InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ Scent Trail ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Don't own it

~*~*~*~*~

Kagome came upon the spot where she left Shippou. His scent was old, very old. Just how long was she in there? The days had seemed to blend together. His scent went north west. She followed quickly, being sure to jump the shrubs that Shippou just climbed through. For such a small guy he got far. She had to find him. She bad feeling in the pit of her stomach. Almost panic. Run, run. Her mind was screaming.

HIs scent was still very old even as far as she'd gotten. Still she traveled, not stopping for the food she needed. There was something familiar about this area.That's right! They'd been here before, a few months ago. So Shippou vaguely knew the area, good. He probably went to any villages they went through. What good would that do though? The villagers wouldn't help. They might even chase him out of the village.

If anyone hurt him there was going to be hell to pay. Finally the scent was getting less old. Kagome's feet carried her faster over the ground. Humans wouldn't be able to see her traveling at this pace. Lesser demons would see a faint blur. She could smell the lesser demons. They were crawling all over. In some spot the stench was so thick she could taste it. Disgusting. The moon was starting to rise. It was a small sliver of a waning cresent that seemed to barely cling to the approaching night.

She just entered the tree line and caught a smell she didn't like. Metallic. Copper like. Blood. Shippou's blood. This gave her a giant boost of speed. The trees seemed to blur around her and the world melted. She could almost see his scent trail. It was a green, the color of new leaves. Her instincs processed movement faster than her mind could. Her vision was a faint red around the edges. Kagome hit a cave that his scent lead into. She walked in, very hesitant about any smells that weren't earth.

A very faint laughing echoedthrough the cave. The voice sounded hoarse and barely human. Her steps slowed and she focused on hearing. She could tell whispering, but not what was being said. She proceeded, ready to throw caution to the wind if Shippou screamed. Kagome stopped at the sound of a growl. She turned to look over to a pair of shining eyes. The creature hissed and stepped closer. It was a green lizard of some kind. Mutated in a way. It stood akwardly on deformed legs. It's back seemed to be twisted, giving it's body an unnatural arch.

"Get out." The lizard's voice was barely understandable.

Kagome just growled at him. The lizard lunged, clawed hand stretched outward. Kagome held her hand out, spraying him in a thick coat of ice. When the block hit the floor it shattered, leaving the lizard in little frozen chunks. She walked on, encountering no further problems. The tunnel opened into a caveren. A fire sat in the middle of the floor with a few more deformed demons sitting around it. They all looked at her and started hissing and growling.

"Enough."

The voice quieted the growls and silence rang through the cave. The owner of the voice stepped closer to the fire. His left leg was deformed but for the most part, looked human. His hair was a stringy brown and looked as if it had never seen a brush.

"What buisness do you have here?"

"There is a kitsune pup here, I want him." Kagome could barely understand her own voice.

"And what do you want with said pup?"

"He is mine."

"You don't smell like his mother."

"He is mine. Hand him over or I'll kill you all."

The man seemed a little stunned by this but decided that one pup was not worth the groups life. He waved his hand to a demon that sat in the corner. The demon stood and walked further into the cave. He soon returned with Shippou in his arms, his head, arm, and torso wrapped in bandages. The demon slowly gave Kagome Shippou. As soon as her was in her arms, she calmed down. The red in her vision had faded and she felt like herself again.

"Who are you?"

Kagome looked up at him. "Kagome. What happened?"

"He was attacked. Our little group here takes in wounded demons of all sorts. Occasionally humans, but few wander into this forest. We came across him when he ran into Suki. He was bleeding profusely but should be completely healed soon."

"Demons that care for every wounded equally. No matter demon or human. Good, keep up the work..."

"Saiyu."

"Thank you."

Kagome turned without a glance back or another word. She held Shippou close as she raced out of the forest. She was free again. She had Shippou back. Every thing was back to normal. Kagome stopped at that. Was there really a normal time in her life? It seemed as if all her life she'd been involed in some strange mishap or adventure. She looked up to the sliver of moon. What was the definition of normal? Who got to decide what was normal and what wasn't? She shook her head, in an attempt to shake the thought away and started walking. 'By my definition.' She thought. 'I am normal.'