InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sacrifices of the Heart ❯ Chapter 2 The Beginning of Chaos ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

All Normal Disclaimers Apply

Title: Sacrifices of the Heart
Author: Scottishfae
Rating: M
Genre: A/U, later sexual themes

Summary: A struggle for power within their home village leaves Kikyo and Kagome competing for the position of high priestess of the powerful local shrine. However, when war approaches and the only way to protect themselves is through a pact with a local demon tribe, which woman will step up to become the mate of the tribe's leader.
 
A/N: Sorry for it taking so long to get this out. Don't kill me please. Don't expect an update until December (unless I receive a lot of encouragement by way of reviews/comments) since my semester is finally winding down. This means papers galore! I will be working on the next chapter though, so hopefully I'll have the next chapter out before Christmas.
 
Enjoy and don't forget to review. And thanks to all those who have been reviewing up to this point, all of y'alls encouragements have been helping me out so much.
 
One last thing: Though I did go through many editing processes to finish this chapter, I will admit I skipped on looking it over one last time before posting this. I'll try and go back through and correct any *major* problems, if there are any. Sorry for all the rushing.
 
 
Chapter Two: The Beginning of Chaos
 
The day to report to the temple had arrived quicker than some had wished. The temple was brimming with people and the noise was about to drive Kaede crazy. Tea had been delivered to her humble quarters and she tried to use all the meditative skills she knew to drown out the noise. All it seemed to do, however, was increase her headache. She was starting to believe that this might have been a mistake.
 
“Regrets?” A slurred voice asked from the doorway.
 
Kaede sighed, really not in the mood to deal with the local drunken shrine keeper. Without a word she rose. She sent a sharp look to the wide man blocking her way from exiting the room.
 
“Watch out for the wall,” he chuckled.
 
Kaede, bent over slightly with clasped hands behind her back, ignored the comment. The bane of her existence, in the form of the lecherous drunk, wouldn't let her live down the days right after her accident. Depth perception was still something Kaede had troubles with and walls next to door passageways became a menace to her old frame.
 
“Time to begin,” she stated, more for herself that the man before her.
 
He just snorted and lifted his ever-present jug of sake. He paused before any of the liquid touched his chapped lips. “If you need me, call for me.”
 
Kaede rolled her eyes as he finally took a swig. He hobbled off down the hall, opposite of where she was dreading on going. She stood and looked down the dusky hall. At the very end the light filtered through the door leading outside.
 
After a few more moments, Kaede allowed her bare feet to take her down the path towards finding her replacement. It was going to be a long day, if the volume of noise was any indication of the amount of people who had showed up.
 
Coming to the end of the hall, she slid the door aside, the light temporary blinding her. A hush stole over the crowd as she stepped into her shoes and walked into view of those awaiting her arrival.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Two loud, boisterous laughs could be heard from outside the recently besieged palace walls. The dead corpses of the lord's men were strewn across the grounds. By the main palace building, the head of the man who once ruled over the land was being held on a stake. The body was in pieces scattered about the grounds.
 
Near the impalement, on an elevated walkway, a small man sat cross-legged apparently not bothered by the death and destruction surrounding him. He was leaning against the wall, his long, dark braid pulled over his shoulder.
 
Another round of laughter shook the building and the small man grunted at the nuisance. Moments later another man, this one much taller than the other and his clothes disheveled on his form, walked out onto the porch
 
He spotted the other man and, with a drunken smile, sauntered up to the other. “Bankostu,” the taller man whined. “What are you doing out here?”
 
The man, now identified as Bankostu, cracked open an eye to take in his drunken companion. “Jakostu,” the unexpectedly rough, deep voice replied. “Leave me alone.”
 
Jakostu looked puzzled down at his commander. “Aw, Bankostu! You're so mean!” He whined as he collapsed into the lap of the “big brother”.
 
These two strange men were the strongest, deceptively, of the Band of Seven. The infamous band of thieves and had been the realized fear of many people, noble and common alike. They raided through countries pillaging everything and taking odd jobs for lords that had the correct price.
 
However, many years ago, back before the rename of Pua into Kokufu, the band had been ambushed by the different human feudal lords. They had united against the thieves who they had felt were growing out of their control and therefore too dangerous.
 
The ambush had been successful and all seven of the powerful humans were put to death. Their bodies were disposed of via ditch and their weapons split up between the feudal lords as spoils of battle and trophies of their accomplishment.
 
The castle that these supposedly dead men were now occupying was the last of the feudal lords that had attacked them years earlier. This lord, who had organized the original treachery, had kept the biggest prize and Bankostu was very happy to get his Banryuu back. And his vengeance.
 
The large sword was more than twice the small man's body size and the weight would require more than three normal men to carry it. However, the skilled and powerful leader had no trouble wielding the enormous, and deadly, blade.
 
Now they were awaiting what to do next. They had successfully taken out the power structure in Mikai and the new leadership was tyrannically being implanted. Nothing the band really worried about.
 
Jakostu was now lying down with his head pillowed in Bankostu's lap. The smaller one was seemingly ignoring the flamboyant warrior but his fingers, however unconsciously, were combing through Jakostu's short hair.
 
“So what now big brother?”
 
Bankostu didn't answer but instead continued to drown out the noise coming from inside. They sat there for some time, Jakostu practically purring from the attentive fingers raking through his hair.
 
“Hey!” He shouted when the affectionate stroking stopped. “Why d'you…” Jakostu stopped his question as he saw the figure standing in the courtyard in front of them.
 
He stood up ready to fight if needed. Three more of the seven exited the building at the feeling of the immense evil energy. Bankostu didn't move.
 
“Who is the baboon man?” Suikostu asked.
 
No one answered him. The cloaked man approached the building.
 
“Naraku,” Bankostu greeted still seemingly uncouth about the sudden appearance.
 
“Bankostu, I see you have retrieved your weapon.”
 
Said man nodded his head in reply. He tried to say very little to the man in front of him and it took a lot of his control not to quake in his presence.
 
“Now that you are fully armed and manned, be prepared to move into Eiga soon.”
 
“Soon? Why not now?” Jakostu whined, not happy that they would be inactive for an undetermined about of time.
 
Naraku didn't turn to address Jakostu directly but he answered the question anyway. “There is a barrier to the West that must be destroyed before you're services can be useful. My child is already bringing down this problem, however unknowingly. Then with its destruction you will freely be allowed to create chaos in Eiga.”
 
“Your child? Another detachment? You have a lot of confidence in them, you sure they can do it?” Bankostu spoke in his usual arrogant tone.
 
He knew very little about Naraku but certain knowledge he had been given in return for unquestioned obedience. The truth about Naraku's minions and their literal attachment to the demonic man was one of the things he was privy to.
 
Naraku didn't say anything but a soft chuckle was heard under the skin. “Await my orders, do what you like until then but just be prepared when the time comes.”
 
Bankostu nodded. The baboon covered man left in a flurry of miasma.
 
“Uh-Bankostu, who was that?” Jakostu asked settling back down next to the leader.
 
“He is the one we work for.”
 
“Why?” Renkostu asked extremely weary of the situation and not fully trusting the smaller man.
 
“He is the reason we have returned,” was the only explanation given.
 
Jakostu and Bankostu returned to their positions prior to the interruption. Mukostu waddled off to another building in search of food or some other form of entertainment. Suikostu and Renkostu returned inside for more sake with the largest of the band, Kyokostu and Ginkostu.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Miroku looked up at the top of the shrine as a hush came over the crowd. “Damn, she's old,” he mumbled under his breath.
 
The women that had shown up to the temple were somewhat moderately pretty, if one squinted their eyes in just the right way...with just the right amount of sunlight lacking.
 
“What's going on?” A hidden Shippo asked from Miroku's sealed pack.
 
The monk nervously looked around to make sure no one had heard the disembodied high-pitched voice. Though some were eyeing him from the corner of their eyes, they were all mainly focusing on the woman above them…
 
…who was currently ending her speech.
 
Miroku looked around as people began to move. He realized that he missed the whole speech and therefore something important, such as directions.
 
He sighed and turned to follow the crowd hoping that Buddha would be merciful and guide him...
 
...towards the nearest place to get a stiff drink and company with a beautiful woman.
 
A soft, girlish giggle attracted his attention first. Miroku turned to see a beautiful young woman, a few years younger than he, laughing lightly at him.
 
He took in the appearance of the young woman, infinitely happy with Buddha and his generosity towards his loyal followers. She had blue-black tresses that hung in such a way that framed a delicate face. Her face, and all the skin the monk could appreciatively see, wasn't as pale as some, meaning she was of a lower class, but she wasn't quite tan either.
 
Her clothes were ragged, a beaten kimono hung loosely on her form, indicating it was a hand-me-down and, for Miroku, hiding any hint of curves on the young woman.
 
She had a very small pack with her and just in site from its inside was a white leg of a homemade looking stuff animal.
 
However, none of this mattered as Miroku became mesmerized by her face. Her eyes sparkled when she smiled and her smile made all of the evidence of her poverty, and the world in general, wash away into oblivion. Her smile, and her current laughter, were captivating and entranced those lucky enough to be presented with it.
 
It was this captivation that had Miroku standing slack-jawed, like a fool, staring (and possibly drooling) blankly at the giggling girl.
 
“You look lost,” she spoke partially shaking him out of his trance.
 
The crowd was starting to thin as the people began getting to their destination. “You weren't paying attention, were you?” She asked.
 
Miroku nodded. His eyes were still trained on the woman's smiling face. “Let's go,” she said, motioning for him to follow her.
 
“Lady Kaede said for everyone to go to the fields over there," she pointed to an area to the right of the shrine where the large group was now occupying. “We're to perform a task while she and some of the other temple staff evaluate us and make a selection for the next task.”
 
“Ah, so they'll use mundane chores to narrow us down,” he was able to comment struggling to pay attention to what she was saying and not the subtle hint of swaying hips under the faded gray kimono.
 
They were nearly at the field when she spoke again. “My name's Kagome, by the way.”
 
“Miroku,” he introduced himself to her with his most boyish of smiles.
 
Kagome stepped a bit away from him. He gave her a look of confusion. “I don't trust that grin,” she said warily.
 
“My lady, I am a monk.”
 
Kagome nodded, her smile returning. She didn't step closer though.
 
They were now standing next to the field with everyone else awaiting the next bit of instructions. A whisper was going through the crowd that drew Kagome's attention. She leaned forward so she could hear the men discuss something in front of her.
 
“Did you hear? Boushi Kikyo, the daughter of Akigo-sama, is here too.”
 
“I saw her earlier. Such a regal beauty! Why would Akigo-sama allow her here?”
 
Kagome straightened up. Her eyes were wide and she drew herself up on tippie toes to try and find the renowned Boushi woman.
 
Miroku had come closer while she was bent forward in hopes of getting a good grope. He didn't have the chance before she stood up again. He soon found her stretched above him though, with one hand on his shoulder to help keep balance. Miroku couldn't let the opportunity go and he put his arm around her waist, to help keep her balance, of course.
 
She stiffened when he began to move his hand lower. She jumped aside. “Oh, I knew that smile was dangerous,” she screamed.
 
People around them turned to stare as Kagome walked off in anger. She was fuming and not looking where she was going.
 
As expected in such a situation she ran straight into someone in her haze of anger. She fell back gracelessly landing on the ground. Dust stirred around her, only adding to her anger as she bit back tears from the invading particles. She was completely ready to chew out the person she had run into.
 
When she lifted her head, she found herself looking at an expensive kimono. Kagome's eyes widened as she beheld the aloof Boushi woman standing before her. “Lady Kikyo, I-I'm sorry. I-I s-should have been more careful.”
 
The cold beauty turned her head to ignore the stuttering woman below her.
 
“Kagome-sama, are you okay?” Miroku asked as he ran up to her.
 
He extended his hand to help her up; however, his attention wavered when he laid eyes on the Boushi beauty and ended up dropping Kagome back down to the ground half way up. He began at once trying to grab her attention but she steadfastly ignored him.
 
Kagome fumed and quickly got off the ground. She dusted herself off, trying to regain some of her lost dignity. Miroku was all but drooling over Kikyo, who looked sickened at her current predicament. Kagome huffed and stalked off towards the edge of the crowd.
 
“Your friend just left you.” Kikyo's voice snapped at Miroku in hopes he would leave her be.
 
The monk looked around to see the back of Kagome's ragged kimono fluttering away from him. He was going to ignore her but the air of contempt wafting from the highbrow in front of him had the monk rethinking his decision. “Never aim to high,” he murmured to himself before running off after the long departed Kagome.
 
Kikyo was intrigued that she had already met the young woman who now held Naraku's short attention span. The girl seemed interesting, utterly untamed and wild, if not a bit stupid and naïve. Kikyo felt truly sorry for the seemingly very friendly woman. Her natural untamed side doomed her to the fate of being broken by a truly heartless and demonic man.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Attention was brought to the front. Kaede was back in front of the crowd. Once she seemed to have everyone's attention she began to speak. “Today's task is to help in the fields. A field manager will instruct you on your duties. We'll take volunteers on who wants to work where and no certain place is better than the other. During these tasks you'll be observed and by the end of the day, I will discuss with the field managers on who will be selected for the next round.”
 
There was a murmur through the crowd.
 
“I will divide up everything through volunteers, starting with the fields farthest off. Jinenji-san, step up please.”
 
A monstrous man, obviously not fully human, with large bulbous eyes and an elongated jaw, stepped up. A collective gasp could be heard from the group and many of the people began to creep backwards.
 
“Jinenji-san works beyond the forest. Who would volunteer to accompany him?”
 
The whispers of horror on joining such a man in a place that seemed dangerous in itself, started immediately.
 
“I've heard he's half-demon,” one man whispered to another.
 
They were at the front of the crowd but near the far-right edge. “He'll surely kill us once we're alone with him. How can Kaede-sama allow any demon blood to take step on such a holy place?”
 
Kagome stood behind the men, listening to the gossip going on around her. She had to angle herself around the others to be able to see. She watched as the inhuman eyes of Jinenji dimmed and he bowed his head in hurt and shame from the comments about him. The young woman clenched her fist at the cruelty of the people surround her. She stepped back slightly and took her slight bag within her hands. She slung the pack, with all her weight behind it, at the men in front of her.
 
They collapsed to the ground with protest. Kagome nodded her head in approval of her work and walked over the men in front of her.
 
Everyone was staring in horror at the young woman who had just taken out two able-bodied men. Kagome couldn't help but blush at the attention.
 
“You stupid girl, what do you think you were doing?” One of the men groaned from the ground.
 
He reached out and grabbed her leg, through her ruddy kimono. “Ah,” she screamed. “Let me go!”
 
She threw her bag on his head again. He released her and she tumbled to the ground.
 
“You certainly spend a lot of time on the ground,” an elegant voice spoke nearby.
 
Kagome fisted the dirt underhand and bit her lip in hopes that her temper would keep in check. Miroku was running up from behind Kikyo. “Kagome-sama are you alright?”
 
He reached down and offered his hand once again. Kagome eyed it wearily, not forgetting what had happened earlier. She eventually took it, however, with a hard grip so he couldn't drop her. He winced but pulled her up just the same.
 
Once certain that she was safely standing he made to take his hand back. He found that Kagome's grip refused to loosen. “Uh, Kagome-sama?”
 
“Kaede-sama,” the young beauty called. “We volunteer.”
 
She raised her hand, along w. Miroku's joined one, with a smile and an evil glint. Kaede smiled at the girl as she watched the monk try to get out of both her grip and the job.
 
“Jinenji-san looks like you have some lively helpers.”
 
The half-demon was already staring at the girl who was gloating at the sulking monk. His eyes had brightened a bit, if only for the good spirits the woman seemed to remain in, even in the light of having to be near him.
 
“I'll go as well,” Kikyo called coming to stand with the three.
 
A call of objection came from many in the crowd. No one wanted a member of the village nobility to go off with a half-demon, much less in such a dangerous area. No one else volunteered, however, and Kaede had already stated she would give no one special treatment.
 
“There you go Jinenji-san. Take them now and be back by sundown please.”
 
He nodded at the high priestess.
 
“Now for the next group, the fields at the edge of the forest. Haru-san is the field manager.”
 
A shirtless, muscular man covered in tattoos stepped up. The crowd stepped back in unison at the not-so-innocent smile on his face. The crowd gulped at the promise of being run ragged by the man in front of them.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Sesshomaru sat at a large table. Scrolls and other objects littered the desk in which the Western Lord was reading through. Various advisors and military generals sat arguing in front of him.
 
Rumors were flying in from everywhere about the threat from Mikai. Sessohmaru's own scouts had returned with confirmation that the human lords had been overthrown and the Taiyoukai of the area had seemingly disappeared. Word from the South and North had already filtered down that both the youkai and humans were being called into military alert.
 
“My Lord, we must follow the example of our neighbors and arm ourselves. We must not be caught unawares,” spoke a rather large and solid looking boar youkai.
 
The muscular general was one of his best and most valued soldiers within the Western ranks, though he usually was a bit rash and more than ready to jump into action before thoroughly thinking things through. Though both parties would be incredibly insulted at the suggestion, Sesshomaru knew that the attitude of the long-standing fighter matched that of his half-brother on many things. One reason, more than likely, that the two never got a long.
 
“We are obviously not unaware of the situation, so being caught thusly is nearly impossible,” the silky voice of the Taiyoukai spoke with barely hidden sarcasm.
 
A particular interesting scroll from a spy within Kokufu was currently holding his attention. The other people in the room began arguing again after his comment, as he reread the encrypted message.
 
Sesshomaru raised his head. One of his advisors, an elderly frog youkai who, in his old age, had taken on the appearance of a large Jaken, had tackled a much larger (and younger) general and was trying to gnaw his ear off.
 
The scene would have been comical to the Taiyoukai, had the message he just read not had been so serious. He ignored the fight altogether, however, and summoned Jaken. “Fetch my swiftest messenger,” he spoke and grabbed a blank scroll from a pile hidden under a military map.
 
The fight had stopped at their lord's voice. “Seiichi, put your men on alert, have them guarding the border along Mikai,”
 
“Just one legion? My lord, will that be enough?”
 
“Masakazu, keep your men on patrol in general. Expect an attack from anywhere, including within Eiga's borders,” he spoke already writing a message on the scroll he had earlier procured. “We received word that my brethren in the East were propositioned to rise against this Sesshomaru,”
 
“The wolves? How dare they!”
 
“They were attacked when they declined and my half-brother is taking of that at the moment,”
 
“Inuyasha? Are you sure he can take care of it?”
 
“With that we have proof that our enemies may exist within Eiga itself and therefore our guard should not be let down. We do not know where we shall be attacked and if we try to divide our forces to accommodate for this blindness, we will be spreading ourselves thin and leave the entire West open for downfall. Instead, let us allow our enemy to believe we are ignorant while we investigate and try and find out the source of this coup,”
 
“Coup?”
 
“Yes, I believe that this whole plot, that started in Mikai, has originated in Eiga, within the Western borders no less,”
 
“But My Lord, there is no way such a thing could happen under your constant vigilance,”
 
“Recent information I have received seems to confirm my theory and I will personally be investigating this more.”
 
“But sir!”
 
Sesshomaru finished writing his message in the scroll and sealed it. He looked at his advisors now that he had finished his task. The generals looked as if they were already planning ways of attack for the impending battles and the advisors looked nervous, for what reason the Taiyoukai was not aware of. “Without making it obvious, keep an eye on strange demonic happenings around Kokufu. Report anything strange immediately.”
 
“Kokufu? They are holding trials to select a new high priestess or priest, there will be many strange things going on.”
 
Sesshomaru demanded to know everything; he didn't care how insignificant they thought it might be. He explained, concealing the truth about his interest in the city incase there had been some dissension within his own ranks, that he believed if someone was to attack the West they would have to take down the temple at Kokufu first, which would leave all the humans helpless and the entire region would be plunged into chaos.
 
“Why don't you just allow my men to go in and set up barracks? We can make an excuse as to be there so not to alarm the people.”
 
The Taiyoukai inwardly sighed. “This position has already been taken. I do not want anyone to enter Kokufu without mine or Inuyasha's consent.”
 
“Inuyasha, My Lord? You certainly are relying on him a lot lately. Why not allow you're trained men to take care of this,” said the same boar youkai from earlier.
 
A sizzling sound stopped the general. The youkai gulped as he watched a chunk of the table dissolve under the Taiyoukai's acidic claws. “Do not question me,” he spoke.
 
The threat was spoken in the calm, ever beautiful tone he always used making it that more dangerous. “Y-yes, My Lord.”
 
They were all dismissed when Jaken returned with the messenger. A sleek, brown and white hawk youkai entered. Jaken began his usual routine of groveling as soon as he entered.
 
“Deliver this to the high priestess Kaede of the temple in Kokufu.”
 
“My Lord?” The hawk asked surprised.
 
He held out the scroll in response and she took with a low bow. “Make it swift but be as discreet as possible from both human and demonic eyes.”
 
The lower youkai bowed again in understanding before leaving through the window on her mission.
 
“My Lord?” Jaken asked.
 
Sesshomaru leveled his retainer with a glare. He was in no mood for the usual high-pitch complements and such.
 
He ran through his mind all the things he was in need to do and came to rest on his half-brother who he sent out earlier today. Something at the back of his mind was prickling in some form of warning. He wasn't sure what the prophetic meaning behind the subtle annoyance but he worried little about it. Inuyasha could take care of himself, however inefficient and brash the hanyou acted.
 
A flash of something through his mind's eye had him sit up straight from his recently half-reclined position. “Jaken, send Myoga to Inuyasha. Tell him to quickly secure things with the wolves and return.”
 
Jaken bowed and left the room in search of the cowardly retainer of the youngest Western son.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
“I'm Kagome,” the chipper, young woman spoke up from beside Jinenji.
 
He looked down at the smiling girl that showed no fear of being near him.
 
They had set out as soon as they had been dismissed and were quickly making their way through the ancient and dense forest. The woods had long been forbidden ground for the villagers, more for fear of demon attack than anything else. The guardian of the forest tended not to mess with anyone unless they were somehow considered threatening and so the fears of the villagers were quite empty. However, the villagers didn't know this and continued to steer clear from the area altogether.
 
All of this was quite fine with Jinenji since he had to deal with people as little as possible that way. They tended to fear his appearance and his bloodline, or half of it anyway, and what people feared they hated and, in Jinenji's case, abused brutally.
 
Kikyo watched the two in front of her chat amicably. The monk was far behind the group trying to be discreet in a conversation seemingly with himself. Abnormally sharp hearing allowed the Boushi to distinguish another soft voice back to Miroku's inquires and instructions. The sutras the monk had placed on his pack made it obvious that he was hiding something and that something happened to be alive. However, sensing no danger, Kikyo returned to listening to Kagome and the half-breed.
 
They continued to walk through the forest, Kagome making comments along the way. Jinenji found himself smiling slightly at the young woman. He was already certain that she would make an excellent priestess with the excessive kindness she exuded.
 
“Jinenji, you're late!” An elderly voice called as they came near the end of the forest.
 
“Sorry mother,” he answered in a slow drawl.
 
“Mother?” Kagome asked bending over to futility try and see further under the forest canopy.
 
They exited the forest to see large fields of low growing shrubs, all planted in perfect rows. A large hut stood at the top of a hill over the fields but next to the forest. An elderly, peasant woman stood stoking a large, rather odd looking, outside furnace.
 
“Only three? Well more than I expected but still not enough to get all the work done.”
 
Kikyo was looking out at the field with curiosity. “You grow kava-kava?” She asked.
 
The elderly woman looked surprised. “Yes, we grow and cultivate a variety of herbs for the temple. Kaede-sama uses them for her medicines.”
 
The three new workers looked over the field. From a far the fields looked almost similar but when one looked closely subtle differences could be seen. Each row was perfectly straight and impeccably kept. It was the plants that were growing that made the minute difference between each field. Each budding leaf and blooming flower provided a different array of sight, touch, and smell as you walked along the path.
 
“Well now,” Jinenji's mother said bringing attention back to herself. “I'd hate to see two such lovely girls have to work in the fields. Monk, you can join my son in the fields to do the weeding.”
 
Miroku looked scandalised but the look the woman was giving him had him too frightened to protest. He let down his pack with utter care before following the half-demon into the fields dejectedly.
 
“You two can help me dry the herbs,” the woman said, moving over to the odd furnace.
 
There was a fire in the lower part that looked much like an upside down bowl with a hole in the side to feed the fire. On top of this was an elongated part that matched the width of the bottom part at its base before gradually narrowing to a small hole on the top where the smoke was allowed to vent. On the side of the upper part was a small hatch door. Opening it, the elderly woman showed the girls the hanging herbs that were being smoked dried.
 
“We'll be hanging the herbs here to dry, it doesn't take long with this method and then, depending on the type of herb, we'll process it for the temple.”
 
“Process?” Kikyo asked.
 
“Yes, for example, this is ginseng and will be ground for its oils. They they'll be put in the skins,” she pointed to many small animal skin pouches hanging from the side of the hut, “for easier transport to the temple.”
 
Kagome was alternatively looking at the tasks being explained to her and watching the men in the field. “Excuse me? But don't you think this could be handled by two people just as easily as three?”
 
“Well, I suppose so, yes. Kami knows I do it myself most days. But the point of these trials,”
 
Kagome smiled and placed her pack next to Miroku's. “Well then, you two can handle this and I'll go help Jinenji and Miroku. We'll get more done that way instead of three people waiting around for herbs to dry,” she interrupted.
 
Before the elderly woman could comment, Kagome had run into the fields towards the two men. Both women watched amazed at the young woman's spirit. The elder of the two smiled as Kagome enthusiastically greeted her son and listened attentively to his instructions. Even with the devilishly handsome monk nearby, the girl focused her attentions on her work and chatting with both men equally. The surprise on the elder's face was evident as her son was coaxed out of his shell.
 
“Well, let's get going. I'll stoke the fires and then get the herbs out. Grab the mortar and pedestal and make yourself comfortable.”
 
The two remaining women went about getting ready for the days work. A delighted smile played on the eldest wrinkling face.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
The motley crew of inuyoukai were making their way quickly towards the Eastern territory. Two proper soldiers of Sesshomaru's ranks ran swiftly beside the younger lord.
 
Inuyasha had protested to the addition, however temporary, to his group but in the end caved. He had only brought a handful of his own men, and the extra soldiers may be proved useful. Hell would freeze over before the hanyou would ever admit this to his half-brother.
 
They were making good time and were expecting to be at one of the wolves' encampments within the hour. However, all the men were ill at ease. Something was waiting for them, they could feel it, and as they got closer they could both smell and taste it as well.
 
The wind roared and blood overtook their senses.
 
“Be attentive, look out for surprise attacks,” Inuyasha barked. “There will be no deaths on my watch! If one of you gets heroic or just has a lapse into stupidity and gets yourself killed, you can be damn sure I'll have you resurrected so I can fuckin' kill you myself.”
 
The two soldiers flanking the half-demon looked strangely at their temporary commander. When fighting within the Western army emotions were to be stamped out at the beginning of the training and completely abolished. However, the hanyou seemed to thrive on the raw emotions of his connection with his men and they likewise.
 
“Heads up,” a female inuyoukai screamed.
 
Moments later a gust of wind at unbelievable strengths came hurdling through the group. Everyone jumped away into the safety of the trees but their tightly packed formation had been abandoned.
 
Inuyasha had taken to the highest point on a tree in order to get a better vantage point. Judging by the type of attack and the fact that he could sense no youkai in the immediate vicinity, beside his own men, they were still quite a ways from their attacker. Making a decision on how they should proceed he barked out his next orders. “Split up into threes. Be careful and watch out for those in your group. Immediate retreat if the situation gets out of hand.”
 
The lone female youkai of the group stared up at their handsome leader. Her light blue hair was held high up on her head and swayed in the left over breeze from the earlier attack.
 
“Morika, you okay?” One of her companions asked her.
 
She nodded though her eyes did not leave Inuyasha. “This is no time to become love-stricken, sister,” a brute of a youkai growled.
 
Morika nodded. “Will you too retreat if the situation gets out of hand?” She whispered silently to the man who had stolen her heart back in their childhood.
 
Morika and her brothers had always been servantile to the Western family. She had grown up with the hanyou prince and after a particular incident, she had pledged her life to him. She had secretly always hoped that would mean serving him as his mate. However, even after she had grown into a smashing beauty, catching the attention of many of the other youkai in their band, Inuyasha had not paid any more attention to her. She would not give up, however, especially with the knowledge that as one of the sons of the Western lands his producing children would be required.
 
“Hey you three, did you not hear me?” Inuyasha yelled his eyes rested on the young female with a worried expression.
 
The group bowed in apology before taking off as the rest of their comrades had done already. The two soldiers remained, however, waiting for further orders. “I guess you two are with me,” the hanyou said.
 
He focused his attention on the surrounding area, keeping tabs as his men hid themselves and preceded forward. Once he was satisfied with the progress, Inuyasha moved directly, and in plain site, forward towards the target.
 
The two soldiers looked at each other curiously before following. They weren't ones to question orders but to have the leader approach a situation in such an obvious manner without knowing anything in advance seemed absolutely absurd and deadly.
 
Inuyasha landed in the clearing. His nose was immediately offended by the corpses of the wolves scattered about. He brought the red sleeve of his haori, a special gift from his late-mother made from the fur of the fire rat, and shielded his delicate nose with it.
 
His eyes searched the area to find the source of the earlier attack. “Come out, you bastard,” the hanyou yelled, much to the chagrin of the two trained soldiers behind him.
 
A sultry laugh ran through the clearing followed moments by a disembodied voice spoken through the wind. “Welcome lordling Inuyasha, I have been waiting for you.”
 
Said dog-eared man growled trying to pinpoint the location of the voice. The blood superceded the smell of the person and the wind had scattered the voice around the entire clearing.
 
“Sir,” one of the soldiers, a dark-haired inuyoukai, called out.
 
All three youkai brought their attention to their left.
 
“What the hell?” Inuyasha cursed, his hand immediately going for the hilt of his sword.
 
They watched in morbid fascination as the corpses began to rise off the ground. They hung above the ground, their lifeless forms slumped over, like puppets waiting for their master to pull at their strings.
 
“There is no way they can still be alive,” the other inuyoukai, a sandy-brown haired youth, said.
 
“No, they reek of death. They aren't alive, just being controlled,” Inuyasha explained, a growl rumbling deep within his chest.
 
The dark haired inu turned to the right to see more of the corpses rise.
 
“Shit,” Inuyasha cursed again. “You two distract these guys. I'm going to find the person behind this.”
 
Both soldiers nodded and took up defensive stances. The corpses were floating eerily above ground as if gathering a restless energy. Their eyes were blank and unblinking, and the wounds on their bodies were still slightly bleeding.
 
The light haired soldier kneeled down as if to run. “Ready?” One asked to the other.
 
“Yes, straight through and flank; make through the crowd and catch up with lord Inuyasha,” the other answered.
 
With a quick nod both youkai plowed through the corpses, taking off limbs with sharpened claws when they could. They soon found out, however, that even when decapitated, the corpses still attacked with amazing ferocity, strength, and accuracy.
 
The two soldiers held the wolves off for a while but the undefeatable corpses soon overtook them both. Inuyasha, who had been detained by the wolves himself, heard a cry from behind. He turned to see the dark-haired inu fall.
 
“Shit!” Inuyasha cursed and prepared himself to run back to help the fallen.
 
“Watch out!” A scream came from his left.
 
He turned in time to see Morika crumple down from a blow. One of the wolf corpses hung above both of them. Morika's blood dripped from its claws down to pool by her fallen form.
 
“Damn,” Inuyasha growled, shoving the wolf away.
 
“In the clearing now,” he barked.
 
All the remaining inuyoukai appeared in a flash.
 
“Get these injured back to the Palace. I'll meet you back there.”
 
There was a slight delay before the able-bodied stole away with the injured. Once the hanyou was sure his comrades had gotten away and were at a safe distance, he pulled out his unused sword. The decaying hilt and rusted blade transformed once out of the scabbard into the magnificent fang of his late-father Inutashio.
 
He smirked as he held out the magnificent weapon and prepared himself to take out the whole clearing, corpses, target, and anything else that had the misfortune of being in the path of his attack.
 
Inuyasha began to relax his mind and body as he expanded his senses. His already keen eyes visibly sharpened as they began to see the flow of youki in a wind-like force. His own youki was surging out from him to clash violently with the opposing force. The place where they met was called the wind scar, and the name of his most used attack. By using this area as a place to focus his attack, on the sword's power gained in intensity and its destructive power was almost unlimited. This was the Tetsaiga, the legacy Inutashio had left to his youngest son in order to protect, and only the half-demon could wield it.
 
“What the hell?” Inuyasha lowered his sword.
 
The corpses had closed in on him but it was the unusual youki they were exuding that made him pause in his attack. He thought about it briefly and realized that the bodies themselves, having already lost their life force, shouldn't be giving off any youki to begin with.
 
While he took in this new information, a horrible ripping noise echoed through the clearing. Inuyasha flattened his ears against his head but didn't have to question the source of the noise. The bodies of the wolves had begun to tear apart. The blood that remained in the lifeless bodies spilled to the ground and splattered over Inuyasha.
 
The hanyou scrunched his nose in disgust as he assessed his blood soaked clothes. His attention was diverted from his dog-like method of ridding his clothing of offending liquid by something rapidly approaching him from the east.
 
A whirlwind approached the area and Inuyasha lifted his bloodied Tetsaiga in defense. Out of the tornadic column a solid form missiled out to land many feet in front of Inuyasha.
 
A tawny wolf youkai with long black hair tied in a high ponytail stood in front of him. Blue eyes scanned the clearing, a growl bubbling up in his throat, until his gaze came to rest on the hanyou.
 
The wolf youkai bared his fangs. “Ugly red outfit, silver hair, gold eyes and dog-ears? You must be the half-breed, Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha relaxed some as he recognized his arrogant canine cousin, allowing the common insult to slide due to the current circumstances. “Koga, I assume,” Inuyasha replied back, sheathing his sword.
 
“I wouldn't do that if I were you,” Koga growled.
 
Inuyasha looked slightly confused.
 
“I'll kill you for massacring my kinsmen.”
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened at the accusation. “H-hey wait, I didn't do this!”
 
“A likely story! You're covered in their blood,” Koga growled, charging the hanyou with speed unique to the wolf prince.
 
Koga came at Inuyasha, his claws bared for the attack.
 
“Oh shit,” Inuyasha grunted, preparing to defend himself.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Hojo sat in the corner of the room, awaiting instructions. Naraku was yet again lounging in his home. A black kiseru was held between pristine teeth as he causally smoked the fine, imported tobacco.
 
Hojo was uncomfortable in the room, more so than usual, and he wasn't sure why. He could feel something huge building and it seemed to be frighteningly disastrous.
 
“What makes you uneasy?” Naraku asked.
 
Hojo was startled. He had never been addressed in such a way and he couldn't help but notice the civil tone in which his master had used. He stamped down the urge to express his unease with Naraku himself, fearing the rebuke he'd be given.
 
“N-nothing sir,” Hojo replied and bowed low.
 
Naraku shifted slightly so that he could see the human you easier. “Nonsense, what is the matter?
 
Hojo knew not to anger a currently placid Naraku. “There just seems to be an anxious air as of late. It just has me worried.”
 
Naraku's lips separated and stretched in a creepy smile. “Hojo-kun, there is no reason to be anxious.”
 
Hojo nodded and bowed his head. He kept his eyes on his fiddling hands. He could feel his employer's eyes still focused on him.
 
Naraku's smile turned into a smirk as he gave a curt nod. He watched as an orb of light passed through the wall directly behind Hojo. It continued moving forward, entering the servant between his hunched shoulders.
 
Hojo gasped and his body shuddered. He fell forward, a silent scream ripped from his throat. His eyes dilated, becoming unfocused, before two yellow, cat-like pupils became visible.
 
Naraku rose and walked to stand in front of the newly possessed man. “I think this form is becoming of you,” he said cupping Hojo's cheek.
 
“I am offended, my lord,” a voice similar to Hojo's with a feminine edge replied.
 
“You shouldn't be. I do not discriminate,” Naraku left the room with the unspoken order for the possessed youth to follow.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
Kagura smiled as she watched the cousins fight. The hanyou was desperately trying to talk the wolf into submission. She had waited until she was sure the wolf would be entering the clearing before severing her puppets. The wind youkai was biding her time before revealing herself.
 
She half-hoped the two canine kinsmen would kill each other, however, Kagura itched for a good fight and wanted to be able to spill blood on her own.
 
“Why are you waiting?” Kagura rolled her eyes as she turned.
 
A man clad in a baboon skin stood next to her. They were both hidden from the battle below and Kagura's control of the wind kept their scent from the sensitive noses.
 
“I am surprised that you would come out here.”
 
Though his face was covered Kagura had the distinct impression of a dangerous smile appearing on his handsome face. “Do not misunderstand my appearance,” was the cryptic reply.
 
The wind-youkai nodded for lack of a response. She turned back towards the clearing to continue watching the battle that unfolded below. Koga gained the upper hand as Inuyasha continued on the defensive. He all but refused to return the attacks. Instead he battled against the wolf trying to keep him at bay. Koga would listen to nothing the hanyou had to say. His attacks were fierce, powered by adrenaline and his own natural speed.
 
Inuyasha tried to think quickly on his feet but the wolf obviously was not going to allow the hanyou a chance to escape.
 
A sinister chuckle bubbled from the depths of the baboon-clad puppet. Kagura stilled the shivers that threatened to run down her spine from the unnatural sound. “Make sure they are both dead by the end and then follow on to the rest of the wolves,” his deep voice commanded. Kagura nodded. “I am off to see a new friend of ours. I have a job for him to do.”
 
The wind incarnation made no move to respond and the baboon clad man left in the same manner he had arrived in.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
A piercing scream echoed throughout the clearing drawing everyone's attention. The entire area froze in horror at the blood curdling sound. Moments later the source of the scream was being carefully shielded by an abnormally large arm. “Kagome-sama, what's the matter?” The young monk asked.
 
Worry was etched in his voice and his forehead was wrinkling with concentration.
 
“W-worms!” She screamed again tightening her hold on Jinenji.
 
The half-demon and monk looked at each other in confusion before shaking their heads in disbelief. “Kagome, worms are part of the fields. They keep the soil fertile so the plants can grow better.”
 
The young woman's curiosity kicked in. She disengaged herself from Jinenji and crept up to the place she had just moments ago fled. She kneeled down and lifted the Kava-kava leaf. “These things really keep the soil fertile?”
 
Jinenji nodded. He stepped behind her and kneeled down as well. He gently lifted the worms, dirt and all, into the palm of his hand. Kagome stared at the earthworms as they accustomed themselves to their temporary dwelling.
 
Miroku watched the two as Kagome tried to gather the courage to touch the wriggling creatures. His face was solemn but his eyes were laughing at the unusual girl.
 
“Hey you three, get back to work,” Jinenji's mother shouted from the above lying hill.
 
Miroku grumbled about slave driving before turning back to his work. Kagome gave up on the worms and, blushing brightly with embarrassment, turned back to work as well. Jinenji carefully sat the dirt and its living inhabitants back to where he took it.
 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 
It had been morning when the group had started their work. The sun was directly overhead when the group took a break for lunch. They had gathered up on the hill. The three working in the fields were covered in dirt and perspiration. Kikyo, even with the frequent trips in front of the hot kiln, still looked elegant and pristine. Kagome's face scrunched as she compared her own disheveled appearance to the Boushi noble.
 
The elderly woman was inside the large hut now and smoke from a hole in the thatched roof was meandering out into the cloudless, blue sky. The smell of freshly cooked fish and roasting vegetables wafted towards the group.
 
Kagome was satisfied when she heard Kikyo's stomach growl to the welcoming smell. At least she knew the woman wasn't completely immune to the needs of being human.
 
Jinenji's mother exited the hut with a wooden ladle in hand. “You three, go clean up by the stream. I won't allow you to track dirt into my home, no matter how humble it may be,” she ordered.
 
In the same gruff voice, with no signs of playing favorites, she ordered Kikyo inside to help with finishing the meal. If one looked close enough they would have seen a slight look of panic pass through the noble eyes. She steeled herself quickly, however, and entered the hut.
 
The other three members of the group made their way down to the nearby stream with Jinenji in lead. Miroku had grabbed his pack on the way down the hill again. When they reached the stream he quickly separated himself from the other two and made his way further downstream.
 
“Don't go too far away,” Jinenji told the monk.
 
He stopped and turned. The boyish smile, the one that Kagome had correctly guessed earlier not to trust, was splitting his face. “I promise to be back quickly Jinenji-san,” he spoke in his most innocent, and yet most incriminating, voice. “I am simply trying to keep my own modesty by going further downstream. It would be a horror for myself to expose myself to Kagome in order to take a quick dip to cleanse my body of all this grit.”
 
Jinenji nodded to the monk that he was fine to go but his focus was on the queer color Kagome was turning. The monk turned back around, chuckling at Kagome's response, and made his was towards a bend where he would be out of sight.
 
Once he got there, and assessed he was truly alone, he released the guarding seals on his pack. Moments later a hyperactive fur ball barreled out and began running around the area. Not being fully aware of where he was, the small kitsune soon found himself floating in the shallow creek after slipping on some of the exposed river rocks.
 
“Miroku!” He screamed while shaking himself off of the water.
 
Miroku look disheartened at his now fully soaked clothes. “How could you leave me locked in there for so long? It was horrible! And dark! And smelly!”
 
“Smelly?” Miroku asked.
 
He grabbed a hold of his pack and delved his face into it. Sure enough there was a definite funk emitting from the depths of its darkness. He set the pack down and began pulling out its contents in search of the horrid smell.
 
Shippo was still running around, getting out excess energy by trying to pounce on butterflies and other miscellaneous insects.
 
Miroku was halfway through pulling out his stuff when he started to debate the smell originating from anything he belonged. “Shippo, I think that smell was you,” he spoke, thrusting his nose into his pack again.
 
Shippo's growl was his only answer.
 
“I'm sorry Shippo, but it didn't smell like this before you took up inhabitance in it,” he spoke without looking up.
 
The growling got louder and Miroku looked up when a rather large shadow fell over him. Above him was a glowering Kagome. He smiled sheepishly from his position on the ground.
 
“Oh, you jerk!” Kagome all but yelled. “Not only do you keep something so cute in your pack but you accuse him of being the source of your own smelliness!”
 
Both males froze in confusion at the angry woman. Her focus turned to the small kitsune and her mood instantly switched to “mother mode.” She stooped down and picked up the fox. Smiling down at him, she began to comb through his fur that had become matted from his previous fall into the cool creek waters. Shippo was soon purring away in her arms as gentle fingers raked through his fur.
 
Miroku had begun to put away his things again, silently fuming in jealously at the attention his ward was receiving.
 
“Why are you traveling with a kitsune youkai?” She asked.
 
Miroku finished repacking before he answered. “He very cleverly stole my staff recently and after I tracked him down, I found out that his parents had been killed. I took my staff back and agreed to keep him with me in return.”
 
The monk stood, his pack left unclosed on the ground. “And now Shippo, it's time to go back into your temporary home.”
 
Shippo began to cry and clung to Kagome. Her immediate reaction was to softly whisper comforting words to calm him down. “Why are you going to put him back in there? I don't think anyone would have a problem with such a cute, harmless kit around.”
 
Miroku sighed. “Kagome-sama, I have to disagree. Remember the hatred and distrust for Jinenji-san when they saw him? And he's just a half-demon. Think about what they would do with a full youkai around, child or not. The temple was built to keep youkai away, not to take and invite them in.”
 
“There's a half-breed here?” Shippo asked, his face scrunched in disgust. “Dirty blood!”
 
“Shippo!” Kagome admonished. “That's rude.”
 
The young fox immediately apologized but Kagome doubted the sincerity of it.
 
“Obviously Kagome-sama doesn't agree with that opinion. If she did then Jinenji wouldn't be helping out the temple,” Kagome commented.
 
She shifted Shippo so that he was resting on her hip. The kit in turn cuddled into the body of warmth he found himself against. Shippo sighed in contentment.
 
“But Kagome-sama, just because Kaede is accepting of youkai, doesn't mean the others are going to agree,” he began to argue.
 
He stopped, however, when he saw the two in front of him. Kagome cradled the kit to her like it was her own child and Shippo responded to the affection as any child would to a parent. He sighed again, accepting his own defeat.
 
“Just for now, while we are with Jinenji and his mother, since we knot they wont' have a problem with having a youkai around.”
 
Kagome squealed and spun around. Shippo clutched tightly to her clothing while the world spun around with him.
 
“Let's head back, I'm sure they are all waiting for us,” Miroku spoke, closing his pack and shouldering it.
 
“Hey Kagome?” Shippo asked looking up at the young woman.
 
“Yes?”
 
“Since Miroku is my new father,” Miroku froze in horror at this. Kagome bit her lip to hold back a snicker. “Will you be my new mother?”
 
It was Kagome's turn to freeze, her eyes wide. Miroku chuckled and sauntered up to the young woman. “Well Kagome-sama, how about we consummate this parental status by producing a sibling for little Shippo.”
 
A vein twitched on Kagome's forehead while she tried to control her temper. It was Miroku's turn to step back at the look she was giving him.
 
Without a word, she turned and walked back towards where they had come. Miroku watched the two, a smirk claiming his face with the relationship that she hadn't hit him for his lecherous remark.
 
“Come on Miroku!” Shippo yelled back.
 
“Coming,” he called back and broke out in a jog to catch up.
 
……………………… ;..
 
Thanks for reading this. Please don't forget to leave me a comment (more than one-word reviews, or commands to update, are ever so helpful *wink wink*)!
 
If you need any questions answered, leave a review/comment w. a way I can get back to you, and I'll be happy to address it (or I'll do so in another chapter, if you'd prefer that).
 
If anyone has any request of characters to see in upcoming chapters, drop me a note and I'll consider it.
 
Thanks again!
 
~fae