InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow In Her Midst ❯ Just a Thought ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

SHADOW IN HER MIDST

By L.O. a.k.a. azn_otaku

InuYasha Fanfiction

~##~

A/N: I know, I know. I really shouldn't be starting another fanfic at this time. I keep looking at my two works, Sunshine and Miko. I'm so proud of them! But really, this idea popped into my mind and would not let me go until I had at least planned it out. Got an entire extensive outline and everything. It's a pretty simple story, a little sad and then a little happy. I'm going for short chapters here, though not has short as the prologue. So these chapters might come out faster than the Sunshine and Miko chapters, because there won't be as much in each one! Hopefully. So anyways, I hope you all enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: This will go for the entire series. InuYasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi, and no one else. Not even little old me!

~##~

"......" Dialogue

[.......] Thoughts

~##~

Prologue: Just a Thought

~##~

August 18, 2000

It was when I was in the third grade, you know, the time when you are the most innocent. I had my loving mother, my corny grandfather, my cute baby brother Souta. And I had my friend Sango, we had lived next door to each other since we were babies. Our mothers had been high school chums and all that. We were born a month apart. But it was in the third grade that I had that happen to me.

You really don't know what you miss until it's gone. That may just be me spouting out old sayings, but I really believe it's true. I never truly knew what I had, until they went away. My mother, my grandfather, Souta. They all left me just like that. In third grade.

I'm scared of cars. They really frighten me, for some reason. They take people's lives away.

I had been put in an orphanage with all those other kids that had been abandoned just like me. The owner of The Sunset Home for Kids was Kaede-obaasan. She's like a grandmother to me. I still visit her even now. We were always close, as she was the one that raised me.

I still talked with Sango, even then. Even after being placed in a new institution, she was close enough so that we were able to play together often. We had even gone to the same school up until second semester of seventh grade. Her parents were like my aunt and uncle. It was at the start of second semester of seventh grade when I this happen to me.

Ms. Shikon was really nice when I had met her. She had looked at me with a kind smile, and outstretched hands. Who was I kidding? I had wanted a family so very badly, you see. You couldn't know what it was like, longing for something that had never been. I had gone to sleep every night with the feeling of my birth mother's hands wrapped around my small body. Kaede-obaasan was great, but she wasn't my okaasan. I had wanted a mother so very, very badly.

So I went with Ms. Shikon.

She was a widower, her husband had died early on. She was lonely. She had no kids.

Scratch that.

Okay, so she had a daughter that was a year older than me. But this daughter, Kikyou is her name, had been in a coma since seventh grade. You know, when I was in the sixth grade. Something about a car crash. It took a year for Ms. Shikon to recover from the loss, she was very much infatuated with her daughter. But she had seen me walking on the streets with Sango one day. And she had seen me walk in to Sunset. She had inquired with Kaede and we met the next day. I looked a lot like Kikyou, you see. She thought I looked so much like her daughter who was in a coma.

I should have seen the signs, now that I look back. She wasn't looking at me. Not really.

She was looking at Kikyou.

It has been a year and a half. I'll be starting ninth grade tomorrow. I'll probably be calling Sango in the morning, before we start school. It's tradition. I have my bag laid out, notebooks, pencils, paper, everything a good student should have. I have to be good, you see. Kikyou was a good girl. I am always reminded of how she was so good. I have to make sure I live up to that standard.

My mother, she is still looking at Kikyou.

-Kagome

~##~

A/N: What did you think so far? I'm thinking of posting the first chapter some time this weekend. I would really like some reviews though. Reviews would be good. Is everything understandable?

~##~

JAPANESE DICTIONARY

Obaasan - Grandmother

Okaasan - Mother

~##~