InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ Candidates ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: don't own

~*~*~*~*~

"I have arranged a contest."

Sesshoumaru was back at his desk. The window had been repaired over the three days they were there. Sesshoumaru had been busy at work to arrange a contest to decide a new lord. The screening process had already began.

"How many entered?" Kagome was sunk into a comfy arm chair.

"Over a hundred. But the sceening will cut that down to half. The knowledge test will then cut that down by about half and the rest will be eliminated by a tournament."

Kagome and Sesshoumaru had come to an agreement. They would only talk to each other when necessary.

"I want to check out the winner my self."

"Do as you will."

"And if I find that person unworthy?"

"Do as you will, but be ready for reprocutions."

Kagome nodded and got up to leave. Over one hundred people willing to control a town full of possible assassins. She was definantly going to check out the winner. There wasn't any way she was leaving them in the hands of some one who would use them. The entire process of this contest would take at least a week. So that meant she would be stuck here for a while.

Kagome went to the rooms where they were screening the participants. She watched them answering questions and dividing into two rooms. One, she assumed, was for those who didn't make it but they weren't being told wich oom was which. Although some one around here must have noticed a pattern. Even she could see that fewer people went to the room on the left.

Kagome walked in and looked around at those who passed screening. A few bears, lynx, tigers, red foxes, boar, and black dogs. Most of them were male but there were a few women. They stuck closest to their own kind. Quickly she peeked over into those whodidn't make it. All most all were lesser demons. There were a few who had humanoid form but they seemed malicious..The screening would be finished tomorrow and testing would start the next day.

Kagome went back to her room to watch the sun set. She was in the opposite wing of Sesshoumaru but she wasn't complaining. She stood on the balcony leaning on the railing and looking down at the courtyard. The one they trashed was on the other side of the castle, so this one was okay. She could smell the orchid and roses. Kagome looked around quicky before jumping over the railing.

She landed softly on her feet. She started walking to the stone bench that was beneath the only cherry blossom. White orchids surrounded the koi pond. There was a soft wind, making the orchids and other flowers dance. She heard light footsteps approachin from behind the tree. Rin took a seat next to her.

"What are you doing up Rin?"

"I couldn't sleep."

"Why?"

"I keep having bad dreams."

"Well, I'm not going to bed for a while, I'll stay up with you."

"Thank you Kagome-san."

They sat there for a while watchin the flowers and the fish. Kagome felt a sudden weight on her side and looked over to see a sleeping Rin. She smiled down at the young girl before gently scooping her up and walking into the castle. She bumped into a servant.

"Would you direct me to Rin's room."

"The young miss fell asleep? She hasn't been sleeping well lately.. Follow me."

The servant led the way to Rin's room. Shippou came around the corner and joined the little group on the way. The servan opened the door and pulled down the covers. Kagome set Rin down and pulled the covers up to her chin and turn to leave, but was stopped by a tug on her tail. Rin's small hands had grasped on to her tail and had no intention of letting go. The servant smiled and grabbed the chair from across the room. Kagome sat down and Shippou jumped into her lap and curled up.

"Looks like you'll be spending the night here Lady Kagome."

" Just Kagome please miss..."

"Ai. I am Rin's personal servant. I was looking for the young miss to give her some thing to help her sleep. But you did a good job all your own. Good night La - Kagome."

"Good night Ai."

Ai left and shut the door quietly behind her. Kagome sat looking out the window and stroking Shippou's head. The door opened and Sesshoumaru walked in. He stopped just inside the door.

"What are you doing here?"

"The kid has a hold over me." Kagome lifted her tail to show him. "What about you?"

"I have no need to tell you."

"Fine but at least get me loose."

"A child is stronger than you?"

"No. But I don't want to wake her by ripping my tail out of her grasp."

Sesshoumaru sighed and walked over. He tickled her face with the tip of his tail. Rin let go of Kagome's tail. Kagome stood and started to move away with Shippou in her arms. Rin started to toss and turn and cry out. Sesshoumaru's tail wrapped around her but still she fought in her sleep. Kagome walked back over and started stroking Rin's head. Slowly she started to calm down.

"How long have these night mares been going on?"

"Over a month, close to the time I recieved word about your transformation."

"I will need time to think about this."

"You will stay and keep her calm."

"I think it's cute how you think every one will listen to you."

Sesshoumaru started to growl.

"Shh. Rin's sleeping." She reprimanded.

Sesshoumaru gave her an I-deal-with-you-later look. She smiled and waved him away. He left shortly after. Kagome fell asleep in the chair, head lolled back in a way that was sure to cause pain when she woke.

~~*~~*~~*~~

Kagome woke with a stiff neck. She rolled her head around to loosen the muscles. Shippou was missing from her lap, as was Rin from her bead. She got up and walk to Rin's window. She saw Rin and Shippou chasing eachother around the yard. They were playing tag. Rin tackled Shippou and it was his turn to be it. Kagome turned to leave and was shocked that some one was blocking the door. Sesshoumaru was leaning back against the door, arms over his chest.

"The knowledge test is about to start."

Kagome nodded and started walking toward him. She stopped a few feet away expecting him to move.When he didn't she looked up at him.

"You gonna move?"

"You will watch Rin. She has not been sleeping well until you showed up. Your room will be moved next door."

"If I don't."

"You will die."

"Smile when you say that. Besides I was just kidding."

"Your things are being moved as we speak."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me. I do not wish you to be here, but I do not want Rin moved to an all demon wing. So you moving is simply a convenience."

~*~*~*~*~

Still not sure whether I want her to be with Sessy or Inu but it will definently be one of them. R & R!!