InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ The Unwelcome ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: don't own

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome sat quietly for a few minutes with Reiken watching intently. Reiken was surprised at the vast emotions that humans could display in their eyes. Confusion, anger, sadness, jelousy, and all at once. Kagome stood, cautiously at first, but gaining confidence the longer she stood.

"Could you tell me how long it would take for me to walk there, Reiken?"

"Ten-fifteen minutes for you."

Kagome started walking; her legs looked ready to collapse. She disappeared behind the trees that surrounded camp. The forest was deathly silent. Kagome kept a quiet, steady pace. Reiken was right, it took about fifteen minutes to reach InuYasha. He sat at the base of a tree. Kykio sat in his lap, wrapped tightly in his arms. Her head was lolled back into the crook of his neck. His face was burried in her hair. Kagome stood frozen behind a tree. She held a hand over her heart and looked to the ground. She sighed softly before disappearing in the shadows back towards the camp.

Her walk was slower this time, her mind comteplating. While in her thoughts a bitter and sad smile was on her lips. She came back into the fire's glow. Reiken sat in the same spot where she was left. Her face held no emotion, but her eyes held the concern for a friend. Kagome failed to notice as she slipped into her sleeping bag quietly. Her heartbeat evenned out so suddenly, it was almost as if she had fainted.

"You must have loved him." Reiken whispered it quietly to herself.

~~*~~*~~*~~

Shippou gently shook Kagome awake, tears staining his face. She slowly turned over and faced him. Kagome bolted up, pulling him into her arms.

"Please. Please don't leave, Kagome!" He screamed into her shirt.

"Why would I leave?"

She got no answer except for a louder screaming. Kagome looked up to her friends for help. Reiken stood in front of her, cutting off view of anything else.

"Give me the kit." Kagome handed the fox child to her. "If you leave, please, don't forget him." She said it quietl and stepped out of the way.

Kagome's eyes first fell to Sango and Miroku, who were both looking down. Her eyes slowly went to InuYasha. Kykio was in his arms. She looked back to her friends.

"Why would you think I'd leave? I saw it last night." Kagome's voice was soft and monotone.

She took Shippou back into her arms. He looked into her face, eyes blood shot and puffy. He must have been crying all morning.

"I'm not going any where Shippou." She said it with a soft smile.

He clinged to hr shirt tightly, still whimpering softly. Kagome stroked his head softly.

A hand came into view, offering help up. At first she wasn't going to take it, but she saw who it was. Reiken held her hand out, looking down with sad eyes. Kagome offered her hand slowly. Reiken pulled her to her feet.

"It is time to move on, in more ways than one. I wish to speak with you later."

Kagome gave a curt nod. Camp was already packed and the rest of the group was waiting. InuYasha and Kykio left first, leading. Sango and Miroku followed but kept a distance. Reiken and Kagome walked side by side.

"Young kits like it when they're sung to."

Kagome started to hum quietly. Slowly but surely his whimpering and quivering died down and he became still in her arms.

"Thank you."

"It is your own talent. Only one he trusts dearly could do that. You must be close."

"Yes we are."

~~*~~*~~*~~

The noon sun sat high in the sky, glaring down on them none to gently. All they'd done so far was walk. No fight with random demons, no leads, and no jewel shards near. Today was just boring. Shippou was precariously balancing on her shoulder while sleeping. Reiken watched the two out of the corner of her eye. Her eyes flipped back to the two leading the group. Everyone seemed to know what was going on, and she wanted to know now.

"Monk."

Miroku looked back before slowing his pace to match hers.

"Who is that woman." Reiken pointed to Kykio.

"She is Kykio. The miko who once guarded the shikon jewel." His eyes kept flicking to InuYasha nervously.

"He can not hear what you say, speak freely."

"Fifty years ago Kykio died. Her soul was reincarnated into Kagome's. She was brought back to life shortly after Kagome released InuYasha from the tree he was pinned to by Kykio. Kykio and him were set up to betray each other by Naraku. Kagome's always had feelings for InuYasha, but he refuses to see that. Now he just doesn't seem to care."

"I see. Thank you."

Miroku walked back up next to Sango.

"Hanyou." Reiken called up. "If we keep progressing in this heat, the humans will not be fit for travel."

"If I can keep going so can they!" He shouted back.

"It was an order you half-breed."

"If Kykio can keep going then so they!" His mood was foul now. He was looking for any reason to not stop.

"Your 'Kykio' is dead. An animated corpse, therefore not as suseptible to the temperature. If you don't believe me ask yourself."

He cocked his head to the side before turning to look down at Kykio.

"She is right InuYasha. My body no long regulates a temperature, I do not feel hot, nor cold."

He sighed in defeat and waved his hand signalling for them to make camp. The heat only went down a few degrees throughout the day, so they were stuck camping there for the night. The sun fell behind the horizen and the full moon rose. Reiken stood and motioned for Kagome to follow.

~~*~~*~~*~~

They walked for a long time. Weaving between the trees, avoiding the under growth. They came to a small field blooming with night flowers under the fool moon. They stopped in the middle of the small clearing. Reiken turned to her slowly.

"I have a gift I am able to give you. This gift, will leave your life completely altered. Either path you choose, will have its own reprocutions."

"What gift?"

"I offer you my power. I've walked this earth to long for my liking. I have seen my family die, along with friends. My power is that of the gingistune clan. You will become a gingistune demon should you choose to accept. Should you not, I will leave you as a human. The moon shall be full for two more nights, that is the time limit I offer. Think it over carfully."

Reiken left Kagome to think over her options and possibilities.

~*~*~*~*~

Hope you like reading it as much as I liked writing it!!! R&R!!