InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Fox ❯ Ways of Courting ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ways of Courting



Kagome, Sai, and Shippou had left with the rising of the sun before the others rose. Yes, she felt bad for not saying goddbye, but she knew that if it was a big teary goodbye she wouldn't leave. Instead she settled for a short note saying that she hoped to see them again soon and would go to Keade's village sometime in the near future so she could visit her mother. Today they walked along the path even though there were trees and the canopy was far more interesting. "Sai, how does this work?" Kagome asked quietly still not used to the idea. "Natually it veries from species to species, so lucky for us there is only one base custom to follow."

"Now, with foxes it is always the male who proposes the courting period. Natually we are already past that. Then the male will prove that he can provide. Hunting, fishing and such. Then there is a period where we will spend time in either's birth place, such as to know eachother better. This stage is optional. There is an exchange of gifts. Usually a weapon of choice. If either refuses the gifts it is taken as a rejection of the courting and there is no further involvement. That is not to say at a later time it can still not be stopped."

"So." Kagome stopped him. "This is kind of like a human marrige?" "It is similar in some aspects but the end result is far more permanent." "Meaning what?" "Since we are soul mates it is not only a bonding of body but spirits and auras. It will make our mating far more stronger." "I think I understand." "Well, next they find a spot to mate. Once this is agreed upon there is another exchange of gifts, this one is commonly made out of precious materials. This is another chance to accept or reject. Then the location for a home is chosen. For us we already have the silver fox village. The ceremony is then carried out."

"Wait, what ceremony?" Both stopped and looked at eachother. "For foxes and some others there is a ritual involved depending on the female's species, in this case a silver fox. It is the only point that the fox types differ in mating. If we come to this point I'm sure you can ask one of the foxes in the village. Finally it ends with the actual act and a final presentation of gifts. This final one will be of something of high sentimentality. This is to prove trust. And that is all the step from start to finish. Of course there are little things, such as the way I woke you, but I will teach you those as we go. Try to enjoy the attention Kagome."

He smiled at her. The kind of smile that said that he was thinking naughty things. She gulped and took a small step back. "The pervert smile!" Kagome yelled playfully and ran. He laughed and followed. They chased eachother aroud a bit, Shippou clinging for dear life to kagome.s shirt. "Kagome-mama I'm going to fall off." "Okay." Kagome slid to a stop and Sai right beside her. "We could let you stay with Keade-baachan while I get used to this courting thing Shippou." "Can I really?" Shippou asked in excitement. "Yes and I would like to go home for a time." "Where is you home Kagome?" Sai asked.

"Well, I actually come from 500 years in the future." He stared at her for a moment in akward silence. "I would very much like to see this future." "If you promise not to attack anything and anyone. That is only if you can cross over." He nodded. "Well let's go." They started walking down one of the intersecting paths. They arrived at the village with the sun starting to fall below the horizen. Shippou spotted Keade just as she was about to enter her hut. "Keade!" Kagome and Shippou called. "Shippou what are ye not doing with InuYasha and Kagome?" "Keade-baachan this is Kagome." "Kagome child, ye must tell me what hath transpired. Come inside."

She waved them inside with an old hand. They sat around the fire. "Now Kagome tell me what has happened." Kagome explained what had happened from the meeting of Reiken to now. Keade took it all in stide, nodding every so often. "Well, ye have cetainly been buisy. So you intend to leave Shippou here?" Keade asked. "Yes, until we're finished with this." Kagome nodded. "I will only be to happy to watch the young kit." "Thank you. Sai, I guess we should go see if you can cross through the well." Kagome and Sai stood.

"Oh! Wait. Keade, is there a spell to conceal our demon sides from human." "I am sorry Kagome, but no such spell or charm exists that I know. Though I could ask another priestess in a neihboring villages." Kagome sighed and nodded. "Let's go." The pair walked to the well. "A well is the way to your world?" "Yes. Although I'm not sure why." Kagome shrugged. "Here, take my hand." Instead Sai grabbed her around the waist and leaped in. The familiar blue light shown around. Kagome looked back when she noticed the grip on her waist had loosened. Sai was floating back into the fuedal era. Quickly she grabbed his wrist and pulled him forward. "Come on!" She yelled at the well. The light wavered a moment and they arrived on Kagome's side.

Kagome could tell it was night by the lack of light that shown from underneath the well house doors. Slowly she slid the door open. "Kami, it smells awful here. Is your home full of miasma?" Sai questioned, sleeve covering his nose. "I suppose that we will get used to it." Kagome said and walked out. The living room lights were on. Kagome had to drag Sai into the house as he was staring in aw at the structures around him. "Mom!" Kagome called into the house. "Kagome, is that you sis?" Souta called back as he rounded the corner. He froze as his eyes landed on his sister and the stranger.

"Mom!" Souta yelled before bolting back around the corner and up the stairs. "Mom!" He yelled again. "Souta it's half past one, quit yelling." Kun-loon told the young boy. "What could you possibly be yelling about?" She walked to the entrance of the house. "Who are you and what are you doing in my home?" The woman questioned, crossing her arms. "Mama?" Kagome took a hesitant step, arms outstretched. "Kagome?" A look of astonishment passed on to her face. Kun-loon ran to her daughter and wrapped her tight. "InuYasha had said you had died." The older woman cried.

"I'm home now." She patted her mothers back. "Who is this?" She asked suddenly. "How about I wait until morning and then I can tell everyone at once." Kun-loon nodded. "Your room is just as you left it." Sai followed Kagome upstairs to her room. "This place is amazing Kagome." Kagome smiled and nodded. "You can take the bed." Kagome pointed. "And where shall you sleep?" "I'll sleep on the floor." Kagome spread a floor mat out and curled underneath the spare blanket. Sai sat on the edge of the bed and watched her as she fell asleep. "No lady should sleep on the floor" He whispered. He picked her up gently and set her on the bed, then quietly curled up behind her.




Kagome woke nose to nose with Sai. She smiled at him. He looks so calm. She bumped ihs forehead with her. "Time to wake up." He mumbled and rolled over flinging his red mane over her face. "Hmmm..." She bit her thumb nail. Propping herself up on her elbow she leaned over him. Hesitantly she licked the tip of his ear. "Sai..." Slowly his eyes opened revealing green glass looking at her. "I see that you are getting more comfortable." "A little." He gave her a gental smile. "Let's go face my family." She went to sit up but was caught by Sai's arm. He leaned up and placed a soft kiss on her lips. A slight red blossomed on her cheeks. He laughed and released her. "Yes, let's go face your family."

Kagome lead him down the stairs where her family was quietly eating breakfast. The utensils stopped moving as the three occupants of the room turned to watch them enter.They sat in the awkward silence for a few moments. "Kagome, I hope you have a very good explanation for this." Her grandfather said. Kagome nodded and started her story. Kun-loon, Souta, and gramps leaned forward in their chairs. Kun-loon nodded every so often in acknowledgement of a decision her daughter made. "And that is pretty much what happened."

"Kagome," her mother called. "can I speak with you?" Kun-loon lead her daughter outside. "About some of your decisions...I can't really agree with you becoming a demon but if it makes you happy I suppose I should be happy as well. I thought for sure you would end up with InuYasha though." "Me too..." Kagome laughed. "Kagome?" Sai slowly came outside. "If it isn't to much trouble...could you show me around this world of yours?" Kagome looked to her mother asking silently if their talk was over. Kun-loon nodded. "I'll drive you there, but first I think that you need some clothes." Kagome nodded. "Could he wear some of dad's old clothes until we get some new ones?" Kun-loon nodded again.

Sai waited downstairs while Kun-loon went to retrieve some clothes for Sai. "Yell if you need help." She pressed the jeans and button up shirt into his arms, and shoved him into the next room. "Mom! I need some help!" She walked in to see Kagome stuggling into a pair of pants. "Mom!" Kun-loon laughed. "I don't see how this is funny. I can't get my pants on!" Kagome gave her mother a pleading look. "I know just the thing." Kun-loon left and came back with a long black skirt. "It's not in style but it will work for now. I'll go get some make-up to cover that tattoo as well." "It's not a tattoo!" Kagome called to her mother's retreating figure.

Kagome stood outside the door waiting for Sai, who still had yet to come out. "Sai are you done yet?" "I don't think I'm doing this right." "Are you covered?" "Yes." Kagome walked in. He had the jeans on backwards and the buttons out of line. "For the most part its right. Turn these around and I'll fix the buttons." Sai turned the pants around while Kagome fixed the buttons which, when done, left her very close to him. He lean down, hair brushing her face. "Where has your marking gone?" "I covered it up, people don't usually have markings on their faces here." "Ah." He rubbed his face along her's, like a cat scent marking. "Well, mom's waiting." She whipped around and out the door.

The car ride was an uneventful trip once Sai was assured that the large metal contraption had no ill intention toward anyone. Kagome and Sai sat in the back with her pointing out what things were, what they did, and answering his questions. They arrived at the mall. "Here's some money get you both some new clothes, I'll come get you in two hours." "Thanks mom." Kagome waved as her mother pulled away. "Let's go." She grabbed Sai's hand and led him through the doors.




Sai now understood why he didn't see many males at the mall. They were all smart enough to not go. He sighed as he was handed another bag. That was not to say he was carrying them all, just the vast majority. "Do you want something to eat?" "They have boar here?" "No, just human food. It tastes good." "What is food if it doesn't fill you?" "We can't hunt here so we have to eat human food. It helps." He nodded and followed Kagome to the food court. Kagome enjoyed the expressions on Sai's face as he tried the food. "This really does taste good." "See..." "Kagome!" Three people yelled. The demon duo looked at the three aproaching females. "Who is this?" Eri asked. "This is Sai. Sai this is Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi."

"Nice to meet you." They said in unison. The five walked around the mall. "Where have you been Kagome? No one can find you at any of the hospitals." "I had to go to another city for specialized doctors." They nodded. Kagome walked ahead a little ways to get a better vantage point of store names. With Kagome not looking Yuka gave Sai a swift smack on the butt. He stopped and turned toward her. "Female, you intentions are unwanted, so unless you want that hand of your removed I suggest that you keep it to yourself." He growled out in a hushed whisper. She gulped and, after grabbing her two companions, fled. Kagome looked back in confusion. "What just happened?" "Nothing important. Won't your mother be arriving shortly?" "Hai. We should wait in the parking lot."

They stood to the left of the door. "Kagome, why do those men keep looking over this way?" Kagome looked further down the side of the building to see three men looking at her. "Don't worry about it, let's just move over here." Kagome watched as they approached. "Hey little lady, how about me and you go an' party?" "I don't think so." She took a step away. Sai stepped in front of her. "Lood guys, we got us a boy tryin' to play hero. Let's take 'im down a peg." They laughed. The two lackeys grabbed Sai's arms. "Don't kill them." Kagome said. Sai nodded his compliance. He swung one man off his arm and punch the other in the jaw. Both stood up and charged, fists clenched and pulled back.

He ducked underneath their punches. After sweeping the legs out from underneath one he dealt the other a heavy gut blow. The man doubled over before his eyes rolled into the back of his head. The leader stood back as his remaining man stood and was given a broken nose before knocked out. Finally he stepped in, pulling a switchblade from his pant's pocket. "Alright pretty boy, I'm gonna cut your face up so bad even your ma won't want ya." He swung the blade in a horizontal motion. Sai caught the arm and broke it at the elbow. Kagome cringed at the thick wet sound that came with the breaking of the joint.

Even with one arm useless the man still tried to fight. "You may want to stop before you lose funtion of both arms for good. The man grunted and swung. Sai grabbed his fist and shoulder. Clenching his hands Sai broke the man's shoulder and all the bones in his hand. The man fell back onto the ground in pain and flailed for a short time before he to fell unconcious. Kun-loon chose that moment to pull into the parking lot. "What happened?" She peered over top of the car. "Call the police mama. Tell them to come here. You go and we'll walk so no one sees us leave with you." "Kagome?" "Please mama I'll tell you when we get home." Kun-loon nodded and drove away, cell phone in hand.

Sai and Kagome split the bags evenly as the rushed over the roof tops to Kagome's house. "Who are the police and why did we leave so fast." "The police are enforcers of the law. The law is something we obey, but we would have problems with the police if we got caught." "What kind of problems?" "We are demons, and as far as I know we are the only ones here. If were got put in jail or something they could find out what we are. Wait!" Kagome and Sai stopped at the tree line to her home. The police were standing outside with Kun-loon. "And you say that the one with red hair was wearing a wig?" "Thats right. What he looked at me I could see that it was lopsided with black hair."

"Thank you for your cooperation Mrs. Higurashi." "No problem officers, I'm just surprised you got here so fast." The cops left and Kaogme and Sai came out of the trees. "You two better tell me what is going on!" Kun-loon scolded, shaking her finger. "Yes mama." Kagome explain quickly. "Well then it's probably best you two return to the fuedal era for a while. At least until the police stop looking for people with red hair." "I thought you told them that it was a wig?" "Yes but who only wears a wig once." Kagome nodded. As soon as Kagome walked into the house she started gathering supplies. Sai watched the young woman run about the house and pile things into the yellow monstrositie.

"Well, that sould about do it." She wiped her brow. "Mom we're gonna leave now!" "Okay, wait a minute." She called from the living room. "Sai, you can go wait at the well if you want to." He nodded and walked out the door. Sure, the modern era was amazing to the red fox but when it came to the suffering of his nose he couldn't wait to leave. Kagome stood, waiting, with the new yellow pack over her shoulders. Why her mother bought her another yellow one she'd never know. Kun-loon wrapped her daughter in another hug. "Congratulations Kagome. Have lots of babies." Kagome turned a lovely shade of red. "Mom!" Kun-loon smiled. "You grew up to fastm and some times I think I missed some of it. But I'm glad you turned out to be the lovely young woman you are. Now go on, be happy." Tears rolled down Kun-loon's cheeks. "Oh mama...thank you. I will visit when ever I can." "I know you will." With one final hug Kagome and Sai left the future.




'nother chap. still not sure if I'm gonna up the rating but I figure that out once I get there.