InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ Rites of Passage ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

SF: Oh, um…I posted this chapter early Friday afternoon, then noticed at least three things wrong with it. Sorry about the mistakes.

I just want to say thanks to all of the great reviews I've received for chapter four. It really surprised me that a lot of people have been touched by this in some way or another and could feel what I had to say. OK, sappiness over. On with the fic!

Second Chance

Chapter Five: Rites of Passage

Sesshoumaru stood in the middle of his dreamscape, smiling down at himself as he did every night. It was here and only here he could be his true self, the powerful youkai that struck fear in the hearts of humans and other youkai alike before the accursed miko.

Sesshoumaru sat on the edge of an old well, his silver hair lifting in the breeze. A scent came to him on the breeze, and he grimaced in spite of himself.

"Good day Sesshoumaru," Kikyou said as she sat beside him. "Or should I say good night."

"Say what you will, for I don't wish to hear it."

"Oooo," she teased, covering her mouth with her hand. "Harsh. Can't you find it in yourself to be nice to me for once."

"No, I can't. But you may leave whenever you wish."

Kikyou laughed, a sound abusive to Sesshoumaru's sensitive ears. "You really hate me, don't you?"

Sesshoumaru turned away from her, watching as the sun rose in the dream horizon. "You have taken everything from me and forced me to wander. Must you really ask that question?"

Kikyou sighed, leaning back against the well. "I didn't intend on it happening. You do know that, right?"

"What I know is not important."

Kikyou shook her head. "Of course. Just that it did and now you're supposedly sufferin-"

Sesshoumaru wrapped his hand around her throat in an instant, lifting her effortlessly from the forest floor. "You dare say that this Sesshoumaru is a liar?"

"Not a liar, but maybe overreacting a little." Sesshoumaru growled, his fingers tightening around her neck. Kikyou grimaced, then smirked down at him. "You can't kill me taiyoukai. I've been dead for how long now?" Sesshoumaru growled again, but graciously dropped her. "Ow! Prick!"

"Such language miko," Sesshoumaru smirked, launching himself into a nearby tree. "Where did you learn that by the way?"

Kikyou stood up, rubbing her abused bottom as she stared up at him. "From you. I know everything you do."

"I see."

Kikyou scowled, then shrugged. "What makes you think my curse is such a bad thing in the first place?"

"It is a curse," Sesshoumaru grumbled. "It's very design is to be an inconvenience, at the least."

"And that's all it has been," Kikyou argued. "An inconvenience. I don't see the problem. You still have your gi in your human form, any injuries go away after the full moon, and you still get to keep your lifespan. You may not enjoy your status in life, but it has brought some very interesting people."

"Such as?"

"The children you've protected," Kikyou huffed, her arms crossed over her chest. "On that note, have you met anyone new?"

"Yes, I have." The sky above them changed, reflecting an image of Kagome's face the day he woke up in the vet's office.

"She's pretty," Kikyou mused. "And have you noticed how familiar she looks?"

"I have. It makes no difference."

"Really?" Kikyou stepped closer to the tree, staring up at him. "Are you sure? She could be a reincarnate."

"I doubt it. She smells nothing like you, and her eyes are different. Her aura is different too."

Kikyou quirked a knowing brow, then turned back to the sky. "Of course Sesshoumaru-sama. What does she smell like?"

"Jasmine and vanilla orchids," Sesshoumaru answered quickly. Kikyou smiled at the wistfulness in his tone.

"But she's not a child."

Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes. "I noticed."

"So she could break the spell."

"I doubt that."

"Fine, be a stick in the mud." Kikyou glanced into the distance, seeming to watch something before looking back to Sesshoumaru. "It's almost time for me to go."

"Thank Kami-sama."

"But I just want to tell you that I'm proud of you. In some sort of way, you've pushed aside your contempt for humankind and managed to spare some part of your heart." Kikyou shook her head at this. "Even if the rest of it is still a block of ice."

"Keep your insults to yourself," Sesshoumaru commanded as he dropped to his feet in front of her. "And I do not need your approval."

"You never have. However, if you would have thought about my feelings 5 centuries ago, you wouldn't be in this me-"

Sesshoumaru sank his claws deep into her throat, ripping her head from her body before she could finish.

*

Sesshoumaru sat up with a start, listening as mumbling came from the bathroom. 'What on earth is that twit doing?' he wondered to himself as he stood up and walked toward the noise. Kagome stood before the mirror, dressed in a pair of wide legged blue jeans and a navy blue bra.

"Good morning Chance!" she chirped as she fished inside a little crystal bowl for a hair tie. "How are you?"

'I would be better if I didn't wake up to you stumbling around like the village drunk,' Sesshoumaru scolded, sitting in the threshold irritably. Kagome shrugged. "I can't get a good morning bark?"

Sesshoumaru looked away, watching a squirrel climb the tree near the window as he ignored her. Kagome shook her head. "So be it then." She grabbed a white sweater hoodie out of the closet and pulled it over her head as the doorbell rang.

"Oh crap!" she groaned from under the shirt. "Hey Chance, go see if that's Souta. He's supposed to be here by now."

Sesshoumaru hesitated, then figured to do as she asked before she attempted to. He padded down the steps, then jumped onto the back of the couch to peer out the window. Sesshoumaru growled instantly, finding Naraku at the door instead of Souta.

Naraku stepped back and looked up at the second story windows, then shrugged and taped a slip of paper to the door. Souta came up the walkway just as Naraku turned away from the door. Naraku smiled good naturedly, earning a frown of disapproval as Naraku walked away.

'Good boy. His instincts are better than I thought.'

Sesshoumaru barked in greeting, to which Souta waved and held up a fast food bag. "For you buddy," he called. Sesshoumaru cocked his head to the side, trying to get a better glimpse of the bag as Kagome thundered down the steps.

"Thanks so much Chance," she said as she peered out the peephole and opened the door. The paper fell into the house as Souta walked in.

"I found Mr. Obsessive at your door this morning," Souta grumbled, purposely passing the bag by Sesshoumaru's nose. Sesshoumaru sniffed eagerly, instantly recognizing the scent of warm bread and sausage. 'I knew there was a reason to like him.'

"Well, he's not here now. What's this?" Kagome picked up the piece of paper and groaned. "Oh that's just great."

"What is it?"

"It's a neighborhood watch meeting for tonight," Kagome grumbled. "It's right after I get off from work."

"Don't go then," Souta said as he and Sesshoumaru moved toward the kitchen. Kagome sat down on the arm of the couch and put on her tennis shoes. "I have to. It's mandatory. Aw man."

"Why are you dressed like that?" Souta asked, glancing at Sesshoumaru out the corner of his eye as he plunked the bag onto the counter.

"I'm taking a kid go-carting. Don't give Chance any of that!"

"Why not?" Souta asked. "Will it hurt him?"

"No, but I don't want him used to fast food."

"He'll be fine," Souta reasoned as he dumped an entire sausage biscuit into Sesshoumaru's bowl. "You'd better eat it before the wicked witch of the east comes in."

Sesshoumaru obliged as Kagome shouted her disapproval from the living room. "I don't care. Don't give it to him."

"Yes nee-chan," Souta replied, winking at Sesshoumaru as he finished the rest of the sausage biscuit. "I won't."

'Another point for the boy,' Sesshoumaru mused as Kagome came into the kitchen. She looked at him, then at Souta before shaking her head. "What am I going to do with you two?"

"I wasn't aware of you needing to do anything with us," Souta replied, with Sesshoumaru barking in agreement. Kagome scowled playfully. "Oh, you'll talk to him but you won't talk to me. I'm heart-broken."

"You're going to be late," Souta interjected as he and Sesshoumaru nudged Kagome toward the door. Kagome scooped up her briefcase as they pushed her down the sidewalk to her car. "Alright, alright. I get the point. I'm going. You two behave yourselves."

"You too Kagome," Souta called as she pulled away. "Now," he said to Sesshoumaru. "How about you and I polish off the rest of those sausage biscuits?"

*

Kagome watched as Shippou scampered ahead of her, pure excitement on his face as they entered the fun park.

"This is going to be so much fun!" Shippou chanted. Kagome nodded in agreement, then sprinted after Shippou as he ran toward the go-cart track. "Come on Kagome! I don't want to miss the race!"

Kagome finally caught up with him as Shippou and an employee were arguing. "But I want to drive!"

"You're only 7 kid," the employee reasoned. "If I let you drive, I could get fired."

"Kagome! He won't let me drive!"

"I heard," Kagome patted Shippou's head, then turned to the employee. "Is there no way he can join the race?"

"He has to be in a car with someone older than 15. I guess you two are stuck."


"Stuck?" Kagome replied. "Oh, I get it. Here," she passed him her driver's license. "Will this make it better?"

"Wow," he gushed, passing Kagome back her ID. "You don't look 21. I'm 19."

"Good for you, now can we get on?" Shippou interrupted. The employee nodded, unfastening the red rope and motioning them toward the cars.

"Ok Shippou, which one do you want?"

Shippou glanced from car to car, his gaze stopping on a blue two-seater in the front of the line. "That one!"

"Alright then." Shippou and Kagome sat inside the go-cart just as a dark-hared teenager sat in the red one-seater beside them.

"Hey kid!" he taunted as Kagome strapped Shippou in. "Tell your girlfriend not to choke on my dust when I pass her."

"Forget it buddy!" Shippou called. "You're the one that'll be eating dust, because she's the best driver ever!"

"Yeah right…"

"You'll see!" Shippou turned to Kagome, his confidence quickly giving way to nervousness. "Hey, um, you do know how to drive one of these right?"

"Yup," Kagome nodded as the employee checked hers and Shippou's restraints. "It's just like driving a car."

"But Kagome-"

"Trust me," Kagome said with a wink. Shippou paused, then nodded as the teenager taunted them again. "Don't worry kid. I might give your pretty girlfriend the prize, if she's willing to give me something in return."

Shippou opened his mouth to reply when Kagome shook her head. "Nope. Don't give him the satisfaction." Shippou sighed but relented. The employee stood in front of them, pointing to a traffic light above them.

"This is the start signal. When it turns green, go!" He stepped out of the way quickly, flickering on the traffic light. Kagome gripped the wheel when it turned red, her tiny fingers wrapping around it as her face set in determination. Her right foot rested on the gas pedal when the start signal turned yellow.

"You might want to hold on to something," she told Shippou. He grasped his wheel at the last moment, the green light coming to life seconds later. Kagome stomped on the gas and peeled off, leaving the other drivers in the dust.

"Woo-hoo!" Shippou hooted, cheering wildly as Kagome sped around the track. He looked back at the others, Kagome's hair fluttering in the wind and framing his vision.

"This is great!" Shippou called as the teenager tried to catch up to them. Kagome slowed until she was beside him. "Now you can say something."

Shippou grinned before turning to him, laughing at the other driver's distress. "Who's eating dust now, jerk!" Shippou laughed as Kagome sped up, leaving the driver once again. He and Kagome won the race after a few more laps, and the prize for the day was a giant panda bear.

"Here you go Shippou," Kagome said as she gave him the plushie.

"Really?"

"Really. Now let's take it to the car."

Kagome leaned against the side of the car, looking out for anyone suspicious as Shippou tossed the panda in the back seat. "Shippou?"

"Yeah Kagome?"

"Can I ask you a couple of questions?" Kagome smiled reassuringly at his frown. "You don't have to answer them if you don't want to."

Shippou thought a moment, then shrugged. "Alright," he grumbled, plunking into the passenger seat. Kagome sat in the driver's seat beside him, but didn't start the car. She merely glanced around them, taking a moment to form her questions in a way that wouldn't alarm him.

"How long have you lived with your grandmother?"

"A couple of months."

"Really?" Kagome nodded. "Is she nice?"

"Yeah."

'OK then. One Word Joe is back in action.' "What does your mother do?"

This question seemed to surprise Shippou. "A-a botanist."

"Wow, seriously? That's pretty cool."

"Yeah, I guess so."

Kagome draped her leg out the open door, enjoying the breeze as she watched Shippou out of the corner of her eye. He was fidgeting terribly, his hands fluttering to tug his collar when they weren't messing with the buttons on the arm rest. Kagome mentally sighed. 'He's not ready to talk about her yet. I guess I'll just have to hold off on it then.' "What about you? What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Shippou blinked in surprise. "I-I want to be a marine biologist."

"Wow. That sounds like fun." Kagome leaned back against the seat. She noticed the spark of interest in Shippou's eyes when he talked about the career. "Where would you like to work?"

"Sea World!" Shippou cheered. "That would be so cool! You get to see all kinds of fish, and feed the sharks and all kind of cool stuff!"

"Me myself, I've always wanted to swim with the dolphins."

"Not me," Shippou replied with a shake of his head. "I want to swim with the sharks."

Kagome groaned. "That's just like a boy to want to swim with something that might want to eat him."

Shippou grinned. "And it's just like a girl to want to swim with dumb dolphins."

"Hey!" Kagome protested. "I like dolphins! What's so bad about that?"

"Nothing. I'm just saying," Shippou snickered. Kagome playfully elbowed him in the ribs, to which he laughed and smacked her away. "Can I ask you a question Kagome?"

"Sure."

"Um," Shippou's smile faced. "Why didn't you ask me anything else about my mother?"

Kagome sighed. She should have known that Shippou would see through her. "I don't think you're ready to talk about her just yet. I'm not going to force you to."

"That's good, because I don't want to talk about it."

Kagome sighed, then started the car. "I know, but someday you'll have to. Understand?"

Shippou nodded miserably. Kagome nudged him before she pulled off. "Now for one last question before I take you home."

"What?"

"What kind of Happy Meal do you want?"

*

Kagome waited until Sango was safely in the house, waving back when Sango called from her living room window before pulling out of the parking lot and speeding down the road. 'I'm going to be late!' She glanced at the dashboard clock and groaned. 'It's 6:30! I'm already late!'

Kagome continued down the road, barely avoiding various traffic accidents waiting to happen. She finally made it to her cul de sac thirty minutes later, parking her car in her driveway before jogging up the hill, past the 8 other condos and Naraku's condo to the clubhouse at the beginning of the cul de sac.

Kagome entered the building quietly, standing in the back of the room. The other residents were seated in chairs in front of her, with Naraku and Charles; the rent manager; at the very front of the room.

"The one final note of the meeting," Charles stated as Naraku handed a stack of flyers to be passed around. "There have been a lot of residents that have adopted dogs during the past couple of months. While this is a friendly community and the new additions are welcome, they may not roam the premises without a leash and their owner."

Naraku nodded in agreement, his eyes settling on Kagome before glancing at the crowd ahead of him. "Any dog found without it's owner will automatically be taken to the pound, and the owner will be charged a $200 fine."

The crowd mumbled incredulously before Charles raised his hand. "But of course we won't have to worry about that, seeing that everyone here is a responsible neighbor. That's all for this month's meeting. Please see Cathy in number 200 about the Christmas pot luck supper."

The crowd dispersed, a few women grumbling about the fine. "I bet that Naraku has something to do with that," one woman grumbled as she and another woman walked past Kagome. The other woman agreed with a huff. "I wonder what would Charles say if he found out that the exploding dog population was due to Naraku in the first place."

Kagome inwardly snickered, remembering having the exact conversation with Sango before she adopted Chance. Kagome turned to walk out when she heard someone call her name.

"Kagome!"

Kagome glanced over her shoulder, then wished she'd have kept walking when Naraku flagged her down. She waited patiently for him to catch up with her, noticing the pitying looks from her female neighbors as he took her hand in his and kissed her knuckles.

"You were late. I thought you weren't going to show."

Kagome blushed, searching for a gentle way to get him to release her. "I'm sorry about that. I was reviewing a case and-"

Naraku waved her explanation aside. "There's no need to apologize. I'm just glad you showed."

Kagome smiled. "Thanks. Um, I really have to go."

"Oh yeah. Right," Naraku replied. "I just wanted to give you this." He held out a pamphlet on dog nutrition. Kagome took it, flipping through it a moment before thanking him.

"It was my pleasure. It says that a fast food diet isn't good for dogs, and I just thought you might want to consider that before allowing any in the house. It might be too much temptation for, Chance is it?"

"Yeah."

"Then it might be too much temptation for him."

Kagome's eyes widened considerably. "This is so thoughtful. Thanks again Mr. Naraku"

"No problem Kagome. It's my pleasure." Naraku watched as she walked off, waving when she turned around. Charles stood beside him as she disappeared down the hill to her house, a fatherly smile on his face.

"She's nice, don't you think?"

Naraku nodded in agreement. "She is. But she has bad taste in dogs."

"Well, there's nothing we can do about that Onigumo. I've heard about the giant. He seems gentle."

'Perhaps,' Naraku considered as Charles patted his shoulder and walked away. 'But that mutt is in my way.' He shrugged, determined to figure out how to rid himself as he strolled back to his home, an earlier vision of a navy blue lace bra making him smile in spite of himself.

'Soon Kagome. I will have you.'

---

SF: See, a happier chapter like I promised!

Kagome: But Naraku is still on my case.

SF: Because Naraku is a trip. And the bad guy.

Inu-chan: I don't care about any of that. When will Sesshoumaru become human?

SF: Give it time Inu-chan. I'm working on it. He has to go to the vet first.

Sesshou: Inuyasha is just upset because he doesn't come in until later in the fic.

SF: Sesshou! Did you have to say that! Gah!

Sesshou: It's the truth.

Kagome: She might have been saving that for a surprise.

SF: I was actually. Good grief.

Inu-chan: No matter. Now when does he become human?

SF: On the full moon, like I said earlier. Now stop pestering me.