

Chapter 1: Thoughts of Kikyo


"Why did you betray me, Inuyasha?" Kikyo's strong and demanding voice ran through Inuyasha's head as he sat in the old cherry blossom tree, high above everyone else.

Inuyasha had been sitting there, pondering. He was trying to sift through the many thoughts and events that had happened. He needed time to think, alone without the others there to bother him and constantly ask questions. He didn't need that type of interaction with them at this point in time.

"I didn't betray you Kikyo." Inuyasha said softly to himself. "Why can't you see that? It was all a trick....Damn you Naraku. All you do is tear people's lives apart."

Inuyasha could feel a brief wave of anger course through his body, causing him to tremble a little and clench his fist tightly shut. He looked at the ground momentarily and saw Miroku and Shippou sitting at the small fire they had made. They seemed to be talking, but their voices seemed miffed. It didn't matter to Inuyasha what they were saying.

Kagome had been gone, she was off collecting firewood for the fire, which was now a small flame and burning the last bit of the log it has fed on. She had been gone for quite a while. She had told everyone that she would go and collect some small branches nearby. She couldn't lift a bunch of heavy logs by herself.

He had remembered many things between Kikyo and himself, from both the past and the present trying to figure out what exactly went on.

The first thing he thought of was the very day he had been pinned to the ancient tree with Kikyo's sacred arrow. Kikyo had asked him several times why he had betray her. It was the very question that went through his head over and over again, the question that he could not seem to figure out. He had wanted the Shikon no Tama to obtain his goal. Never in a century had he expected Kikyo to act the way she did.

He had expected to meet her there, in that very spot carrying the sacred jewel on her necklace. She had been waiting there, in that very spot. The wind blowing through her long black hair, which had been tied back with a white ribbon. She carried her bow and arrow with her. All seemed so calm that day. The weather was fresh and warm and the sun shown brightly. But a twist of events had come about.

Suddenly something had shot around the field in a whirl of speed. It had fast paced footsteps. Whatever it was had Kikyo in it's sights. As it rushed past Kikyo, it had drug it's claws across her shoulder, creating a huge gaping wound. Kikyo fell to the ground in an instant, landing with a thud, her necklace containing the Shikon no Tama had flew out of her hand, landing on the soft grass only a few inches away from her. Instinctively, she reached out to grasp the jewel, not caring about herself. Whatever it was had known about where she would be that day, and more specifically, knew that she had the Shikon no Tama with her.

Kikyo's hand slowly reached up the Shikon no Tama. It was slightly shaking and the blood from her wound seeping into her white kimono, making the wound seem bigger. Just as the Shikon seemed within grasp, she slightly and weakly closed her hand around it.

Suddenly a foot came down and stomped on her hand. The foot was a familiar one, it was strong and bony with long claws for toe nails. She could see a hand that seemed familiar to her swept across the ground, grasping the Shikon no Tama and bringing it up the side of the ominous figure.

The figure had brought it up to his face, he wore a red kimono and a necklace. He had silver hair and cold, golden eyes. It was Inuyasha.

Inuyasha.

Inuyasha.

"I have no desire whatsoever to become human." He snarled as he took off, leaving the injured Kikyo to lay I the field and bleed to death.

"Traitor!!" Kikyo shouted as she momentarily lifted herself up to shout at the malicious hanyou. She quickly fell back to the ground due to the pain of her wound.

Soon after, Inuyasha had shown up to claim the Shikon Jewel, apologizing for being late. He returned only to find an angry Kikyo asked him the same question 'Why did you betray me?' It was the same question that he could not figure out.

He wanted the Shikon no Tama to obtain his goal. He wanted the Shikon no Tama to become fully human so him and Kikyo could decide the fate of their love. It was true that he was a hanyou and she was a priestess, but that is why he wanted the Shikon no Tama. He loved Kikyo so much he would be willing to change for her, what had happened?

Inuyasha sighed a bit as the powdery pink cherry blossoms fell on his silver hair and blood red kimono. The occasional wind would blow them off and they would flutter to the soft grass below, landing gently on the thin blades.

He remembered the day when Kikyo was arisen from the dead and put into a clay shell by the witch, Urasue.

Urasue ventured to the very place where the priestess had been cremated. She had dug up the earth and gathered a small portion of her ashes that had been mixed in with the soil.

After Inuyasha, Shippou and Kaede had fallen from an old wooden bridge while battling clay soldiers, Urasue had found the appropriate moment to catch Kagome and take her back with her, in hopes to resurrect Kikyo.

She had already prepared a clay body for Kikyo to inhabit, it looked like her old one, but somehow, it was different. It was cold and hard. It was void of life.

Throughout the latter part of Kikyo's life, she had always held a flame of contempt for the hanyou. This flame had also been reincarnated into the school girl, Kagome. It lurked deep inside of her, as a part of Kikyo's original soul. This spark was soon to be brought out as something much more.

Inuyasha had been searching far and wide for Kagome, after all, he had to protect her. He was very concerned, and if her powers to sense the Shikon no Tama were to fall into Naraku's hands....He could not bear to think of what would happen.

Kagome laid there, her body soaked in a rancid smelling green potion, and Urasue's soul removal process had nearly been completed.

"Come out Kikyo." Urasue commanded as the black haired priestess lurched forward in her zombiesque manner.

"KIKYO!?!" Kagome exclaimed.

Kikyo!

It was Kikyo!

But how? Kikyo was dead, or at least she thought. Hadn't Kikyo died and had been cremated? How could Kikyo be standing right there before her? This was too much for Kagome to handle. She was left sitting in the green potion in shock at what she had seen.

Inuyasha had arrived as the soul was being separated from Kagome's body. He, like Kagome was stunned at what he saw. It was Kikyo! It also seemed that she was alive and standing before him! What?! How could this be?

All Inuyasha could do at the moment was stare, dumbfounded and astonished at what he had seen.

Kikyo's soul pleaded to Inuyasha...

"Please, please do not say my name.."

If Inuyasha said Kikyo's name, the hatred and malice would spring fourth from Kagome, creating a new Kikyo. A Kikyo that would be corrupt and dark, she would taint the Shikon no Tama with evil and thus, make the jewel shine brighter.

"Kik...yo.." Inuyasha stammered.

That was it! He had said her name! He had separated the two souls from one another, and Kikyo had been reborn once more. She would wander the earth in a clay hull, forever reminding him of the moment when they were tricked by Naraku.

So many memories seemed to plague the hanyou's mind. Memories of the past and present. Some good, and some bad. Mostly the bad. The betrayal. The accusations. The anguish and pain.

Inuyasha could recall shortly after when he had held Kikyo's cold hand. He grasp it firmly as she was hanging from the cliff. Inuyasha had asked her to return to Kagome's body. The clay maiden looked down into the uncertainty that lay past the fog below. Inuyasha had clearly upset her.

"Never...." Her cold voice said to him.

Inuyasha looked down at Kikyo, he was still listening to what she had to say.

"Huh?"

"I will never return to her. You cannot make me." Her eyes narrowed. " I see how it is...You just want me to die. Why is it that you care for that other woman more so then me? I will never rest, not until I kill you, Inuyasha!"

Kikyo's hand began to slip from Inuyasha's, and Inuyasha was loosing grip.

"My hand is slipping!"

By the time he had finished his sentence, Kikyo's hand had completely slid out of his and she was sent plummeting several feet below. She seemed to get farther and farther away as she slipped through the fog and disappeared from sight, Inuyasha still calling her name.

Kikyo wanted nothing more then to seek revenge on the one who had betrayed her so long ago. She was the reminder, the link. Cold. Cold and void of every emotion, except hatred and malice. This was the new Kikyo.

She had thought herself such a fool for listening to Inuyasha's promise. How could she have trusted him? She went out of her way by bringing the jewel far from the village to wait for him, only to be almost killed and have the jewel stolen in the process. She could not believe he would do that to her. She knew it was too good to be true.

Inuyasha glanced at the others once more. They were still talking. Miroku had stood up and prodded at the fire a little with the end of his staff. Shippou, however, was sitting on an old fallen tree trunk watching Miroku and talking to him.

Inuyasha reverted his gaze from the monk and the kitsune and gazed out over the vast lands of feudal Japan. The endless lines of trees and occasional rooftops of the houses. The horizon with the sky being pure and blue, adorn with the occasional white, puffy cloud. A few birds flew in the air every once in a while. The gentle winds blew, making more of the soft, pink cherry blossoms flutter to the ground below.

Inuyasha continued to ponder to himself, as he had for hours at a time. The hanyou had a lot to deal with. So many things plagued his mind. He would find an answer, he had to find an answer. The problem would never go away, nor would Kikyo. She wanted to kill him, and would not rest until she had done so. Inuyasha had to be strong and overcome anything that came in his path, no matter how intense it may be.

He was having trouble now, but sought answers to a problem that seemed endless.

  TBC  
~*~*~*~*

Well, what do you think? Good, bad, sad, repetitive? By the way, for those of you who wonder, I do like Kikyo's character, I don't always agree with what she does, but who does? I was just getting a feel of Kikyo's character, not necessarily bashing, but you may take it like that if you wish.

Well, on the real question at hand. Do you think I should continue? If so, please leave me a kind review. Your reviews are much appreciated. So, so as the summary says and R&R, so I can continue this, if not, I'll probably just throw it away or something.

R&R! ONEGAI!!