InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Hoping for a Miracle ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 3: Hoping for a Miracle


Kagome jerked awake at the light touch to her face.

"Relax, child. 'Tis only me," Kaede said quietly. As she removed the cloth covering Kagome's eyes, the girl took a deep breath to calm her racing heart. "'Tis just barely past dawn, but I thought you might want to find out before anyone else wakes."

Kagome nodded, biting her lip nervously. "Thank you."

"Do not try yet. I need to clean the last of the herb residue from your eyes first."

"Okay." Prolonging the event just seemed to make her more nervous. Her stomach was already tying itself into knots. She waited as the old priestess gently passed another damp cloth across her face.

For the better part of the night, Kagome had lain awake, wishing she would wake up and find it was all a dream. She'd resisted the urge to pinch herself many times, willing her mind to quiet and let her sleep. The waiting had been driving her crazy, along with the endless questions plaguing her mind. Was this really going to work? Would she get all of her sight back if it did, or only part of it? Would it work on only one eye and not the other? What would she do if it didn't work?

She couldn't go home-- there would be too many questions from her family. She'd most likely never be allowed to go through the well again. Not that that would stop her from trying. She had unfinished business here-- she was the one who had technically broken the Shikon no Tama, so she needed to stay and help find all the pieces. Besides that, she couldn't just leave the friends she'd made in this time and never look back. Not to mention that she'd most likely put her family in danger if she stayed there before they found all the shards-- time had already proven that demons existed in her time.

Could she stay here, though? She would to have to learn how to get around without the use of her eyes, which would be a feat in and of itself. Especially when they were off looking for shards. She could just stay and help Kaede in the village... but she was needed to find the Shikon shards. She was the only one who could actually see them. And now... she couldn't even do that. What good would she be if she couldn't help locate the shards? That's all they really needed her for, wasn't it?

Shaking her head, Kagome pushed the thoughts away. She needed to think positively right now.

"I am finished." Kaede slowly shuffled to her feet, then moved away. Somehow, she knew the simple remedy had not been good enough, though one tiny part of her still hoped her intuition was wrong.

Kagome felt around until she found Shippo lying at her side. She slowly sat up, so as not to wake the little fox demon. Squaring her shoulders back, she took another deep breath and let it out. 'Well, it's now or never,' she thought.

Her hopes died as soon as she opened her eyes. She still couldn't see anything-- no rays of light shining through the mat that served as the hut's door, no sleeping faces of her friends that she knew still rested inside, no dying embers from the fire of the night before. Nothing had changed. She tried to muffle the sobs she felt rising in her throat.

"Kagome?" a sleepy Shippo asked as he shifted beside her.

She shook her head in denial, refusing to believe it. "No," she whispered. "No, this isn't happening."

"Kagome? Kagome, please don't cry..." The kitsune hugged her side, trying to comfort her as much as he was able.

"No... No, no, no, NO!" Kagome pushed to her feet and manage to stagger out of the hut before tripping. She caught herself on her hands and knees, fingers digging hard into the dirt.

"Kagome?" Sango called worriedly from the doorway of the hut. The girl's cries had woken every one else. The demon exterminator rushed outside and gathered the sobbing girl into her arms. "I'm sorry, Kagome. I'm sorry."

Shippo and Miroku silently filed out as well. The kitsune clung tightly to the monk's robes, his own eyes watering. He'd never seen Kagome break down like that. It broke his little heart to see her in so much pain. But what could he, just a little fox demon, do to make things all better?

He looked up at Miroku, noting the grim set to the monk's usual cheerful face. Slowly, Shippo let go of the purple robes clenched tightly in his hands, and took a tentative step towards Kagome and Sango. He bit his lip and took a few more steps, until he was close enough to touch Kagome's leg. He laid one hand down on her skirt, waiting to see if she would notice. She sniffled a little, to try and stop the crying as turned from Sango's shoulder.

Taking this as his cue, Shippo climbed up to Kagome's shoulder, using a gentle hand to turn her face. There was one thing he could do. Something she'd done for him many times when he was hurt. He knew it didn't really help, but it always made him feel better. The kitsune wiped the tears away from her cheeks, then leaned over and gently kissed each of her eyelids.

Kagome tried to smile at his gesture, but could only sob harder. She took Shippo from her shoulder and hugged him in thanks.

<><><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><><><><><& gt;<><>

Inuyasha slammed his fist into the nearest tree. He'd heard Kagome from his perch and had rushed to return to Kaede's hut. His ears hadn't been deceiving him, as he'd first hoped-- she wasn't laughing, she was crying, sobbing as if the world was going to end. And he couldn't do a damn thing about it.