InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sutôkâ Satsujin ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Inuyasha watched helplessly as the same silvery gun that knocked him out came into view. It was then, something he never used to believe in—until now, his life flashed before his eyes. His childhood, his friends, school…it was all smiling down on him. Maybe if he did die here—tonight—he would be reunited with something as magical as his childhood. On the other hand, he could spend the rest of eternity in the seventh level of hell. The first option sounded too appealing, the second, not so much. Either place paradise or hell, he wasn’t ready for either. Not now, not at 25. Regardless of his marriage, he still had a lot of living to do and he wasn’t going to let this bastard get the best of him.
Carefully, he tugged at the ropes again. This time, though, he didn’t tug as hard. Gently, slowly, the tugging along with his free fingers, the rope became loosened and he was able to pull his hands free. His wrists ached where the rope had been, and even without looking, he could feel the angry marks burn. That, however, was the least of his worries. Right now, he had to find away to get himself and his wife out of this mess.
He kept his hands, fingers clasped, behind his back so the masked man wouldn’t know that he was free from his prison. After all, he needed the element of surprise more than ever. Inuyasha took in everything he could see in the darkened room. The bed was in the center of the bedroom, about three feet in front of him. The door was behind him. The masked man, Naraku, was on the other side of the bed, which put him about nine feet away from him. He sighed inwardly .There is too much room between us. As soon as I move, he will have plenty of time to register it before aiming and pulling the trigger. No, it was no good. The police training he had to take to become a police officer, much less a detective, was extensive. It taught him when to act for the best and when not to get killed. This was one of those times that if he acted he would be killed.
No good.
Recalculating his approach, Inuyasha’s eyes met those of his wife. In her deep brown orbs he saw remorse, fear, and something he hadn’t seen in a long time—longing. It made his heart ache. Her indiscretions no longer mattered, the only thing that did was getting them both out of here…alive. They would work everything else out at a later date.
In his periphery, Inuyasha saw the masked man move from the side of the bed toward the bathroom. From his position, Inuyasha could see the bathroom door shut. The man was inside. Either he was stupid or just over cocky, Inuyasha thought when he heard the water turn on. With the babbling faucet to mask any sound in the bedroom, Inuyasha made his move.
In the span of a heartbeat, he threw himself from his wooden perch and crossed the small gap between him and Kikyo. Her eyes went wide and she shook her head at him. Her mouth moved and in his haste, Inuyasha barely made out the word ‘no’ formed on her lips. But he didn’t have time to stop now, he had to free her and get her out of the house. He needed to call the cops and have them take this monster from his home and put him where he really belongs—underground.
He didn’t want to speak to her, he didn’t want to risk any sound carrying too far, but her wild thrashing made him snap. He gripped her tear stained face in his hands and forced her to look at him. Brown clashed with molten amber as he tried to force the words he was scared to say through their eyes. When that didn’t work, he sighed softly and whispered almost inaudibly.
“Kikyo, Kikyo listen to me. I am going to untie you, but I can’t do that unless you quit thrashing. So, you have to stop. Kikyo do you hear me? You have to stop.”
Her body stopped convulsing but her eyes stayed wild. “He’ll kill you,” she croaked out. Her throat was still incapacitated, but the words she did get out burned through him.
“Maybe. Maybe not. At least you will be free. Okay, you’ll be free.” His mouth found hers in a powerful kiss. It was full of hunger, longing, and love. When he pulled away from her the tears that have wanted to fall since he found out about her infidelities, fell freely. Now, they were tears of fear not anger. “Kikyo, no matter what happens tonight; I want you to know that I never stopped loving you.”
He saw her struggle to tell him she loved him back but the words were hung in her abused throat. Her eyes though they spoke the words she couldn’t. With all of his heart, he saw the love for him in her eyes.
He climbed onto the bed and leaned over her smaller form. His fingers pulled at the scarf around her wrists again. This time though there was nothing to pull his attention away from his task. Not even the water turning off pulled his attention from untying the scarf. The only thing that did was him flying through the air not stopping until his hit the armoire with brute force.
His head bounced painfully off the hardwood floor, his vision swirled. He was on the verge of passing out when a large figure moved to stand above him. Through the haze, he could see the silver gun aimed straight at his head. I’m going to die here, Inuyasha thought. It came to him with terrifying clarity, as if he’d already seen the future. Whether he was ready or not, it was coming. He looked at Kikyo again, but from his position, he could barely make out her form on the bed. The bravado he felt when he freed himself was long gone and in its place was fear. Genuine fear.
The man’s eyes flashed red; he lowered the barrel of the gun and pulled back on the hammer. The clicking noise was deafening. Inuyasha scrambled backwards until he was in a sitting position with his back against the smooth wall. He felt something hard hit his ankle when he moved. At first, he didn’t know what it was, then… My gun.
Naraku found the gun in his Galco shoulder holster, but he missed the one at his ankle. That was something Inuyasha was grateful for. If he would have been in this situation a week ago he would have been shit out of luck. Miroku, you fool. The ankle holster was the best idea you have had yet.
“You know Yash, having an ankle holster could be your saving grace.” Miroku’s violet eyes danced with joy, excitement as he stared at the Galco ankle glove holster.
“I don’t know dude. I think this—“Inuyasha patted his side where his gun lay hidden under his jacket. “—is more than enough. Besides you know how Kikyo feels about all the guns in the house.”
“Ah, so it’s about your woman. Well, Yash, doesn’t she understand that you are in the law enforcement field and all of these guns in the house help to ensure your—as well as her—safety?”
Inuyasha could understand the importance of having a backup, but Kikyo really did hate all the guns in the house. Hell, she didn’t even like his career choice. Still, the ankle holster did seem like a safe investment. He pulled out his wallet and told the clerk behind the counter what he wanted. When he and Miroku left the gun shop, he had his own Kahr PM9 and a Galco ankle holster.
Velcro scratching his ankle brought him back to the present, and with a new resolve, Inuyasha bared down on his attacker. He put his hands on the floor between his feet and as stealthily as he could he pulled the Kahr PM9 from its holster before slowly getting to his feet. The small gun was concealed perfectly in his larger hand. Now, he had the element of surprise.
“I don’t know who you are and what you want is moot because tonight you are going to die and none of it is going to matter.” Inuyasha ground out. His vision was still slightly blurry, but he could see the man before him as clear as crystal. “Now, back the fuck off!” He pulled his arm up and aimed the small gun right at the man’s head. Inuyasha cocked the gun and squeezed the trigger.
In the small room, the gun discharging was deafening. The echoed brought back the long forgotten headache and he breathed deeply. He closed his eyes tightly for a few moments before looking down at the body lying prone on the floor. A sigh escaped Inuyasha. With pure fury, he kicked the leg closest to him and moved back to the bed.
After shaky hands untied the knots, holding his wife down, Inuyasha pulled his naked wife into his arms and let the tears fall freely. He held her tightly, running his hands through her knotted hair. They sat like that for a while, holding each other close. Death was too close for either of them.
Inuyasha sighed warily and pulled Kikyo back from his embrace. “I am going to call the cops.” He got up from the bed and moved to the door, Kikyo was right on his heels. He grabbed her silk robe off the back of the door and handed it to her. She silently draped the fabric over her shoulders and hurried out the door after him. By the time they reached the kitchen Inuyasha noticed she had the robe tied, almost too tightly, to her body. An involuntary shutter ran through his body and with a shaky hand, he picked up the cordless phone and dialed 911.

Inuyasha watched as Kikyo made coffee. The police said it would take them 10 minutes to get to the scene, which was a record. Usually the local precinct would take forever to make it to a private residence. I guess it’s the dead body lying in my bedroom, Inuyasha thought, taking the offered coffee cup from his wife. Kikyo smiled tentatively at him before she took a seat at the table across from him.
He was amazed by her strength. She should be crying, she should be trembling, but she just sat there gazing at him with determination in her eyes. “Inuyasha, I don’t care how long it takes, I am going to make this—us—right again. I lov…”
He never heard gun, he never heard the intruder in the living room. The only thing her heard was his wife’s voice stop and her head hit the table. Time stopped for a heartbeat, before Inuyasha registered what was going on. He cleared the table and took his wife’s lifeless form into his arms.
The world went black; the only thing keeping him grounded was the weight of her and the rocking of his body. Then there were hands on his shoulders, voices in his ears, but he couldn’t let her go. He wouldn’t let her go. He began to fight. “Don’t touch her." his voice was thick with tears, his body rigid, but he still fought. His fist connected with the first person that tried to take her away. Then the second person was tossed back. With pure animal instinct, he went on the defensive and protected what was his.
The hands and voices kept coming. “Stay away from her!” He didn’t recognize his own voice, he just knew that these people were threats and they were coming to take his wife away from him. He just knew they worked for the man he shot in his room.
Through haze and fog, Inuyasha noticed the hands stopped coming, but soon he found strong arms wrapped around him. “Yash?” The voice was soft and soothing. “Yash, buddy, you have to let her go. You have to let us take her.”
Inuyasha blinked through it all—the tears, the fog—and when his vision cleared, he saw the purple shirt Miroku always wore when they went out. He choked back a sob. “She’s dead.” It was a question without a question mark, it didn’t need to be answered. He already knew the answer. With very little force, he pushed from Miroku’s embrace and ran his hands through his wife’s hair. He crumpled to the floor by her chair. Tears streaming down his face. “Kikyo, I will always love you.” His heart exploded when he realized this was the last time he would ever see his wife and sobs began to rack his body.
Once again, Inuyasha felt Miroku’s arms go around him and helped to his feet. The grief and fear he refused to let himself feel poured over him, his knees buckled and if it weren’t for the strength in Miroku, he would have collapsed to the floor.

Through all the commotion in and around the house, no one noticed the dark figure in the shadows across the street. His eyes blazed red with fury. This was not over, but everyone was too busy to notice it.