InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Same Thing, Different Time ❯ The Chase ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is my first attempt at writing a fanfiction story. My own writings have always been private and only for myself, but since finding the site I've gotten the urge to share my own story line. It's not all that long, but I hope that I've been able to capture your attention to encourage for more. Your opinions and thoughts are appreciated, but please be kind if there's something critical you have to say.

Disclaimer: Even though he may own my heart (too!) -- I do not own any part of InuYasha, and I do not seek to gain anything in means of profit, rights, or anything else from creating this. This story is only a fanciful musing from a person that totally adorns the characters and story as it is (and sometimes wish that I was really a part of that life and not the one I'm in now).

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*-*-

Same Thing, Different Time

by: aishiteru_inu

Part 1: The Chase

Her feet pounded the pavement as she ran as fast as she could as if the devil himself was after her, heart pounding against the bone of her chest so hard she thought it would rip out of it's cage. Her lungs felt that they were near to bursting as she gasped for each breath she took. The sharp sting of air hurt the back of her throat as she continued to run, but she couldn't stop, if she did he would catch her and then…. She didn't want to think about that.

Down the concrete steps she ran, jumping that last few. That was a mistake for she found herself tumbling forward until she was sprawled upon the ground. Her right knee burned terribly and so did the palm of her hands, but without thought or hesitation she launched herself up and took off again.

Fear was the only thing that kept her going, because her legs felt as though they were lead weights as she struggled to put one in front of the other.

She half ran, half skidded down the embankment where there was a tunnel bridge. If she could just get to the other side of that tunnel she wouldn't be too far from her home.

Risking a glance behind her, she looked over her shoulder just before entering the darkened tunnel, but she didn't see anyone behind her. In a jarring halt, she plastered herself up against the side of the cold wall, listening, trying to control her breathing as it interfered with her hearing. Even the blood that pumped through her veins made it difficult for the thump, thump, thump pounded rhythmically inside her head, pulsing at her temples.

'Remain calm,' she told herself silently, trying to gather her frightened nerves together. 'Remain calm.'

She couldn't hear any sign of approaching foot falls, but at least she didn't see the appearance of anyone either.

Slowly she backed further into the under bridge walkway, keeping to the darker shadows against the wall as if the bright white coloring of her shirt wasn't like a beacon in itself! Several more seconds passed, but it was to give her more of a chance to catch her breath than anything else, then she turned to continue her escape.

The soft pounding of her paten leather shoes made the only sounds of footsteps she heard. She was nearly at the end of the tunnel, and still there was no one, having looked behind her twice more to see if she was still being pursued. No one that is until she turned her glance back around to the front of her and that's when she stopped dead in her tracks.

Was it her imagination or did this guy just drop down from the 12 foot high overpass? It was only a blur as she was in the process of turning her head back around, but by whatever means, he now stood in front of her.

He stood there with legs apart, wearing a pair of old faded blue jeans with the knees splitting out across the fabric; fringes of threads hung around the edges of the holes. The shoes he had on his feet looked like they were once some kind of name brand, but the logo had long since been scuffed off and the soles were well wore. They were only loosely tied which amazed her that he kept up with her so well. The bright red tee shirt he wore looked as if he had ripped the sleeves off, and it allowed his bare arms to be fully exposed to show the sleek muscled curves of his upper arms, which, by the way, he had crossed in front of his chest. Black fingerless, leather gloves sported each hand.

Her gaze rose up further, and upon inspection she noticed a string of beads and -- what were those? claws? teeth? -- around his neck. Looking past his shoulder, she couldn't mistake the silver-white of his hair as it cascaded down to an unknown length behind him. Hair? Is that what one would call it, because it looked more like silky strands of fluff than regular hair for the way it had more body to it.

Lifting her eyes a bit more should have had her looking him square in the face, but her eyes caught sight of something else which immediately took her attention to a much higher point of his head.

Her eyes grew wide as she realized that there were two white triangular shapes atop his head, which peeked over the silver white mane of hair. Ears? He had… dog ears?

So fascinated at such an unusual sight, she forgot about the fear of her immediate personal danger. Her lips parted slightly and she had just felt the twinge of muscles at the corner of her mouth starting to curl when the deep male voice snapped her out of her reverie.

"You've got something of mine, and I want it back!" he snapped with a bit of malevolence. "Either give it to me now, or you won't like what I do next."