InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Secrets Beneath the Surface ❯ Shackled to the Truth ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Umm, still don't own Inuyasha, but it is on my wish list…#1-right above world domination!!!
Secrets Beneath the Surface
 
Shackled to the Truth
 
Kagome sniffled, still lying on the cold, hard ground, her head pressed to the only thing that marked her mother having ever made her way into the world. She felt the wind whipping around her, causing minute strands of silken black hair to stick to the wet trails that meandered down her cheeks. She had stopped crying, and instead, had succumbed to the throws of self pity and utter despair. She closed her eyes, wishing she never had to open them again, and review the disparity of her situation; the disparity of what she now had to do…to save him.
She lay there, possibly for hours, with no need or wish to get up. She wished for, begged for, sleep to claim her, but she couldn't even seem to keep her eyes closed without seeing his face. So, all cried out at the moment, she lay there. And it was there, all but spent emotionally and physically, where Sango found her.
Without a word, the young woman gathered her broken friend in her arms and took her to her car, depositing her gently in the passenger's seat before claiming the wheel and pulling away from the cemetery.
For the most part, the ride to Sango's apartment was silent, but as they pulled up to the complex the women made no attempt to take off their seat belts and exit the car. Kagome stared out her window, knowing it would have to be her that broke the silence. “How did you know where to find me?” Kagome asked, her voice barely above a whisper. “Miroku called me soon after you resigned your position. He was worried about your safety; he said you didn't seem to be yourself. It comes in handy being the principal's wife, ya know.” Sango replied just as quietly.
Kagome felt the constricting of her throat, signaling that more tears were on the way. Without any sort of warning or sign, Kagome flung her body at her friend, whose arms were already spread wide open to receive her. “Oh, Sango! I just don't know what I can do!” she blubbered on and on. “I'm a horrible person, and now I'm paying for my sins!” she cried, her voice muffled by the thick material of Sango's shirt. Sango sat there, staring mystified at her friend. Never, in all her life, for that was how long they had had known each other, had Kagome cried like this. Sango rubbed comforting circles along her quivering back, whispering little nonsensical words in her ear, finding herself unable to do anything else.
Finally, the crying ceased, and Kagome struggled to sit up. “I'm sorry Sango.” She said, staring at the car's upholstery. Sango gave a soft, reassuring smile as she patted Kagome's arm comfortingly, “Don't fret about it Kagome; I'm sure everything will be okay.” Kagome shook her head as she unbuckled her seat belt and made to get out of the car. “Nothing's okay, Sango, and at this point, I'm not sure if it ever will be.
 
****************************************************************< /div>
It wasn't much later that Kagome was found sitting in Sango's and Miroku's living room on their leather couch, in an overly large t-shirt of Sango's and a pair of shorts, wrapped in a blanket, and staring blankly at the dark TV screen. The tear drawn tracks down her face had been washed off, and her hair had been thrown into a careless ponytail that hung limply down her back. Small noises could be heard in the adjoined kitchen as Sango prepared something for dinner.
Kagome drew her knees to her chest, her stomach clenching painfully at even the thought of food, yet she felt like she could have eaten a horse. Sango entered the room, balancing a tray laden with two steaming bowls and a side dish of saltine crackers. Kagome's nails bit into her calves as she fought back the nausea that was inching its way up her esophagus and into the back of her throat, but the build up of bitter bile that filled her mouth proved to be too much. She ran to the bathroom, only pausing to throw open the door and toss the toilet seat up in one frantic move. Anything that had made its way into her mouth that day, had just found it's way back out.
Kagome leaned back against the wall, her breathing frantic. She turned her head slightly to where her friend was standing in the doorway, a look of pure worry marked on her face. “Sango, there's something we need to talk about. It's something I should have told you a long time ago.”
With the aid of Sango, they slowly made it back to the living room. Sango quickly did away with the soup and came back with a soothing cup of tea. After taking a tentative sip, Kagome looked up into the expecting eyes of her best friend. “Four years, Sango. I've been with a married man for four years.” Kagome looked away, afraid of the disgust she knew would be in her friend's eyes. She wiped away the stray tear that slid its way halfway down her cheek. She closed her eyes and gulped, terrified of how her friend would react to her next sentence. “And now Sango…Sango, I'm pregnant.” Kagome tensed, ready for Sango to kick her out, shout at her, or tell her what a whore she was for being a part of such an action. When nothing came she took a deep breath and continued; she knew she wasn't out of the woods just yet. “Sango, I'm pregnant with Sesshoumaru's child…again.” This spurred some action out of Sango, who stood from her chair and walked over to the couch were Kagome lay prostrate. “Kagome, what do you mean again?” The calm sentence had a huge impact on Kagome and she began to cry again. “Sango…” she cried through her sobs, “Rin…Rin is my daughter…”
 
**************************************************************
Meanwhile…
 
“Rin?” Kagura's voice rang through the halls, loud and clear. A little red blur shot out of a room and latched itself to Kagura's leg. Kagura gently peeled her off and squatted at the girl's level. She held out a small glass of green liquid, a green, hazy steam rising from its top. “Okay, Rin, you know what time it is.” She said as the child grabbed on to the glass with her small hands and looked down at it in disgust.
“But mama, I hate this stuff…” she complained as she made a face and held the glass at arms length. Kagura stood and gave Rin a reproachful glare. You've been drinking this since you were born; besides, all your friends will make fun of you if you don't drink your potion.” Kagura chastised. Rin took a deep breath and screwed her eyes tightly shut before quickly downing the liquid. Kagura grabbed the glass and patted the child's head, “Now, that's a good girl. Go play with your toys, and Rin?” the child turned around at her mother's acknowledgement. Rin sighed, “I know mama; I know. I won't tell daddy.
Rin turned back around and sped back into her room; leaving no one to witness the unsettling smile that stretched over the demoness' face.
 
************************************************************
Sango didn't know what to say, and she was too shocked to even comfort Kagome's sobbing form. Finally, Sango laid a thoughtful hand on Kagome's shoulder. “Kagome, I've known Sesshoumaru and Kagura as long as you have. Rin's a full demon; I'm her pediatrician, so I should know.
Kagome calmed herself before replying. I got pregnant before Sesshoumaru and I broke up, but I wanted him to be happy, not attached to me because of a child. Kagura got pregnant after I did, but since hanyou pregnancies last longer than demon, we were due along the same time. Kagura lost her baby; she was reckless. She knew I was pregnant with Sesshoumaru's, and she sought me out. She said…” she fought back the tears at the memory.
 
***Flashback***
 
“Kagura, what are you doing here.” Kagome asked, more than a little stunned at the woman's sudden appearance. She rested a hand on her slightly distended stomach in an almost protective manner. Kagura invited herself in, glancing around the small apartment and its paltry furnishings. Her eyes flickered back to Kagome, and she pointed an accusing finger at her. “You!” she sneered, advancing on the frightened woman. “You have no right to carry a child of Sesshoumaru's!” she shouted, backing Kagome into a wall.
Kagura slapped the shaking onna, sending her head to the side and leaving three long claw marks across the span of her left cheek. Kagome felt the sting of salt on her fresh wounds as she began to cry. Kagura sneered, “Besides, what can you offer the child; it would be a bastard child.” She spat out her next words, “A hanyou.”
Kagome flinched at the hate inflicted words the demon had thrown at her. The pregnancy had been tough on her, and the stress at the current moment was tearing her apart.
Kagura thought for a moment before a grin stretched across her face, “I'll tell you what, Kagome. I'll take your child in. She'll have a family. It is a girl by the way in case you had no idea. She'll have her Daddy that will love her like his own. Oh, silly me, she is his own. Oh, but she will be raised as my daughter. It will be as if I actually gave birth to the little dumpling myself. Have I made myself clear? Oh, and none of this will reach Sesshoumaru. I mean, think about this Kagome, you get what you want; Sesshoumaru's reputation stays whole because he won't have any unclaimed children running around, and he gets a family. Isn't that what you want?” Kagura leaned over Kagome's shaking form, running her sharp claw across the woman's unscathed cheek, causing little beads of blood to bubble to the surface. Kagome wordlessly slipped to the floor, her pain and discomfort momentarily forgotten. Isn't that what she wanted? Yes. Yes it was. She loved Sesshoumaru, and if it meant enduring pain to make him and the woman he loved happy, then she would do it. Besides, as Kagura already pointed out, what did she have to give a child that Sesshoumaru couldn't offer ten fold.
Kagome closed her eyes and allowed the tears to overflow, “Yes Kagura that is what I want.”
Kagura narrowed her eyes and grinned, “Good, that's what I thought.” She said before, without another word, she left Kagome alone, shutting the door behind her and shutting out the sounds of the shuddering sobs that followed.
 
Sango gasped, “Kagome that's horrible!” Kagome ignored her friend's comment, instead, forcing herself to push forward in her story in fear that she would be unable to complete it if she stopped. “Somehow she was able to get Sesshoumaru to believe she was pregnant. I was forbidden to tell anyone of the exchange. I gave birth alone, and watched as Kagura wallowed in Sesshoumaru's happiness. I stayed in touch just enough that my presence went unnoticed, but I was in the picture for all of the points important in a child's life. Nobody knows it, but I was there, have been there for Rin since her birth.”
Sango paused, “Kagome, how come Rin isn't a hanyou? I mean if you are her mother shouldn't she have at least some human characteristics?” Kagome grinned sadly, “She does, but Kagura gives her a serum once every month that takes away that problem.”
Sango took a deep breath, ready to voice the most important question of them all. “Kagome, what do you plan to do now.”
Kagome slowly sat up and gripped her friend's hands in her own. “Sango, I can't stay here. I know Sesshoumaru won't stay away. I've talked to Souta; you know he's at school in America, right?” Sango nodded. “Well, I thought I might just stay out there with him until something comes up. He says there's an opening in the apartment complex he lives at. In fact, he's already reserved the room next to his for me. There's even a daycare not far from the complex that is looking for help. I thought I would try to look for work there.” Kagome held her friend's hands tighter. “You know I have to do this, right?
Kagome could see the tears brimming Sango's eyes, but gave a sigh of relief when she nodded in compliance. “I understand.” Kagome smiled, “Good, I knew you'd understand.” She rose shakily to her feet. “Come on then; you can help me pack. I'm only taking the necessities and nothing more.”
The two women made their way towards the door, only pausing long enough for Sango to gather up her purse and keys. Slowly, they made their way down the hall; arms thrown across one another's shoulders, leaning on each other for support. Sango fought for control of the tears that so desperately wanted to fall, but the knowledge that Kagome needed her to be strong at the moment made her emotions second fiddle. She would cry later, when the suitcases were packed and the plane had lift off; she would cry when she had a reason to cry, but right now, Kagome was by her side, and as long as this was true, there would be no reason to cry.
 
Author's Note: Yay! Another chapter! I hope you all love this story because I love to write it! I want to pose a question, the first person to get it right, gets the next chapter dedicated to them. The question is: What phrase is the title referring to? And you can't just leave a guess; you have to say something about the story or else the guess won't count. To answer a question I was asked, no, I have not forgotten about Until Death. In fact, once this is posted I think I'll work on it for a while. Please tell me what you think about this chapter with a review, and, of course, take a stab at the question if you think you know the answer. I can always use criticism or ideas. I'll also answer any questions you have about the story as long as it doesn't ruin any upcoming surprises! This is my longest update yet! Please Review!