InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Snapshots of Life After the End ❯ The Storm of Memory ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to At First Tweak on July 17, 2011 for Prompt #48 Thunder and Lightning

Title: The Storm of Memory
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Genre: General/Romance
Universe: Post Canon
Word Count: 300
Summary: A storm awakens some bad memories.
--------------------

He struggled against the youkai before him, the sheath in his hands cracking from the pressure of holding off the giant weapon. A noise drew the two combatants' attention and they spotted the little kitsune racing for the discarded sword, the young miko not far behind. He saw his opponent's expression and then the ball of lightning forming in his mouth. He shouted a warning, too late, the power surged out, engulfing the two innocents. They lay, unmoving surrounded by fire. And he knew he was too late.

BOOM!

Inuyasha jerked awake, his ears ringing from the loud thunder. A flash of light soon followed, lighting up the room, an unsettling reminder of his dream. He tried to slow his racing heart as he reached a shaking hand out to the one lying beside him. She stirred at his movement.

“Inuyasha?” she murmured sleepily. “What's wrong?”

“Feh, it's nothing. Go back to sleep.” He tried to reassure her, wincing as another streak of lightning flashed by, his dream, no memory still fresh in his mind.

Kagome sat up, wrapping her arms around him, her head against his shoulder. “Something's bothering you.”

Inuyasha sighed, wrapping an arm around her. “Just some memories.” At her look he sighed again. “There were so many times I could have lost you.” Another flash of lightning, followed by thunder had him pulling her snugly into his lap.

Realization dawned. She gave him a soft, knowing smile. “But you didn't. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere.” Her smile changed and she pulled back, bringing him with her. “Let's chase away those bad memories by making new ones.” Inuyasha eagerly agreed. They spent the rest of the night lost in each other as the storm raged on outside.