InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Shocking New Love ❯ Kagura's Wind ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome picked up her bow and one arrow and stood up.
“Who's there?” she called out. She heard a laugh and then a woman stepped out from the shadows. She was clad in a sparkly red and white kimono with her hair tied back, two feathers in the ribbon holding it up. She was holding a fan, and her ruby red eyes seemed to stare right through Kagome. Kagome narrowed her eyes and clutched her bow tightly.
“Kagura. What do you want?” she asked, a little frightened at the thought of having to fight Kagura by herself without her friends to help her.
“I came for the jewel shards, nothing more,” replied Kagura, tapping the tip of her fan on her shoulder.
“And if I refuse to hand them over?” Kagome slung the arrow into her bow and aimed it at Kagura's chest. “What then?”
“If you refuse to hand them over…” Kagura flipped her fan open, holding it in front of her chest. “You'll pay with your life. That's all I've got to say. Now… hand over the jewel shards.” Kagome pulled at the string of her bow threateningly.
“I don't think so!” she yelled. Kagura smirked. Kagome let the arrow loose, but Kagura jumped out of the way and the arrow hit the wall of the cave, leaving a small hole.
“Dance of Blades!” The Naraku incarnation moved her fan in a side-sweep motion, sending sharp blades of wind straight at Kagome! Kagome screamed and jumped out of the way right before the wind sliced her to pieces, landing on her stomach on the ground. The blades of wind hit the back wall of the cave and dislodged some of the rocks, sending them crashing down into the floor of the cave. Kagome looked up at Kagura and stood up, an angry expression on her face. I have no choice, I have to run, she thought.
“Leave me alone! I'm not giving you the jewel shards!” she screamed. She picked up a small rock and hurled it at the wind sorceress. Kagura jumped up to avoid getting hit by it. Noticing Kagura's distraction, Kagome ran out of the cave into the storm, which was slowly ceasing into nothing. Kagura glared after her and grinned.
“Run while you can, priestess. You're in for a nasty surprise.” She walked out of the cave. “All right, she refused. You know what to do.” Naraku's demon spirits, who were waiting in the trees and bushes outside the cave, flew off after Kagome, ready to kill her.
Sesshomaru looked up at the sky when he no longer felt, saw or heard the rain falling. The sky was becoming clear again. He looked down at Rin who was sound asleep in his arms and smiled, continuing on his way to find Kagome. I'm almost there. Her presence is getting stronger, he thought, quickening his pace a bit. Daybreak was approaching and the sky was getting lighter.
Inuyasha stood up and stretched, walking outside when he saw that the rain had stopped.
“Hey, guys, the storm ended,” he called to the others who were sleeping inside the cave. Shippo opened his eyes slowly and sat up, stretching and yawning.
“You didn't have to yell…” he said tiredly. Sango and Miroku began to wake up as well.
“What'd you say, Inuyasha…?” asked Miroku, yawning. Inuyasha stood there impatiently, looking at them.
“I said the rain stopped. Now lets get going!” he said angrily. Sango sighed and stood up, picking up the Hiraikotsu and mounting it over her shoulder.
“Alright, lets go then…” she walked out of the cave, followed by Shippo, Miroku, and Kirara. Inuyasha couldn't smell Kagome anymore, but he could sense her presence very faintly. The five of them set off to find their run-away friend.
Kagome was getting tired, but she pushed herself to keep running. She looked over her shoulder and saw Naraku's demon spirits right behind her. She gasped fearfully and sped up, jumping over tree roots and rocks that got in her way. Kagura was flying overhead just above all of the demons, watching. I don't think I can run for much longer… What do I do? Thought Kagome. More demon spirits came and flew in front of Kagome, hovering in her path.
“Oh no!” she exclaimed. Kagome shot a sacred arrow through the center of the mass of demons and then made a sharp turn, changing direction.
“Follow her!” ordered Kagura, pointing her fan at Kagome. The demons below her turned and began following Kagome again. Hearing Kagura's demand to the demons, Kagome began doubting if she'd make it out of the forest alive. She did the first thing that came to mind; she screamed.
Sesshomaru heard Kagome scream from where he was walking and stopped. He narrowed his eyes angrily and growled. Rin felt the rumbling growl vibrate in Sesshomaru's chest and opened her eyes, looking up at him.
“Lord Sesshomaru, are you okay?” she asked, rubbing her eyes. Sesshomaru put Rin down and grabbed the hilt of the Tokijin, eyes narrowed.
“Rin, promise me you'll stay here.” It sounded like he was demanding Rin to stay where she was. Rin nodded, a little confused though.
“I won't move from this spot, Lord Sesshomaru.”
“Alright.” With that, Sesshomaru ran off at full speed into the direction of Kagome, determined to destroy whatever was attacking her.
Jaken looked down at the forest, yawning. Ah-Un was getting closer to where Rin was standing, and grunted in its throats.
“What is it, Ah-Un? Do you smell Lord Sesshomaru?” asked Jaken. Ah-Un made a sharp descent towards the forest down below. This was unexpected and Jaken let out a scream of fright, holding onto one of the dragon's necks tightly, afraid of falling off.
Rin sat down at the base of a nearby tree, picking flowers that were near her. She looked up through the branches of the trees and sighed. Where was Lord Sesshomaru right now? Was he getting close to Kagome? She heard a low roar and nearly jumped. She looked around for the source of the sudden sound. A few moments later Ah-Un flew down through the branches, heading for the ground. Rin brightened and stood up.
“Ah-Un, Master Jaken! You're here!” she said excitedly. Ah-Un landed a few feet from Rin and growled in greeting, bending its two heads down to Rin's height. The little girl ran up to the dragon and hugged both snouts in turn. Jaken fell off of Ah-Un's back and landed with a soft thud on the ground. He was still shocked by dropping so far, so fast and so suddenly. He stood up and looked around.
“Rin, where is Lord Sesshomaru?” he asked wearily.
“He went off to help Kagome. He heard her scream and knew she was in danger,” replied Rin, patting one of Ah-Un's necks. Jaken sighed.
“We came all this way for nothing… Wait, which direction?”
“He went that way,” directed Rin, pointing north. A determined expression crossed Jaken's face. He wanted to find Lord Sesshomaru and rejoin him. He got back on Ah-Un's back.
“Come, Rin, we must help our lord!” he said urgently, as if he didn't think Sesshomaru could handle himself.
“But, I promised Lord Sesshomaru that I wouldn't move from this spot until he got back. I don't want to anger him by breaking my promise,” said Rin.
“I suppose I'll have to stay here then too… Lord Sesshomaru would be most displeased if you got attacked by a demon and I wasn't here to protect you,” said Jaken sadly. Ah-Un laid down and Rin leaned against him, Jaken lying down on the dragon's back. Rin closed her eyes and thought about the demon lord carrying her home and watching over her while she slept in her nice warm bed.
Kagome was almost out of breath and she was still running from Kagura and Naraku's demon spirits. She tripped and fell, the demons coming up behind her, ready to grab her. She flipped onto her back and aimed an arrow at the center of the mass.
“I'm not gonna be your dinner, ya hear?!” She shot the arrow and the sacred aura surrounding it killed a few of the demons when it flew past them. Kagome hastily got to her feet and ran off again. Kagura opened her fan and held it at the ready.
“Dance of Blades!” She sent sharp blades of wind aimed at Kagome's feet and they left deep trenches in the ground. The blast knocked Kagome off of her feet and she landed on the ground again, stunned by the sudden attack. She got to her feet and backed up, looking around at all the demons. I have no choice, I have to fight them, she decided. She took another arrow out of her quiver and looked up at Kagura, aiming carefully.
“Kagura! You want a fight, I'll give you a fight!” She shot the arrow and a light pink aura surrounded it. Kagura glared down at Kagome and gasped when the arrow shot through the feather she was riding on, narrowly missing her.
“Very well. Get her!” Kagura ordered the demons. The demon spirits flew at Kagome again. The young priestess shot another arrow and killed a few more demons. Each time Kagura ordered an attack on her, another arrow shot through the air and another demon fell dead. Kagome backed up as the demons advanced, and eventually, she was cornered, back against the trunk of a tree. But she didn't give up. She continued letting arrows loose as the demons got closer and closer. Soon she only had one arrow left in her quiver. Oh no, I'm almost out of arrows! There's too many of them! What do I do, wondered Kagome fearfully. Kagura laughed.
“This is the end, priestess. Prepare to DIE!” Kagura pointed her fan at Kagome and the demons lunged at her all at once, each ready to devour her whole. Kagome lost all hope of winning against the demons and Kagura at that moment and dropped her bow, slumping down to her knees and looking at the ground, closing her eyes. It's all over for me… Goodbye everyone, she thought. Just when a large centipede demon was about to snap Kagome up with its pincers, a large ball of light slammed into it and sliced it to pieces. A bloodcurdling screech filled the clearing and the mangled demon fell to the ground in pieces. Kagome opened her eyes a bit and gasped when she saw the dead demon a few feet away from her. She looked up and saw all of the demons getting sliced to pieces by the big, bright light zooming around quickly. She looked at the event in shock. What is that? She wondered. Kagura peered down at what was occurring and held her fan in front of her, ready to attack.
“How dare you interfere, whoever or whatever you are! Dance of the Dragon!” She slashed her fan in a side-sweep motion and multiple whirlwinds appeared, wreaking havoc on the ground beneath her. Kagome screamed when one of the whirlwinds was coming down towards her. The white light changed direction and pushed Kagome out of the way. Kagome gasped when she realized that she was floating in the air. Wait, I feel something holding me. Could it be? She wondered. Kagura sent the whirlwinds after Kagome and the mysterious thing that was helping the girl out.
“You won't get away that easily!” she shouted over the sound of the raging wind. The light zoomed into the forest and placed Kagome down on a bit of moss at the base of a tree. It then sped back through the trees back to Kagura. Kagome watched it leave.
“Sesshomaru?” she whispered.
Kagura narrowed her eyes when she saw the light return, heading for her.
“Persistent, aren't you? Dance of Blades!” She sent her sharp blades of wind at the light and heard a low growl of pain when one hit part of the light and vanished.
“Kagura, leave the girl alone,” it said. Kagura's eyes widened when she heard the voice and the light started to bleed.
“Sesshomaru, is that you?” The light didn't answer. It just transformed back into its true form, Sesshomaru, and glared at her.
“What do you want with her, Kagura?” asked Sesshomaru, hovering in the air with the help of his fluffy.
“I came for the jewel shards. She refused to hand them over, and she's going to pay in blood,” replied Kagura. Sesshomaru growled.
“Well, you're not going to injure the girl. Not with me protecting her.” Kagura smirked and folded her fan up, ceasing the whirlwinds.
“What's this? You're protecting her? A mere mortal?”
“Leave, Kagura. Or die,” said Sesshomaru calmly. Kagura stared at him and nodded.
“Fine. I will leave the girl alone for now.”
“And tell Naraku this. If he should ever make any attempt to hurt or kill Kagome again, I will personally see to his demise. Understood?” Kagura nodded and flew off back to Naraku's castle, leaving Sesshomaru and Kagome behind her. Sesshomaru alighted on the ground, picking up Kagome's bow and walked back into the forest where Kagome was waiting for him.