InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ Her Decision ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
disclaim: I don't own InuYasha.

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome sat in the field, looking to the moon, for a few hours. The night was warm and calm. Everything was quiet. Her mind was reeling over the possibilities. Reiken sat in a tree at Kagome's back. Kagome turned to look at her.

"I have a question."

"Ask."

"If I choose to accept, what will I be like?"

"Your general personality shouldn't change. There may be physical changes. I don't know what will happen to your holy powers. They may stay and coencide with you demonic powers or leave entirely. That is any one's guess."

"I see."

"My advice is, if you should choose the gift, you'd be best off leaving."

"What! Why?"

"Think about it. You are that Kykio's reincarnation, yes? She may see it as an insult to her soul and try to kill you, and I doubt that hanyou will try and stop her."

"What about my other friends?"

"I'd say it would depend on how they react. Though I know that the young kit will follow you no matter what."

Kagome nodded and looked back to the moon, as if it was going to give her some clue as to what she should do. It hung quietly in the night sky, ignoring her pleas for a sign. If she took the gift, how could she survive in her time? Sure her mother would understand and let her live here, probably. However, if she was forced home, she would live a miserable life. She was to far away to ask advice of her mother. The decision was purely her, so why was it so hard to choose?

"I will give you my answer tomorrow night. But tomorrow, will you teach me the way of the gingitsune?"

"Yes."

The two walk back to camp. InuYasha watched them walk back in.

"Where have you been?!" His voice was low and quiet, almost a growl.

"Nowhere." Kagome's voice was just as low and quiet but held no menace.

~~*~~*~~*~~

They were walking again. Luckly it wasn't as hot today as it was yesterday. Reiken and Kagome walked at the back of the group again, quietly discussing the life of a silver fox.

"So there will be alot of people after me?"

"No human will hunt you in a humanoid form. Only if you take your beast form, and it's relatively small. Your size will very on your will. Demons will be after you. Mostly just to devour you."

"All demons?"

"No, no. Only the lesser ones, but you shouldn't have any problems with them. Most don't like extreme cold, so your powers can handle them."

"What about weapons?"

"Human weapons like swords, will need training, unless you've already trained in them. Other wise your instincs will control demon powers through your body."

"I don't understand."

"Say you are in a fight, weaponless, and you haven't gained contol of you demon powers yet. Your inscints will take over giving you the ability to defend yourself."

"Okay. What would my demon powers be?"

"It varies from fox to fox but all have dominion over the element ice."

"Would you be here to teach me these powers?"

"No. My power is my life force, so when I give you the gift, I will go to the after life."

"No I can't accept then!"

"You don't understand, this is my will, as I told you. I am tired of watching friends and family die; it is time I moved on. I want to see them again."

Reiken looked up to the sky and the puffy white clouds.

"It's starting to get hot again." Kagome said.

"Let me see your left arm."

Kagome raised an eyebrow but gave her arm.

"This will feel a little weird."

Reiken's claw becam cased in ice. She flipped Kagome's hand so that it was palm up. Her claw slowly traced over the veins in her wrist before starting to draw some archaic symbol. Kagome felt her body go chilled before it warmed again.

"Give it a couple of minutes, it will keep your body cool."

"What was that?"

"I gave you a small taste of my power, to keep you body from over heating."

"Why did you choose me to give the gift to?"

"I don't know. You just seemed most worthy and deserving to have it."

"Why my left arm?"

"It is closest to the heart, normally it would be marked over the heart but it would've been difficult to do while traveling."

"Thank you."

The path they were walking came to a fork.

"The path to the right is demonless hanyou."

"Then we go left."

"Don't you think it better to go right and have a full night's rest insead of having to keep a watch."

"I agree with Reiken-sama." Miroku spoke up.

"I as well." Sango joined in.

"Since when did she become the leader of this group?"

"I am no leader, but merely concerned for the well being of the pack."

"Tch."

He walked to the right, followed by the rest.

"You would be a good leader." Kagome whispered.

"Sadly no. I don't have the patience to deal with the needs of a pack."

Reiken was correct that there were no demons in these woods. Birds and small mammals chattered happily and scurried about on their buisness. The was setting and the daiurnal animal started to settle in for the night. The set camp in between some widely spaced trees. Kagome set some ramon out and started to cook.

"Would you like some?"

"What is it?"

"Flavored noodles."

"Are they good?"

"Every one else seems to think so."

"I will try some."

Miroku and Sango conversed quietly while Shippou and Kirara played tag around the camp. The noodles were finally done and Kagome handed some out to everyone.

"Kagome would you like to bath before we go to bed?"

"Yes! Would you like to come Reiken."

"A bath sounds nice. There is a hot spring over that way."

After dinner the three plus Shippou made their way to the hot spring. They relaxed for some time before washing and getting out. They walked back to camp to see Miroku, InuYasha, and Kykio sleeping soundly. Sango and Shippou fell asleep leaving Kagome and Reiken the only ones up.

"Your choice?"

"I will accept this gift."

"Then come."

Kagome followed Reiken to a meadow. The moon gave everything a silver accent and a faint luminous glow.

"You must stand very still, until I'm gone, otherwise it may throw it off."

Kagome nodded and stood as still as she could. Reiken glowed a faint shade of blue and her form started to become translucent. She walked into Kagome's still form. The clearing started to become cased in ice, freezing nearby plants and trees. Kagome gasped and opened her eyes. Reiken was gone. Searing pain seemed to erupt all over and she fell to her knees.