InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

After nearly an hour of sulking and crying, and realizing she was out of fine china to break, Kagome decided that she wasn't going to sit back and give up. There had to be another way! She was determined to get answers and knew they rested with Akira back in her own time. It hadn't taken much to convince Ah-Un, Sesshomaru's trusting demon companion, to escort her back to the well. Now riding high above the countryside her small hands clutched the leather pummel of his saddle in a white knuckle grip.
 
 
She hated flying. The others would probably be surprised to discover that she'd always detested it, and had preferred Inuyasha's back to Kirara's simply because he stayed on the ground. She was almost certain everyone had assumed it was because of their special bond that she and Inuyasha traveled together, but that wasn't entirely true. Those days and those friends felt far behind her now, existing in a time long since lost, compared to the gravity of the situation that faced her now.
 
 
Forced to close her eyes against the crisp mountain wind whipping at her face, Kagome remembered the mysterious demon's last words to her. If you should be unsuccessful in your attempt, come back to this time and I will find you. As his words rang through her head, crystal clear as if he'd just spoken them in her ear, she couldn't help but wonder how he was involved in all of it. What was in it for him if they succeeded? What would he have to sacrifice if they failed?
 
 
Knowing so little about the silver-haired demon who demanded her help left her feeling uneasy. She understood why, for time continuum reasons, he couldn't tell her who he was, but not knowing created a wall between them that made it increasingly hard for her to trust him. For all she knew, he could be the enemy! By helping him she could be sealing Sesshomaru's fate without even realizing. What proof did she have other than her gut instinct telling her to trust him that she should? Was that enough of a reason to put her life and her child's in danger?
 
 
If it meant saving Sesshomaru and their soon to be born son, she knew she had to do whatever the demon asked, regardless of the cost of sacrifice. She wouldn't be herself if she did otherwise. She was dedicated to her friends and family and knew she would do anything to protect them. Some might see it as a fault, to be so willing to risk everything for the sake of someone else, but she liked to think it was her best attribute.
 
 
Yes…Akira would find her, he had to. All she had to do was make it back to her own time and find the answer before Sesshomaru returned from his meeting with Totosai. She didn't expect him to be back for several days and could only hope it would be enough time for her to get back herself.
 
 
 
As she sailed over Kaede's village, Kagome peered down at Inuyasha's hut and pondered absently if he'd decided to stay with Shizuka or not. The girl had seemed respectable enough, but Kagome felt deep down that she wasn't right for him. She didn't have enough guts and she wasn't unique in any way - just another run of the mill feudal wife. Inuyasha is going to get bored if he marries someone like her, she mused and then realized what she was saying. Give it a rest Kagome! Inuyasha's love life is none of your business anymore! With one last look towards the hut she knit her brows together and focused instead on the task ahead of her.
 
 
Leaving Ah-Un to chew on some grass in the meadow by the well, Kagome made sure to instruct him not to leave under any circumstances. The last thing she needed was to return from her own time to find herself with no way back to the Western Lands.
 
 
It took a few moments of cumbersome rearranging to get her body perched on the lip of the well. She studied her sandaled feet as they swung back and forth over the dark abyss. Kami my feet are swollen…With a sigh she glanced back over her shoulder, just to double check Ah-Un was still safe and sound, before giving them a little wave and disappearing from sight.
 
 
When the brilliant glow of the time shifting light had dissipated, Kagome looked up with relief at the dark paneling the shrine's dilapidated roof. Even though she'd been back and forth through the well hundreds of times she always got apprehensive at the thought that at any time she could end up stuck on one side or the other. She had no idea what she'd do if that happened since so much of her life was tied to both worlds.
 
 
Feeling a wave of exhaustion sweep over her, Kagome rested her head against the cool stone and dirt wall of the well for a moment. She breathed in slowly, absorbing the smell of rich, damp earth from all around her, letting it permeate and wash over her senses. Standing at the bottom of this hole, she actually felt safe. Perhaps if she stood there long enough, she thought wistfully, her problems would just take care of themselves. Shaking off the exhaustion, Kagome straightened her spine and talked herself into feeling energized and light as she took hold of the ladder that would lead her home.
 
 
Emerging into the yard, sweaty, panting and even more exhausted than before, Kagome waved at her mom who was helping Gramps sweep up whatever blossoms the wind had missed. She entered her old house expecting to hear blissful silence but as usual Sota's video game was running full blast, its bleeps and blips cutting through the quiet with annoying clarity. Letting out a small sigh of resignation, she shuffled her way through the main part of the house in search of her brother. She finally found him in his room with his eyes glued to the television.
 
 
“Hey Sota!”
 
 
“Kagome? What are you doing back so soon?” her mouth twisted into a wry smile and she put her hands on her hips as she stared at him offended.
 
 
“Well hello to you too! Hmph!” As she turned in the doorway to storm down the hall to her own room, she came up short, her face stopping just inches from a familiar looking red haori. With a yelp she jumped back and looked up to find Inuyasha staring down at her.
 
 
“Oh hey Kagome,” he called out cheerfully. “What are you doing here?”
 
 
Feeling the anger and frustration boiling over inside of her, Kagome balled her hands into tiny fists at her side as her face turned a furious shade of red. “What's wrong with both of you!? Last time I checked this was my house too! I have just as much right to be here as you guys you know!”
 
 
Inuyasha and Sota stared at her dumbstruck and shrank away from her. They knew better than to mess with Kagome when she looked like that. Inuyasha actually winced out of habit, remembering all too well what it felt like to be `sat' on a whim.
 
 
Realizing she was taking her frustrations towards the whole Sesshomaru situation out on them, she tried to save face and quickly backed off. With a dismissive wave of one hand, she rubbed the other across her face. “I need to lie down,” she confessed wearily. “I'll be in my room if you need me.”
 
 
The boys stared after her in silence, neither one feeling quite brave enough to follow her. “Wow, I don't envy Sesshomaru having to put up with that!” Inuyasha muttered when she was out of ear shot and Sota nodded his head readily in agreement.
 
 
Once in her room Kagome slammed her door shut and flopped down onto her bed. Since she had no other way to contact Akira, she figured it would be best to wait in her room for him. At least then he wouldn't have to look all over the shrine for her. She only hoped that he had some alternate plan of action in mind. She really didn't want this to be a lost cause, not when there was so much at stake.
 
 
After several hours of restless tossing and turning, Kagome awoke to the sound of loud pounding, which she thought at first was her head before realizing it was only her bedroom door. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes she sat up and called for whoever was knocking to enter. It was Inuyasha. He opened the door a crack and peered in cautiously. When he saw that she wasn't going to kill him, he let himself in and shut the door behind him with a soft click.
 
 
“Sorry about before,” she apologized wearily while rubbing her hands over her face. “I just feel like I'm losing my mind sometimes.” Inuyasha shrugged and took up residence on her desktop.
 
 
“Keh, forget about it. I'm used to you harping on me. I actually began to miss it I think,” he brushed her apology off with a cocky smirk and quickly glanced at the moonlight outside her window.
 
 
Kagome smiled inwardly at the irony. She'd been expecting to be speaking to Akira in this position, but here was Inuyasha instead. The way he sat perched on her desk, the curious intensity in his eyes when he'd looked at her…it was remarkable how alike they were. God, I really am losing my mind, she thought and shook her head to clear it.
 
 
“So, I thought about what you said before,” he began cryptically. Dropping his eyes to his lap he plucked self-consciously at the folds of his haori. Kagome tilted her head to the side, her face a mask of thoughtful contemplation and waited for him to go on.
 
 
“When you said that maybe I wasn't ready to move on yet…well I think maybe you were right. I just wanted my life to feel normal but when has my life ever been normal?” He looked to Kagome, his eyebrows lifting in question and she smiled at him reassuringly.
 
 
“Well I'm glad you didn't jump into things. I'm sorry things didn't work out with Shizuka. All I want is for you to be happy. You deserve that after everything you've been though.”
 
 
Inuyasha chuckled at her comment. His eyes were drawn once more to the window and he stared into the branches of the tree next to her room for a long moment before speaking. He sounded slightly distracted when he asked, “You think so? I dunno…maybe guys like me aren't supposed to live happily ever after.”
 
 
 
Kagome opened her mouth to respond but ended up letting out a surprised shriek. The baby let out another forceful kick to her ribs making her wince in pain. Rubbing the tender spot just below her right ribs she shot Inuyasha an apologetic smile.
 
 
“How much longer?” he asked before lightly hopping down from the desk.
 
 
She shrugged and looked down at her belly as she mentally calculated how long it'd been. “Oh not too much longer, only a few weeks I think - unless he decides to come early of course.”
 
 
Inuyasha crouched down in front of her and looked up, silently asking for permission. When she nodded he tentatively placed his hand against the hard ball of her stomach and smiled when he felt a tiny kick against his palm in response.
 
 
“So Sesshomaru told you it was a boy then? He must know by now.”
 
 
Kagome shook her head `no' and filed that little tidbit of knowledge away to mull over later. How long had Sesshomaru known they were having a boy? she wondered. If he did know, why hadn't he said anything? Men are so strange, she thought with a small smile.
 
 
Realizing she couldn't give away anything, Kagome let out a light laugh and rubbed her belly in small concentric circles. “Nope…it's just a feeling I have. Call it a mother's instinct I guess.”
 
 
Inuyasha stood up smoothly and stepped slowly over to the window. The stars were just starting to peek out from the curtain of darkness across the sky. He stared hard at the dark shadow of the tree branches, the very ones he'd once sat in, and shrugged easily. “Well, whatever you end up having you're gonna be proud. Your baby's got my family's blood in its veins. If it's anything like the rest of us it'll be healthy, strong and stubborn as hell with a lightning quick temper.”
 
 
After saying this Inuyasha fell quiet before adding solemnly, “Plus he'll have two parents to care for him. What more could a kid ask for?” When Kagome made no response he turned and glanced at her over his shoulder, surprised to see her silently crying into her hands. Stepping back from the window he knelt in front of her once more and took her shoulders in his hands, shaking them lightly. “Kagome! What's wrong? Are you in pain?” His eyes danced anxiously across her belly but at the feeble shake of her head he stopped.
 
 
Kagome shook her head again and tried to speak but the only thing that came out were more pitiful sobs. Inuyasha's words had struck a chord. She hadn't let herself fully accept what was going to happen in the future until this moment. The pressure of her mission had finally crashed over her like a tsunami wave and it'd sent her head reeling. When he pulled her into a comforting hug she clung to him desperately, grateful for the support, and cried into his shoulder.
 
 
“Kagome…Tell me what's wrong! I can help…” he whispered soothingly as he stroked her hair, feeling helpless to comfort her any other way. After another moment of tears she finally pushed him away and shook her head `No'.
 
 
“Inuyasha,” she hiccupped. “No…you don't understand. I can't-,” she paused mid-sentence, her words swallowed by another hiccup, and clumsily wiped the tears from her eyes with the back of her hand. When her warm honey brown orbs opened once more, still bleary with salt water, a flash of silver and the green hue of a set of poisoned claws cut across her vision. She barely had time to scream.
 
 
“Akira! NO!”