InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Same Thing, Different Time ❯ The Power Of A Single Word ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own any part of InuYasha, and am still not seeking to gain anything in means of profit, rights, or anything else from creating this.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* -*-

Same Thing, Different Time

by: aishiteru_inu

Part 5: The Power of A Single Word.

"All I did was suggest that we sit…."

KA-THUMP!!

Once again, startled eyed and confused wonderment crossed Kagome's face all the while Inuyasha's was planted forcibly in the dirt. She watched as his body trembled slightly, fighting against whatever force was holding him down, and heard the low growling sound that he was obviously making. After several moments past, he was able to lift his head. This time his expression didn't have the confusion of embarrassment as it did of pure anger itself.

"What the hell…?!" he ground out forcibly, struggling again to get up, but whatever control was over him wasn't allowing him no matter how hard he tried.

It dawned on her. What was she still doing here? Now was the perfect opportunity to escape this… this…-- for lack of a better word --jerk! There wasn't much he could do stuck to the ground as he was, and she'd be able to have a good head start on him before he could get back up.

Whatever the cause of his face-in-the-dirt posture, she was going to take advantage of it.

"It's been fun, Inuyasha," she quipped lightly. "It's been more excitement than a girl should have for one day. I'm just going…." she took a couple of steps backwards, making a gesture with her thumb to point over her shoulder. "…to go now….."

"Wait," he called out, still grunting from his struggle. "The necklace…."

"This?" She held it up between the pinch of her thumb and finger. "This is mine, and you can't have it." And she promptly replace the piece of jewelry around her neck, despite the broken clasp, and tied the ends together instead.

She stood there for only a second or two, displaying the shiny bluish-pink orb against the green collar of her white school shirt, before she turned away and started to run across the grass. She sprinted quickly across the field, but it wasn't with the same terror filled pace that she had been in before.

"Wench!" He shouted at her retreating back, then grumbled to himself out loud, "When I get my hands on you….!"

» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .» .»

Kagome neared the end of commons expanse; she had stopped running just a short ways back. Several times had she spun around during her 'escape' to ensure that she wasn't being followed again. Each time she turned back around, her thoughts returned to the jumbled mess of questions and memories of the past hour. What, on God's green earth, was going on?!

Wasn't her life spinning crazily out of control as it was with all the strange mishaps and near accidents happening around her? And now not one but two guys had just tried to accost her. Surely the glistening gemstone necklace wasn't the cause of it all! It would have to be cursed or something! Yet, wasn't it the very item that the two had been after?

"Wait, wait, wait, wait," she said aloud, shaking her head and waving her arms in front of her as if to erase the thought. "That is such a ridiculous idea!"

"Talk to yourself much?"

Kagome gasped, jumping back with a half twist at the unexpected yet familiar male voice.

There he stood, leaning a shoulder against the trunk of the tree, arms crossed in front of his chest, and one leg bent and crossed over the other one that was straightly braced, with the toe of his shoe propping his foot up. It was the dog-guy that she had left a while back eating dirt! How did he manage to get here ahead of her?

Turning her head, she glanced in the direction she had came from. There was no way! No way! Then she turned her eyes back upon the face of the person that stood not far from her.

"Whatever you're thinking can't be anymore ridiculous than the way you look," he insulted her.

"H-how…."

"Stupid wench! I'm not letting you get away from me until I get that jewel…." He shoved away from the tree and took a step toward her, his golden eyes filled with determination of having only one purpose.

Kagome went to step back, but in her haste her foot struck something and, instead of being balanced upon the firm ground, she stumbled and found herself falling backwards until she landed with a jarring thud on her bottom.

She heard the low rumble of laughter, as InuYasha stopped his advance on her and stood there taking in the sight of her disheveled state of pose. Her arms were outstretched behind her, supporting the upper part of her body, and her legs were spread apart with knees bent slightly. Her skirt shifted upwards to display a bit more of her upper thigh, but at least it fell in a position that he couldn't see up it.

"You're not very graceful, are you?" he smirked, watching as her startled surprised turned to flustered embarrassment.

"I don't see what's so funny about it!" she remarked defensively over his laughter.

"Well, look at you," he made a jester with his open hand. "Look at the stupid looking outfit you have on, for one. And for another, you can't even walk without falling down! Let's not forget to mention that you're ugly and really stupid to be going around wearing that jewel around your neck like there's nothing in the world to harm you!"

"You're not a very nice person, you know!" she flung her own remark at him, recomposing her physical position to once again standing up. Her hands brushed at the dirt that hand gotten on her and even places there were none.

"So?" he said in a voice that wasn't the lest bit concerned of how she thought of him.

Kagome didn't raise her head. Only her eyes lifted up at him. He was just standing there, this time his arms just dangled along the sides of him. His feet were planted just apart from each other in a balanced stance. The bangs of his hair fell over his forehead almost to the point of it being in his eyes, but he didn't brush them away.

Her gaze went on up to the top of his head where his ears were. She thought that she had seen them move before, but doubted her perception at the moment. They couldn't really possibly be… and then she didn't have to doubt anymore because, to her amazement, she saw them twitch and move again.

Her gaze never left him as she finally raised her head, her lips slightly parted.

"What are you looking at?" InuYasha's frowned, brows narrowed.

"Your…ears," she murmured in awe. "They are real."

He gave a curt snort. "You just blow me away with your intelligence."

More and more, Kagome's fear gave way to indignation. How dare he? He didn't know her! He didn't know anything about her! And she wasn't stupid either! She made very good grades in school!

"Why are you so rude? And why do you want my necklace so badly?"

"The first is none of your business," he retorted sharply. "And as for the necklace, well… that's really none of your business either."

"Fine," she shot back, then took a step in the direction to leave.

"Don't think you're going anywhere." he said in a low voice, as he too took a step as she had. "Not until you hand over that….."

"What?" she cut him off with a bit of fury of her own, turning on him. "Necklace?"

Maybe she wasn't that smart after all, for in her own upset she marched right up to the silver hair ruffian, standing no more than a foot away from him. She had to tilt her head back to look him square in the face, and her hands rested meaningfully upon her hips.

"Listen here, this necklace is mine, not yours, and you're not taking it! It was a present given to me for my birthday! And if you think you're just going to take it from me, then you better think again!"

InuYasha just stared down at her with a sort of blank expression on his face for the moment.

"I am not in the mood for anymore of this!" She continued heatedly. "I've been chased, not by one but two thugs today! You being one of them! I've been threaten! I've fell, been knocked down, my necklace torn from my neck! I've got scrapes and bruises all over me! I've been laughed at and insulted! My uniform is messed up and on top of all that I've had a darn hard day at school!"

She took a moment to take a breath, her brown eyes flashing along with her temper.

"And if you think that I'm just going to hand this necklace over to a rude, obnoxious dog boy, you can just think again!"

She stepped past him, fuming in a huff as she continued to walk away from him. "And don't follow me anymore or I'll call the police to come get you again! Then you can sit in jail…."

KA-WHUMP!!

She barely heard the outburst of a yell before the crushing sound of a body being slammed upon the ground.

"…for…a…while…" she finished saying in a more hushed tone, drawing out each word, while turning her head around to see what had happened. When she saw InuYasha's form face down on the ground again, she halted her steps. She heard muffled curses, then a growl before finally his white head lifted up.

"How the hell…?!" he looked at her with glowering eyes.

Kagome just stood there with her mouth open, thinking the same thing that he dared to speak out loud.

She watched as, slowly, he managed to raise himself up to his knees, trying to think of all the times that this strange episode happened. The first time she remembered she suggested that they'd sit down to talk, well not really to talk as much as trying to buy time for herself, but all the same she had said the word 'sit'. The second time was shortly after he'd gotten up when he was blaming her for doing it to him, and in return she denied it admitting the only thing she had done was suggest they 'sit'. And now, this time, the third time. She was walking away telling him to leave her alone or she'd call the police and he could 'sit' in jail.

"Is that it?" she murmured softly to herself. "All I have to do is say 'sit'?"

Her words weren't loud, and they weren't meant to be heard by any other, but nonetheless the next instant she saw the white head being forcible slammed back down onto the ground, a startled yell ended nearly as soon as it started as it was cut off with the impact of his face meeting the ground.

Kagome couldn't help the flinch of her own body. "Ouch." she said quietly, raising her eyebrows.

"Will you cut that out!" His voice yelled once he was able to lift his face off of the ground again.

Perplexed at the outcome of this new knowledge, Kagome gingerly walked back to the fallen guy. He was once again struggling to right himself when she came to a halt in front of him, then squatted down upon her knees to look at him eye to eye. The disbelieving look on his face was almost hysterical.

She looked at him thoughtfully for a few seconds, then innocently said, "Sit."

She saw the necklace that was around it neck glow with a muted light just a split second before he was force into the dirt once more, a howl ripping from his throat.

So, that was it! Humph, she made a sound of amazed disbelief and got up. Again she could hear the muffled grumblings coming from him as she walked away from him.

"You…bitch!" he yelled as soon as his head came up, putting emphasis upon the last word.

"Sit."

THUD! She didn't stop walking even when she heard the impact, nor did she turn again to see what had happened. She already had a good idea.

She walked out of the park grounds and back onto the sidewalk which lead to her home a couple of blocks away.

Kagome had gone about a half a block, yet even at that distance she still was able to hear him cursing loudly. 'He really must be mad.'

"Sit." she said just a level louder than her normal voice, wondering if it would work this far. Her question was answered immediately upon hearing another ripping scream just seconds before being silenced.

The corners of her mouth twitched until they curled upward in an elated, twisted smile. Yeap, it worked alright.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* END Of Part 5 *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Appreciate reviews.