InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ STF: Special Task Force : Japan ❯ The Grid - PART 2 - In the Dust ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Thanks Abstract - that really means a lot coming from such a faithful reviewer.

Also, sorry for spelling mistakes as I write most of these at night or on break where I am in a little of a rush or tired. Might just take someone up on the beta question…

--------------------------------

Inuyasha's voice: Last time on STF: Japan.

"It is done?" The driver asks. The other man passes over the object.

"We have a five mile radius. I placed one on each support beam structure. Press and boom!"

"Traceable?"

"Not in the least."

"Good. Get in back." The man says. The passenger looks at him funny, but does it anyway. "Why? Need something?"

"No." The driver says, pulling a suppressed weapon from under his jacket. "Just tying up loss ends."

Two silenced shots rang out and he got out of the van. Getting into a much faster sports car.

---

The next thing I heard was a deafening sound. An explosion on the top floors. Then in the middle. The top floors began to collapse as the last people came running out.

As the building hit the ground ash and smoke filled the area.

I couldn't find Kagome or Inuyasha…

--------------------

STF now continues.

--------------------

As the building hit the ground another explosion was set off. I was thrown back several feat. Through some miracle I landed on my feat, bracing as I slid back a little.

"What the fuck…" I muttered shaking my head as I fell back to land on my ass. I felt a medic grab my shoulder. "You ok sir?"

I ignored him, standing up as more STF and local PD, FD, and medics arrived on scene.

It starts with one…


It multiplies till you can taste the sun
And burnt by the sky you try to take it from
And if it falls there's no place to run
Crumbling down, It's so unreal

I heard the car doors slam and a gasp coming from what sounded like Sango. "Oh my…"

"Holy Buda." Miroku commented.

Sango ran up to me. Her cat on one shoulder and a fox demon on the other. "Everyone accounted for?"

"Civilians are unknown… but…"

"But what?"


They're dealing you in to determine your end
And sending you back again to the places you've been
And bending your will till it breaks you within
And still they fill they're eyes


With the twilight through the skylight
And the highlight's on a frame of steel
See the brightness of your likeness
As I write this on a pad with the way I feel

`KRACKLE!' "Hello? Can anyone hear me?" `KRACKLE!'


Hear screaming in my dreaming
As it's seeming that you played your part
Like your heartless take apart this in the darkness
But I know that I've

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter


I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

I've looked down the line and what's there is not what ought to be
Held back from the battles they fought for me
Calling me to be part of their property
And now I see that I get no chance

"That's Kagome's voice!" Sango said.

"They're trapped inside!" I yelled, grabbing my radio.

"Kagome, I can hear you! You guys okay?"


I get no break, fakes and snakes quickly lead to mistakes
And as the tightrope within slowly starts to thin
I can only hope that they close they're eyes
To the twilight through the skylight


And the highlight's on a frame of steel
See the brightness of your likeness
As I write this on a pad with the way I feel
Hear screaming in my dreaming


As it's seeming that you played your part
Like your heartless take apart this in the darkness
But I know that I've

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter


I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

"By the skin of my teeth. We somehow got a pocket without debris. Inuyasha threw himself on me when the building began to fall. He's been knocked unconscious but he's still breathing. Orders?"

"Hold put! I've got two search and rescue here and more on the way. I'm going to get you in touch with a medic who is going to help you assess your and Inuyasha's injuries so we don't make it worse."


I've put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
And for all this
There's only one thing you should know (3x)

I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter


I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

(Linkin Park - In the End - DEMOversion)

"Copy. Hurry."

"We're coming Kagome. Don't worry."

I quickly spotted a STF medic. "Listen. I have two on the radio trapped inside. I need you to asses their injuries over the radio. Talk to them and get them to tell you anything that can help, I'll be listening on my end." I said, handing him an extra radio. He nodded.

I didn't say anything as I ran to my vehicle. It was dusty as hell and I coughed as I opened the back of it.

Air tight - great nothing got in.

Sango came up behind me. "What are you going to do? You're not going in are you?"

"I have to. It's my people in there."

"That's what I'm here for!" She protested. "Me two!" The little fox demon said. My guess - Shippo.

"I understand that. But I won't stand by." I said, walking away with my flashlight and flare kit. It was going to be a long night.

---------

Kagome coughed a little of the dust out of her lungs. "Damn it." She hissed, sitting up right - Inuyasha's limp body sliding off her.

She looked around. A large topple over support beam made enough head room to stand up and stretch a little. The debris was scattered around enough to walk in a two foot circle. Talk about luck.

Kagome bent down and felt for his pulse, slight panic creeping into her breath a little. She felt one and she collapsed into a sitting position next to him.

"Scared the hell out of me Inuyasha. I thought you were…" She couldn't finish the statement. She found her slightly damaged radio a little ways away, picking it up she found it worth a try.

"Hello? Can anyone hear me?"

"Kagome, I can hear you! You guys okay?"

Kagome was so happy to hear a familiar voice.

"By the skin of my teeth. We somehow got a pocket without debris. Inuyasha threw himself on me when the building began to fall. He's been knocked unconscious but he's still breathing. Orders?"

"Hold put! I've got two search and rescue here and more on the way. I'm going to get you in touch with a medic who is going to help you assess your and Inuyasha's injuries so we don't make it worse."

"Copy. Hurry."

"We're coming Kagome. Don't worry."

"Don't worry." She scoffed. "Easy for you to say… though I guess not."

"This is STF Medic Bosco. Who am I talking too?"

"H, Kagome. 364. Adam 8." Kagome responded. After a moment of silence.

"Copy. Can you tell me how you feel?"

"Little bit dizzy. Sore and I think I sprained my ankle."

"Is that all?"

"Yes."

"Is anyone else with you? I have been told that two are trapped."

"My partner, Inuyasha. 34 Ryan. 374."

"Can I speak with him?"

"No, he isn't conscious."

"Does he have a pulse?"

"Yes."

"Ok, how is he laying."

"He is currently flat out on his back. He slid off the top of me when I came too."

"Ok, I need you to stay awake until we get there. If you're getting tired let me know."

"Ok."

Kagome sighed after a moment of silence. Wishing Inuyasha was awake to comfort her.

"Ok, Kagome listen carefully. How does his neck look?"

"It appears normal. No external bruising to make me think it is injured."

"Very, very lightly touch you fingers to it and tell me if you feel any abnormality."

Kagome did as she was told. Lightly brushing over his neck with her fingers, she found nothing. "Nothing."

"Ok. Don't move him until we are one-hundred percent sure of his condition. Just try to stay calm."

He was right. She needed to stay calm. She couldn't help Inuyasha if she began to panic.

"Is he bleeding from anywhere?"

"Small cuts on his arms. Don't know about his back, It doesn't look like it."

"Ok. Good."

"Kagome, Sango here, I need you to tell me about where you where when the bomb went off."

"Sango, we were near the front entrance. After the first bomb we ran towards the desk thinking the building was going. We were going to run out the building but we knew there wasn't enough time."

"Good thinking girl. We're coming for you."

Kagome sighed. "How can I stay calm at a time like this. It could be hours before they find me. And what if something happens to Inuyasha?"

"Kagome, listen. Do you have your jacket or some sort of undershirt?"

Kagome blinked at the question from the medic.

"Yes… why?"

"Ok, I need you to take your shirt off and rip it into pieces and bandage his arm up. Also, check it to see if it is broken, feel for anything not normal."

Kagome nodded, taking her shirt off leaving her in her undershirt and vest.

"The things I do for you." She sighed. After bandaging his arm she told the medic who told her to hold tight as there was nothing left to do.

She sighed again. Kagome thought about anything that kept her calm. Only one thing came to mind: Inuyasha.

She gently began to rub his ear. After a few moments she heard him grumble something.

"Hay, you awake?" She whispered.

"Yah, and I feel like shit." He said, sitting up next to her. "I can't move my arm."

"I know. It's broken. I had to bandage it up."

"Oh… thank you. Are you ok?"

"Yah. Just my ankle hurts a little."

"How long have we been down here?"

"Little over twenty minutes."

Now it was Inu's turn to sigh. Resting his back up against the desk that now served as a containment barrier.

"Inuyasha." Kagome whispered. "I'm scared."

He used his good arm to scoot her into his lap, surrounding her with his good arm while his bad one rested on her leg. "I'm right here. I'll protect you." He whispered, putting his head on her shoulder and a hand on her hip. "I'm always here."

------------

Outside with the Search Party

------------

"Damn it. It's hard to walk on this." I cursed lightly, stumbling again as the fire cat, Kirara simply hovered above it and Shippo jumped from side to side.

I closed my eyes. Come one. For once, just do as I tell you and work! I need your help to do this… I pleaded with myself. Opening my eyes everything was red again.

It worked!

I looked around, catching a beam that stuck up out of the debris. A little ways away from it was another beam with a flat top. I couldn't make the jump in one move.

I jumped from my position, planting my feat firmly on the beam sideways, holding myself there with my hand before leaping up to the next beam. I crouched down, listening carefully as my flashlight began to wear out.

It died as I heard someone talking.

"Inuyasha I'm scared."

"I'm right here. I'll protect you. I'm always here."

I light a flare jumping down and landing right where I heard it coming from.

"Hay! Can you hear me!" I yelled, my vision returning to normal.

"Bryan?" Inuyasha yelled back.

"Hold on! I'm coming."

I grabbed my radio. Trying it I realized that it had broken during my jump. Sango was out of hearing range by now.

I opened up the flare kit and took out the gun. I shot a flare off into the sky.

"Over there!" I heard a voice yell - probably Shippo.

"What do you got?" Sango yelled as she came running with Kirara.

"Right here." I said pointing. "Right underneath me."

-----------------------------------------------------

Little over 2 Hours Later

-----------------------------------------------------

"Alright, Kagome can you hear me?" Bryan's voice called from a small hole in the roof of the `cavern' they were in.

"Yah!"

"It's going to be a little while longer. We can't risk this collapsing on you."

"Ok." She sighed. Looking up at Inuyasha who currently had his eyes closed, she felt slightly better. She leaned back playing with a piece of his hair.

"Just a little while longer." She spoke quietly. Reminding herself that salvation was only a little ways away.

A loud booming was heard as debris began to shuffle. Kagome looked around wildly and screamed when the room came down a little.

"Holy shit!" She cried clutching Inuyasha's shirt when it all came to rest.

"You guys okay in there?!" Sango came from over the radio.

"Yes! What the hell just happened!"

"Secondary explosives. There must be more. Bomb squad is going through the area. Stay tight."

"What do you mean stay tight! I was almost crushed!"

"Just stay with Inuyasha. He'll protect you." Bryan… he knew?

"Ok." Kagome whispered.

Another explosion was heard as he debris began to crumbled again.

Of hurry! I don't think it's going to hold much longer.

Kagome heard a low growl. She turned slightly to see Inuyasha with his eyes still closed and breathed a sigh of relief.

His eyes suddenly shot open to revile the golden amber taken over by blood red.

"Oh shit." Kagome said. Getting up from his lap and going to his side. Keeping a grasp on his shoulder.

"Inuyasha, listen to me. Calm down!"

"Kagome, listen to me. If anything were to ever happen and I turned a full demon. If… If I even began to come after you… I want you to shoot me. Twice, once in the head… and once in the chest." His voice echoed in her head.

"But… Inuyasha why!?"

"Cause I don't know what I would do to you! That's why!"

That didn't change what she did now.

She held him to him as he thrashed around.

"Come on. Stay with me! We're going to be fine!"

She reached for her radio.

"Guys, screw the explosives! We need to get out of here now! Something is happening to Inuyasha!"

"What?!" Bryan asked. Sounding worried.

"He's turning full demon and something is causing it! Get us out!"

"55 David to all units - step it up a notch. Officer in immediate danger."

Kagome cringed at his command. "Immediate danger." She whispered, looking over at him as he struggled with himself. "He wouldn't… would he?"

It's when he stood up she began to slightly worry. When he turned to look right at her, she feared him. When he rushed to her, stopping shot be mere inches. The growling continued.

Kagome looked at him. He took ragged breaths that only stop when he growled. His ears were focused on her and his fangs had grown. His claws were more deadly and sharp than she had ever seen them and his eyes… they weren't his anymore.

Kagome didn't want to shoot him. She couldn't shoot him. No matter what happen to her.

"Inuyasha calm down. We'll be fine."

More growls. His eyes flashed a sudden amber and a voice escaped through the growling.

"Kagome! Run, get away!"

She held her ground.

"What are you, stupid?"

She took her chances. Swiftly moving in to hug Inuyasha. When that didn't work she tightened her grip, feeling his claws drag down her back. She quickly did the next thing that came to mind - she killed him.

He struggled to get from her grasp. No demon liked being kissed.

After what seemed like a long time he stopped struggling. He put his arm around her waist and leaned into it. After a moment they both pulled back and she buried her head into his chest.

Inuyasha took in a deep breath through his nose. He smelled her blood.

"Kagome, I told you that if I ever came after you to shoot me. Why didn't you?"

"I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger." She whispered.

"But what if I-"

"But you didn't! Besides… even when you are full demon I still trust you."

Inuyasha held her tighter. "Stupid, stupid women."

"Stupid, stupid demon." She whispered back.

"Hay! It's to quiet down there, you guys ok?!"

"Yah. We're fine. He's back to normal."

"Good. Bomb squad just found the last of the explosives. We're coming in."

Kagome detached herself from Inuyasha. Picking up her things.

"Inuyasha… thank you."

"For what? I nearly killed you."

"But you didn't. And besides… that kiss was worth it."

Inuyasha blinked a few times. Kagome flashed a flirting smile.

"Besides, you are good with your toung."

Inuyasha blushed as she ran up and kissed him again.

They heard a loud crunch and crash behind them, but didn't pay any attention.

After a few moments… "Uh, would you like us to come back and rescue you later?" Sango asked. Kagome turned on her heal and Inuyasha lightly growled at the loss of her touch.

She poked him in the ribs. "I'll make it up to you later. Promise."