InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shattered Memories ❯ Questions without answers ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Thank you all for your reviews so far. I will update as fast as I can. I promise you that I will do my best to keep it regular but I can't guarantee it. I will finish it though, I always finish my stories. As for pairings that I forgot to mention, it's Inu/Kag & San/Mir mainly. If anymore spring up, it happens. Enjoy Chapter 2 and please review and let me know what you think!
 
Kaede looked up as she watched a forlorn group of four enter her hut - Sango, Miroku, Shippo and an injured and unconscious Kohaku. Sango and Miroku immediately placed Kohaku gently to the side as Sango checked to make sure he was alright. Being released from a demon that plagued you for years and after fighting for that freedom definitely wore the young boy out.
 
“What has ye so sad? And where are Inuyasha and Kagome?”
 
The group winced as Kaede spoke her name, but before any of them could calmly and rationally explain what happened, a brutal cry broke through the air.
 
Rushing out of the hut in search of the noise, the group saw the birds of Inuyasha Forest fleeing the area, followed by a red blur that shot out of the trees and straight towards them.
 
“THE BITCH STOLE THE WELL!!!”
 
“Inuyasha, calm thee down. Who stole the well. And would someone tell me where Lady Kagome is?”
 
Spinning on the group, Inuyasha's anger found another outlet. “You didn't tell her?!”
 
Miroku stepped forward, hands in the air in a defensive manner - clearly attempting to calm the frustrated hanyou. “We were about to Inuyasha, but your outburst caught all of our attention and well, it distracted us.”
 
“Tell me what, child? What has happened to thee?”
 
A slow sigh escaped Inuyasha's lips as he calmed his nerves and turned to face the older miko. As she looked up into his eyes, Kaede felt her heart stop. The pain held within those orbs did not bode well for what she was about to hear.
 
“Kaede, Kagome is gone.” As the old woman faltered in her balance, Miroku rushed forward to catch her as Inuyasha quickly continued. “She's not dead.”
 
Kaede's head snapped up at Inuyasha's addition, reading the hanyou closely. “If she is not dead, how is she gone?”
 
“When we destroyed Naraku and finished the jewel, Midoriko's spirit came out and sent her back to her time. She destroyed the wells, left no trace of their existence and blocked Kagome's memories. She said she did not belong here and for the sake of history and the world she sent her home.”
 
“Kagome is not the type to accept that verdict without a fight. Are ye telling me she went peacefully?”
 
“Well yes, if you consider unconscious peaceful. I guess she was knocked unconscious by the memory alteration, but while she was out Midoriko took her away.”
 
Nodding in understanding Kaede stood, thanked Miroku with a calm hand on the shoulder and led the group back into her hut.
 
The group settled around the fire as they entered into the hut. Sitting as the usually did, all eyes fell upon the void in the circle where Kagome's form would have been.
 
“So ye defeated Naraku. Now what shall ye do?”
“We have a new quest.” Shippo stated matter-of-factly. “We have to find Kagome.”
 
“We don't have to find her runt, we know where she is but we can't get to her.”
 
“Have ye tried wishing her back?”
 
“Yeah, Midoriko stopped us. I just don't know what to do.” With that, Inuyasha stood and walked out of the hut. Walking through the village, staring down at the completed jewel in his hands he realized how truly lost he was.
 
I spent so long wanting this. Searching for this stupid gem, but now that I have it I can't have what I want most.
 
Leaping through the forest, Inuyasha came to settle on a high tree branch of the Goshinboku tree.
 
Kagome. How do I get you back?
 
Two days have passed since Kagome returned to her time and her family sat in the living room as she watched her bounce by and wave goodbye. Rushing out the door to go meet her friends, she was oblivious to the somber expressions on her family's faces.
 
“Mom I don't get it.” Souta stated as soon as the door shut. “She doesn't remember Inuyasha, the jewel or anything. All she knows of Feudal Japan is from either grandpa's stories or from her textbooks. She has memories of being in school, the school has no records of all the work she missed. I don't understand.”
 
“Neither do I dear, but with the well gone I guess we never will. Inuyasha can't even come through to tell us. I'd almost shrug it off as a dream if it wasn't for the fact all three of us know.”
 
“The girl is fine.” Kagome's grandpa interjected. “So she doesn't remember her friends. Maybe she wanted it this way. Maybe something bad happened and she didn't want to remember it. At least she isn't running around the Feudal Era risking her life anymore.”
 
“I guess you're right dad. We need to move on and let her move on too.”
 
Standing and walking towards the door, Souta paused at the hallway to whisper his retort “No. She cared about her friends and Inuyasha to just forget about them, even if they died. She didn't do this. I don't know what did, but it's just not right.”
 
Walking out the door, Souta paced the shrine grounds as he came to sit in front of the Goshinboku - merely staring up at the giant tree.
 
Sis, what happened to you?
 
Launching off of the tree, Inuyasha rushed to Kaede's hut. It was now sunrise. He had spent the entire night thinking about Kagome and trying to find a way to be with her again. Realizing that as a demon all he had to do was live long enough to be with her, an idea hit him and caused him to rush off to the group.
 
Bursting through the doorway, he found the group sitting about the fire talking.
 
“I know how we can be with her again!”
 
Looking up in shock at their friend's outburst, Sango was the first to recover. “Inuyasha? What are you talking about?”
 
“I'm a half demon. As long as I don't get killed I could live to see her, as could Shippo and Kirara.”
 
“But Sango and I are human, Inuyasha.” Miroku argued back.
 
“That's what this damned thing is for” Inuyasha replied, jutting the jewel forward. “We can wish on it. Wish for us all to survive to live our lives with Kagome.”
 
Sighing, Sango looked up at her hopeful friend. “Inuyasha, I don't wish to destroy your hopes, but I couldn't do that. I couldn't live a life of practically an immortal. I wouldn't be able to bear watching my children and grandchildren die while I remained young.”
 
“I agree with Sango. As much as I want to be with Lady Kagome again. I just don't think I could watch my friend's die either.”
 
“Then we won't!”
 
“Come again?” Sango asked, confusion clearly riddling her face.
 
“Look, Sess and I aren't enemies anymore. Hell, we're even brothers. We could hibernate, put ourselves into a state similar to what Kikyo did to me, without the whole arrow piercing part. We could awake when Kagome first enters the well. It would give us a few years to get acclimated to her time before she is sent away for good.”
 
Truly contemplating the idea, Miroku shook his head once more. “And what of our lives here. What about Lady Kaede. Are we just to up and leave our lives here behind.”
 
“I would, in a heartbeat” Shippo volunteered.
 
“Inuyasha, it sounds like a good idea but we would need lives in her time. We couldn't just appear.”
 
“Then I won't freeze myself. I will live until then anyway. I'd make sure of it. I could look after all of you and create a life for us.”
 
“Perhaps ye should discuss this matter with your brother before you all make a decision. Take the time to think it through before you come to a decision.”
 
“Fine, I'll go talk to the mutt and you all think it over. Hell you could come up with a better plan anyway. I'll be back in 5 days!”
 
Before anyone could contest it, Inuyasha was out the door and rushing away towards the Western Lands. The group looked around at each other as a sigh escaped all their lips and they sat in silence as they each pondered what to do.