InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ To Heal a Heart ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't deserve to own Inuyasha, after the terrible way I didn't update last month. Forgive me minna and enjoy this chapter.

Chapter Six: To Heal A Heart

Sesshoumaru woofed in greeting as Souta walked in the door, sniffing at the McDonald's bag in his hand eagerly. 'Ah…this one must be bacon, egg and cheese…' he mused. Souta opened the bag, then quickly closed it and hid it behind him as Kagome thundered down the steps.

"Hi Souta!" she said as she gave him a quick hug. "How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks." He held up his keys, then put them inside his pocket. "Thanks for the key Sis. With your hearing, I'd still be outside freezing my balls off."

"Souta!" Kagome whacked his arm, frowning as Souta laughed. "Sorry about that Kagome. It's the my new influence at home."

"Is Miroku still there?"

"Yup." Kagome groaned, reaching on the steps for a pair of sneakers. "Poor Miroku. How long has he been there?"

"This'll be the second week. He's starting to create a dent in the couch. Mom wants him to share a room with me. I don't think I'll be able to do that."

"Why doesn't he get my old room?" Kagome asked as she sat on the edge of the couch and tied her shoes.

"Because it's Mom's sewing room. Um, Kagome," Souta said, pointing to the shoes. "I'm not an expert on women's fashion or anything, but I don't think that goes together."

Kagome stared down at herself, eying the red pencil skirt and white vest before shrugging and pulling the matching suit jacket over her shoulders. "Have you ever tried to drive in 5" heels?"

"Um," Souta pretended to think a moment, then shook his head. "Nope. Don't think I have. But I'm going to consider it."

"W. E. Souta," Kagome grumbled. She reached inside the living room closet for her coat and a yellow backpack.

"What's that?" Souta asked.

"It's my backpack. I need it."

"Since when did you carry so much junk?" Souta teased. Kagome glowered, then decided to ignore him. "My stuff, for your information, is in the small part in the front. This is all Chance's stuff."

"Since when did he need so much junk?" Souta asked, gesturing to the size of the bag.

"His food, bandages, food bowl, some bottled water and one of his blankets are in here."

Souta started to laugh, shaking his head at her. "You sound like you're going camping, not going to work.

"Well, it's better to be over prepared than under. Now I bet you don't remember me telling you Sunday that you didn't have to come today, do you?"

"Um, no…." He eyed Kagome skeptically. "Are you sure you said that?"

"I said it to you, dear, so I should remember."

"So I don't get to hang with my buddy today," Souta groaned, scratching Sesshoumaru's ears wistfully. "That's too bad. We have fun, don't we boy?"

'If you call fun watching you drool all over yourself in your sleep, then yeah. Loads…'

"But where's he going?"

"He's coming to work with me. I was supposed to bring him Friday, but the little girl that wanted to see him was having surgery."

"Oh, well then." He kneeled to Sesshoumaru's level, looking him straight in the eye as he scratched Sesshoumaru's chin. "Listen well my friend. Stay away from anyone with a scalpel. You might get neutered."

If Sesshoumaru could have paled he would have, but he settled for looking away from him to Kagome.

"That's right buddy," Souta continued. "There are plenty of people that consider dog ba-"

"Shut up Souta," Kagome grumbled, 'accidentally' knocking the book bag against his head as she stepped past him and put on Sesshoumaru's leash. "You can have free reign of the house," Kagome said to Souta as they walked to her car.

"Just don't be too loud, don't start anything and make sure you keep the door locked. Take any room but mine."

"Alright Nee-chan!" Souta waved as she pulled away. He waited until Kagome was well up the street, then pulled out his cell phone and dialed a few numbers.

"Hey Craig," he said moments later. "Yeah man, I'm good. I've got the best news…"

*

Kagome pulled into a parking space, once again leaning on the horn as she and Sesshoumaru waited for Sango to come out of her apartment.

"Sorry boy," Kagome apologized when Sesshoumaru covered his head with his paws. "But I have to do this. If you think I'm bad in the morning, then you should see Sango. She's worse."

'I do not doubt it,' Sesshoumaru winced when she practically beat on the horn with her fists. 'I do not understand how humans could have survived for so long with their hearing.'

"Alright!" Sango yelled as she closed her apartment door. "I'm coming! Jeez, hold your panties, would you?"

"Just come on!" Kagome fussed as she opened the door and Sango hopped in. "You know it's your fault we're always running in the door at the last second."

"What are they going to do?" Sango asked as Kagome pulled out of the parking space and into traffic. "Fire us?"

"I'd rather not find out. I have two to feed now, so I can't afford to be jobless."

"Oh my God!" Sango squealed, causing Kagome to nearly swerve into oncoming traffic.

"What is wrong with you?" Kagome yelled back. Sesshoumaru hid his head again, trying to bury it under the book bag.

"When's the little one coming?"

"Huh?" Kagome asked, nervously glancing at Sango out the corner of her eye. "What are you talking about?"

"You said you had two to feed? When's the due date?"

"What the hell are you-" It hit her suddenly, and she groaned and slapped Sango in the arm when she started to giggle. "I'm talking about Chance, you baka. You haven't said anything to him, by the way."

"Mighty Dog is with us?" Sango turned in her seat just as Sesshoumaru raised his head. "Why hello there! Saved anyone today?"

Sesshoumaru gave a light growl, to which Sango laughed and scratched his ears. "I'm just playing. How are you?"

"He's good," Kagome answered for him, her eyes narrowing slightly as a red Honda pulled out in front of her. "He'd be better if Souta would stop feeding him McChicken burgers."

"McChicken's are sandwiches, not burgers."

Kagome threw up her hands, then settled them back. "What's the difference?"

"There has to be a cow in a burger."

"Ewww Sango. Thanks." Kagome shook her head as she pulled into the department's parking lot. "I don't think I'll ever eat a burger again."

"I'm just telling you what you already know." Kagome grimaced, but pulled into a parking space and parked. "Um, what's Wonder Dog doing here anyway?"

"He's coming with me to the hospital today."

"Really?" Sango smiled as she and Kagome got out of the trunk, reaching inside for the yellow book bag and slinging it over her shoulder. Kagome grasped Sesshoumaru's leash and led him inside, both of them ignoring the strange glances they received from the other employees as they and Sango boarded the elevator.

"Sango, can I ask you to do me a favor?" Kagome asked.

"Anything."

"Can you just forgive Miroku already, so he can get off of my mother's couch?" Kagome snapped, frowning as Sango started to laugh. "What's with this? You've been laughing at me all day."

"It's only because you're funny," Sango gasped, resting her hand on Sesshoumaru's head. He mentally frowned, but stepped to the side so her hand slipped and she stumbled forward.

"See," Kagome said, gesturing to Sesshoumaru as she rubbed his ears. "Chance doesn't like it when you laugh at me either. Now answer my question."

Sango gasped, but soon quieted enough to answer her. "I'm not even mad at the hentai."

"You're not?"

Sango shook her head. "Nope."

Kagome took a deep breath, then another before "Then why is he wearing a hole in my mother's couch?"

"Oh, that."

"Yeah that," Kagome grumbled. "Care to share?"

Sango nodded, checking to see how many floors they had left before proceeding. "See, Miroku eyed some girl's butt in a restaurant a few weeks back, right? Well, I got tired of him doing the same thing every time we go somewhere."

"But he does that everywhere," Kagome said.

"I know," Sango groaned, she and Kagome stroking one of Sesshoumaru's ears at the same time. Sesshoumaru closed his eyes instantly, enjoying the blissful feeling as the two humans around him continued.

"I basically flipped. I told him I never wanted to see him again, and that the wedding was off. I handed him the ring and walked out of the place."

"I'm really sorry Sango," Kagome said, reaching over to give Sango a one-armed hug. Sango returned it, successfully trapping Sesshoumaru's head between them. Sesshoumaru nosed them away from him, finding the sudden incasing of both orchids and jasmine combined with apple blossoms and cinnamon too overwhelming.

"Ooops." Sango and Kagome giggled as they separated, resuming the wondrous ear scratching. "We forgot about you Chance."

"Yeah," Sango replied. "Sorry about the trying to suffocate you thing."

'Twits…' Sesshoumaru purred contently, almost whimpering when the elevator doors opened and they stopped. They walked down the hall to Kagome and Sango's office, shutting the door behind them.

"Anyway," Sango said as Kagome reached inside the front pocket of the backpack and unlocked the door. "I told him not to darken my doorstep until he grew up."

"But Miroku not grabbing someone is just not Miroku," Kagome said, allowing Sesshoumaru to drag her into the office. Sango closed the door behind them, then sat at her desk and turned on her computer.

"I know, but what if he does that because he's not satisfied with me."

Kagome blinked in confusion. "Then why did he propose?"

Sango sighed, resting her chin in the palm of her hand as she propped her elbow on her desk. "Because I'm safe. I have a steady job, I make good money, and I have my own place." She closed her eyes and sniffed. "I mean, we just don't seem to go together. No offense to your cousin Kagome, but Miroku and I are on two different levels. He's a slacker, and I've given that up. I have bills, I'm planning to get a car and I'm saving for the future. His future consists of what kind of underwear to wear in the morning."

'Uh-oh. Female human emotional overload.'

Kagome sat on the corner of Sango's desk, enfolding her friend in a gentle hug. "Don't think stuff like that. I'm sure if you talk to Miroku about it, he'll at least try to see things your way."

"That's the problem. He's not trying to see things in anyone's way but his own. Did you know that he calls me his old lady in front of people? He's three years older than me for God's sake!"

'This promises to cause tears.'

"I'm just tired of it Kagome. I want to marry him, but how could I with the way he behaves?"

"I totally understand."

"No you don't," Sango sighed. "How could you? You don't even have a boyfriend. You freeze every guy out that makes a decent pass at you." Sango blinked when Kagome stiffened, and started to apologize. "I'm so sorry about that Kagome. Please don't be angry with me. I didn't mean it."

"That's ok Sango," Kagome replied quietly. "You're under a lot of stress right now. I'm not mad."

"Are you sure?" Sango asked as Kagome went back to her desk. "I swear I don't know what made me say that."

"I'm sure. You're fine. I've just got a lot of paperwork to do, that's all." Kagome sat down and turned on her computer, quickly skimming through the case files on her disk. Sango glanced at her a moment more, then turned away and went to work.

Sesshoumaru watched the two of them during the silence, mulling over the conversation as the clicking of keys sounded around him. 'So she's nervous around human males,' he thought, turning his golden eyes up to her before resting his head in his paws and staring ahead. 'I wonder why…hmm…' He nosed her knee, then sat up and placed his paw on it when she didn't respond.

"Woof."

Kagome blinked, her fingers pausing before she finally acknowledged him. "Are you hungry Chance?"

"Woof."

"I'll take that as a yes." Kagome reached inside her pack for one of his food containers, then moved to stand up when Sango pulled the container out of her hands, Sesshoumaru's metal food bowl already in the other.

"Let me do it," she asked. Kagome shook her head. "I don't know. I don't want him excepting food from everyone."

"But it's me," Sango begged. "I wouldn't hurt him. Shoot, I mixed his first bowl of food, remember?"

"Yeah…" Kagome thought a moment, then shrugged and handed Sango Sesshoumaru's leash. "Go ahead. Behave for me Chance."

'Sure, why not?' Sesshoumaru thought as Sango lead him out the door. 'I will not do more than chew through some random human's leg, pee on the coffee machine cord and possibly drag Sango down the halls as I chase an imaginary cat.'

"Come on boy," Sango said as she lead them down the hallway. "The break room's this way." They finally stopped at a small coffee room with a round table, a few chairs, a refrigerator and a microwave. "The rest of your food will go in here when you finish. Let's heat this up, shall we?"

Sango tossed the container into the microwave, tapped a few buttons, then closed the door and leaned against the counter as Sesshoumaru watched the container. 'It would seem that the rest of my days will be spend in front of these contraptions,' Sesshoumaru thought as he watched the food go round and round.

Sango sighed despondently, then shook her head. "Why on earth did I say that?" she asked aloud, earning Sesshoumaru's partial attention. 'And here it comes…the guilt trip.'

"I mean, Kagome's my friend. No, more like my sister, and even thought she said I didn't hurt her feelings, I can tell that I did. It's not her fault that Miroku's a perv. And it's not her fault that she's not willing to trust a lot of people. Jeez, after what happened to her, do I really blame her?"

Sesshoumaru whimpered, insistently nudging Sango's hand. "Hey Chance," she said as she scratched his ears. "Are you wondering what I'm talking about?"

"Bark."

****

SF: See, Sesshoumaru can do more than go 'Woof' thought I like woof better that bark, snap and yip

****

"Alright then," Sango closed the room door, then took Sesshoumaru's food out of the microwave when the timer went off. "I don't know why I'm telling you this. Kagome made me swear not to tell anyone, but I know you wouldn't tell a soul, would you boy?"

Sesshoumaru watched as she poured the rice mixture into his bowl, wishing she'd get to the bloody point as she set the food down to his level.

"When we were seniors in high school, Kagome met a guy named Alex. He was a real jerk, the prince of jerks depending on who you asked. He was new to the school and he used that to pull pranks and cruel tricks on anyone he could. He used to stuff people inside lockers, he'd take people's lunch money. He bullied the tech students and virtually destroyed the chess club."

'Sounds like my kind of human.'

"Well, Kagome figured that we were only giving him a hard time because he was new, and not because of the obvious. She tried to befriend him, and soon started going out with him. We tried to tell her that he was bad news, but she wouldn't listen. She kept telling us that he wasn't that bad, and that he didn't mean to do half of the stuff he did. Naïve huh?"

'Very much so, but continue.'

"Anyway," Sango said, scraping a little more food from the container. "We were all at a diner together when he freaked and tried to punch Kagome's cousin in the nose. Miroku and I tried to stop him, but he and Kagaromaru soon got into an ugly fist fight, and we had no clue why until we got to the police station. It turns out that he found Alex in the backseat with a girl that went to college with him. Kagome was hurt, but when Alex said that Kagaromaru was lying, Kagome believed him and talked her mother into bailing him out of jail."

'I never would have guessed her to be so stupid,' Sesshoumaru thought.

"I mean, his own mom wouldn't bail him out. Wouldn't that tell you something?" Sango threw up her hands and shook her head. "But that's Kagome for you. I honestly think it hurts her to be mean. That might explain Naraku. Anyway, a few weeks later we found her with a bloody nose behind the basketball bleachers. Alex apparently tried to force himself on her, and when she fought back he hit her."

Sesshoumaru growled, disgusted by such cowardness. 'Humans truly have no honor. Not even I would hit one of their females.'

"We found the nurse, who called her brother and Miroku to the office since they were kin to her. When they heard what happened, they flipped and went after him. That was the worst beat down I've ever seen." Sango started to giggle, and even Sesshoumaru could find some humor in what she said, though the idea of someone like Kagome with a jerk like that made him wonder about her I. Q.

"He convinced Kagome to forgive him and when she did he dumped her the next day. He said something about finding someone easier than her, and not so afraid to grow up. I think he might be the reason she stopped singing too. Since then she's been by herself, afraid to have a relationship with anyone but family, myself," she smiled down at Sesshoumaru. "And you. So count your stars, doggie. Kagome may be wary of human men, but she's definitely not afraid of you." She scratched behind his ears once again, kneeling before him as she patted his head. "Even if you are Mammoth Dog."

Sesshoumaru mentally groaned at the nickname, but said nothing else as Sango cleaned his dish, dried it off and lead him back to their office. 'It would seem Kagome's had a hard life so far,' Sesshoumaru thought as he resumed his place by Kagome's desk. 'But it must be hard for a human to be alone. Youkai are used to it, even though….' Sesshoumaru closed his eyes, deciding a nap would be perfect. The sunlight streamed in from the window, warming his back as his eyes drifted open. 'Neither of us want to be. We've created shields around ourselves, to protect us and keep enemies from finding our weakness. Hers is more like a prison though, with only one tiny window to look out of.'

Sesshoumaru's eyes finally closed, and all was quiet until they suddenly snapped open. 'Could it be,' he thought, the idea becoming more logical the more he thought about it. 'That all our shields are are prisons? That we might be…missing something, like Kagome?' Sesshoumaru shook his head then, promptly trouncing on the idea as sleep finally claimed him.

*

Kagome and Sesshoumaru sat in the hospital waiting room, Kagome glancing at her watch as Sesshoumaru attempted to adjust to the cold sterile floor. 'Ack! Do they not have heat here somewhere?!"

"Mrs. Higurashi," the desk nurse called. Kagome stood, as did Sesshoumaru when she motioned for them to follow her.

"Now you must understand," the nurse said as she lead them down a series of hallways. "That we normally do not allow dogs into this facility."

"Oh, don't worry about Chance," Kagome said, patting Sesshoumaru's head. "He's very well behaved."

'When I want to be, of course.'

"That may be true," the nurse said skeptically, eyeing Sesshoumaru over her shoulder. "But you must keep a tight rein on your animal. If he so much as growls, he must go."

"Alright then," Kagome said. "You hear that boy? You have to be on your best behavior, ok?"

'Whatever,' Sesshoumaru thought as they stopped before a door. "The doctor is already inside, as is the patient. Make sure that mutt is gentle."

Sesshoumaru bit back a growl as Kagome glared at the woman. "My dog is no mutt."

"Whatever," she said as she walked away. Kagome stuck her tongue out at her back, then led Sesshoumaru into the room. Kagura sat on one side of the only bed in the room, with Kanna's parents sitting in chairs against the wall at the foot of it.

"Hi Dr. Asuri," Kagome said, reaching out to shake Kagura's hand. Kagura scowled. "Didn't I tell you to call me Dr. K?"

"Um," Kagome thought a moment. "Yes, you did."

"Then do so. How are you Kagome?"

"I'm well. This is Chance," she said, gesturing to Sesshoumaru as he stopped looking around and finally settled his gaze on the good doctor.

"Wow, he's a beaut,' Kagura complimented. "And what breed is he?"

"I don't know actually," Kagome confessed. "His vet thinks he's a new species."

"Wow," Kagura repeated. "Now I really want to touch him. I can't though. I have rounds to make." She pouted slightly. "What a shame."

'Females. As long as it's fluffy and cute, they want to touch it. Though I must admit that I understand their reasons…'

"So how's Kanna," Kagome asked. Kagura sighed. "Physically, she's healing. Friday's surgery repaired a lot of tears and rips and such, but we'll have to wait and see if she'll be able to have children someday. Physiologically, I'm not sure. She seems to be fascinated with water for some reason. She's almost always in the shower."

"How awful," Kagome whispered. Kagura nodded. "Yeah, I know. Anyway, I'm going to start my rounds. If you need me, pick up that phone by the bed and page me, ok?"

"Alright." Kagome waved as Kagura walked out, then greeted Kanna's parents. "Hello. How are you?"

"We're alright," Rev. Holland said as Mrs. Holland yawned beside him. "Kanna's surgery went smoothly."

"I heard," Kagome said with a smile. "I'm glad. This is Chance, by the way."

"He's kind of large, isn't he?" Mrs. Holland asked nervously. "Is he gentle?"

Kagome nodded as Sesshoumaru snorted in disagreement. "He's very gentle. He won't hurt her."

"If you say so," Rev. Holland said. "Kanna's asleep."

"Alright then. Come on Chance." Kagome sat in a chair beside Kanna's bed, with Sesshoumaru sitting beside her. She and Kanna's parents discussed unimportant things, like the weather and such, as Sesshoumaru studied the little girl.

'I smell blood on her,' he noticed. 'It's old, and very faint, but it's there. I also feel sadness from her. She seems so much like the others….' Her heartbeat quickened and her breathing shallowed slightly, sure signs that she was awakening. Sesshoumaru moved from Kagome's side unnoticed, sat by Kanna's bedside and placed his head in her hand. 'I should be the first one she sees,' he determined. 'That way she would know that Kagome remembered her promise, though why I care I do not know.'

Kanna opened her eyes slowly, glancing at her surroundings before her brain registered the heavy weight inside her palm. Dead brown eyes focused on Sesshoumaru, and for a moment he felt a pain somewhere inside him before her eyes lit up. She smiled, a true one that reached her eyes as she whispered. "Hi Chance…"

'No matter how many times I see that,' Sesshoumaru thought as Kanna sat up and began to pet him. 'It never ceases to amaze me.'

"Hi Kanna," Kagome greeted. "How are you?"

"Kinda sore, but I'm fine. How are you Miss Higurashi?"

"Just Kagome, Kanna," Kagome told her. She smiled at Sesshoumaru, shaking her head when Kanna found Sesshoumaru's weak spot behind his ears. His tail swept across the floor madly, his eyes closed with what she thought was the weirdest doggie grin on his face. "I see you've met Chance."

"Yeah. He's a great dog. I want one just like him."

"You've only known him for a few seconds Kanna," Mrs. Holland laughed, relieved to see her daughter smile for the first time since the whole ordeal began. "How can you be sure?"

"Because I can tell. He's smart too!" Kanna concluded, earning chuckles all around.

'Finally, a human that understands me…'

"I happen to agree with you," Kagome said. "I think he's a great dog too." She smiled when Kanna hugged him, missing her wince when she pulled Sesshoumaru's head into her lap. Sesshoumaru didn't mind at first, but the blood smell increased and he found himself pulling away.

"You don't like how I smell, do you?" Kanna whispered sadly, low enough for her parents not to hear. "I don't blame you. I've tried to get clean, but I can't. I feel yucky. Have you ever felt yucky Chance?"

'No, and you shouldn't have to,' Sesshoumaru concluded, returning his head to her lap in spite of the smell. Kanna smiled and hugged him again, this time a single tear slipping from her eyes and into his fur.

"I'm sorry Chance. I don't mean to smell bad."

Sesshoumaru licked her face gently, and action not unnoticed by the adults around them. "Is everything alright?" Kagome asked. Kanna nodded. "Yeah, why?"

"He's never licked my face before. I just wanted to make sure."

"Yeah. He's a great dog Kagome. If you ever want to give him away, please give him to me."

Kagome smiled and nodded. "I'll remember that if I ever have to. Now we have to be going." Kagome stood up, leaving Sesshoumaru to accept another hug before leading him out of the room.

"Can he come back?" Kanna asked after them. Kagome shrugged. "Maybe when you go home, how does that sound?"

"Alright!"

Kagome smiled, saying goodbye to the family before leaving the room and closing the door behind her. As they traveled down the hallway, Sesshoumaru questioned his reaction to the child.

'What is it with me and human children?" he wondered silently. 'I should not care so much for these creatures, but I seem not to be able to help it. I would bet that it has something to do with the curse.' Sesshoumaru fought back a growl. 'Damn that miko, the conniving bitch!'

"Kagome!"

Kagome and Sesshoumaru stopped and waited for Kagura to catch up to them. "Yes Dr. K?"

"How'd everything go?" she asked, patting Sesshoumaru's head. Kagome looked at her curiously. "I'm on break," Kagura informed her. "So, how'd it go?"

"It went fine," Kagome said. "Kanna and Chance really got along. She smiled."

"Are you serious?" Kagome nodded. "Wow. I've never seen that kid smile. I'm glad he could do it."

"Me too. Have you heard anything about the case yet?"

Kagura shook her head. "Nope. Haven't had a chance to call that jackass detective yet."

"Oh, well I'm going to his office tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep you informed."

"Would you? Thanks Kagome. You're a real doll, unlike some folks around here." She glared at the desk nurse behind Kagome, the nurse cowering behind the counter under her intense gaze.

'Now this is a human I could respect.'

"Well," Kagura said, finally giving the nurse a break. "You two go ahead. Oh, and you're supervisor called. She said that since you don't have anything else to do, you and Chance can take the rest of the day off."

"Alright then, thanks." Kagome waved, then left the hospital and walked through the parking lot to her car. She helped Sesshoumaru get into the backseat first, the sat in the driver's seat and closed the door. "Hold on one second Chance," she said as she began to dial. "I need to make a call."

Sesshoumaru did so, resting his head on his front paws as he listened to her part of the conversation.

"Hi. May I speak with Ms. Milstrome please? <pause.> Hi, Kaede! How are you? <pause.> I'm well. I'm calling to ask wither or not you want me to return to work. <pause.> Uh-hu. <pause.> Alright then. No ma' am, I'm not. Thanks." She turned off the cell, then turned to Sesshoumaru and smiled.

"Guess what buddy?"

'Free tickets to the Super Bowl?'

"We have the day off!" Kagome cheered. She started the car and pulled off. "I still have to pick up Sango though, but what should we do until then? It's too short of a time to go home, so what do you suggest?"

Kagome stopped suddenly, turning the car in a different direction. "I know! Why don't we go to the park? I've wanted to walk you for a while now!"

'Oh goodie…' Sesshoumaru bemoaned as Kagome made her way to the nearest park.

*

Kagome pulled into her driveway hours later, not exactly surprised to find Naraku standing in her driveway. Souta's car was nowhere in sight, a sure sign that he was already on his way home. Kagome opened the back door for Sesshoumaru as Naraku leaned against the driver's side door.

"Hello Kagome. You're home early."

"Hello Mr. Naraku," Kagome greeted politely, earning an unseen roll of the eye from Sesshoumaru. He reached inside for the yellow backpack, grasped a strap between his teeth and pulled it out of the car. Naraku watched this with mild interest, his focus more on Kagome's rear as she bent down to pat Sesshoumaru's head.

"Thanks boy. You're so smart."

"Woof," Sesshoumaru replied around the strap. He growled a bit at Naraku, then turned his back on the humans and walked up the driveway to sit on the porch, where he kept a good eye on them. Naraku shook his head.

"He's awfully protective of you."

"Maybe," Kagome said skeptically. "But I'm not so sure he likes me."

'Why should I?'

"Of course he likes you!" Naraku assured her. "He growls at me like I'm going to pick you up and carry you away. If he doesn't like you, then I wonder why he does that?"

'Free room and board, plus the chance to see a nearly topless girl every morning…'

"Thanks Mr. Naraku," Kagome said with a soft smile. "Please," Naraku replied. "Call me Onigumo."

'Spider monster,' Sesshoumaru translated as Naraku kissed the back of Kagome's hand. 'You would think she would notice something like that.'

"Alright then Mr. Naraku," Kagome said, pulling her hand back to her side. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact. There is." Naraku fidgeted for a moment, then smiled at her. "You see, I feel as if you and I have gotten off on the wrong foot."

"We have?"

Naraku nodded. "I'm not a verbal person, so when I see someone I would like to get to know I tend to get a little tongue-tied."

'Who does this guy think he's fooling?'

"I didn't know," Kagome said, watching him curiously. Naraku nodded. "I expected that you didn't. Not a lot of people realize it. Anyway, I just wanted to apologize for coming off a little strong. I just think you're a great person, and I really want to get to know you better."

"You do?" Kagome asked skeptically. Naraku nodded again. "That is, if you'll let me."

"Um, sure."

'And of course she would fall for it,' Sesshoumaru thought with a shake of his head. 'After all, didn't Sango says something about her being gullible?' But he noticed her immediate unease when Naraku hugged her. She tensed, and the fear and panic in her scent nearly set his mind reeling. 'She really does have a problem with trusting males,' he realized with wide eyes.

"Um, Mr. Naraku?"

"Forgive me Kagome," Naraku whispered in her hair. "It's just that, I've never known anyone as kind and gentle as you. I'm truly lucky." Naraku kept his smile hidden from Kagome in her hair, but Sesshoumaru got a good view of the lecherous, evil grin that spread across his face like wildfire. He inhaled slowly, his smile widening as he took in the scent of Kagome's hair. "Perhaps we could spend a little time getting to know each other."

"Maybe," Kagome muttered as she attempted to step away from him. "But it would have to be after Chance gets better."

"Of course," Naraku said, glaring at Sesshoumaru. "But then?"

"Then maybe."

'Not while I am in charge,' Sesshoumaru determined, watching as Kagome tried once again to get away from Naraku's arms.

"Do you promise?" Naraku asked. "Do promise to at least try?"

"I….um…"

'She hasn't a clue as to how to dismiss this human.' Sesshoumaru looked around, mentally replaying Naraku's request to get to know Kagome better. 'Hmmm….how to prevent that, and get her away from him for the moment as well…' A protruding branch in a nearby bush gave him an idea…

*

"Well," Kagome began, still trying to step away from Naraku. "I can't promise that."

"And why not?" Naraku asked. "After all, you said you would try, so why wouldn't you be able to promise?"

"I jus-"

"Yip!"

Kagome spun around quickly, Naraku's arms flailing around her as she jumped toward the sound. "Chance?" She gasped when she finally saw him, Sesshoumaru struggling to get free of a nearby thorn bush. "Chance! I'm coming. Hold on!"

Kagome rushed toward him, leaving Naraku forgotten in the middle of the driveway as she struggled to free Sesshoumaru from the bush. "How did you get stuck like this?" Kagome asked as she yanked the last branch free. Sesshoumaru dropped to the ground, lying on his side and looking away from her. "Oh no! Look at your bandage!"

The bandage around Sesshoumaru's middle was torn and bloody, the white cloth swiftly turning dark and stained. "I bet you tore some stitches." She struggled to pick him up, lifting only a few feet from the ground as Naraku started toward them. "Let me help you Kagome."

Sesshoumaru growled instantly, and Kagome shook his head. "No, I don't think so. He might try to bite you. Could you open the back door for me please?"

"Of course." Naraku opened the door quickly, then moved to adjust the blanket on the back seat as Kagome put Sesshoumaru into the car. She jumped into the driver's seat moments later, leaving Naraku to close the door.

"Kagome?"

"I'll have to talk to you later Mr. Naraku," Kagome said as she started the car. "I've got to go!"

"It's Onigumo!" Naraku shouted behind her as she sped off. "Damn!" he muttered under his breath. "I almost had her…"

*

'Well, this worked like a charm, even if it does hurt like hell,' Sesshoumaru thought as Kagome drove toward the vet. 'How on earth did I miss the thorns on that bush though?' He closed his eyes, listening to the sound of the engine as Kagome dialed the vet's office on her cell phone.

"Hello? I need to speak with Dr. Pavalo. It's an emergency!" Kagome waited for the doctor to pick up the phone, then proceeded to explain Sesshoumaru's predicament with the thorn bush. Kagome nodded and hung up moments later, glancing over her shoulder at Sesshoumaru. "I'm so sorry Chance. I should have been paying attention to you. Don't worry. We'll get to help soon."

Kagome pulled into the animal hospital parking lot thirty minutes later, finding a stretcher and a pair of nurses already waiting outside. Kagome stopped beside them, opening the door for them so they could transfer Sesshoumaru from the backseat and rush him inside. Kagome parked in the emergency space and followed them inside, watching from the waiting room as they wheeled Sesshoumaru away from her.

"Will he be ok?" Kagome asked the front desk nurse. She nodded. "I'm sure he will be. Why don't you take a seat?" Kagome did so with a sigh, trying to say still long enough to calm down. She finally stood back up, walking to a nearby ladies room. "I'll be right back," she informed the desk nurse.

Kagome washed her hands quickly, not surprised to find Sesshoumaru's blood on them. 'I'm so tired of having that dog's blood on me,' she thought with a sigh. She leaned against a nearby wall, her eyes heavy and weary as she dried off her hands. 'Why does he keep getting hurt around me? Am I bad luck for him or something?'

"Miss?"

Kagome opened her eyes, smiling at the desk nurse as she stepped into the bathroom. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," Kagome assured her. "This is just the second time I've had to bring him here in two weeks."

"I remember you. You hit him, right?"

Kagome nodded miserably, the memory still enough to make her feel guilty. "Yeah, that was me."

"Don't be upset about it. You've done a lot more for him than most people would have done. I'm sure your dog will be fine. How about a cup of coffee?"

Kagome nodded again, following the nurse back to the waiting room. "Alright. Coffee would be good right about now."

"Great. You wait here and I'll be right back."

*

Kagome glanced at her watch, groaning to herself as her cell phone rang. 'Oh great. It's 7:03. I wonder what's taking so long.' "Hello?"

"Hey Kagome-girl!" Sango said from the other end. "How are you?"

"Not too hot I'm afraid. I'm at the vet."

Sango gasped from the other end. "What's wrong?"

"Chance busted himself up pretty good," Kagome explained.

"How?"

"I don't know exactly. I was talking to Mr. Naraku when it happened. But so far he got stuck in that thorn bush outside my front door. I think it ripped some stitches."

"Wow, that dog has the worst luck."

"Yeah, especially around me."

"Kagome, don't say-"

"Miss Higurashi?"

Kagome looked up, then turned back to her cell. "I've got to go Sango. The doctor's here."

"Hey, if you want I can meet you at your place?"

"How?"

"I'll just call Miroku. He'll be more than happy to get back in my good graces, even if it is for a few minutes."

"Alright then Sango. See you there." Kagome hung up, and then turned to Dr. Pavalo. "How is he?"

"Come with me." Dr. Pavalo led Kagome out of the waiting room and into the back past the emergency doors. "You're assessment of Chance's injuries were correct. He has managed to tear a few stitches, plus his struggling made the gash on his side a little deeper. That really wasn't our concern however."

"Well what was?" Kagome asked.

"The poisonous plant Chance came in contact with. When he arrived, infection was beginning to set in."

"My goodness," Kagome muttered, her guilt pouncing on her like a hungry lion. "But I thought that it took time for infections to set."

"With most poisons it does, but not with this particular plant. Its poison is more potent, and any other dog would have had a serious infection by the time you arrived." She opened the kennel doors, leading Kagome to a nearby desk. "But Chance's blood was actually fighting off the poison's effect, as if he had been poisoned in the past."

"I don't understand," Kagome replied as Dr. Pavalo sat on the edge of her desk.

"I don't either exactly. The only way I could try to explain it would be the food testers in Feudal Era Japan. Do you know anything about them?"

"I think so," Kagome said, taking her time to remember. "They tested the emperor's food for poisons. Over time, after digesting so many poisons, they soon became immune to them."

"Or used to them. Chance has had poison in his system before, on that was much stronger than the neuro-toxin that the bush excreted. That dog has had a hard life."

"But will he be ok?" Kagome asked. Dr. Pavalo nodded eagerly. "He sure will be. Chance is a fighter, so it shouldn't take long for him to heal. Unfortunately, he's going to have to stay here overnight for observation."

"Can I stay with him?"

"Again?" Dr. Pavalo laughed, shaking her head as she did so. "No, not today dear. You look tired yourself, and I don't have a free counter. Go home and pick him up bright and early Saturday morning, ok?"

"Can I say goodnight to him first? I've gotten rather used to him being around."

"Sure." Dr. Pavalo gestured toward the back of the kennel. "He's the last one on the left."

Kagome thanked her and walked down the kennels, smiling at a pair of cute kittens before finding Sesshoumaru. "Hi boy," she whispered, kneeling beside the cage door. Sesshoumaru looked back at her, his golden eyes foggy and heavy-lidded. "Are you ok?"

'No, I'm not. How did I not smell the poison on that plant?'

"I'm so sorry Chance," Kagome whispered, reaching inside the cage to pet him. Sesshoumaru nosed her hand, allowing her scent to flow over him. "You always get hurt around me. I don't know why. I think I'm bad luck for you," Kagome gave a quiet laugh at this, raising her hand to scratch the funny mark in the middle of his forehead.

"I'll pay more attention to you from now on."

"Kagome," Dr. Pavalo called. "It's time to go."

"Alright. Be right there." Sesshoumaru sat up, tensing as the stitches pulled and his side protested the action. Kagome reached inside and kissed his nose. "I don't think you're very fond of me Chance. I don't blame you. Every time you look around, you're getting hurt because I'm not paying attention. That won't happen again. See you tomorrow."

Kagome stood up and walked back toward the front of the kennel, Sesshoumaru watching her as she left. 'Why do I feel guilty all of a sudden?' he wondered as he settled back into the cage. 'After all, she's right. I do seem to run into bad luck with her. But it's not that I don't like her, it's just that….I don't know what to think. She's not bad, for a human.'

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes, already dreaming of tomorrow as sleep overcame him.

---

SF: : ( I'm soooooo sorry about being so very late with this chapter. The Little Muse got mad at me and finals started.

Silver Fox: 0.o I had to think of more than sex to help her write this. What's wrong with the world when a man has to think about more than sex?

SF: -*- And I appreciate that too Silver buddy. Here {::hands him a bag::} all for you.

Silver Fox: {::digs around bag, then::} = ) Ooooo!!!!! Penthouse! Thanks SF!

SF: -_-' Not a problem Silver. Now could you get to work on 'A Kiss' please?

Silver Fox: ^.^ Sure! {::runs off stage::}

SF: Men. They're so easy to please. Anyway, since my Little Muse is on lock-down until after Christmas, I'm going to have to think of the story myself. Since I'm doing that, the next chapter will be what we want. And you guys know what that is right? You don't? Then let me tell you! Chapter Seven of 'Second Chance' will be {::drum roll here::} 'The Full Moon Rises!' That's right folks! SESSHOUMARU'S GONNA BE HUMAN!!!!

Sesshou: >.<* You said that you would wait.

SF: ~.~ I said the little muse would wait. Now that I'm in charge of the story, I'm not going to.

Sesshou: [: ( {::walking away, grumbling about bitchy guardians and their plans to get a youkai killed::}

SF: ^.^ Well, he'll be fine. 'The Full Moon Rises!' will be out January 18th, just in time for our birthday, right Kagome?

Kagome: ^.^ Right!

SF: -.- So that's it for today.