InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shattered Memories ❯ The jewel reforms ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Naraku's tentacle lashed out, coming to a crash into the ground as Inuyasha and Sesshomaru deftly dodged the tentacle. Each brother landed unscathed to either side of the impact point. Sango and Miroku, both injured by the battle, sat off to the side guarded over by Shippo and Kagome. Seeing the tide of battle changing towards the worst, Kagome stood and grabbed her bow, rushing off to the aid of the demon brothers.
 
Notching an arrow while Naraku was distracted by the brothers, Kagome sensed for the jewel shard embedded within his body. Aiming her shot near the jewel, but far enough away not to cause damage to the jewel - again, she took a deep breath as she concentrated her power into the arrow.
 
“NARAKU!!!!! It ends now!” Kagome screamed as she released her arrow.
 
Naraku's head spun towards her as his eyes grew wide at the sight of her glowing arrow bearing down upon him. Taking the opportunity of his distraction, Inuyasha released his wind scar as Sesshomaru unleashed the fury of his Tokijin as well. The two attacks crossed at Naraku's body as it was blasted into too many pieces to count.
 
As the pieces of Naraku's body launched into the air, a glisten in the sky caught Sesshomaru's attention. Lashing out his poison whip, he wrapped it around the source and pulled it back to him. The instant the jewel shards hit his hand, Naraku's body ceased its reforming, as half of his body came together and a defeated Naraku lay before the group. Naraku lay helpless as the five fighters walked towards what remained of his body. Sitting before them on the ground, Naraku only existed from the waist up, and only one armed at that.
 
“Naraku, may you suffer as you have caused my family to suffer.” reaching, for the last time for his prayer beads, Miroku released his kazana from its imprisonment and engulfed all that remained of Naraku - every last scrap.
 
As the last pieces of Naraku's body entered into the wind tunnel, the winds ceased and the scar that had marred Miroku's hand since the day of his birth disappeared. Tears fell from his eyes as he stared down at his freed hand as the weight of the curse lifted off of his body.
 
“With the abomination gone, my work here is done. Priestess, I believe this belongs to you.” Sesshomaru approached Kagome as he placed Naraku's half of the jewel in her hand. Turning without another word, he summoned his cloud and glided off and out of sight.
 
“It's really over.” Kagome smiled as she took the jewel around her neck into her other hand and looked to her friends as she brought the two together.
 
A flash of pink light engulfed the area as the two halves joined together. As the light subsided, the glow merely emanated from Kagome's hands. Looking down at the glow, all four adults watched as the jewel flew into the air before Kagome. The pink light grew as it took the form of the priestess Midoriko. Smiling at Kagome, she spoke.
 
“You have done well young priestess. The jewel is completed once again, and it is now time for your journey to end.”
 
“What do you - ”
 
Before Kagome could even finish her question, Midoriko had raised her hand towards her and Kagome fell to the ground unconscious.
 
“You bitch! What have you done to her?!” Inuyasha bellowed as he rushed to Kagome's side. Yet as he reached her, a bright pink light engulfed her body and he was held at a distance. “What is going on?!”
 
“If she remains in this time all of the future will be affected and it will change. Not only that, but the future must not know of the incidents that have come to pass.”
 
The bright light around Kagome dissipated but as it did, Kagome's form was nowhere to be seen.
 
“Where did she go?” Sango rushed forward to the priestess, tears forming in her eyes.
 
“She has been sent home. Her memories of this time have been blocked and the link to the two worlds disappeared with her. This world is as it should be once again. Your group has done well and you have completed what you set out to do. I thank you again.”
 
With that the priestess too disappeared and the jewel fell to the earth, lifeless.
 
Sango walked forward and picked up the jewel as she turned to look at Inuyasha, who had fallen to his knees on the ground where Kagome had been but moments ago.
 
“Inuyasha?” Miroku cautiously called as he approached his demon friend.
 
“She's gone.”
 
“NO!!!!!” Shippo screamed, as the young child off to the side finally stepped forward. Launching at Inuyasha's head, the kitsune began assaulting the inu-demon's ears. “BRING HER BACK! YOU HAVE TO BRING HER BACK!!!!!”
 
“Shippo stop!” Sango ran forward, peeling the kitsune off of the seemingly lifeless Inuyasha. Holding the kitsune close, her shirt was instantly wet as Shippo sobbed into her chest.
 
“Here Inuyasha” She whispered as she handed the jewel down to him.
 
Emotionless, he reached a hand upward and took the jewel out of her hands. His voice, as devoid of emotion as his face, broke the silence - barely audible on the wind. “There's only one wish to make.”
 
Closing his eyes, he held the jewel tight as tears fell down his cheeks. Bring her back! Bring Kagome back to me!
 
The jewel burst forth in light, causing the rest of the group to shield their eyes. The light fell as quick as it came forth, but as they opened their eyes they found no change accept a voice issuing forth from the jewel.
 
“I told you all, the girl had to return to her time. That was the last task she had left to fulfill from the moment she entered this time. She cannot and will not return. She does not remember this time nor any of you.”
Tears flowed from Inuyasha's eyes as he stared at the plot of land where Kagome disappeared from. “KAGOME!!!!!!!!” Inuyasha's screams issued forth into the darkening sky as the rest of the group looked away, unable to see their comrade in this condition.
 
A bright light flashed in Kagome's room, bringing the attention of her entire family from their dinner and causing them to rush up the stairs.
 
Souta, reaching the door first threw it open and rushed into the room. Taking in the sight before him, he fell to a halt, causing his grandfather and mother to run into his back.
 
Lying on her bed, unconscious, was Kagome. Uniform gone, instead in her pajamas with a damp wash cloth on her head. Groaning awake, Souta cautiously took a step forward.
 
“Sis?”
 
Coughing lightly Kagome looked up at her family with a weak smile.
 
“Souta, could you go get me some more cough syrup? I really need to get rid of this cold so I can go back to school tomorrow. I really need to catch up on the work I missed these past few days and can't afford to miss anymore school. I need to get into college after all right? Entrance exams are only a matter of months away.”
 
“Kagome dear? When did you get back? Did Inuyasha bring you home?”
 
“Mom what are you talking about? Back from where? And who is Inuyasha?”
 
The family merely gawked at the girl before them as she sat up in bed and walked over to her desk, reaching for a textbook to take back to bed before turning to smile at them again.
 
“Souta, the cough syrup? And mom do we have any soup?”
 
“Uh, right. We'll go make you some dinner dear” Ushering the family out, Mrs Higurashi walked down the steps, bewildered by her daughter's appearance and actions.
 
“Mom?” Souta called as he stopped on the stair above her.
 
Turning to face her son, a fake but reassuring smile graced her lips. “Yes Souta?”
 
“What did she mean 'Who is Inuyasha'? She didn't really forget him did she? And what does she mean college? She had her journey to finish, why is she acting like, well a normal teenager?”
 
“I don't know dear, but hopefully Inuyasha will arrive soon to tell us.”
 
“Not likely” Her grandfather interrupted as he rushed back into the house.
 
“What do you mean dad? Where did you go?”
 
“The well house is gone, as is the well.”
 
I know it has been a long while, but I guess I'm back? I head back to training and classes soon so I don't know how often I'll be able to update, but I'll do my best. Please be patient with me and please review!