InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Second Chance ❯ A Full Moon Rises! ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't deserve to own Inuyasha, after the terrible way I didn't update last month. Forgive me minna and enjoy this chapter.

SF: Hey, I have a good question. Does anyone know where I can find a human picture of Sesshoumaru? I'd really appreciate it, because I'm running on imagination alone for this one. Oh, and if you feel like drawing a picture of a human Sesshoumaru like he is in this fic, send it in! I'd love it!

Chapter Seven: The Full Moon Rises!

Sesshoumaru glared angrily at the bandage around his waist for the fifth time this afternoon. 'It's been a week since I brushed against that bush, and this thing still itches like the devil!' He glanced at Souta, who still sat on the couch. He was nose-deep inside a biology book, every now and again jotting down notes in a notepad beside him. 'I could just scratch once,' Sesshoumaru told himself as a paw inched closer to the white gauze. 'The human will never-'

"I see you over there," Souta warned, never looking away from his book. "And you know you're not supposed to scratch."

'Yes yes…' Sesshoumaru sighed despondently, deciding to ignore Souta, the bandage, and the itch as he stood up and walked into the kitchen. He glanced at his food bowl first, then at the calendar on the wall. He read the date and was nearly off when he noticed something strange beneath it. He rose up on his hind legs, bracing his front paws against the wall as he peered closer to the date block. There, underneath the date itself, was an empty circle with the words 'Full Moon' beside it.

'Kuzo!' Sesshoumaru dropped to all fours and glanced around sharply, his eyes falling on the wall clock behind him. 'It's almost 6:30! How could I have forgotten?! It shall be dark soon! I must get out of here!'

*

'Mitosis is when cells multiply,' Souta read to himself, writing quickly as he continued. 'One cell becomes two, two become four and so on and so forth. This isn't hard at-'

>Scratch!<

>Whimper!<

"What on earth?" Souta stood up, leaving his books on the couch as he strolled into the kitchen. Chance was pawing frantically at the back door, his claws making a virtual mess of the white paint. "Chance! Stop that!"

Sesshoumaru glared back at him, then continued to scratch, knowing sooner or later Souta would open the door. Souta sighed in frustration, then gently pushed Sesshoumaru toward the floor and grasped the doorknob. "You have to go, huh boy?"

'Now there's an understatement,' Sesshoumaru growled to himself as Souta unlocked the door. Souta finally opened it, barely avoiding being knocked down as Sesshoumaru shot past him. "Hey! Wait up!"

Sesshoumaru kept running, becoming nothing more than a white streak as he ran across the yard toward the back fence. 'I know the human would never open this, so I must get over it myself.' He ran backward a few feet, then sprinted forward, his claws sinking into the wooden posts as he scrambled over them to the woods beyond. The last thing he heard; other than Souta's screaming at him to come back; was the soft purr of Kagome's engine as she pulled into the driveway.

*

"He did what?!!!" Kagome screeched, her temper flaring as smoke seemed to pour out of her ears. "You can't be serious?!!"

"I didn't know he would do that, I swear!" Souta protested. He broke the news about Chance's escape to Kagome the moment she stepped into the door, and her reaction was violent to say the least.

"You mean to tell me that an injured dog ran out the back door, across the yard, jumped a 5 and ½ foot fence and ran off?!!! And you couldn't catch him!!!!"

"Look, I said I'm sorry!" Souta argued back as he began to pack his books away. "I didn't know he could run that fast!"

"Great," Kagome groaned, kicking off her heels and sinking into the couch with a sigh. "Just great. There's no telling how much trouble he'll get into."

"I tell you what," Souta said as he picked up his jacket and a flashlight. "I'll go look for him while you take a shower. I bet he's standing outside the fence right now, trying to figure out how to get back inside."

"You think so?" Kagome asked hopefully, her voice a little strained from worry and her yelling. Souta nodded. "Now you go ahead, and I bet you I'll bring him back."

"Only if you're sure," Kagome said as she tossed him the keys to the back gate. Souta nodded, gave her a grin, and shooed her up the stairs. "Of course I am. You go ahead. I'll-No, we'll be right back."

Kagome nodded, watching him walk out the door before heading upstairs.

*

Sesshoumaru glanced up at the darkened sky, his ears twitching at the various sounds around him. 'Who would have guessed that this much woods existed around this place,' Sesshoumaru thought to himself as he continued to run. He sniffed delicately, not entirely surprised to find Souta's scent floating on the early evening breeze. 'It would figure that he would not give up.' Sesshoumaru ran faster, his paws soundlessly moving across the forest floor. 'He will have to do better than that if he hopes to-ugh!'

Sesshoumaru fell forward, his eyes closed and his breath labored as a sharp pain shot through his spine. He jerked slightly, wintered leaves cracking underneath him as he shuddered. Another pain, this one behind his eyes, left him breathless and aching to cry out. He stood up despite this, his twitching ears alerting him to Souta's fast approach.

'No matter what, I must stay away from him. I can not allow for someone to see this.'

*

Kagome showered quickly, changing into a pair of black pants and a white long-sleeved johnny-collar shirt before thundering down stairs. Souta came inside moments later, shaking his head at Kagome's expectant glare.

"It's like he disappeared," he said wearily. "I couldn't find a trace of him. You would think I could with all that moonlight."

"Great…" Kagome groaned, once again sitting on the edge of the couch. "Where is he? He could be hurt."

"I'm sure he's fine," Souta said soothingly, patting his sister's shoulder before stooping down to pick up his book bag. "Look, I bet he'll be back before daybreak."

"I'm going to look for him," Kagome said, standing up and grabbing her sneakers.

"But Kagome," Souta protested. "I'm tired, and I want to go to bed. Plus I have a test to study for."

"I know. You go home."

"And leave you here to look around in the dark? Uh-uh. No way. Wait until tomorrow."

"Souta," Kagome protested. "Chance could be hurt out there."

"And Chance could be getting some out there, but we don't know for sure because he ran off. It's too dark to see. You're not going out there by yourself."

"I'm the oldest, not you," Kagome replied as she tied her shoes. "So you can't tell me what to do."

"I can't….but Mom can."

Kagome froze mid-bow, a groan escaping her lips as she imagined what her mother would say. 'She'd most likely lecture me for hours on the dangers of going out by myself. That there are hundreds of depraved men stalking the woods, waiting for a defenseless girl to molest such as myself. It would last until daybreak. Hell, it might last until next week.' Kagome sighed in defeat. "Fine. I won't go."

"You sure?"

Kagome nodded. "I'm sure." Souta smiled triumphantly, then patted the top of Kagome's head as he opened the front door.

"I tell you what," he said, turning to face her. "I'll come back at dawn, and we'll go look for him together. OK?"

Kagome nodded sadly, and for a moment Souta thought to stay with her. 'No,' he said to himself as he walked down the driveway to his car. 'She'll be fine. I bet Chance was somewhere out there, laughing his little doggie head off at me. He's fine. Kagome worries too much.' He waved as he pulled out of the driveway, waiting for Kagome to wave back before speeding out of the cul de sack and up the hill.

Kagome waited until he was out of sight, then turned around, finished tying her shoes and flung the closet door open. She jerked on a black wool peacoat, taking the time to button it before grabbing a metal baseball bat from the far corner. She put on a matching skullcap, grabbed her cell phone and walked out the back door, taking the time to lock it behind her before descending the hill to the back gate on the other side of the yard. 'Well,' she whispered to herself as she unlocked the padlock. 'Here goes nothing.'

*

Sesshoumaru sat high in the recesses of a pine tree, glaring at the moon above him hatefully. 'Shameful,' he growled to himself, his human vocal cords preventing the sound from being as threatening as it once was. 'Reduced to this…weak, human body.' He shivered in spite of himself as a cold wind breezed past. Once again he cursed the miko, something he seemed to do on a regular on the days of the full moon.

'If she were not already dead, I'd kill her,' Sesshoumaru determined, imagining all the ways he could end her life. A sadistic grin swept across his face, only to be wiped away at the sound of leaves crunching a few meters away from him. 'I bet it's the human boy again,' he thought to himself, the smirk back in place. 'At least there will be some entertainment for the night.'

A flash of silver in the moonlight startled him, his eyes on the object as he attempted to figure out what it was. 'Curse this human vision,' he grumbled to himself as the silver came closer. 'I may as well be blind.'

His eyes widened marginally when Kagome stepped into view, the silver flash being the baseball bat that casually swung from her side. She stood directly underneath the tree, a scowl on her face as she looked around.

'What is she doing out here?' Sesshoumaru thought to himself as she glanced at her wrist. She sighed heavily, then shook her head.

"It's almost 9:00, and I still haven't found that dog," she grumbled, her irritation plain to Sesshoumaru even in his human form. Her mood shifted immediately, becoming one of worry and anxiousness as she looked toward the sky. "Why did he run off like that? Is he that tired of being with me?"

Sesshoumaru watched as she leaned back against his tree, her eyes closed as she tipped her head back and sighed. "Chance, where are you?"

'She's looking for me?' Sesshoumaru blinked, surprised for once as he stared down at her. The moonlight seemed to give Kagome an ethereal glow, her beauty evident even to his 'inferior' human senses.

'She would stay out here all night if I allow it,' Sesshoumaru reasoned as he began his silent descent to the ground. 'I suppose I should try to get her back inside.'

*

'I've been out here for hours,' Kagome bemoaned as she relaxed against the tree. 'And I haven't seen a single trace of him.' She sighed, gently tapping the bat against the side of the tree. 'I may as well go ho-'

She stopped at the sound of something crunching in front of her. She slowly opened her eyes, then gasped in surprise.

A man stood a couple of feet in front of her, dressed as though he'd walked right out of an ancient samurai movie. He wore a red, almost burgundy gi with his hands tucked inside the voluminous sleeves of his outer haori. The gold embroidery that decorated the edges of his sleeves matched perfectly with the embroidery on helm of his hakama, with what appeared to be black leather boots.

It was his face that attracted her most; porcelain-like skin shone with the sparse light, illumining his features to her awe-struck gaze. His jet black hair flowed down his back to his waist, with his bangs parted over a certain area of his forehead. His eyes shone in the moonlight, a golden intensity that left Kagome weak in the knees. The thought to fear him fluttered in her mind for an instant, but his gaze seemed familiar to her for some reason.

He watched as she tensed, her grip on the bat tightening as she stared at him. "What do you want?" Kagome whispered, pushing back her fear as she waited on her answer. He glared at her a moment more, then gazed up at the moon.

"Are you not aware of the time?" he purred more than asked, with a voice made of velvet covered steel. Kagome gasped again, the mere fact that he spoke surprising her more than what he said. He quirked a brow, but continued his moon gazing as he waited for her answer.

"Well?" he said after a moment. Kagome blinked. "Well what?"

He sighed irritably, shaking his head as he turned back to her. "Are you going to answer me? I would think you mute, but for just now. Perhaps you're just slow witted."

"Now you wait just a minute!" Kagome yelled heatedly, thrusting the bat toward him like a sword. "I'm not the one that's out here scaring the be-Jesus out of people! And yeah, I know what time it is!"

"Then why are you not inside? It is too cold for the likes of you."

Kagome frowned, her anger coming in leaps and bounds. "Are you trying to call me weak?"

"I am not trying…"

Kagome thought a moment, then frowned again, her eyes narrowing at the undercover insult. "Look here jerk! You'd better get going before I smash your head in!"

Kagome gasped moments later, wondering to herself how he managed to take the bat from her, pick her up and pin her against the tree so quickly as he glared up at her. Kagome's hands grasped his upper arms in a vice-like grip, her fingernails digging through the layers of silk to his biceps.

Once again they stared each other down, but this time it was Sesshoumaru who seemed trapped in her gaze. The moonlight from above seemed to reflect off the gray in her eyes, giving them an almost metallic glow as she glared down at him. 'She shows no fear,' he noticed, leaning closer to her to take in what he could of her scent. He brushed his nose past her ear, a small smile gracing his lips when she shivered.

"You were saying?" he whispered, chuckling to himself when she began to struggle against him. He stepped back slowly, allowing her to slip back to the ground as he picked up her bat.

"You should watch who you anger little one," he teased, watching as a blue flame seemed to light in her eyes. "After all, you are alone out here. Why are you out here?"

"I'm looking for my dog," Kagome huffed irritably. Her mood changed again, this time radiating sadness and worry. "Have you seen him? He's white, kinda big with smudged markings on his face and golden eyes."

He shook his head, taking a moment to hold up the bat before answering. "No, I haven't seen him."

"Oh." Kagome lowered her head, her eyes trained to the ground as she sniffed. "OK then. Sorry to bother you." He watched as she began to walk deeper into the forest, noting that her protection was still in his hand.

"Excuse me?"

Kagome turned around, her head cocked to the side curiously. "Yes?"

He walked up to her, handing her the bat handle first and motioned for her to take it. "You will be needing this, will you not?"

Kagome nodded dumbly, taking the bat from him after a moment of watching to make sure he didn't try anything. "Thank you."

He nodded, his gaze once again fluttering away from her before speaking. "I believe you will need some help, correct?"

Kagome sputtered, her head nodding once again. "I-I suppose so."

"And an extra set of eyes would be a convince, yes?"

Kagome nodded again.

"Then I will join you."

After a few minutes of silence, Kagome shook her head. "No way. I'm not letting you get any closer to me than you already are. You might just be a pervert or something."

'The nerve of her,' Sesshoumaru frowned. 'To think such a thing when I offer my assistance.' "I assure you, you would not be able to stop me if I wished you harm."

"But you want to help me?"

Sesshoumaru nodded, taking a moment to delicately scratch between his eyes before returning his hands to his sleeves.

"Why?"

"You should never question help," Sesshoumaru told her as he walked past her. "Especially when it is free."

"He does have a point," Kagome said to herself as Sesshoumaru kept walking. "Hey!" she yelped when she realized he was leaving her behind. "Wait up!"

*

Kagome grumbled to herself, watching the back of the ignorant jackass in front of her. 'The nerve of some people,' she complained, taking a moment to kick a small twig before attempting to catch up with him. 'Insisting that I walk behind him, like he's lord of the lands or something! What a prick!' She glared angrily at his back, taken once again by the confidant swagger in his walk. The tips of his loose hair swayed slightly from his gait, his hands still in his sleeves from what she could see.

'And who does he think he is, walking around without a coat? He can't be homeless; that gi looks too clean, and too expensive. But where did he-' "Oh!"

Kagome tripped over a large rock, too taken in by her thoughts to watch were she was going. She tried to stop her fall, but only succeeded in slowing it down. She closed her eyes, her hands out in front of her to cushion her fated descent. Her hands brushed past silk as she fell into strong arms, her fall knocking her savior backward.

They fell heavily to the ground, Sesshoumaru sprawled on his back with Kagome between his legs. Her forehead rested against his collarbone, her eyes still squinted shut as they both tried to catch their breath. Kagome sat up after a moment, slowly opening her eyes as Sesshoumaru looked down at her.

"Are you well?" he asked, once again mystifying her with the way he talked. She nodded shyly, her hands trapped between the two of them as she realized the position they were in. Sesshoumaru's hands rested comfortably across her back, and she could see the amusement in his eyes as he stared down at her.

"Thank you," she whispered softly, taking a moment to brush a stray hair from his face before rising to her feet. She held a hand down for Sesshoumaru, frowning when he brushed it aside and stood by himself with a hiss. "What is it?"

"It is nothing. Let us press on."

"Alright then," Kagome said meekly, following behind him once again. 'It sounded like I hurt him.' "Did I hurt you…" Kagome stopped, realizing that she didn't know his name.

Sesshoumaru scoffed, ignoring the question as they traveled farther into the woods. "As if you're meager weight could hurt the likes of me."

"Well excuse me for caring!" Kagome grumbled, raising her middle finger to his turned back. She blinked, then brought her hand closer to her face. 'Is that blood?' she asked herself, studying the gleaming liquid that streaked her hand. 'It is. It can't be mine so-' She ran ahead, managing to stop him as she checked him over. She stopped at his middle, gasping at his obvious injury. "Why didn't you say you were hurt?" she accused. Sesshoumaru inwardly groaned, another curse tacked to the miko already in progress as he brushed past Kagome. "My injuries are not your concern," he muttered rudely.

"The hell they're not," Kagome replied, grabbing his hand and dragging him back the way they came. Sesshoumaru followed stiffly, marveling to himself how warm her hand was in his as she shivered. "And you're hands are blocks of ice! I knew there was something wrong with you!"

"Where are you taking me?" he asked, already knowing the answer as the motion detector light on the edge of her fence flickered on.

"To my house, as stupid as that may be," Kagome told him. She dropped his hand to unlock the gate, then led him inside, through the back yard and into the kitchen. She motioned for him to sit on the island counter, watching as he effortlessly hoisted himself up before getting her first aid kit.

Kagome stood between his legs minutes later, gesturing to the stained haori irritably. "How am I going to check your wound if you don't take that off?" she asked. Sesshoumaru resisted the urge to grow, deciding instead to let her have her way for the moment. He untied the outer haori, then the inner, dropping both items to the floor before waiting for Kagome's next instruction. "And now?" he asked, noticing as a light blush stained her cheeks.

'Oh wow….' Kagome breathed to herself, her eyes drinking in the sculpted muscles before her. She caught herself at his chuckle, chastising herself for leering at a stranger as she looked at his stomach. A large slash was across it with blood drying around it as watched on. She winced in sympathy, using some warm water and a clean dishcloth to wash away the flaking blood.

"Wow," she said after a moment. "This must hurt."

"This is unnecessary, I assure you," Sesshoumaru said absently, his focus more on the dark head between his legs that what she was saying. Her fingers seemed to caress his chilled skin, the soft strokes of the cloth dimmed when compared to the way her hair slightly tickled his side. He reached down and pulled off the skullcap, watching as the rest of her hair streamed from beneath it.

"It's my thanks for helping me," Kagome said, regaining his attention. "After all, you didn't have to, with the fall or my dog." She wrapped some gauze around his middle, tying the last of it in place before picking up his shirts. "Can these be machine-washed?" she asked, checking inside the collars for the tag.

"I…suppose so," Sesshoumaru said, not entirely sure if they could be. Kagome walked away as he jumped down, following her to the hallway to watch as she tossed in the shirts inside the machine and turned it on.

"There," Kagome said, dramatically dusting off her hands. "They should be done in a few hours."

"A few hours?" Sesshoumaru repeated with a quizzical brow. "It is my understanding that these machines normally are faster than that."

"Yeah well, mine are old." Kagome tipped her head to the side, a light blush once again rising on her cheeks as she looked at him. "By the way, I'm Kagome," she said with her hand outstretched. Sesshoumaru nodded then realized that, though he knew her name already, she didn't know his.

"Sesshoumaru," he said softly, raising her hand to his lips. He kissed her knuckles quickly, his eyes boring into hers as the blush on her cheeks darkened.

"Yeah, well…" she stammered nervously, secretly disappointed when he returned her hand to her side. "Are you hungry?" Kagome quickly walked past him and to the refrigerator, reaching inside for a bottle of water and handing it to him.

"Not particularly," Sesshoumaru replied, taking the offering she presented. "But I thank you."

"No problem." She walked past him to the living room, reaching down to toss a match into the fireplace. She motioned for him to sit on the couch behind her, her sitting on the floor at his feet as she watched the fire.

"What about Chance?" Sesshoumaru asked. Kagome sighed despondently, her gaze falling to the floor before turning to look at him. Eyes that seemed golden outside were now a light hazel, and warmer than the frigid predatory glare he first presented her. 'Why am I not afraid of you?' she asked herself before answering him. "I guess I'll have to find him in the morning. Besides, you can't run around without a shirt out there."

"Are you concerned for me Kagome?" Sesshoumaru teased, tensing when she lightly swatted his knee. 'She actually struck me,' he realized as she giggled. 'The nerve…but it's nice to be able to make her laugh…'

"Of course I am!" Kagome chirped. "I'm worried about Chance, but he has a fur coat. You don't."

'Don't remind me,' Sesshoumaru grumbled to himself, choosing to say instead "Why are you not afraid of me?"

Kagome shrugged, looking back to the fireplace. "I don't know. I guess you're right about the hurting me thing. If you really wanted to, you would have by now."

'Observant little wench,' Sesshoumaru determined. "But I could still hurt you. I may just be looking for your weakness."

"My weakness isn't here," Kagome confessed, leaving Sesshoumaru confused. She continued when he pressed on. "Chance. He's not here."

"I thought you meant a boyfriend of sorts," Sesshoumaru said. Kagome shook her head. "No, I don't have a boyfriend."

"And why not?"

Kagome shifted uncomfortably, then shrugged. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Alright then." Sesshoumaru thought a moment, then asked "How is Chance your weakness? How long have you had him?"

"About a month. I guess he's my weakness because I…" she blushed then "I'm used to him."

"Used to him?"

Kagome nodded. "Two months ago, I couldn't imagine myself with a dog. Now, it's like he's always been here. I come home and he just seems to know when my day sucked. Hugging him makes me feel better, though I'm not entirely sure he likes me."

"What would make you think that?" Sesshoumaru asked. 'It is not as if I do not like her. I just do not deem her that important.'

'But you deemed the others important. Why not her,' a voice that sounded suspiciously like Kikyou asked him. Sesshoumaru shook it aside as Kagome answered him.

"He's had bad luck since I've been in his life. Shoot, the first time I met him I ran him over." Kagome shook her head guiltily, Sesshoumaru seeing for the first time how she felt about that day. "I didn't see him, and I don't know how I couldn't have. Well, since then I've taken care of him. At first I thought it was just so that they wouldn't put him to sleep, but he started becoming more important as the days went on."

She giggled to herself, her mind caught in some distant memory. "I guess you'd say that I love the giant furball."

'She…loves me? Of course she does. All the others did, why not her?' Sesshoumaru reasoned as he tried to comfort her. "I am sure he does not harbor ill feelings toward you."

"I hope not, because…" Kagome sniffed, a single tear trailing down her nose. "It'd kill me if he ran away."

Sesshoumaru hooked his arms underneath hers, pulled her to his side and gently pushed her head onto his shoulder. "I am sure he will return."

"How do you know?" Kagome asked, wiping at her eyes as another tear escaped her attention. Sesshoumaru smirked down at her. "Because I would."

Kagome rolled her eyes, wondering to herself when she started to trust him as she yawned and settled beside him. "yeah, whatever."

"I assure you, I would," Sesshoumaru told her, smiling when she started to laugh. "After all, you are here."

"Thanks," Kagome whispered quietly, taking a deep breath as she draped an arm across him. "I guess."

"You should always be sure of what you say," Sesshoumaru reprimanded quietly, watching as her eyes slid closed. "After all, one could take your doubt and turn it against you." She mumbled something incoherent, swiftly slipping into slumber in his arms.

'Even in this form she trusts me,' Sesshoumaru thought to himself as the washing machine stopped. 'Or maybe she's just this trusting. Perhaps it was best for me to accompany her, if only for her own sake.' He reached for an afghan draped across the sofa arm, draping it over Kagome before lowering her to the couch. He moved his shirts from the washing machine to the dryer, then walked into the kitchen and grabbed the phone.

Sesshoumaru thought a moment, then dialed a number from memory, smirking to himself when the other line answered.

"Hello?" was the groggy reply. Sesshoumaru peered into the living room, relieved to find Kagome still sleeping.

"Hello dear brother."

"Sesshoumaru! Holy fuck!" Sesshoumaru winced from the volume, shaking his head at Inuyasha's dramatics. "How the hell are ya!"

"I would be better if you would kindly cease that infernal shouting," Sesshoumaru growled, irritated when Inuyasha only laughed harder.

"You're human now. You're growl sucks in that form!"

"My condition is not why I require your assistance," Sesshoumaru said, satisfied when Inuyasha quieted. "I am in need of a few things."

"Anything, just shoot."

*

Sesshoumaru glanced at the clock once again, grumbling to himself about hanyou's and their lack of promptness. '11:35. Where is that bloody-'

>Knock-Knock!<

Sesshoumaru stood instantly, passing Kagome's still sleeping form as he approached the front door. He peered through the window, then opened the door and stepped outside. "It took you long enough," Sesshoumaru grumbled as he closed the door behind him. "Where have you been?"

"Hell, you're lucky I'm even here!" Inuyasha hissed, his black hair pulled back in a low ponytail. "I had to reapply my sealing spell, find something suitable to put on-"

"Which reminds me," Sesshoumaru interjected, gesturing to the green and yellow plaid pajama pants and the red t shirt. "Did you dress in the dark?"

"To hell with you Sesshoumaru. At least I have on all of my clothes, which is more than what I can say for you. Speaking of which…" a grin slowly spread across Inuyasha's face, along with a sudden feeling of dread inside Sesshoumaru.

"Where's your shirt?"

"Inside, drying off," Sesshoumaru grumbled, gesturing to his bandaged stomach. "Before you get any inane ideas, I was injured."

"Sure. Right. Anyway, who's house is this?" Inuyasha peered into the front window, his eyes briefly catching Kagome sleeping before Sesshoumaru stepped in his line of vision.

"That is not your concern halfbreed. Now where are the things I requested?"

"Yeah yeah," Inuyasha grumbled, reaching inside the backseat of his car and dropping a large black duffle bag at Sesshoumaru's feet. "Everything's in there, including shoes, clothes, and a wallet with money, credit cards and a driver's license."

"I do not drive," Sesshoumaru reminded him irritably. "So what good is a license?"

"Perhaps she'll let you drive her car," Inuyasha replied before his expression became serious. "Do you think she could be the one?"

"The one for what?" Sesshoumaru growled as he searched through the bag. Inuyasha huffed indignantly, his arms folding over his chest. "To break the curse, dumbass."

"You will refrain from using such language," Sesshoumaru said absently as he flipped through the wallet.

"Yeah whatever. So what do you think?"

"I think you are a wishful thinker."

"Then what are you doing here?" Inuyasha asked as Sesshoumaru set the bag inside the house.

"I am here because she needs protecting."

"Oh…" Inuyasha nodded. "I see. She's like the kids you used to look after."

"Yes," Sesshoumaru replied, stealing a glance at her from the window. "She is."

Inuyasha nodded his head knowingly, taking his brother's words with a grain of salt. "Sure Aniki. Anyway, I've gotta run. I have work tomorrow." He jumped into the driver's seat of his car, taking a moment to wave before speeding off into the night.

Sesshoumaru watched him leave, shaking his head at him before returning to the house and quietly shutting the door behind him. Kagome still slept, but she'd turned in her sleep, her hair falling loosely to the floor below her. Sesshoumaru shook his head, then continued his search of the bag, not entirely surprised to find a set of house keys inside one of the many pockets. 'This must be the keys to the house on my license,' Sesshoumaru determined. He pulled out a few toiletries and went upstairs to the main bathroom to take a shower.

He appeared a few minutes later, with a towel wrapped loosely around his head as he re-tied the hakamas and the boots. He took the duffle bag to the storage shed in the back, surprised to find that the room was entirely empty. 'Well,' Sesshoumaru said as he hid the bag in a dark corner. 'I shall have to keep her away from here then.'

Sesshoumaru returned to the house, moving to sit on the nearby loveseat when Kagome rolled over. He caught her before she could hurt herself, shaking his head as he returned her to the sofa. He raised her up a little, reclining one leg on the sofa, leaving the other to drape across the floor as he positioned Kagome between them. He turned his back on the fire, resting Kagome's head near his neck as she continued to sleep.

'You need protecting 24/7 don't you?' Sesshoumaru thought as he looked down at her. 'I really do not see how you managed without me. I suppose it would be alright to stay here on the nights I turn, if only to keep you from harm.' He yawned, then leaned against the pillows on the back of the couch. 'There's no telling what kind of trouble you would get into without me…'

*

Kagome woke up with a start, her eyes darting around nervously. 'I can't believe how stupid I am!' she panicked as she searched the room. 'To fall asleep with some guy in my house! Arg! Mom would kill me! Hey…' She sat up, noticing for the first time how quiet it was. 'Where is he?' She got up to search the house, not noticing the heavy thud the afghan made when it hit the floor. She walked upstairs, through the rooms and back downstairs, where she noticed the doorknob lock was locked but the dead bolt wasn't. 'He must have left,' Kagome thought sadly. 'I wish he could have said goodbye.'

She walked back to the sofa, stooping down to fold the afghan when something heavy dropped on her foot. "Yow!" She hopped a moment, then moved the blanket to see what it was. A small rolled up scroll moved across the floor, coming to a stop in front of the entertainment center.

Kagome picked it up, untied the burgundy ribbon that held it closed and unrolled it, surprised when a pink rose fell from it. She bent over to pick it up and read the note, written in a bold penmanship.

~Thank you for your kindness. I am forever in your debt. Until we meet again…

Sesshoumaru ~

"Oh wow," Kagome whispered to herself. "This guy really knows how to make a good impress-"

>Scratch-Scratch!<

Kagome walked toward the noise, setting the scroll and the rose on the kitchen counter as she glanced through the kitchen window. Chance stood on the back porch, scratching at the door and glancing around. Kagome opened the door moments later, standing in the threshold as she glared at him.

"And where were you last night?" she asked, knowing she wouldn't get an answer. Chance merely looked up at her, the early morning sunrise shining in his yellow eyes. "No answer huh? Are you cheating on me boy?"

'Yes, and she's lovely too. Dark hair, blue eyes. You'd love her,' Sesshoumaru thought to himself, unaware that he didn't sound as sarcastic as he planned.

Kagome sighed irritably, then shook her head. "You're a bad boy Chance. You scared me last night." She kneeled down to hug him, her scent revealing how relieved she really was. "Try really hard not to do that again," she told him, taking a moment to scratch an ear before stepping aside. Sesshoumaru glanced back at her, then licked her hand before walking inside.

---

SF: {::with Kagome::} Happy Birthday to us! Happy Birthday to us! Happy Birthday good golly! Happy Birthday to us!

Inu-chan: {::hands over his ears::} Somebody make it stop! It sounds like a neko being killed!

Sango: Shut up Inuyasha!

Miroku: Truly. You will not ruin this festive evening.

SF: Like he could! Look what I got! {::holds up a bottle of pina colada mix and a bottle of vodka::} Yeah baby!

Kagome: You're a lush!

SF: Thank you my dear! Now cut the cake! Just for those who care, I've managed to come up with a sort of blueprint of Kagome's condo. If you want it, holler at your girl and I'll email it to you. The review responses are below. Oh, and the next chapter should be out the 22nd of February. The title will be 'Confusions and Another Suitor'.

Responses:

Tranador: I ask that question about the anime series. To me, she's real dense there, but that's just my opinion. As a matter of fact, the villains of the series seem smarter than the good guys. That's a bad thing in my book. I promise to do better with the next update.

Jade Catseye: I'm glad you're loving it! Karma is a bitch with sharp teeth, I always say. Silver Fox: I thought you're ex said that. SF: Well, where do you think he got the inspiration for that statement? {::grins as males onstage shudder::} Anyway, Sesshou makes such a cute doggie! Have you seen the pics to this fic? I think they're two on mediaminer. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll email them to you.

White Deer: I don't think sleeping on his tail helps matters any. Sesshou: You're telling me. You know what would be satisfying? SF: {::grumbles::} Oh hell...{::to Sesshou::} What? Sesshou: This. {::rolls WD off his tail and pushes her under a table::} SF: Shame on you Sesshou! That wasn't very nice. Sesshou: Who said I was finished? I still have plans for a certain author. SF: Um, who would that....{::starts to back away::} Sesshou, why are you looking at me like {::pales when his eyes bleed red and bolts offstage::} This review is cut short due to Sesshou's sudden illness. Ja ne!

Sesshoumaru77: You're stories got deleted? All of them? Why? That sounds a little drastic, but then again, Fanfiction is becoming stranger by the day. Thanks for the spell-check compliment.

Lilfrozenfire: I know! I miss you! It must be a conspiracy! You poor dear. I'd die if a teacher followed me home...except for the really cute one that taught mythology. Now he was a mega-hottie. We're talking Legolas-hottie! {::clears throat::} Excuse me. Sorry about that. Anywho, good luck on your finals, and the PLAN.

Duke-of-Spades: I'm glad you didn't yell at me. I think I would have cried. I'm so sorry for falling asleep on this story. I'll try really hard not to let it happen again. Oh, and don't encourage the psycho. He's already a nut, and telling him to exact his sickness on a video game is- Silver Fox: The best idea to date. {::shrugs at SF::} What? Would you rather he act that way in real life? {::smirks at her shudder::} That's what I thought.

Glass Thorn: Thanks for the love! I've been kind of worried about him being in character, but I haven't received a complaint yet. I guess I'm on a role. Normally, I'd be flamed by now. Oh, but never mind that. Welcome to the archives, and remember to watch for the 'Miroku Escaped!' warnings.

HellzAznGrl: {::blushes::} Thanks so much. I'm glad you're enjoying the stories. Silver Fox: You know, fooling around with you, SF's going to end up with a big head. Inu-chan: Not like it isn't big already. {::he and Silver snicker::} >Zap!< SF: Jackasses. I'm coming with more updates as soon as possible.

Sukuri: I read that one. I thought you were talking about a different one where Kagome buys Sesshoumaru at an illegal slave trade in modern Japan. In that story, she's still traveling to the Feudal Era, and she only buys Sesshoumaru. To Bear's a rated R. Inuyasha's coming soon, and he'll slowly merge with the story. Kageroumaru is Kagome's cousin in this story because of how alike their names are. I don't know how you spell it, so any way's good with me. I'm so easy to please. Nope, I don't get a break. I wish I could. Thanks for saying I deserve one though. I'm going to have to talk to the boss about that break.

Anastassia: What was the name of it? I'm curious now, and I want to read. I'm glad you like mine, even if I've taken so long to update it. I'm shocked no one's mad at me. I didn't mean to take so long. Oh, and by the way, would you kiss Sesshou knowing that he recently had Naraku in his mouth?

Roh Talin: Sorry about taking so long! I had to give myself a deadline, and my birthday seemed to make the most sense. That way I can't forget to update. Thanks for the love!

Jazzylady: I hope you enjoyed the chapter, because I enjoyed writing it. I remember playing sax in the band. A girl beside me busted her lip on her mouthpiece trying to snap to attention. Poor thing had to have stitches.

AnImEfReAk81: {::passes over a green bucket::} Please, don't get sick on my stage. Sesshou would have a fit. Anywhen, I feel your pain. I had a nut that worked with me that liked to hug me. He said it was because I'm so small, fragile, and innocent. 0.0 Anyway, glad you liked the chapter. Sesshou's pissed about the whole poisonous bush thing. He'll live.

Suzuko: Thanks so much. Don't worry. Kagome's outsing the bush as we speak.

Sliver-Blue-eyes: Thanks a lot. I'm coming with more soon.

InuyashaGurl: I type when I'm tired too. The one thing you shouldn't do is type with a headache. Things will so not make sense once that bad boy goes away. Thanks for the love, and sorry about the January update. It's the only way I can remember to update.

Em Starcatcher: I know. Souta's such a bad boy. I'm sure my brother would do the same thing once I get an apartment. I'd kill him where he stood. Good luck on your finals.

Youkai Yume: You have no idea how weird it is to have to ask Silver's perverted tail for help! He's already planning all kinds of things for this story. {::gets on knees and begs Little Muse::} Please come back! Silver's going to ruin things! Silver Fox: I resent that. Little Muse: I don't know... SF: I'll do anything! Little Muse: Anything? {::SF nods::} You'll make sure that Santa brings my Barbie kitchen Christmas Eve? Inu-chan: What does a fire youkai need with a play kitchen? SF: {::slaps Inu-chan in the back of the head::} Of course! Anything! Just don't let Silver run rampant on this story! Little Muse: Alright. SF: Yay!!

Mistress Fluffy: Sesshou has one day where he becomes human not his normal self. He doesn't become the silver-haired tenshi that he is until the curse is broken. He does become a black-haired vision, with the same golden eyes, even if they're more hazel than golden. Did I just call Sesshou a tenshi?

BelleDayNight: Soo sorry about that. I'm glad you're going to make it. I'm so glad to be free! Thanks for the love!

Suzaku24: Thanks a lot. I'm glad you don't think I'm overdoing Sesshoumaru's reaction.

Familia-Ficz: You know, they say that the first step to a breakthrough is admitting that something is wrong. Yup, you can babysit, but beware. She gets a tad...excited at times. Like if her favorite cartoon comes on and you change the channel. Thanks for the realism vote too.

REDWOLF: Inu-chan: See, everyone's looking for me. SF: I realize, though I don't think they realize what kind of trouble they're asking for. Anyway, here he is- Inu-chan: Bout bloody time. SF: {::ignoring Inu-chan for the sake of the review::} Yup, Chance and Sesshoumaru are one and the same. Oh, and Inu-chan? Inu-chan: Yeah? (Can you believe how dense he is?) >Zap!<

Anggie-chan, NoLabel, Anonymous: Thanks a lot! I'm coming with more soon!

tinturnabby: That's a great example! At least, it works for me. If you want to see a picture of Chance, then check out the pic DN-C did on mediaminer. It's under my pen name.

Fire Phoenix: A friend of the family. I know, some friend huh? Anyway, his case and another are coming soon. Kouga's going to get some stage time, along with Inuyasha.

The Fallen Angel of Death: May I ask you a question? WHEN ARE YOU UPDATING?! I've waited at least two weeks on your story and I'm still waiting! You're hurting me here! Oh, um, back to your review: You're right about the love thing, but we all know that Sesshou's as stubborn as a mule. You know what they say- Silver Fox: You can lead a dog to water, but you can't make him think. SF: {::as Inu-chan and Sesshou jump up::} Oh shit...{::Inu-chan and Sesshou chase Silver offstage::} I knew that would happen. Well, later days!

Demi: Sesshoumaru turns human every full moon- Silver Fox: Much like your favorite author here. SF: I don't become human on the full moon. Silver Fox: But you stop being a bird and become like me. That's enough for me. SF: Why do I pay attention to you? Anyway, I'm coming with more soon, and I'm going to start updating better too.

MoonliteCrescndo: Silver is a real trip, but he does do the lemons for me. That makes him indispensable. I'm slow about things, I know, but I'm trying to do better.

Defafaeth Mechqua: Yeah, I know. And I just happen to agree with you.

Niamha: Thanks a lot. Sorry for the teaser. It was necessary. Finals went off without a hitch, and I survived. {::starts dancing as Destiny Child's 'Survivor' plays over the loudspeakers::}

Ash-chan: Yeah, he does find Kagome rather dense, but that'll change as the chapters go by.

GreenDragonSpirit: I don't know what it is with them. I mean, it's not like they have a hard job, or they're underpaid. The least they could do is behave themselves and get to work. Oh well. Thanks for the love and the review!

Clover X: That would be interesting. I've never thought about it that way. But if she finds out that Chance and Sesshoumaru are one and the same, then the curse sticks forever. So I guess that can't happen. Thanks for the love!

mkh2: You're absolutely right about that. If he'd have behaved himself 500 years ago, he wouldn't be so hard up (no pun intended). But that's a male for you. I don't understand the reviews thing myself. The few I received were deleted by hotmail. I wonder what's going on?

Kyu-bi: Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it! Welcome to the archives.

Tsuki no Tennyo: HEY YOU!!!! GET TO WORK OVER THERE!!!! You don't have time to read fanfiction when you have me on pause! Silver Fox: {::bops SF on top of the head like a fuzzy TV::} Be nice. She's reviewing, so try to be civil. SF: {::rubs quarter-sized lump on her head::} Alright then. {::proper British accent here::} Hi there darling. How are you? Thank you ever so much for reading this chapter. {::slips back::} NOW GET TO WORK!!! Silver Fox: {::sigh::} At least I tried...

Mintie: {::bows::} Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

Revis: Don't take him! {::grabs Sesshoumaru's arm::} I still need him! If you take him, I can't finish any of the stories! I'm glad you're enjoying this and {::starts to laugh evilly::} I've converted another one! Muhahahahahaha!

Delirium: If Sesshou ever strips and does the tango, be assured that I'm going to be selling tickets.

HebiYoukai: Did you hear? My muse decided to come back! No more hentai thoughts from Silver! Silver Fox: Hm! That's gratitude for you! SF: Anyway, thanks a lot for the review!

AnimeFan13, Hinoke, DianeFallahan, Alee-chan, Draca8u, Eidolon Griffin: Don't be sad! I'm writing another chapter soon!

Animeotaku55567: Thanks for the love! I thought Kagome as a social worker would be cool too! She just seems to be a regular kid magnet.

Meg: Thanks for the first, but I not entirely sure that this is an original. I'm pretty sure someone else thought of it first. Anywhen, before Silver starts on how I can't take a compliment, thanks so much. I'm coming with more soon. I think Kouga is in the next chapter.

Aleena: Please don't cry. If you start crying, Kagome will start, then Sango, then me and we'll just make a giant mess all over Sesshou's stage. You do not want to hear his mouth about that. Anyway, it's great to hear from you. I'm glad you're digging the stories so much, especially this one. This one has caused a great deal of stress. I sometimes wish I would've stuck with the original 'Beauty and the Beast' storyline, but not if so many people enjoy it so much. I'm coming with more soon.

Kagome: No flames yet, but I'm sure they're thinking of something totally evil to say. I'm coming with more soon. Kouga's in the next chapter, I think. I'll have to consult the Little Muse. She is in charge and all.

JamieGirl: Thanks so much, for the love and the originality vote!

Sweet Cherry Kisses: Are you serious? Damn it! The computer froze on your name or something. Sorry about that. I thought something looked strange. Don't worry about mean moments. I have them all the time. That's why Sesshou's human in this chapter, instead of waiting a few more chapters to do so.

Lanina Inverse: I know! I'm so terrible, but if I didn't schedule it for January then I would forget like last time and not update for an entire month. I don't want a repeat of that, especially with the guilt trip I got with it.

Lunatic Pandora1: I still am a big fan, though I've never read any of the fictions. It is a cool name though. Um, as far as the story goes, it's all up to the Little Muse. She seems to have this thing on lock.

Roxy0729: {::blushes and bows::} Thanks so much! I'm totally flattered. I'm glad you're digging the work.

White-Crystal: Thanks a lot! I can't wait either. Kagome: Um, SF? We have a problem. SF: What's that? Kagome: The 18th is on a Sunday. SF: ....... {::crickets start to chirp, then:} OH SHIT!!! NO ALCOHOL!! {::starts to cry, grumbling about her state's blue laws::} Kagome: It's alright SF. Don't worry, she'll be fine in a few.

BabyMar-Mar: No, Kagome's still going to keep him. She feels responsible for him, and that's why she feels so guilty when he gets hurt.

Kagome04: Thanks a lot! I'll try to speed up the chapters a little.

Kagome333: I know! I can't believe it myself! This story has zero structure, so I'm shocked it's doing so well. Thanks for the review and I'll try to update the next chapter faster.

Fanficlunatic234: Calm down! I haven't forgotten about you guys! I just have a lot to do now that I'm out of school and working. I'm coming with another chapter soon.

Sa: I'm glad it did. It got a lot of people thinking, which in turn will help someone in the future. I'm glad to have cause such a stir, even if it did whiten some hair that I might have needed.

Rosie: So sorry about taking so long to update. I didn't mean to go to sleep on this story. It's kinda hard, b3ecause the muses and I have to think of a new chapter before we type one. We have no idea how this story is going to end.

Midori Mizu: Big cheers to you! I miss the four day weekends already, and I've only been out of college 2m weeks (if you don't count Christmas break).

Lady Fire87: Thanks so much! I can't wait to see how they turn out too, since I never know what the next chapter's going to entail until the reviews.

Mimi: That's kinda where the inspiration for this story came from. Inu-chan: Yeah, she just warped the holy hell out of it. SF: And who asked you! Anyway, sorry for taking so long. I'm going to try to be on time with the updates.

Kawaii Little Rin-chan: No worries. I'm trying to think of the next chapter as we speak.

Vet-to-be: Thanks a lot for the Sesshoumaru comment. I hope you still think so after this chapter. Sesshoumaru's human side is a lot like Inuyasha's, where he tends to be a little softer than his normal 29 days.

Yamiyumetenshi: Yeah, they tend to be a little drawn out. I think its because I tend to forget where I want to go with them, then it hits me by the middle of the story. Anyway, thanks a lot and I hope you like the new chapter.