InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow In Her Midst ❯ My Cheerful Nature ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

SHADOW IN HER MIDST

By L.O. a.k.a. azn_otaku

InuYasha Fanfiction

~##~

A/N: I take it some of you enjoyed the prologue. I know that there are a lot of InuYasha fics coming out, and that some people will just skip by mine because they will assume it's just like all the others. I'm happy that some of you don't! Thank you for reading and I hope I don't disappoint.

Reader Responses:

KNE: Glad you like this so far!

Issa-chan: I'm updating! And after only a day too. Let's hope I keep the other chapters coming out just as fast, ne?

Three-Letter-Word: Glad you like the idea. I was a bit inspired, I'll admit, by Time Stranger Kyoko. Don't ask me how I got this idea from that, I just did. ^__^

Girl-who-sings-the-blues: There will be some angst here, can you tell? And yes, I have read I.N.V.U. I really like that, do you? Kagome meets InuYasha in this chapter, although they won't really interact all that much until about chapter three or so. Miroku and Kouga will be introduced here as well. And Sesshoumaru will be in chapter three I think.

Thank you all for reviewing! I hope to see more comments in the near future...

~##~

"....." Dialogue

[.....] Thoughts

~##~

Chapter One: My Cheerful Nature

~##~

[I'm not so sure about this. But then again, this is everything I've always wanted.]

"Yeah, I'll be okay."

//Are you sure? This is high school we're talking about.//

"I've been to school without you there before, Sango."

I wrestled with the new pair of pants that my mother had bought me a week ago. I had been waiting for a chance to wear them, they were baggy with large pockets. Perfect to put a lot of stuff in.

[First day of high school. A big event.]

To be honest, I felt a little honest, no matter what I told Sango. We were on the phone, getting ready together. Once I had gotten adopted, I had to move in with Ms. Shikon. She lived farther away. I started to go to a different Junior High. Now I'll be starting the high school experience, in a place without Sango. It would be scary.

//Well alright. Just be strong, okay?//

She really doesn't need to worry so much. But that's why I'm such good friends with Sango, she knows me inside out. After all, we were born together. We've celebrated our birthdays every single year together. One year we would celebrate on her birthday. The next, mine. It was tradition.

"What are you wearing today? Kaasan got me this cool black top."

Okay, so my taste in clothes was a little weird. Kaasan is always going on about what Kikyou would wear. Apparently she had been the prep queen of the century. No matter how much I try to be like her, I couldn't ever wear small tees. I just get so uncomfortable in them. So when we went shopping the other day, my mother had bought me this really sweet black shirt with silver patterns curling up the sleeves. I even got a black choker to match. It's not goth or anything, but I thought it was quite elegant.

//Mom and I went out to get me my annual stash of hoodies.//

"More? You've got like fourteen already."

//Well, we didn't buy ALL hoodies. I got more jerseys too. And some boots.//

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a punker or a skater or anything like that. Me and Sango, we've always put our comfort before appearance. She adored large, baggy sweatshirts and oversized, colorful jerseys. She was really athletic too. The only thing I'm decent at is archery, and that's because Kikyou was good at it so I had taken up lessons. I really like baggy cargo pants, army pants...any type of large pants. And I like gaudy jewelry, and funky accessories. And then there's the thing with the striped socks. I really, really like striped socks. Fashion is the one thing my mother can't change.

[Even if I'm scared, I know that I wouldn't want to be stuck in that orphanage again. I'd rather be going to a different high school, with a family, than go to the same high school as Sango and have no parents.]

"Dear! Breakfast is on the table!"

"Oh, that's Kaasan. I'll talk to you later, okay Sango?"

//Sure thing. Call me after school!//

When I got downstairs, my kaasan looked me over. She had that sort of look in her eyes, the disappointed look.

"Dear, are you sure another outfit would be nicer? I'm sure Kikyou would have-"

"It's okay. I like this."

I rushed through breakfast. I didn't want to hear more from Kaasan. I wanted her to love me, so I tried not to backtalk to her. Actually, I've always consented to what she said. Anything I didn't want to do, I changed the subject. Pretty pathetic, huh? I suppose that's what I get for wanting a family.

Sango was worried about me for a reason this morning. Lately she's always afraid I'm going to go break down or something without her there to cheer me up. She's the only one that can actually tell that the front I put up in front of other kids is merely that...a front. I was one of the most cheerful students at my last Junior High, even though I never really had friends. I had entered that school when second semester started, the new school without Sango. No one knew me and for a year and a half, I had remained the outcast. But it was okay with me, I just tried to be the good girl. I had gotten straight A's, and my archery instructor called me her angel. Only Sango knew that I had started to cry at night this summer.

"I'm off! Bye Kaasan, see you after school!"

"Bye dear, do well in your classes!"

My mother loves me very much. I keep telling myself that, so that I won't cry.

Kikyou never cried.

~##~

The school grounds were crowded, the doors didn't open until fifteen minutes till class started. The incoming freshmen were huddled in groups, scared and naïve. The sophomores and upperclassmen hung about with their friends, enjoying the last minutes of freedom. A particular group of three Junior guys were the center of attention for many of the females. They hung about on one of the side entrances, the leader of the gang sitting on the stone wall next to the steps. He had long silver hair, and unusual golden amber eyes. His ears perked at the juvenile comments coming from his two companions.

"Check out that one, I bet she stuffs."

"Ooh, see the one looking over here? Think she's hot?"

The two other guys both had black hair and in ponytails. The difference was that one of them had short hair with his ponytail low on his head. The other had rougher looks and long hair, tied high up. They sat on the steps to stare at the new freshmen girls.

"Don't you guys ever quit? This is a waste of time."

"Aw c'mon InuYasha, just because you can get any girl in the school doesn't mean you have to be mean about it." The guy with the short black hair and deep violet eyes looked up at his friend with a leery smile. InuYasha only stared back at him incredulously.

"You're just as popular Miroku. It's not that big a deal."

Miroku only grinned wider, "But I have a feeling that this year is going to be my year," He turned to the other boy next to him, "Eh, Kouga?"

Kouga shrugged, "Either way you see it, the freshmen this year all have such beautiful asses."

"Well put my friend, well put."

"Feh!"

InuYasha scanned the crowds before snorting, "You guys are freaking nuts." He folded his arms and leaned back against the wall of the school building. His eyes stopped on one girl that didn't seem to be in a hurry to join the forming groups of freshmen friends. She looked about with a smile, even though no one talked to her.

"What about her? The one by herself?"

Miroku craned his head to look, "Eh? Her?" He turned to stare up at her friend, "You like her? She's gorgeous."

"Feh! I did not say I liked her!" His cheeks gained a slight blush, "I just asked you what you thought!"

Kouga grinned, "InuYasha's interested in a girl. Never thought that'd happen," He looked at the girl again and let out a low whistle, "Still, I do have to say...when he picks `em, he picks `em."

"Let's call her over," Miroku stood up and tugged at his shirt. He waved to the girl, gesturing her to come to their corner. She gave him a curious look before hefting her backpack over one shoulder and striding over.

"Hey, what's you're name? My friend here is interested."

"I am not! Jesus Christ, what's your problem Miroku?!"

Said boy smiled, "You need more friends InuYasha. Be quiet."

The girl stared at the two and then at Kouga. She blinked before smiling and holding out her hand. She was really beautiful, with good length raven black hair and crystal clear eyes that were a mix of gray and blue. Her form was petite, graceful and bouncy.

"Ohayo! Lovely day, isn't it? My name is Kagome. And you are...?"

"Miroku. Pleasure to meet you Kagome. This is Kouga and Inuyasha." He stepped back to let her shake hands with Kouga.

"Top `o the morning to you all!" She nodded up to InuYasha. He only glared at her before sniffing and turning his head away. Her forehead gained only a small tick mark before it vanished and she sat down next to Kouga to converse.

"What year are you all?"

"Juniors. I take it you're a freshman?"

"Yup! First year in high school, I'm excited."

The bell ran suddenly. Kagome's head shot up, she stood up and dusted herself off. Her large eyes smiled at them before she hopped down the steps.

"It was nice to meet you all, maybe I'll see you around?"

"Likewise. If you see any of us, give us a holler."

"Will do!"

Miroku and Kouga watched as Kagome walked off before turning to go themselves. They all had the same first period. Kouga turned to InuYasha and grinned.

"What did you think? She was cheerful enough for the two of you combined."

"Feh, she was just another stupid wench. The school's full of them."

Miroku shook his head before smiling, "I beg to differ. Kagome was a little more outgoing that the others. And she didn't act as giggly around you as the rest of them would have. Those are rather admirable traits."

"Whatever. Let's just get to class."

~##~

August 19, 2003

Well, I survived my first day of high school. Sango survived hers too. Hojo got a girlfriend right off the bat, good for him! Do you remember him? He's the guy that had a crush on me for so long when I was still going to the same school as those guys. Naraku and Kagura told Sango to tell me hi. It's really nice, to think back to those days at times.

Sometimes, it just gets depressing.

I met some guys today, Juniors. They were really nice, except for the white-haired one. InuYasha, I think. He seemed distant. Even though he acted really loud and angry. I could tell he tried to push others away. But the others were friendly enough, maybe I'll actually have someone to talk to at school this year? I didn't really have many people close to me last year. I mean, I tried and all that...

But let's not go there.

Anyways, my teachers were really nice. I thought Myouga-san was quite eccentric, but I like him. I think I'm going to have a lot of good stories of his class to tell Shippou and Rin when I visit Sunset this weekend. For some reason they really like listening to me talk! Sango can't come this week though, she's got a basketball game scheduled. She's not on a real team or anything, but she plays at that court in the park for whichever group gives her the best bribes. She isn't the queen of the hoops for nothing. The only school sport she really participates in is track. I can't see where she gets her stamina for all that exercise.

I'm doing pretty good so far. I think the classes will be manageable. I was worried at first, because high school is such a big thing, but I'll be able to handle the work load. I've also got to fit time in for visits to Sunset, hanging out with Sango, and visits to the hospital. Kaasan also scheduled something for this Saturday. We're going to go watch over Kikyou a bit. I'm to bring a book to read to her.

She's really growing into a beautiful woman, Kikyou. At least that's what Kaasan says. And she bets that Kikyou would have been the girl to take everyone's breath away at my high school. I didn't know what to say to that, so I just agreed with her. Sometimes, I don't know what to say to her Kikyou talks. I don't mean to be rude to her or anything though. I just feel a little...I don't know. Weird.

Oh yeah...one last thing.

Kaasan called my Kikyou again today.

-Kagome

~##~

A/N: What did you think? If you guys like this story, whether it be for the sadness or whatever, try out "Miko"! It's my InuYasha/Trigun crossover. Believe me, the stories don't sound like they'd mix, but I rather like what I've done. And I've gotten good reviews so far so it must be a good sign, right? This is just a little self-promotion here. And if you do happen to read "Miko" and you do like it enough, send me a review!

~##~

JAPANESE DICTIONARY

Kaasan - Mother

Ohayo - Good Morning

-San - Suffix used for someone older than you or someone you respect.

~##~