InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: This chapter has a light dash of citrus content. If that kinda thing makes you uncomfortable you can skip it. It's mostly fluff anyway.

-----------------
 
Kagome laid completely still, her head resting atop Sesshomaru's chest, and watched the sunlight flicker outside their window. A content smile pulled at her lips as she listened to the steady, reassuring thrum of his heart beneath her ear and her hand drifted higher to rest atop his breastbone so she could feel its forceful rhythm. It was a brilliant distraction from the heavy, turbulent thoughts that'd plagued her journey home and allowed her to imagine, just for a moment, that everything was still right in their little world.
 
 
Tilting her head, she peered up at his face from beneath a thick curtain of lashes. His eyes were closed and his chest rose and fell in the steady rhythm of his breaths, but he wasn't sleeping. The gentle pressure of his arm around her waist, holding her possessively close, told her that much.
 
 
They always took the time to relax like this and bask in the afterglow of their love making. These were the rare moments of true peace and contentment they found within the palace walls. Though he never said as much, Kagome knew Sesshomaru cherished the time as much as she did by the way his hands always lingered on her body, never quite willing to let go. With a content sigh to match her smile, she snuggled closer to her mate and breathed in his heady, manly scent. Still smiling, she closed her eyes in the hopes of catching a few minutes of blissful sleep before the real world demanded her attention.
 
 
Had he been the type of man who felt no qualms about opening the floodgates between his heart and his mouth, Kagome probably would've been rather surprised at just how often Sesshomaru thought about her. At the present moment, for instance, he was considering the grim realization he'd made in her absence that their bed was far too large and much too cold without her body in it. He'd given up his solitary life as a rogue wanderer when they'd become mates and he didn't appreciate being reminded of just how much time he'd wasted being alone. The warmth of her body in his arms was much more than a token comfort. He would never find another like her, of this much he was certain.
 
 
With this thought he tightened his hold on her and listened to the soft sigh that escaped her throat. He traced the backs of his claws languidly down her spine in a gentle caress and stopped at the taught curve of her stomach. He could smell the child within her now, hear its fast but steady heart beat, and it stirred within him an overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment. He understood now what it meant to have someone to protect, the lesson his own father had unsuccessfully tried to teach him. The secret to limitless power was so simple he was baffled and a bit shamed that he hadn't figured it out before. Love…the emotion he'd shunned for the better part of his adult life, the ideal he'd scoffed at and mocked others for believing in was the greatest source of his power.
 
 
Sesshomaru's mind turned to thoughts of protecting his kingdom and he began to go over an idea he'd been tinkering with in Kagome's absence. He knew himself well enough to realize that he was as powerful now as he was ever going to be. He'd begun to think that perhaps it was finally time to follow in his father's footsteps and pass on his legacy to his own sons.
 
He smiled inwardly as he realized that he hadn't yet told Kagome they were having a son. He'd known for several weeks now, he could smell the scent of it on her, but he wasn't sure whether she would want to know or not. Somehow he thought perhaps it would be best if he said nothing. In his mind it never mattered; boy or girl it was theirs and that in itself was enough.
 
 
Kagome was unusually quiet, drawing Sesshomaru's thoughts off of his plans for succession and on to her. He glanced down at the top of her dark head and noticed suddenly how tense she was. Something was obviously bothering her, so why hadn't she said anything?
 
 
“I can feel the tension in your body. What troubles you?” he prodded, hoping to encourage her to open up. Though she told him many things he knew there were still some thoughts she deliberately kept to herself. It was frustrating to no end to know that some part of her didn't trust him enough to let him in completely, but he'd realized some time ago that if he was patient she would eventually come to him. Placing his hand on her head he stroked her hair soothingly and felt her heave a great sigh.
 
 
“I'm just worried about you and the baby, that's all,” she replied unconvincingly, shrugging his question off. Sesshomaru's hand paused suddenly and his lips pressed together in a thin line. He could tell she wasn't lying to him, but she wasn't being entirely forthcoming either. What was she keeping from him? Had something happened in her own world he didn't know about? It took only a moment for the outraged snarl to begin building in the hollow of his chest. If anyone had dared touched her he would…
 
 
“What would give you cause to worry about this Sesshomaru?” His voice was controlled, patient, soothing, the polar opposite of the riled up, raw emotions reeking havoc inside of him. He'd long ago learned to suppress them, at least externally, but that didn't mean he no longer felt the full brunt of their force inside. His beast was not happy at the thought that something potentially harmful had happened to his mate while he'd been unable to protect her. Kagome's drawn out silence did nothing to ease his grated nerves and he began stroking her hair once more in an effort to coax the words from her lips.
 
 
Kagome remained silent as she searched failingly for the right words to say. She had to convince Sesshomaru not make the Sword of Supreme Conquest but didn't know how to do it without raising his suspicions. He was a little too keen for her liking. A true predator, he could pick up even the slightest rise in her pulse or body temperature. He would know in an instant if she were lying which made talking to him about the sword all the more difficult. How could she talk him out of making it without telling him what she knew? It seemed utterly impossible.
 
 
“Everything seems so peaceful now,” she finally murmured, more as a reflection to herself than an answer to his question. But this won't last. All this happiness is going to be stolen from us. “It makes me think of before when everything felt like it was going so right. We were ambushed and I spent months thinking you were dead. It killed me inside. I just worry that something like that will happen again. I couldn't survive that, not ever again.
 
 
Sesshomaru grazed his fingertips against the soft skin of her arm in an attempt to alleviate her distress. He hated to be reminded of exactly how badly he'd failed her the first time. He had a lot of pride for a youkai, much of it well earned, but each time he thought of that particular incident it felt horribly bruised. His voice was tight when he spoke next but the gentle pressure of his fingers on her arm never faltered. “You need not worry. I was foolish enough to let my guard down once. I won't make the same mistake again.”
 
 
Turning her face upwards, Kagome caught his eye. “I suppose it makes all the difference now that you have Tetsusaiga with you. You could probably get rid of Tokijin entirely.” He nodded slightly, looking away from her as he thought this possibility over. She was right of course. With Tetsusaiga securely in his possession the Tokijin had become useless and now sat unused in a far corner of his armoury.
 
 
Kagome worried her lip between her teeth as she struggled with what to say next. She was trying her best to tease out whether he'd thought of creating the other sword yet, but so far he was giving her nothing to work with. Feeling the taught, lean muscles of his body beneath her hands she found it hard to believe that he would be dead within a few hundred years, killed by his own sword that he had yet to make.
 
 
It all seemed so surreal - especially the fact that within a few years she herself would be dead. It was an eerie feeling to know that she had so little time left and a cold shiver ran up her spine. It felt like death was constantly watching her now, counting down the days on some invisible calendar until it was time to take her with him. Feeling scared and incredibly alone despite Sesshomaru's warmth pressed against her body, she opened her mouth to tell him everything. If he knew they could battle through it together, just like they'd done before. The thought was tempting but the words turned to dust on her lips. She knew better. To save him, to protect their future, she had to keep it locked up inside even though it was practically killing her.
 
 
“You are right,” Sesshomaru's pensive voice drew her back instantly to their conversation and she blinked wide at him, having forgotten for a moment what they'd been talking about.
 
 
“Tokijin is no longer necessary now that I have Tetsusaiga. The triad needs to be complete though. My power will never reach its full abilities unless I have three swords of equal power. Tokijin is useless and So'unga has been destroyed so I must create another in their place,” he explained thoughtfully.
 
 
Kagome's breath halted in her throat and her body tensed immediately. This was the moment! This was her chance to dissuade him! Snuggling in closer, she stretched upwards and began cover his neck in slow, languid, suggestive kisses at all the spots she knew he liked. She smiled to herself as the sound of a soft rumble emerged involuntarily from the base of his throat.
 
 
“Sesshomaru,” she purred gently. “Do you really need to make another? You're already the most powerful youkai in this region now that you own both Tetsusaiga and Tenseiga. Won't it be a little much if you have three?” Kagome moved her head to nibble on his ear and noticed that his eyes briefly drifted close in bliss. With a knowing smirk he captured her face with his hand and tilted his head down to envelop her lips in a heated kiss.
 
 
“I suppose you have a point, but that doesn't mean I should rest on my laurels while my enemies gain strength. This sword will ensure that these lands remain in our family's hands for the next few generations. I will not let anything jeopardize that.”
 
 
Kagome faltered. He had a point. How the hell was she supposed to convince him otherwise? Running her hands playfully down the defined muscles of his stomach she stopped her hand just above where the sheets loosely rested across his hips. The thin material didn't do a whole lot to hide what was waiting for her underneath. Shooting him a coy smile she ran her hand back up his body and planted a few soft kisses along his jaw.
 
 
“Do you honestly think anyone is going to try to take you on again? You've already proven what happens to those who cross you by slaughtering the northern tribes. Making a new sword for yourself will only encourage those bitter towards your power to join forces and rise up against you. We don't need a war started just because you want to carry around another big sword!” Sesshomaru chuckled softly at her half-hearted scolding, a rare sound even to her ears. He secretly loved it when she challenged him. He didn't let anyone else get away with it but her.
 
 
Encouraged by his show of humour, Kagome continued on her bold tirade. “Besides,” she moved her kisses to his neck until she heard the soft growls rising in his throat once more, “as far as I'm concerned you've already got three incredibly powerful swords in your possession that no other man can contend with.” While her words figuratively stroked his ego, her hand slipped below the thin layer of sheets lying across his body to stroke a more interesting part of his anatomy.
 
 
“Yes, I suppose you are right,” he admitted, momentarily trying to ignore the irresistible warmth flooding through the pit of his stomach. He could feel himself hardening in her small hand as she stroked him and it took everything he had to concentrate enough to finish the rest of his thought. “War must be avoided at all costs.”
 
 
He looked down at her then, his golden eyes glinting dangerously. The playful smile tugging at his lips promised nothing but the most exquisite punishment for her teasing. Lowering his head, he held his lips within inches of hers as he spoke, his voice a husky whisper. “I can think of many things I would much rather do than go to war.”
 
 
Kagome's heart pounded in her chest and her throat went dry as her eyes panned up the body leaning dangerously closer to hers. Hard, sculpted muscles, bronzed from practicing outdoors made up the broad, solid form of his chest. Tantalizing full lips, curved into a knowing smirk had her tongue darting out to wet her own lips. She swallowed hard. She couldn't even bare to make it to his eyes. Just looking at this much of him and feeling him so hard with need against her palm was enough to create a noticeable pool of wetness between her thighs. Kami he's so damn sexy when he wants to be.
 
 
Holding her lips just out of striking range she allowed herself a moment to contemplate what he'd just said. Had her words been enough? Had she convinced him not to make the sword? He seemed to agree with her logic, but he had a nasty habit of changing his mind on a whim. She resolved to check with him again in the morning just to be sure. Nodding to herself she let her eyes finally drift up the familiar angles of his face until they met a pair of hungry golden orbs. A faint blush rose to her cheeks and she only had a second to take in a quick, shuddering gasp before his lips descended on hers and she lost herself in his kiss.
 
------------------------
 
 
Kagome awoke the next morning feeling exhausted and incredibly sore from the previous night's `activities'. It was the good kind of sore though and with a lazy yawn she rolled onto her back. After their discussion she hadn't gotten much sleep at all and she was most definitely feeling the effects of it now. Rubbing at her sleep heavy eyes with an uncoordinated hand, she turned and noticed that she was alone. Sesshomaru's side of the bed was cold; he'd apparently left some time ago to attend to the matters of the state.
 
 
Her forehead creasing in thought, Kagome pondered whether she should bother bringing up the sword issue again. She realized with a disconcerted frown that he very well could've just been agreeing with her in the heat of passion. She had been stroking him pretty mercilessly. He was experienced and more controlled than most, but even he wasn't impermeable to her attentions.
 
 
Pushing the heavy covers off of her body she laid still for a moment, allowing the cool air to wash over her. It felt relaxing to be free from the restrictions of sheets and clothing, even if it was only for a moment. For some reason, now that her stomach was so large nothing felt comfortable on. Even the soft cotton sheets felt like brillo pads against her skin.
 
 
After rolling haphazardly out of bed, she managed to slip on her slippers with a groan of effort. She'd only just cinched the yukata at her waist when Rin and Shippo burst noisily into the room with her breakfast tray. Kagome jumped at the noise and stifled a surprised scream. Whirling on her heel she started and then felt herself relax once she saw who it was. Easing herself down on the edge of the bed she braided her hair easily and greeted them with a warm smile.
 
 
“So what did you two cook up this morning?” she inquired as she sniffed curiously at the covered tray balanced between them. It smelled like scrambled eggs and bacon and her mouth instantly watered at the thought of eating a nice salty piece of bacon. She'd heard about food cravings during pregnancies but hers were getting to be pretty ridiculous. She craved meat of any kind all the time, the redder the better, and even after gorging herself she never felt full. She sincerely hoped her cravings had everything to do with the fact that she was carrying an inu youkai in her belly.
 
 
Her stomach growled expectantly at the warm, inviting aroma of food and she actually cried out with happiness and clapped her hands when Rin lifted the tray with a flourish to reveal eggs, bacon, a sausage and a bowl of fresh fruit. It wasn't a traditional Japanese breakfast but heck, nothing had been normal since she'd been pregnant, least of all her taste in food.
 
 
After waddling over to the table to sit properly, she hastily devoured the strips of bacon still steaming from the grill. “You two are amazing! This tastes delicious!” She exclaimed, her eyes wide with enthusiasm. When the bacon was no more she took her time with the rest of the food, pausing every now and then to catch up with her adoptive children.
 
 
When they were done telling her about the new gardener, and the soldiers teaching them new sword techniques in the yard, and the trick Shippo had played on the cook - turning every fruit and vegetable in his kitchen green - she inquired about Sesshomaru's whereabouts. Nearly mirror images of one another, the pair paused, pursed their lips and rolled their eyes towards the ceiling as they thought it over. Rin was the first to pipe up.
 
 
“I think I heard Master Jaken mention something about Lord Sesshomaru going somewhere today.”
 
 
Shippo's auburn head nodded emphatically up and down, his green eyes growing wide. “Oh yeah! He's going to visit Totosai!”
 
 
They pair glanced worriedly up at Kagome as her chopsticks suddenly slipped from her hand and clanged nosily against her plate. Suddenly the delicious warm breakfast filling up her stomach felt like a solid lead brick and dropped it to the floor.
 
 
“What's wrong Kagome? You look so pale! Did something you ate taste bad?” The fox demon studied the empty plate and worried his paws in front of him. Rin stepped forward, concern aging her young face and gently patted Kagome's thigh. Taking a sip of water with a shaky hand, she waved them away weakly and sat back in her chair, hand overtop her racing heart.
 
 
“I'm fine Shippo. I think I just ate too fast, that's all. I'll be fine in a moment,” she lied easily and gave him the most convincing smile she could muster. He nodded understandingly, but she could tell from the suspicious glint in his eyes that he wasn't entirely convinced. Right now though, she honestly didn't care. If Sesshomaru was on his way to see Totosai, it could only mean one thing - he was going to have his sword made. She'd failed. Now, unless she could find some other way, the fate of both her mate and their unborn child was sealed.
 
 
Rin placed her hands over Kagome's arm and peered up at her curiously, wondering why there were suddenly tears glistening in her eyes. “Kagome? Are you sure you're okay?”
 
 
Kagome nodded her head and patted Rin's hands distractedly. “It's nothing Rin,” she stated blandly, dismissing her concern. “Why don't you and Shippo go outside and play for a bit. I think I just need to lie down for a few minutes until I'm feeling better okay?” The girl's dark eyes told her she understood something was seriously amiss but she went with Shippo nonetheless.
 
 
When the door shut behind the children Kagome grabbed hold of her breakfast plate and flung it against the wall in a flash of heated anger and frustration. Sesshomaru you fool! Feeling the guilt of her failure overwhelm her, she put her hands over her face and cried bitter tears, letting them cascade down her cheeks in scalding torrents. It was all over and she'd done nothing to stop it.