InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Savvy ❯ Chapter Twenty-Eight ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
A/N: I don't own Inuyasha. You're probably pissed about that last chapter, right? Sorreeee.... Sort of. Mostly, I'm not. I love angst, and it loves me right back! Oh, and I might have messed up some time zone stuff, but just... ignore it. Yeah.

*******

"The Undertaker [Reinholder Mix]" Puscifer (found on the Underworld Evolution Soundtrack)

"If You Go Away" Emiliana Torrini

*******

When Inuyasha let himself in the back door of Savvy, he went straight to Kagura's office, ignoring the hello's he got from several of the girls on their way in for work. "Did Kagome come down?" he asked as he stopped in the doorway.

Kagura turned with an arched brow, a pen tucked into her bun. "I haven't seen her yet."

"Fuck," Inuyasha snarled, not giving Kagura any explanation before he left, taking the stairs two at a time until he reached the second floor, where he found the door to Kagome's apartment standing open. She's not here.

Stepping inside, Inuyasha's eyes immediately fell on the single key that lay in the center of the kitchen table. Pulse spiking with fear, he looked around the apartment, taking inventory. She hadn't been gone long, and nothing seemed out of place. Her books were still lined on the shelves, and her throw pillow collection was still strewn across the couch.

Crossing the living room, he walked into the bedroom, and his heart sank as he saw the clothes hangers that lay haphazardly on the floor, along with a lone sock. Her dresser drawers were open, their contents no longer neatly folded, but in messy piles. She's gone. She's really gone.

But Kikyou's still here.

A feral growl reverberated through Inuyasha's chest as he stalked through Kagome's abandoned apartment, and he threw open the door to his own to find Kikyou sitting comfortably on his couch, watching television. "What the fuck did you do?" he demanded.

Kikyou's gaze slid slowly away from the television to look calmly upon him. "What are you talking about?"

"Like you don't know," he spat. "What did you say to her?"

"I only told her the truth; that you left to get me something to eat. Which I see you didn't bring."

"I was too busy trying to find Kaede."

Kikyou's eyes narrowed in anger, though her voice remained as aloof as ever. "Of course you were. Wouldn't want to upset your little girlfriend." She smiled menacingly. "Does she think those ears of yours are cute? Are you her widdle puppy?"

"Shut up," Inuyasha demanded.

"Or does she even know? Did you fuck her with a stupid bandana on like you did with me?"

"She knows exactly what I am," Inuyasha replied, his voice barely above a growl.

"Impressive. How long do you think it will last?" Kikyou asked curiously.

"Get out. Let Kaede find you downstairs." He chuckled mirthlessly. "Hell, I don't really care if she finds you at all. You don't deserve the family you've got."

Kikyou stood finally, glaring hotly at him. "You promised..."

"I promised I'd try, and you've made me pay for it every day since. Why should I try when you never have?" He sighed, the reality of Kagome's absence settling heavily upon him. "Just go, Kikyou."

"Where do you expect me to go?" she demanded, crossing her arms. "It's freezing outside!"

"Sit in the hallway for all I care, just get out of my fucking house!" Inuyasha roared, losing the hold he'd had on his temper. He wanted to find Kagome, and every second he wasted, the fainter her scent would be. If he was lucky, she'd be at Sango's, or perhaps with Rin, but he wasn't counting on that.

Watching Kikyou stomp out his door, she did just as he said, and sat in the hallway, glaring mulishly at him as he followed her out, locking his door, and also retrieving Kagome's key and locking her apartment as well. He didn't trust Kikyou alone with Kagome's things.

Returning downstairs, he found Kagura at the bar, already serving. "I guess you knew I was leaving?" he asked.

"Eric's on his way," Kagura replied. "Sango's here, and she hasn't heard a word from Kagome."

Inuyasha nodded. "I'll try Rin."

"Just find her."

"I will. Kaede's on her way, for Kikyou." Before Kagura could reply, Inuyasha was on his way towards the door.

(*)(*)(*)

Getting out of the taxi, Kagome paid the driver before turning to look at her chosen hotel. She'd already booked plane tickets after calling her mother, but her flight to Tokyo wasn't until six a.m.

Kilala stayed hidden as Kagome checked into her room under a false name, and paid with cash. She knew it wouldn't help if Inuyasha managed to pick up her scent, but she wasn't sure he'd even come looking for her.

She felt numb. After leaving Savvy, she'd walked several blocks before hailing a cab, and had gone to her bank after that to clear out her account. After that, she'd turned her phone on long enough to call her mother and the airport, but the power had been turned off shortly after. If Inuyasha called her, Kagome knew he would weaken her resolve.

Maybe you should let him, a voice spoke up in her mind. I mean, what proof do you have that he and Kikyou actually did anything?

Her wearing his clothes was enough,
she answered herself as she used the electronic entry card to let herself into the room that would be hers for the next ten hours. She knew she could have waited at the airport, but she wanted to be alone.

"You can come out now, Kilala," Kagome told her companion, who quickly hopped out of the messenger bag to meow at her mistress in a confused tone. "I know, it's not home. But soon, you'll get to meet my family. Won't that be nice?"

Kilala only meowed again, blinking slowly as her eyes regarded the sparse hotel room. She knew her mistress was very upset, and had caught the scent of another woman across the hall earlier, when they'd still been at home. A very foul smelling woman. Had the hanyou taken another? It didn't seem likely, but until she knew more, Kilala knew there was nothing she could do. She did not want to seek Inuyasha out if Kagome truly had a reason to leave him behind, and she also knew better than to leave her charge unprotected. She was always getting into trouble. Without Inuyasha around, Kilala knew she would have to keep her guard up.

Kilala watched as Kagome opened her suitcase on the bed, retrieving the ringing device and pressing its buttons. Immediately, it rang, but Kagome quickly stopped the sound, her lip trembling. Feeling helpless, Kilala trotted across the springy mattress to rub her hip across Kagome's arm. "Mew?"

Kagome laughed softly even as tears spilled over face. "Thanks, Kilala."

(*)(*)(*)

"She denied my call," Rin told Inuyasha, closing her cell as the two stood on the large cement porch of Sesshoumaru's estate.

Inuyasha sighed. "I guess she really doesn't want me to find her."

Rin hated the helpless expression on Inuyasha's face; it didn't belong there. "Look, if she left all her stuff, maybe she just wanted to get away for the night."

"Like a hotel, maybe?" Inuyasha asked, his voice tinged with a trace of hope.

"Yeah, maybe. I mean, it's worth a shot."

"Yeah, except there's probably about ten thousand hotels in New York," he said with a pout.

"Well, why don't you try Harlem first? After that, you can spread out. She might answer her phone if you keep calling."

"Unless she turns it off again." Heaving another heavy sigh, Inuyasha stepped off the porch, not bothering to tell Rin goodbye as he walked back toward the street. Trying Kagome's phone again, he made a face as his call was denied, sending him to voice mail. He hated leaving messages, but it was his only hope.

"Kagome, it's me... I don't know what happened, or what Kikyou said to you, but please call me." Hanging up, Inuyasha left Sesshoumaru's.

Watching Inuyasha leave, Rin wrapped her arms around herself, shivering in the winter air. After a moment, she grimaced, flipping her phone open again to dial her husband. Inuyasha could yell at her for it later.

"Yes, Rin?" Sesshoumaru answered.

"Hey. Do you think you could call Lucas?"

"With reason, yes."

"I've got a reason. I want him to find Kagome."

There was a short silence in which Rin could nearly hear Sesshoumaru's inward sigh. "What's my brother done this time?"

"Nothing, really. It's a long story. Just tell him to find her, and watch her. Oh, and report in. All that stuff."

"He's not FBI, Rin. But I'll call."

"Thank you, baby. Kisses?"

"Hn."

(*)(*)(*)

It was three in the morning before Inuyasha forced himself to accept the fact that he wasn't going to find Kagome. Sango had called to tell him that she'd had no luck reaching Kagome, either, and had also asked him to come by before going home. Kaede had called as well, to inform him that Kikyou was now with their parents, and to apologize for any trouble he'd had with her. Keh. If she had any idea.

Though Inuyasha was trying to ignore it, he was becoming angry. He could understand Kagome leaving; Kikyou could get to anyone, and Kagome was an easy target for her venom. What was making him angry was that she wouldn't even give him a chance to explain himself. He'd told her everything; had laid his heart out for her. Didn't that mean anything to her? What gave her the right to just assume the worst about him? Had she believed none of it?

Sprinting over the rooftops, Inuyasha changed directions for Miroku and Sango's apartment. He didn't feel like company, but he knew Sango was worried just as much for him as she was for Kagome. He also wasn't looking forward to facing his empty apartment, knowing Kagome was no longer across the hall. Her fading scent would only serve to depress him further.

Leaping down into the parking lot of the apartment complex, he saw Sango and Miroku had yet to come home, and he leaned restlessly against the outside wall until the familiar Honda pulled into the lot.

"Inuyasha?" Sango called as she stepped out of the car. "Have you heard anything?"

Inuyasha shook his head reluctantly. "Still no answer."

Sango's face fell with disappointment as Miroku stepped up behind her, resting his hands on her shoulders to comfort her. "I thought she would have called me."

"Maybe she thought you would tell Inuyasha where she was," Miroku offered, but Sango only shrugged before looking back to Inuyasha.

"Do you want to come up for awhile?" she asked.

Inuyasha knew he was better off at Sango and Miroku's than at home, but he didn't feel up to the company. "No. I think I'll look some more."

"Inuyasha, you should go to bed sometime."

"I will," he promised. "Just another hour or two."

"Is there anywhere you haven't looked?" Miroku asked.

"A few areas, but not many."

Miroku nodded. "Just make sure you do get some sleep."

"Yeah."

Walking slowly away from the couple, Inuyasha gazed up to the skyline, wondering where Kagome could be, and worrying. She barely knew New York, other than their own neighborhood. To think she was out there, alone...

Inuyasha growled, taking to the rooftops again as his determination returned.

(*)(*)(*)

Rin was sleeping deeply against Sesshoumaru that morning when the sharp trill of his cell phone cut through the air, waking both of them. She watched as her husband, the mighty taiyoukai of New England pouted like a three year old child before answering it. "Yes?" Rin waited expectantly for him to say more. "Fine. Goodbye."

Hanging up, Sesshoumaru handed the phone to Rin. "He found her at the airport. JFK. Her flight is in twenty minutes."

Rin's eyes widened with alarm. "Flight?"

"To Tokyo."

"Shit." Completely awake, Rin hopped out of bed, slipping on her toe socks before leaving the bedroom to call Inuyasha.

"Hello?"

"Hey," Rin greeted him. "Where are you?"

"On my way home," he replied tiredly. "Why, did Kagome call you?"

"No... Inuyasha, she's at JFK."

A moment of silence followed Rin's statement. "The... airport? Wait... did you have her followed?"

Rin winced. "Well, not followed, exactly. He just found her, so he didn't really have a chance to follow her. But at least now you know where she is, right?"

But Inuyasha had already hung up.

(*)(*)(*)

Kagome stared out the small window next to her seat on the plane. Kilala was stored in the back, and Kagome felt horrible for it. They'd be home soon, however, and she hoped once she was back with her mother, she wouldn't feel so hollow. Things had been simpler in Tokyo, excluding Kouga, but he was out of her life now.

She knew Inuyasha had called many times, and knew he was probably worried, and wanted her to return. She wasn't confused about Inuyasha's feelings, but Kagome refused to share him with Kikyou. She knew it would be better to let go of him now than to hurt more in the end, because Kikyou would never go away; would never allow Inuyasha to forget her. I can't live with him, knowing I can never have all of him. It's not fair to either of us, so this is the right thing to do, she told herself. Still, it hurt so badly, and she felt herself inhale sharply as the ground began to roll away beneath the plane. She was really leaving.

Choking back a bitter sob, Kagome forced her eyes away from the window, and took a deep breath.

(*)(*)(*)

Inuyasha caught the eyes of several people in the airport as he sprinted through as fast as he allowed himself in front of so many humans.

At the counter, Inuyasha waited impatiently behind an older man, and his growl quickly sent the man trotting away, glaring fearfully behind him at the angry hanyou.

"May I help you?" the woman behind the counter asked coldly.

"The flight to Tokyo. Has it left yet?"

Gaze flickering to the screen before her, the woman nodded. "Over five minutes ago, sir."

"Fuck. When's the next one?"

Giving him a rather rude look, the woman typed a moment before replying. "Not until tonight, at 7:20."

"Book me," Inuyasha told her, his mind made up, even as his heart fell. Kagome had really left him, without giving him a single chance to explain himself. He knew she'd been through a lot since they'd met, but didn't he deserve at least a chance?

You have no idea what Kikyou could have said to her, he reminded himself. Still, it didn't seem fair. Maybe he wouldn't be able to convince her that he'd done nothing wrong.

He wouldn't leave, however, until she at least listened to him.

(*)(*)(*)

Kagome felt like an alien as she walked through Narita National Airport, with Kilala safely in tow once more. She hoped her family had arrived; her mother had told her they would be outside, and she didn't feel like riding the bus home alone. The flight had been tiring, with nothing for her to do but fear she'd made a mistake in leaving New York, and all she wanted to do was go home, eat a large amount of oden, and take a warm bath before going to sleep. The strangest part was that it was still morning, and she knew her jetlag was going to take awhile to get over.

Stepping out into the sunshine, Kagome squinted, and looked around as she heard her name immediately called out.

"Kagome! Over here!"

Turning, Kagome smiled as she saw her younger brother, Souta, running toward her. "Souta!" she cried, running to embrace him, and smiling at how much taller he was than her.

"What's that?" he asked as they pulled away from one another.

Following Souta's gaze, Kagome's eyes brightened. "Oh. This is Kilala," she explained. "Kilala, this is Souta."

Souta gave Kagome a wary look. "Buyo's not going to be happy," he said, eyeing the cat that peered from Kagome's bag.

"Only because he'll have to share his food."

"Kagome!"

Looking past Souta, Kagome saw her mother and grandfather approaching, and tears filled her eyes. She'd missed them all so much.

"Mama!"

Kagome fell into her mother's arms, squeezing her tightly before pulling away to hug her grandfather as well.

"I see you've finally come to your senses, girl," he told her, patting her lightly on the back.

Kagome smiled sadly.

Had she?

(*)(*)(*)

After turning out the lights in her bedroom, Kagome sighed as she crawled under the covers.

She wasn't tired.

She'd been sleepy most of the day, but had forced herself to stay awake, not wanting to miss a moment of being reunited with her family. She'd followed her grandfather around the shrine as he worked, and had helped her mother prepare dinner. She'd also introduced Buyo to Kilala, and while it hadn't gone great, she was sure Buyo would stop nursing the tiny scratch on his nose eventually. He'd deserved the rebuke after trying to snatch Kilala's fish.

She'd even played a few video games with Souta, something he hadn't been able to ever convince her to do before, and it had been fun. Anything to keep her mind off Inuyasha. She hadn't turned her cell phone on all day.

Sitting up, Kagome looked out her window to the shrine grounds, and a faint smile touched her lips when her eyes fell upon Goshinboku. The pride of the Higurashi Shrine.

Her father had proposed to her mother under the boughs of Goshinboku. All their family pictures had been taken near the tree. When she'd been eight, and her father had died, Kagome had spent many night crying under its branches. It had been where her first kiss had taken place. So many memories...

Going downstairs, Kagome slipped on her shoes and coat before walking out into the crisp night air. After crossing the shrine grounds, she stopped to gaze up at the slightly swaying branches of the tree before settling herself on the nearly frozen ground, her back resting against the rough bark of the tree.

She missed him.

Kagome knew that she had no choice; she would have to get over Inuyasha. The problem was, she didn't know where to start. She'd hadn't even known him for six months, and yet he'd become almost everything to her.

She wanted badly to call him, to hear his voice, but she knew that would be her undoing. One word from him, and she'd be on the next plane back to New York. She wondered what he was doing, and if he was upset with her, or angry. She wondered what had happened between him and Kikyou once she'd taken off. Had he gotten angry with Kikyou? Probably not, she thought as tears came to her eyes. She probably lied about all of it.

"I thought I might find you out here."

Kagome jumped, startled, and looked up to see her mother, bundled up in her own winter coat, with a blanket laying over her arms. "Mama?"

Mrs. Higurashi smiled softly down at her daughter. "It's too cold for you to be out here, you know."

Kagome smiled sadly. "Is that what the blanket's for?"

Kagome's mother didn't answer, but settled down next to the girl, and Kagome sat up to allow Mrs. Higurashi to wrap the blanket around them both. "There, that's better."

"Definitely."

"So, are you going to tell me why you so suddenly decided to come home, or do I have to guess?"

Kagome wiped away a tear as it fell from her eye. "It's a long story, Mama."

"Well, I assume it's about a boy," Mrs. Higurashi began. "Perhaps a boy you were very excited about not too long ago?"

At that, Kagome lost control of her tears, nodding as she began to cry.

(*)(*)(*)

After his flight, Inuyasha decided to check straight into a hotel to nurse the throbbing headache flying always caused him. He wanted to start looking for Kagome right away, but he'd only be wasting time until his head cleared.

It was strange to be back in his native land. So much had changed since he'd last seen it, and as interesting as it was, he knew he didn't have time to go sight-seeing. As soon as he got some rest, he would start tracking Kagome down.

Flopping himself onto the full-sized bed, Inuyasha stared out the window at the clear, winter sky, wondering what Kagome was doing. He missed the feel of her against his side, the soft sound of her breathing, and knew it would be a long time before he'd be able to fall asleep. He had all day tomorrow, though, and he knew it would be an easy task to find her. All he had to do was locate Higurashi Shrine, and that was a name he remembered from when he himself had lived in Tokyo.

If she'll even speak to me, Inuyasha thought, sighing heavily in the dark. Kagome... Please don't hate me.

(*)(*)(*)

Kagome and her mother didn't return to the house until nearly midnight, and she wasn't able to fall asleep for hours after that. At nine a.m., however, her mother woke her to say Yuka was on the phone.

"Hello?" Kagome said groggily as she took the cordless from her mother.

"Kagome! Why didn't you tell me you were coming back?"

"I just go in yesterday."

"That's great. I called your mom to see if she could find you. I tried your cell, but--"

"Yeah," Kagome interrupted with a nervous laugh, not wanting to explain why her phone had been shut off. "But I'm home now."

"Perfect timing, too! I'm getting married!"

"O-Oh. Really?"

"Yeah! Eri and Ayumi are going shopping with me today. We'll swing by and pick you up, too, okay?"

"I don't know, Yuka, I really don't--"

"We'll be by in about an hour. Be ready!"

Before Kagome could argue, Yuka was already gone.

Feeling incredibly sorry for herself, Kagome pressed the button to end the call, and dragged herself out of bed. The last thing she felt like doing was going shopping for a wedding. She thought she'd cried all the tears she had the night before, while talking to her mother, but just thinking about facing the day, Kagome felt like crying all over again.

Life was going on, oblivious to all her pain. One of her best childhood friends was getting married, and Kagome knew she should feel happiness for Yuka, but she only felt bitter. Why couldn't she ever get the happy ending?

Stop feeling sorry for yourself, she scolded herself angrily as she went through her suitcase to find an outfit to wear. The world has never revolved around you, and it's not about to start now. You're going to act happy for Yuka, no matter how much it hurts. She deserves that much.

It was a truth Kagome couldn't deny. Maybe she would feel better after a day out with her friends. It had been a long time since she'd seen them...

Is one day with them going to make you forget Inuyasha? Even for a minute?

Kagome's lip trembled dangerously, and she bit down on it.

No. I doubt anything will make me forget. I don't want to forget, anyway.

I just wish it wasn't so hard...

(*)(*)(*)

After checking the phone directory and finding the address to Kagome's home, Inuyasha saw that it was only a fifteen minute walk from his hotel, and cursed his own stupidity. Still, he was grateful for the fact that he would face Kagome with a clear head.

Making his way up the nearly endless stairs, Inuyasha looked over the shrine grounds appreciatively. So, this is where Kagome grew up.

It was a beautiful place, nestled comfortably above the constant noise below. He spotted a modest looking house at the back of the grounds, and Inuyasha filled his nose with Kagome's scent as he walked towards it, though he quickly realized that Kagome wasn't near. She's been here, though, he assured himself. And she'll be back. I'll just ask where she went.

Approaching the door, Inuyasha knocked, and heard movement from the other side before it opened, revealing an attractive woman, who looked very young to be Kagome's mother. "Hello," she greeted him kindly as she looked him over. "Can I help you?"

"Uh... yeah. I was looking for Kagome."

Inuyasha knew things were going to go badly when he watched Mrs. Higurashi's smile fade quickly. "Oh. Would you happen to be Inuyasha?"

"Yeah. I just..." Inuyasha had no idea what to say to Kagome's mother. It was obvious Kagome had told her something by the disapproving look in the woman's eyes. "I just wanted to talk to her," he managed.

"You came halfway across the world just to speak with Kagome?"

"Well... Yeah."

Mrs. Higurashi sighed, the hard look in her eyes lessening a bit. "She's not here; she went out with her friends for the day."

"Oh. Do you know when she'll be back?"

"I'm not sure, but I do know that she doesn't want to see you. She's very upset. I'm sure I don't know the whole story, but judging by what Kagome's told me, I think you've hurt her enough, don't you?"

Inuyasha's brow furrowed deeply as he regarded Kagome's mother, and he felt suddenly defensive. "What the hell's that supposed to mean?"

Looking at the young man, Amaya felt a pang of sympathy for him. She could tell by looking into his strangely colored eyes that he cared for Kagome very much, and that he was just as upset as she was. "Inuyasha," she said, "I understand that you want to see Kagome, but I don't believe she's ready to see you. Why don't you give her some time, and see if she decides to call you?"

"I need to talk to her," he replied. "She won't listen to me at all, and..." He felt stupid suddenly for confiding in Kagome's mother, and shut his mouth abruptly.

Amaya held back a smile. The boy was obviously very emotional, and it seemed that what might be happening between him and Kagome was a very large misunderstanding. Still, it was her job to protect her daughter. She had only just met Inuyasha, and while Kagome had talked excitedly about him for nearly an hour when they had started dating, he was still the young man who'd broken her heart. "I'll tell her you were here, Inuyasha."

"Fine," he snapped, turning and walking away from the house as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans, feeling like a scolded child. What exactly had Kagome said about him? While Mrs. Higurashi had seemed like a nice enough woman, she'd made it quite clear that he wasn't welcome.

He hadn't done anything wrong, and if Kagome would just answer her phone, he could explain that to her. Instead, she'd gone running back home, halfway across the world to hide from him.

Just like she'd done with Kouga.

The parallel between the two situations caused a growl to well up in Inuyasha's throat. He was nothing like Kouga, and there was no reason for Kagome to run from him. Why hadn't she asked him why Kikyou was there? Hell, why hadn't she just kicked Kikyou out, and waited for him to come home? It was nonsense, plain and simple. He knew he'd hurt her before, and that Kikyou would always be the one person to make Kagome doubt herself, but he thought they'd gotten past that. They'd been together, and happy, and it had taken absolutely nothing for Kagome to throw it all away without question...

Blinking away the tears in his eyes, Inuyasha found his cell phone, and removed it from his pocket.

He called to book his flight home.