InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ Wonderful ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wonderful




Kagome woke to a warm sensation running over the tip of her ear. She sighed in contentment and tilted her head back further. At least until her mind started to wonder what this was. Quickly she went over last night. 'Okay...Shippou went to sleep, I was about to go to sleep under the tree, Sai called me up, I fell asleep on him...so that means' She bolted up so fast that she almost lost balance out of the tree. Sai grabbed her shoulder and pulled her back. "Careful." He said.

"Just what did you think you were doing?" She said, an angry edge cutting into her voice. He looked a little surprised. "I was trying to wake you. It is, after all, time to leave." She blinked at him a few times. Licking some one's ear was a way to wake them. Well it did work. "Did you ever try just calling some one's name to wake them?" He cocked his head. "As I said, I wish to court you. With demons that is a usual way to wake one who is a mate or potential mate if the situation arises. I expected you to have been courted before. I assumed, I apologize." He bowed his head. Now she felt bad. She hadn't meant to snap. Since she had not been raised a demon she didn't know their rules. "No, I'm sorry. I have never been taught courting so it was unexpected." "Ahh." He said with a smile. "Then I shall teach you."

They jumped out of the tree. Shippou had put out the fire and cleaned up the camp while Kagome was still asleep. Doing a quick check to make sure the fire was completely out they left. Shippou was again clinging to Kagome's shirt as they passed though the canopy of the trees. It was a cloudy day, the sun hidden from view. They came to the edge of the forest. "I guess we take the path from here." Soon they were walking on the path that had been worn by carts, horses, and men. The Kagome stopped and looked ahead. There, not even a hundred feet away, was her old group.

Kagome stood, frozen to the spot, as she waited. Like a deer caught in the headlights all she could do was watch with her mind screaming 'run'. But, she glanced at the group, now counting people. There were only three, InuYasha, Sango, and Miroku. So, where was Kykio at? The group stopped and looked at them. Not recognizing them right away, InuYasha drew his sword. "What the hell do you demons want?" InuYasha growled, pointing his sword at them. "Don't you point that sword at me!" Kagome shouted putting her hands on her hips. "I'll point my sword where ever the hell I want!" "Oh, yeah! Well, sit!" He kissed the dirt. "Kagome-chan!" "Lady Kagome!" Came the joyous calls of her friends.

"Hey guys." She waved. "Do you know these humans and that half-breed?" Sai asked in a whisper. Kagome nodded. "They're my friends." He crossed his arms and looked at the hanyou that was still on the ground. 'How amusing, she has a pet half-demon' Sai chuckled in his head. Sango ran to embrace her friend. "InuYasha told us that you were dead." Sango said, teary eyed. "Why would he do that? She looked to him. InuYasha snorted and looked away. "What else was I supposed to think after you disappeared and weren't in your era. Some one like you surviving anything over a week. ha! Fat chance!" He scoffed.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Asked a forgotten Sai. "From what I've heard of Lady Kagome she is a survivor if nothing else." Kagome shot him a look but left it alone. InuYasha sputtered with laughter. "Are you sure we're talking about the same wench?" Before Kagome could retort, InuYasha was being held in the air by his throat. "You will refrain from speaking to her like that now or ever again. Especially in my presence. She is the Lady of the foxes and deserves to be treated with respect." Sai threw him into a tree. "Lady?" Sango and Miroku asked in unison. "Guess I've got a lot of explaining to do, but first let's make camp.




"....And that's what happened." Kagome sighed. It took two hours to tell the whole story. "So Kagura is free from Naraku. Did you see Kohaku?" Sango asked hopefully. Kagome hissed lightly, how could she forget about her best friend's brother. What kind of person was she. "Yeah, I saw him. He looked alright for being under Naraku's control." Kagome said, sadness of forgetting him leaking into her voice. Sango took that sadness as something Kagome didn't want to talk about and left the subject alone. "So you say Naraku tortured you?" Miroku asked. "Exactly how?" "Weapons. He'd cut me, beat me, burn me. I don't want to talk about it." She looked away.

Miroku and Sango nodded their understanding. They kept giving glances at Sai. Kagome had left out the part about him asking to court her. In fact she left out most of the story on how she came to be the Lady of the foxes as well. "So where did he come in." InuYasha asked pointing to Sai. "Sai, well, he is courting me." She mumbled with a heavy blush on her face. "What!" The three nearly yelled. "He he." She laughed lightly scratching the back of her head.

Sai and Shippou smiled. "Oh yeah...what happened to Kykio?" Kagome asked with false cheerfulness. "She left shortly after you did claiming there was something she had to do." Sango answered. Kagome noticed InuYasha's ears droop a little. "Kagome, can you and I talk." He asked quietly. Kagome nodded and they walked a little ways from the camp, out of range of eavesdropping fox ears. "Listen I didn't mean for what happened to happen. I had good intentions when Kykio joined us." "InuYasha...the road to hell is paved with good intentions." Kagome whispered looking up at the sky. "Are you going to leave?" He asked looking to the sky now.

"I'm not sure." She looked back to the ground. Kagome wasn't to sure about a lot. She didn't know if she should go see her family, didn't know if she should stay with her friends, and didn't know what was going to happen after Naraku. And if she didn't decide soon then fate would choose for her. One thing she knew though was that she wanted to live in this era, no matter what. "InuYasha, exactly when did we stop caring for each other?" She looked at him now. "Kagome I still care about you." He protested. She closed her eyes. "I meant caring as in love." She said quietly, a barely audible whisper.

"Kagome, I never stopped." Her eyes shot open to pin him with a look that was indescribable. "You can't say that to me. Not now. Not after I saw you with Kykio." Could she really accept that he claimed to still love her? Things were getting more confusing day by day. "Kagome, what's wrong?" He asked leaning to get a look at her turned away face. "Just...how can you say that? I knew where your heart was and stayed by you. You knew of my feelings, and when you find out that I'm starting to move on you decide to reel me back in. I can't handle that. I can't." A small trail of tears was starting to form along her cheeks. "I can't stay here, with you."

Kagome walked back to the camp and left InuYasha alone in his new misery. In truth he had told Kykio that she couldn't stay in the group if she was going to treat the others that way. That was one responsibility InuYasha took on, the responsibility to care for the members of his group. At least physically. Yes, he still saw her. Still loved her. But he wouldn't allow her near his friends. And he never really found out why Kykio had tried to kill Kagome that night. He wasn't even sure he wanted know either. Life seemed easier the more ignorant you were to everything going on around you. He shook his head and went back to the camp.

As he arrived he noted the absence of three people. "Did they leave?" He asked. Sango pointed up above her head. There the three sat on a branch sleeping soundly. InuYasha sat beneath a tree on the opposite side of camp. Sword wrapped in his arm he fell into a light sleep. Sango and Miroku looked between the Kagome and InuYasha. "Do you think they had a fight?" Sango asked. "No, I think Kagome told him how she felt, at least a little." Sango sighed, looked between the two once more, and went to sleep.




Morning came with a squeal from Kagome. The others bolted upright. "I told you that you had to teach me the whole situation first!" "Just trying to get you used to it Kagome." The laughter in his voice clearly evident. "Well, I almost dropped Shippou and" She topped when she noticed all the stares she was getting. She handed Shippou to Sai before jumping out of the tree. "Going to get cleaned up, bye!" She said in a rush, not wanting to explain how the whole thing started. So the job fell to Sai. "I woke her." Was all he said before starting his persual of the fleeing fox named Kagome. The three all blinked a few times while passing questioning glances around. "Well, that was a little weird." InuYasha and Miroku nodded at Sango's statement.

Kagome had stopped when she came to a river. She washed her face and hands. "Next hot spring I come to I'm taking a bath. I take down any one who tries to stop me!" She claimed raising a fist in the air. "Mind if I joined you?" Kagome whipped around so fast that she almost threw herself into the water, and would have to if a pair of arms hadn't saved her. "As mush as I would love to see you all wet, I think this water is a little cold." Kagome's face was a wonderful shade of red. He made sure she hand her balance before releasing her. "Why did you run away?" "It's was embarrassing." She looked down to her hands. "Kagome," He pulled her chin up so she was facing him. "There is nothing embarrassing about having some one love you."

Kagome felt frozen under his piercing gaze. "You have the prettiest eyes" She suddenly remarked. "Like bright green glass." He looked a little taken aback. "Well, if that wasn't a change of the subject." He smiled. "How about tomorrow I start to teach you the ways of courting?" "That would be great." She smiled back. Shippou tugged on her pant leg. "Kagome-mama, I'm hungry." "Well then let's get back to camp." The group walked at a leisurely pace back to the camp. The others watched intently. "So, who wants to go hunting?" Kagome looked around. "How about you and I?" Sai asked. She thought about it then nodded.

They went through the forest side by side chasing down two fleeing boars. It wasn't that the boars were fast, it was that they kept running into shrubbery causing the duo to lose sight for a moment. Kagome leapt off a branch and right onto one of the boars back just as it exited the undergrowth. "Gotcha!" The pig squealed one last time before Kagome killed it. Sai approached, second boar over his shoulder. "Well, do you want to clean them here or back at camp?" He asked. "Here is fine." "Use this, don't want blood under those beautiful nails." He handed her a knife. Kagome told Said more about Naraku as they gutted, skinned, and cut up the boar. She wiped her brow with her sleeve. "This seemed easier the last time I did it, but I guess a few rabbit would be easier."

Quickly skewering the meat on to cleaned stick, making it easier for carrying, they headed back to camp. All was silent at dinner. "I'm leaving tomorrow." Kagome announced. "And just where do you think you're going?" "You and I already had this discussion." InuYasha quieted and looked away. That was still a sore spot for him. For now. I'll get her back. She'll always come back to me, no matter what she says. InuYasha thought. Sai's gaze went to him almost as if he could hear what he was thinking. Staying with the same sleeping arrangements they all went back to bed.




They're getting bigger. R & R! Also I'm thinking about upping the rating to include a lem' , what do you think? I'll go with majority after this chap. so no updating till I figure out what I'm gonna do. Cause it effects how the rest of this story is going to happen.