InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Same Thing, Different Time ❯ What's In A Collar ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any part of InuYasha, and am still not seeking to gain anything in means of profit, rights, or anything else from creating this.

If you haven't figured it out already, the bold print words are what people are saying to themselves in their heads.

Thanks the two people that did give me reviews, I hope that you continue to enjoy the story.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Same Thing, Different Time

by: aishiteru_inu

Part 6: What's In A Collar?

The rhythmic, insistent drumming of nails upon the wooden desktop was an indication of the irritation the person felt. They sat there in the hard wooden chair next to the desk piled with papers and scattered writing utensils, stapler, tape dispenser, a telephone and a couple of small pictures in silver square frames. One had the image of two girls, one a teenager and the other just a small child. Both had smiles on their faces, but the older of the two had a distant sadness in her doe-like brown eyes that even the curve of her lips couldn't hide. The second picture was one of only the older girl and she had the same like expression upon her face as there was in the previous picture. Still, despite the sadness, it couldn't distract from her beauty. A beauty that was both in gentleness and spirit.

Heat prickled at the back of the golden eyes, forcing them to look away. He did not want to be pulled into the sadness himself right now. He did not want to think about her.

His glance went to the clock on the wall and his ire started fuming once more. A soft growl escaped his throat just as the door opened and a short, stocky woman who was reaching up in years walked in.

"What are you doing here, InuYasha," she said as she moved to the other side of the desk to sit down. "Don't tell me you're in trouble again."

The younger man jumped up, slapping his palms down upon the desk as he faced the older woman who now sat behind it. His claws making little furrows upon the surface.

"I want to know what the hell is going on!" he snapped.

"Going on?" she gazed at him with an unrevealing expression of whether she knew what he was talking about or not.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, you old…"

"Mind yourself, InuYasha," she ordered, cutting him off. "Or you might be finding yourself in a place you don't want to be."

He was already in more places he didn't want to be in, but kept the remark to himself. Pressing his lips together tightly, he pushed away from the desk in an angry pout. Turning his face away, he crossed his arms together.

"I want to know what this cursed thing is that you put around my neck."

The chair creaked as she sat back in it with a thoughtful look on her face. "Why do you ask?"

He faced her again, anger illuminating his features. "Because every damn time that girl says the word 'sit', it starts to glow and I feel a pull, then the next thing I know I'm eating a face full of dirt, that's why!"

The woman chuckled softly, but not in a way that it was meant to be in spite.

"I don't see what's so funny about it!" He grabbed the beads for about the hundredth time, trying again to pull them over his head. "And I can't get the damn thing off!!"

"You cannot take them off, InuYasha. Not now."

"What the hell are they?!"

"They are incantation prayer beads."

InuYasha fumed silently, feeling like a fool at allowing himself to be trapped so easily. 'BAKA!' He silently cursed himself, remembering the day when she had given him the necklace. He had been in trouble time after time, and old baba had always been there either to put him away or to escort him out. The beaded claw necklace had been a 'gift' from her one day after he was released from a two night stay in jail. He had been more than ready to get out of there, the pungent smells making him -- (excuse the pun) -- sick as a dog.

When she had given it to him, he had acted as if it meant nothing much to him, but still he took it and had worn it every since anyway. It had looked rather 'cool' with the claws on it as such. Now,… now he really felt a fool at thinking the gift was anything other than a control measure, one he was so smoothly tricked into. He wanted nothing more than to rip the cursed thing off and throw it as far away as possible. Dammit, he should have known better!

He grabbed them again, trying to tear it apart, but the beads glowed a muted blue light and refused to break.

"I can assume that the girl that unlocked the power to the beads was the girl from this afternoon?"

Giving up, he growled, "Yes!" more angry at himself for not sensing there was ever any power to them, but he more than realized it now.

"Does the girl know…."

"Of course she does," he ranted, cutting her off. "Having my head slammed into the ground seven times today was indication enough…"

"…about the jewel?" she continued what she was going to say in the first place. "About the necklace she carries?"

"Of course not. 'It was a present given to me for my birthday!'" he mimicked her words in a high pitch tone, scrunching his face up and rolling his eyes upward. "Feh! She's a stupid girl that knows nothing about what she has! She wears it around her neck like it's just some pretty trinket! She has no idea…! She has no use for it!"

"There are going to be many dangers now that it's resurfaced," the older woman said in a quiet voice. "Much evil will be after her to claim what you did not succeed in obtaining."

"Well, I could have spared her all that if she'd given me the damn thing!" he mumbled. "What do I care what happens to her? Whatever happens is her own fault!" 'All I care about is the jewel,' he added silently to himself.

He heard the deep sigh of resign and then the creak of the chair as she shifted in it.

"Do you know her name?"

InuYasha gave a rude snort but didn't say anything.

"InuYasha…"

"It's the name of a stupid kid's game. Kagome. OK!"

"Kagome, what?"

"How should I know? You expect me to remember something about a stupid girl of no importance to me?"

A silence fell between the two.

Hands curled into a fist, until he felt the sting of the self inflicted wounds from his claws. Gritting his teeth together, he pulled back his lips baring his fanged canines. "Higurashi." he snarled quietly between them.

Again the room fell into a brief hush.

After several moments, InuYasha's ears lowered to lay close to his head, his mood wasn't improving any staying here. He had other things to do, such as coming up with a plan to get that necklace from that girl and possibly getting rid of the 'collar' around his neck. That girl didn't know what she had, but it didn't matter. He wanted it. He needed it, and he was determined to get it. Period. All he cared about in life was to finally become a full fledged demon and he could stop this life of not belonging to either.

"I'm leaving," he said. "I can't stand the revolting smell of this place." And he went to the door. Just as his hand turned the knob to open it, the woman behind the desk called out to him.

"Where are you staying, InuYasha?"

"As if I'd tell you, Kaede!" and he went out the door without another word.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* END Of Part 6 *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

How's the story and my writing? Reviews?