InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Seimei no Kakera: Shards of Life ❯ Herself ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Apart from merchandise with his logo, I do not own Inu-Yasha.

Author's Note: After finding myself hooked on them, I've decided to start my own little ficlet corner (500 words or less in each installment) for my baby ideas that I don't have time to nurse into full blown plot lines. ^_~ They will have no rhyme or reason or order- some may be AU, others not. I just felt like this would be fun to try. ^_^

Please enjoy!

-


"HERSELF"

-

He had done everything he could. Every little thing possible to prevent this! He had told her mother. He had warned the others. He had destroyed her knives. He had taken away her scissors- her paper, too, just in case. He had kept her constantly by his side since he had discovered her problem and had even gone so far as to clip his talons!

But it had all been in vain. . .

"Kagome!" he screamed, roughly shaking her pale form as she blinked blearily up at him; sweat pouring down her face.

"I. . . nu. . . ya. . . sha. . ." she breathed, blood gushing from her small body as her brittle grip on her now-red hair pin faltered, allowing it to drop and roll away. "I'm. . . so sorry. . . I. . . couldn't help. . . it. . ." She laughed weakly- the sound less than that of a puff of air as she glanced painfully down at her wound. "I. . . guess I. . . cut too deep. . ."

"Kagome, you IDIOT!" the hanyou barked, tears blinding him as he fruitlessly tried to stop the bleeding, putting so much pressure on her cuts that he was afraid he'd break her arms. "Why didn't you LISTEN TO ME?!"

She simply smiled- the tiniest, most pathetic of all grins. "You. . . wouldn't understand. . . Inu. . . Yasha. . ."

At that, Sango ushered a confused and horrified Shippo away as Miroku held his breath, heart frozen. The girl- the lively, happy, cheerful girl from the future- was about to leave forever. And it wasn't even the well's fault. `Kagome-sama is going to die,' he realized blankly, unable to comprehend the fact. She had punctured the arteries in both of her wrists. . . it was impossible for her to do anything but die. He silently prepared to pray for her soul, blinking his own sorrow away.

"Kagome!" Inu-Yasha continued to bellow, his tears splattering on her cheeks. "KAGOME!"

"So. . . sorry. . ." she whispered again, eyes clouded and half shut as she took her final, shaking breath- - -

And then perished in her love's arms.

"N- no. . ." the hald demon choked, eyes wide as he continued to shake the lifeless form. "NO! KAGOME, GOD DAMMIT, WAKE UP!"

But she didn't.

And it was then that, for the first time, he came to grips with the deadly truth. He could save Kagome from anything. Anything! From youkai and oni to bullies and thugs. Heck- he could even save her from sickness, starving, and dehydration. He had before- many, many times.


Yes, he could save Kagome from anything.

Anything. . . but herself.

-