InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sight Unseen ❯ Come Back to Me ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sight Unseen

Chapter 4: Come Back to Me


"Kagome? I brought you some of the fish that Inuyasha caught. It's really good."

'... not hungry...'

"Kagome, let's go outside. It's such a nice day!"

'... can't see it... can't enjoy it...'

"Come on, Kagome, let's go try out the walking stick Shippo found for
you."

'... can't walk without tripping over my own feet when I can't see them...'

"Do you want to go bathe, Kagome?"

'... I want to be left alone...'

"Kagome, did you sleep at all last night?"

'... no night, no day... just neverending darkness...'

"Oi, wench, snap out of it. I can't even hear myself think with the brat chattering nonstop in my ears."

"Hey, I heard that! Kagome, he's been beating me up all day. Make him stop!"

"Come back here, you little..."

'... alone...'

"You need to eat, child. Things will work out in the end."

'... end... nothing left...'

"I'll be right here if you need me, Kagome. Right here in your lap, okay? And I'm going to stay up all night with you and keep you company. Do you know what we did today? We--"

"Shippo, hush. The rest of us are trying to sleep."

"But I'm talking to Kagome."

"Shippo, 'tis time for sleep, not conversation. She will talk with you tomorrow."

"Fine, but I get to talk to her first! As soon as I wake up. Nobody else gets--"

"Shippo!"

"Fine.... 'Night, K'g'me..."

'...'

"Wench, if you don't snap out of it, I'm taking the Shikon shards and going to find the rest on my own."

"Oi, I really will. Then I'm going to use them to become a full demon."

"I think I'm going to go find Kouga. And then I'm going to beat that wimpy wolf so hard he won't know which way is up by morning."

"Or would you rather I go find Sesshoumaru? He's always up for a fight."

"I can't believe you're not going to 'sit' me for that. Okay, if that's the case, then I'm not letting you go home ever again. You're staying here until we find all the pieces of the Shikon no Tama."

"Do I have to say please? Please 'sit' me?"

"Keh. Probably never thought you'd hear that."

"Kagome..."

"Kagome, can you hear me?"

"Kagome... where are you?... The others... we... I need you to come back from wherever you are... I feel so damn helpless... I hate it. I can't do anything... This isn't like saving you from all the demons you seem to attract... How am I supposed to save you... from yourself?"

"Come back to me, Kagome."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>

"Kagome, we're leaving this afternoon. There's rumor of a shard somewhere south of here."

Kagome grumbled, then stretched a bit, turning over on her sleeping bag to go back to sleep. "What?" she asked, her voice creaking as if she hadn't used it in days-- which she hadn't.

After she'd finally cried herself to sleep, the rest had settled down to figure out how they were going to continue their quest with this latest development. Unbeknownst to them, Kagome had woken up sometime during their at-times heated conversation. Hearing them outlining the problem, and posing all sorts of questions of their own had brought all the thoughts she'd been pushing away to the front of her mind. When the others finally fell asleep, Kagome's mind continued to torture her. She was unable to escape once she herself fell asleep once more-- her dreams were full of nightmare scenarios, the familiar faces of her friends turning mocking, echoing her fears.

The others had tried everything to get her to respond over the past couple of days, to no avail. They couldn't figure out what had pushed her into the trance-like state, and were afraid it was some side effect from either the serpent's poison, or from Kaede's herb treatment. The old priestess assured them it was not-- Kagome was physically fine. Most likely, she was trapped in her own mind, fighting off some inner demons. It was common for such trauma.

Kagome was, on some level, conscious of what was going on around her. She heard the others talking to her, asking her questions, but she never answered out loud-- it was as if she was looking down on herself as some sort of spectator, pitying the poor, useless girl left sitting in the hut alone. She wasn't aware of the passage of time, and never moved from her spot against the wall.

She vaguely remembered Inuyasha sitting next to her the night before, when everything else was quiet. Had she really heard some of the things she thought he said? The last-- 'Come back to me'... Had he really said that? His voice had been so soft, as if he was afraid the others would hear him as he spoke to her. He had been holding her hand for at least part of the time, as well. It was the last thing she'd been aware of before drifting off into a more peaceful sleep.

"What? We what?" she asked again, sitting up abruptly as what he said began to sink in.

The hanyou was fairly surprised at actually hearing her speak to him after two days of silence. He'd stayed with her most of the night, after getting the first reaction out of her that any of them had noticed-- she'd squeezed his hand slightly before her eyes closed. He'd then alternated between holding her hand and stroking her hair soothingly. It seemed to help-- she'd appeared to be sleeping normally, with none of the nightmares that caused her to whimper and cry out the night before. The actions calmed him as well, helping ease his own troubled thoughts. He'd left shortly before dawn-- before the others awakened.

"Inuyasha?"

He watched her eyebrows lower further in confusion as he took such a long time to respond. His voice came out slightly more gruffly than he'd intended. "We're going shard-hunting this afternoon, Kagome. There are rumors--"

"I heard you," she interrupted, before falling silent. Her next question was quiet, tentative, as if she was afraid to say anything. "You... still want me to... come with you? When I'm..." she trailed off, unable to finish the thought.

The question startled him. Was that why...? Did she really think they thought so little of her? That they'd leave her behind because of a slight-- maybe not-so-slight-- handicap? Her skill was the one they needed the most, if they were going to find the pieces of the Shikon no Tama in the first place. "Of course, idiot. You are the only one who can sense the Shikon shards."

Kagome tried to stop the tears she felt welling in her eyes, but a few escaped. She quickly wiped them away, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"Oi, Kagome, don't cry..."

A small smile flitted across her lips. "I'm not." They still needed her, still wanted her to come with them. Even though she'd most likely only get in the way, or get kidnapped, or hurt, or...

"Yes, you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Inuyasha, I'm not," she reiterated, knowing the argument was silly, but still insisting on trying for the last word.

"Ka-gome, yes, you are," he responded in a perfect imitation of the voice she'd used. He grinned to himself, since she couldn't see it. He'd trade her arguing with him for the silence of before any day. He waited a moment, just watching her, before mock-growling, "Now, wench, the others are waiting outside. Do I have to drag you out of here, or are you going come out on your own?"

She bit her lip, then held up a hand. "Could you... ah... help me up? My legs feel cramped, like I haven't moved for--"

"Two days," he muttered, taking her hand to help her to her feet. Two days in which he hadn't known what to do to get her to snap out of the depression she'd fallen into. Two days in which he'd been willing to do anything, tell her anything to get her to at least talk to him.

"Two--?" In her surprise at his statement, she was caught off guard, and was propelled on unsteady feet in the direction he'd pulled from. She threw out her free hand to stop herself, and ended up half-in, half-out of the doorway of the hut, the mat resting awkwardly on top of her. She righted herself as it was pushed out of the way, only to be greeted by a squealed "Kagome!" and something, or rather someone, barreling into her stomach. Instinctively, she clutched the kitsune to her, glad that she'd been leaning against the wall.

"Kagome! You're all better!" Shippo snuggled against her shirt, and so missed the wince that crossed the girl's face.

"Almost, Shippo. Almost," she replied sadly, stroking his head.

She heard a soft jingling that stopped off to her right, signaling Miroku's arrival at the hut. "I see Inuyasha has been busy while we were off gathering supplies," he grinned at the hanyou, who stood leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the doorway from Kagome.

"Watch it, monk," Inuyasha growled threateningly. Before he could whack Miroku upside the head, Sango beat him to it.

"Pervert!"

"I did not mean anything by it!" Miroku cried, rubbing his head. "I just meant that whatever he did- er said- broke Kagome from her meditation." The slip earned him another fist to the head, but this one not as hard as the first. "Why is it that I am so misunderstood?" he sighed dejectedly.

"Hah," Sango snorted in response.

Kagome giggled a bit. Everything was normal. Or as normal as it could get under the circumstances.

"Kagome, I'm glad you're... feeling better today," Sango told her friend. "We were worried about you. Even Inuyasha," she teased softly.

"Keh," the half-dog demon snorted in response. "I need her to find the shards," he added defensively.

Kagome could picture him, arms folded over his chest and nose in the air-- his trademark pose. She sighed, knowing it would be a while before she ever saw him do that again, if she ever did.

Shippo could sense the change in the tightness of her arms and patted her arm reassuringly.

Kagome smiled down at him, then mentally shook herself. "So, what's the story on this new shard?"