InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ One's Duty ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Don't own. This applies for the rest of the story as well.




Kagome had just pulled herself from the bed. Thoughts of Sai's offer raced through her mind. She had a duty to kill Naraku and complete the jewel. No one will wait forever. She knew that from experience. She didn't wait forever for InuYasha. Waiting was to painful. Quickly smoothing the wrinkles from her clothes she exited the room. All was quiet in the hall. Her stomach made a loud protest as to her heading away from the direction of the kitchen. "Are you hungry?" Kagome spun around to face Sai. She put a hand over her chest and one on his shoulder to maintain balance. "Don't scare me like that. Make some noise or some thing."

He smiled and flicked his hair over his shoulder. "But I did make noise, Lady Kagome. You just were to preoccupied to notice." "And just what was I preoccupied by?" Her stomach rumbled loudly again. "Oh yeah...that." She smiled. "Hai, that. Let me escort you to the kitchen." He offered her his arm. She took it hesitantly and allowed herself to be led. "So, Sai, tell me about yourself." "There isn't much to tell Lady Kagome. I was raised on a platue in the eastern lands by my mother. My father had been killed in some demon war. I had two siblings, Cho, my sister. My brother, Takashi, who was killed when he went to war with my father. My mother and sister later passed away after catching some kind of sickness. The rest of my clan had cast me out so I wandered around for a few years before establishing my own territory. Later I was forced out and needed a new home. I heard of this contest and decided that I would try. That brings us to now. So, it's your turn, tell me about the mysterious Lady Kagome."

"Well, my dad died when I was young. I grew up on a shrine with my okaa-san, jii-chan, and nii-chan. On my birthday I met InuYasha, Lord Sesshoumaru's half brother. I broke the Shikon jewel and then went on a journey where I met my other companions, Sango, Miroku, and Shippou. We are collecting the jewel shards and trying to defeat the evil hanyou Naraku. I became the Lady of the silver fox village and started looking for a new lord. That brings me to now."

"Hmmm....that didn't tell me to much that I didn't already know." They came to the kitchen. "You want something?" Kagome looked through the pantry. "I guess. I'll summon a cook." "I can cook!" Kagome snapped. "I meant no offense. Most Lady's don't know how, I just assumed." "Well, next time ask. I can do a lot of things." Sai nodded his okay, already afraid to be on the recieving end of her wrath. At least he was a quick learner. Kagome pulled out some meat, vegetables, and spices and began cooking. She boiled some noodles and began making a kind of homemade ramen. They sat quietly at a small table and ate. Sai's eyes lit up at the first bite.

"This tastes amazing. Where did you learn to make this?" Kagome smiled shyly. "My mother taught me. So it is good?" "It is the most perfect tasting meal I've ever had the pleasure to eat." She smiled at him as he ate. At least some one would appreciate her cooking. Even though she wasn't that good of one. Just being around some one who would compliment her made her feel better. "So lady Kagome, have you thought about my offer?" "I have. It is tempting, but I just don't know you Sai." "Kagome I knew from the first time you looked at me that you knew me. Knew me as I knew you, in the way of old lovers. That is why you fall into ease with me. How you are so comfortable." "Even if that were true, I have a duty." "Yes, I supposed one's duty comes before their happiness." He said with a sigh.

"Thank you for understanding. I won't ask you to wait for me. I tried waiting for some one and only ended up hurt in the end. I would not do that to another person." Sai shook his head. "Kagome, I have no choice but to wait for you. I will never have another now that I met my matching half." "What do you mean?" "A soul mate." Kagome nearly sputtered with laughter but his seroius gaze stopped her. "You can't be serious." "Kagome, have I ever held you?" "No." "Then how do I know that you would fit perfectly in my arms, fit right against my body in such a way that it couldn't be anything but right." Her face flushed. "I...I have to go. Excuse me." She stood abruptly and went to the door. "You can try and deny it all you want, but you know as well as I do what fate has in store for us."

Kagome fled down that hall, trying her best not to run and look like a frightened animal. But there was one thing she knew for certain. He was right. She did know him. Knew him like no one else. And yet she didn't know him. Where did that leave her? Caught in the middle of what her mind said and what her body wanted. Sai was left in the kitchen head down. "I hope I didn't scare her." He stood and went to his chaimbers.

Kagome sat on the sill with her feet draped outside. Life was complicated enough with out this. He wanted her and she wanted him. But she didn't know if she wanted him. Why did her life always manage to throw a wrench into things. Her plan was to kill Naraku, complete the jewel, and live happily ever after on some distant plain with Shippou. She beat her head gently into the frame. When was the torment going to end? Tomorrow she would leave. Her and Shippou. They would go and hunt down Naraku. That was still the priority. She walked back over to the bed and fell into a fitfull slumber.




Morning came with a stunning briliace and poured light onto Kagome's already awake form. She was preparing for departure. Shippou sant on her bed, bouncing around. "Kagome, why do we have to leave? I like it here." "Shippou you had to know that we wouldn't be staying forever." "Yeah." He sighed and quit bouncing. A light knock came on the door. "Come in." She called out. "So you are leaving then?" Sai's voice floated over to her. Kagome paused a moment before looking at him. "Hai." She went back to packing. "I would like to join you." She stopped and looked at him again. "As you said, you don't know me very well, so I would like the chance to woo you." "Woo me?" She questioned, arching an eyebrow.

He nodded and sat next to Shippou who glared at him. "What do you want with Kagome?" He asked. Sai looked down at the little kit and smiled. "I plan to court her, young one." Shippou looked him over. "If you hurt her I'll hurt you." He growled. The little fox's threat was humorous, but not to be taken lightly. He did look serious. "Believe me little one, hurting her is the last thing I would want to do." "You can come." Kagome said from her position on the floor. "But you have to promise me that you will help protect Shippou." "You have my word." "I still have a duty." "As I said before one's duty comes before thier happiness, but there is no reason happiness can't come with one's duty." Kagome smiled and nodded. "Alright, it's time to go." She said, hefting her pack onto her back.

The small group proceeded to the gates and Sesshoumaru was waiting for them. "Thank you for your hospitality, But if I may ask, will you send someone to watch the village for me?" He gave a curt nod. "I will be present for the final battle fox. It will be I who kill Naraku." "I guess it will be a race then." She smiled and walked through the gates, Sai and Shippou following. The day was quiet with the only noise being the birds. Kagome went to enter a village but Sai grabbed her wrist.

"Just what do you think you're doing. We can't go there. Not unless you want to start a fight." "Sai listen, I know how to deal with them, just wait here a minute." Solemnly he released her. "Fine, but just yell if you need me." Kagome nodded. As she entered the village some of the villagers scattered into their various huts. A man with a ho stepped into her path. "What do you want here demon." "I came seeking a healer to puchase some herbs." "Purchase? We will not be fooled by your tricks. We lost our last healer to your kind and-" "That's enough!" A woman's voice cut him off. "What is it you need demon?" The woman turned to her. "I was looking for some herbs to purchase." "Herbs for what?" "Mostly for healing."

The woman nodded and walked away. The villagers were eyeing them warily. Shippou hid behind her leg. The woman returned with a small pouch. "This is what you seek." She dropped the pouch in her hand with a smirk. It was wiped off her face when nothing happened. "How?" "How what?" Kagome asked. "That was supposed to purify you, demon. Why didn't it work?" "You can't purify something that is already pure." "But..." The woman appeared stunned. "I will move on to the next village, goodbye." Kagome left the town, pouch still in hand. She opened and poured the contents out. It was a mix of herbs, crystal, and some sort of small bone. She sighed and dump it onto the ground.

Sai was in the place they left him. He looked nervous up until he saw them. He flipped his hair over his shoulder. "Did you get what you needed?" Kagome sighed. "No. I guess I will look for it as we go." Sai nodded and they disappeared in to the trees. Fluidly they moved from tree branch to tree branch, Shippou clinging to the back of Kagome's shirt. Night would be decending soon. The sun had just started setting. "Well, we've made absolutly no progress today." "Of course we have Kagome." Sai said. "We progressed all the way from the western palace to this place." He grinned. She gave him a dry look then smiled. "I guess we should set up camp. You want to hunt while I gather wood and set up." He nodded and stood. Kagome set Shippou down. "Be careful, I'm going to gather wood." Shippou nodded as Kagome disappeared into the falling darkness between the trees.

When Sai came back with the boar, skinned and cut up, the fire was already blazing, and a small stack of wood was piled against the tree. They ate in silence. Kagome yawned and Shippou was asleep in her arms. Sai moved up into the tree and motioned Kagome up. "Come on, I won't let you fall." "It's not falling I'm worried about." She mumbled, thinking of a paticullar perverted monk. She jumped up any way. Sai pulled her back against him, arm wrapped around her and Shippou. She'd slept like this with InuYasha on one occasion. Sai was right. About her fitting perfectly into his arms. She relaxed against him, sinking into the warmth that he offered. All three of them slept peacefully.




Plz R & R! I love gettin reviews.