InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A tiny ball of white light grew and dissipated at the entrance to Totosai's cave. In its wake the imposing form of the Lord of the West stood motionless. The roaring rivers of molten rock that spluttered up from the earth basked his pale skin in a warm orange glow and cast wicked shadows across his expressionless face. Sesshomaru's mouth twisted into a frown, his golden eyes unenthusiastically taking in the desolate landscape surrounding him.
 
 
It'd been decades since he'd last bothered to set foot here. The fetid stench of sulphur and brimstone hung thickly in the hot, heavy, air and suffocated all means of life. No plant or animal dared exist within the inhospitable arid expanse. Sink holes filled with molten rock and geysers of hot steam ready to explode at any moment threatened all but the strongest of demons with certain death. Were it not for the fact that the old man was the best demonic sword maker in the east, Sesshomaru knew he would not be there at all.
 
 
Silently entering the cave, he immediately spotted the senile sword smith snoring loudly, curled up comfortably next to the fire. He let out a quiet snort of irritation at being inconvenienced thus and hastily withdrew his Tenseiga. In one fluid motion he drove it into the ground next to the old man's head and waited impatiently for him to rise. As expected, the sword pulsed brightly in recognition of its maker and the brilliant light forced Totosai from his slumber.
 
 
Sitting up groggily, he squinted at Sesshomaru, deep wrinkles creasing the aged skin of his face. “Why are you here?” he croaked moodily.
 
 
When the taiyoukai ignored his impertinent question, his eyes were immediately drawn to the Tenseiga which he quickly withdrew from the earth. Five nobby fingers ran along the edge of the blade until they reached the tip, where they tapped gently as if to judge its sharpness. Clucking his tongue disapprovingly, Totosai turned his back to Sesshomaru and shuffled over to the hearth. It glowed bright orange in the dimly lit cave and from where he stood, Sesshomaru could easily see the waves of heat radiating from its mouth. Without hesitating, Totosai thrust the fang inside and took a step backwards, dusting his hands off on his shabby clothes.
 
 
Sesshomaru watched the old man move about the cave with passive curiosity before he finally decided that it would be necessary to speak with him if he wanted anything done. “I require a new sword,” he stated curtly. The old man whistled softly to himself, ignoring him, and pulled Tenseiga's red hot blade from the flames. He brought it close to his face and stared hard at the scorching red blade. After a moment he shook his head disapprovingly and shoved it back in the coals.
 
 
“A new sword?!” Totosai griped indignantly. “Why should I make such a thing when there's nothing wrong with this one? You were always so ungrateful!”
 
 
Sesshomaru scowled and cracked his claws menacingly at his side. What he wouldn't give to rip out the old man's throat. If he didn't need him he would've done so already. The sword smith's utter lack of respect towards a demon of his calibre was more than just an insult. With every word he spoke in that condescending tone, the one that always reminded Sesshomaru of being reprimanded as a child, he was reminding the taiyoukai of facts he preferred not to dwell on. Facts such as the one that was the hardest to swallow - his father had felt that a newborn hanyou was more fit to inherit his empire than him, his full-blooded demon son.
 
 
He'd never been given the opportunity to surpass his father the way he should have. That was why this new sword was so important - with it he would finally surpass his father in power and prestige. He would be master of his own domain and he would at last owe nothing to the man who'd betrayed him.
 
 
Any response he might have made to Totosai's belligerent comment was abruptly drowned out by the loud clang of Totosai's hammer beating against Tenseiga. Sesshomaru watched with mild distaste as the old man lifted the useless fang from the anvil, eyed it critically, and then blew a large stream of flame onto the metal. “I don't need to explain my reasons to you. If you refuse I will find another,” he threatened coldly. He had no patience for this foul old man and even less when he questioned his motives with such insubordination.
 
 
Totosai seemed to consider his comment thoroughly as he hammered away. When he was at last satisfied, he dipped Tenseiga into a basin of cool water and locked eyes with Sesshomaru's through the rising steam. The dog demon was surprised to see that the old man's gaze was clear and sharp, a far cry from his normal bumbling state.
 
 
“I do not disagree. You could find another, but you know as well as I that it will never be what it could be. You may dislike me Sesshomaru, but you still know that I am the best. Otherwise, you would not have come.”
 
 
Sesshomaru ground his teeth together and suppressed a growl in the back of his throat. He hated being challenged, particularly by one as weak-minded and insolent as this sword maker. Though he would never admit so aloud, he realized that Totosai was right. As much as he disliked the ancient fool, he needed him to fashion a new sword made from his own fang.
 
 
Sesshomaru's face remained a mask of disdain as he slowly dragged his claws through his silver hair before flipping it over his shoulder in an elaborate gesture. “I require a sword made of my own fang. It is time to harness my power as my father did.”
 
 
Pulling Tenseiga out of the basin, Totosai picked up a ragged cloth and began to polish it. He whistled tunelessly to himself as he did so, stopping only briefly to toss another snide comment Sesshomaru's way. “Yes, yes, I understand that you want another big sword to wave around, but you still haven't told me why I should make you one.” His haughty challenge hung heavily in the strained silence that followed, yet Totosai refused to spare even a fleeting glance for the demon lord.
 
 
Sesshomaru stared blankly at the old man and cursed the fool under his breath. What more reason did he want? He'd obviously made his father's swords with no complaints, so why was he being so stubborn about it now? “I have need of this fang. I have many enemies and I must protect what is mine.”
 
 
The icy conviction in Sesshomaru's voice made Totosai glance up and he nodded his head with understanding. “Ah yes, that is a noble cause. You need me to make you a sword so you can protect the ones you love, correct? That was your father's reason as well. Very well, very well, I will make your sword but it will take time.”
 
 
“How long?” Sesshomaru's face remained impassive but his heart skipped with excitement. He accepted his freshly polished Tenseiga from the old man's hands with hardly a spare glance and slipped it smoothly into the sheath at his hip. Soon the power he desired, the supreme power his father had never possessed would be his. He felt giddy, like he'd just drunk himself into happy oblivion on the finest rice wine.
 
 
The old demon scratched his balding head and stared up at the ceiling thoughtfully. After a moment he shrugged haplessly at Sesshomaru.
 
 
Soon…it would be soon…his fingers practically tingled with the anticipation of feeling the handle locked in their grip.
 
 
“Oh, I'd say about seventy-five years or so, give or take a few decades.”
 
 
So…not as quick as he'd thought. It was no matter though. In response, Sesshomaru tossed a large bag of gold at the old man's feet. Totosai eyed the bag thoughtfully but didn't make a move to pick it up. Instead he grabbed a pair of pliers from his table of tools and marched over to his customer.
 
 
“Well then, open up,” he demanded briskly, lifting the pliers into view. The dog demon growled out a warning before eventually opening his mouth to allow the sword maker access. He tried to block out the annoying tuneless whistling that had erupted once more as the fool fixed his tool around one of his fangs.
 
 
“You know, I never thought I'd live to see a day when you actually cared about someone other than yourself. For a while there, we all thought you were a lost cause. Good to see you've come round though…Ready? Ichi, ni, san…”
 
 
Totosai yanked the fang out of Sesshomaru's mouth just as the demon let out a great roar of anger. He grabbed the old man by the throat and suspended him over an open pit of molten rock, his acid laced claws picking against the leathery skin of his neck. Blood red eyes glared menacingly at the sword maker who lifted his hands defensively but did not appear frightened in the least.
 
 
“Now, now,” he said calmly, his patronizing tone ringing through clear, “You didn't expect me to harness your power without any pain did you? Everything has a price Sesshomaru, everything.”
 
 
With a final warning growl the demon lord set the old man on the ground and watched him extract the fang from where it was nestled between the pliers. It glowed green and appeared to hum in his hands before he tossed it into the hearth. After several moments of puttering around he realized that Sesshomaru was still standing there and impatiently waved him off.
 
 
The taiyoukai left reluctantly, snorting indignantly at being treated with such disrespect. He stepped out to the mouth of the cave and felt his body relax almost instantly. He breathed in the warm but fresh air of the outside world, thankful to be out of the fetid, heavy heat of the sword maker's den. With a quick glance to the sky he transformed himself once more into the same delicate ball of light and eagerly began his journey home.
 
 
----------------------
 
 
Inuyasha stirred from where he'd been thrown awkwardly to the floor and glared up at the silver-haired hanyou. Kagome stood next to him, her eyes wide with surprise, salty tears still streaming down her cheeks, her mouth hanging open in shocked silence. She'd pushed him out of the way in the nick of time. How she'd seen or heard the demon was beyond him, but somehow she'd known and she'd saved his life. He could feel the cool air rushing against the heated skin of his back from where the acid-laced claws had sliced five large gashes through the material of his outer haori.
 
 
“What the hell?” Inuyasha managed to choke out as he found himself being wrenched up off the ground and lifted into the air by his collar. Within seconds he was brought face to face with the snarling, scowling, livid face of the as of yet unnamed half demon.
 
 
“Stop it right now! What are you doing?” Kagome demanded angrily, her tiny fists beating futilely against the demon's arms. He paid her no regard, his azure eyes flashing with rage as he glared at the human in his clutches.
 
 
“I saw what you were trying to do,” he seethed, his voice low and menacing as he addressed Inuyasha directly. “How dare you touch her like that! Filth like you have no business placing their hands on the Great Priestess!”
 
Inuyasha stared at the demon dumbfounded, having absolutely no idea what he was going on about. Great Priestess? Does he mean Kagome? “Hey look buddy,” he cut in, his usual cocky attitude returning even though he was mere seconds away from being torn to shreds by his opponent's claws. “I don't know who you are or what you think you're doing here but you've got it all wrong! Ask Kagome what's really going on before you jump to conclusions!”
 
 
Akira growled low in his throat and brought Inuyasha's face within inches of his own. “Did I tell you you could speak human?” The word hung in the air, dripping with condescension and disdain. If he didn't know better Inuyasha would've thought he'd been thrown back to the days of his childhood when every demon, including his own brother, had regarded him much the same way for being a hanyou. He opened his mouth to make another belligerent retort but Kagome cut him off.
 
 
“Akira! Put Inuyasha down right now!” The demon glanced at her surprised, as if only just remembering she was there. Inuyasha narrowed his eyes and let them pan once more over the face of his opponent. So…Akira's his name…
 
 
“But my lady, I saw him! He was trying to-” Akira objected loudly, gesturing with his free hand towards Inuyasha. Kagome narrowed her eyes at him, her hands going to her hips where they sat balled into tiny fists.
 
 
“He was giving me a hug because I was upset. He was just trying to comfort me!” she explained with an exasperated sigh and a roll of her eyes. “Now put him down before I get really pissed off!”
 
 
“As you wish,” Akira acquiesced with a minute bow of his head and dropped Inuyasha unceremoniously to the ground. Ignoring him completely he gently took hold of Kagome's shoulders and looked her directly in the eye as if searching for any hint of fear. “So you're okay then? This scum wasn't trying to take advantage of you?”
 
 
With a relieved sigh she nodded and smiled up at him reassuringly. “I'm fine. I'm not so sure about Inuyasha though.” Turning to him with a sympathetic grimace, she watched him pick himself up off the floor.
 
 
“Kagome who is this guy?” he demanded, standing up to his full height. Akira snorted at the question but Kagome rested a placating hand on his arm.
 
 
“Inuyasha, this is Akira. He's a demon from my time. He's my…friend. Akira, this is Inuyasha, Sesshomaru's half-brother.” Both men glared at one another, their looks saying rather plainly that if they were alone they would be no cordial introductions.
 
 
“This can't possibly be Sesshomaru's brother,” Akira scoffed rudely. Kagome tilted their head at him curiously, her brows shooting upwards. Inuyasha sneered. “The Inuyasha of legends was half-demon, not a human,” Akira explained confidently as he gave Inuyasha a look that said `HA! I caught you!'
 
 
Kagome sighed inwardly and pressed her hand to her forehead to ward off anothing impending headache. This was so not her night. “Inuyasha used to be a half demon,” she explained slowly but she was quickly cut by Inuyasha's rough voice.
 
 
“I used the Shikon Jewel to become human so Kagome and I could be together but she chose Sesshomaru. I took a gamble and came out on the losing side. That's all there is to it. Got any other questions you wanna ask?”
 
 
Kagome gasped softly, hurt that he would describe what'd happened between them in such a cut throat way. It was the truth, but somehow in her mind it sounded a good deal more romantic and not nearly as harsh as he put it now. She'd hoped he'd dealt with the change at least a little bit by now but apparently that wasn't the case. She could hardly blame him for being bitter though. Given the circumstances, she was surprised he still wanted to see her at all. Every time he did it had to be a painful reminder of what he'd lost. She couldn't imagine being able to withstand that much pain if their roles were reversed.
 
 
Inuyasha's explanation didn't seem to convince Akira though. He knit his brows together and examined Inuyasha doubtfully. Finally he shrugged his shoulders and ran his fingers across his chin as he thought it out. “I suppose I'll have to take your word for it. I don't buy your little sob story but that's an entirely different matter.”
 
 
For the past few moments Kagome had been silent, her mind quietly reeling as the two men shot one another death looks across her bedroom floor. Akira's words repeated over and over again like a manta in her mind -The Inuyasha of legends was a half demon. Her eyes suddenly went wide with realization as the last puzzle piece slipped into place. Gasping with surprise she glanced up Akira, her hand flying to her mouth.
 
 
“Wait! Are you saying that-,” He cut her off with a sharp look and a curt shake of his head. Without a word from him she understood instantly what he was trying to say and what she'd almost done. To say anything more would risk upsetting the delicate balance of time. Akira's eyes shifted warily to Inuyasha who stared right back at him, refusing to back down an inch.
 
 
“So what you're saying is that you remember me as a half-demon right?” Inuyasha demanded and Akira shot Kagome a disapproving frown.
 
 
Just as stubborn as he'd ever, Inuyasha folded his arms in front of his chest and waited expectantly for one of them to answer his question. He didn't like being left in the dark and had a feeling that there was definitely something big going on. Another nagging thought told him that whatever it was, it probably had everything to do with this mysterious stranger and Kagome being so upset.
 
 
“To put it simply, yes. I remember you as a half-demon but I only met you once and I was a very small child,” Akira finally explained as he massaged his temples to ease the headache brewing there.
 
 
Inuyasha eased himself down onto Kagome's bed and stared at the floor in disbelief. Was it possible? Could he really become a half-demon again? Being a human wasn't as horrible as he'd thought it would be, and he was slowly but surely getting used to it, but he knew if he had the chance he would become half demon again in a second. He hated being weak - the attack on him tonight had been a clear indicator of just how weak he'd become and he hated it.
 
 
At the touch of Kagome's arm around his shoulders he glanced up at her. She offered him a thin smile. “Don't let yourself get too excited okay? You never know, he could be wrong. I just…” Here she paused and worried her bottom lip between her teeth, obviously searching for the right words. “I just don't want you to be disappointed if things don't work out the way you'd hoped.”
 
 
Inuyasha nodded his head understandingly and looked to Akira, his eyes shining with determination. “Whatever is going on here, I want in,” he demanded, leaving no room for argument.
 
 
Akira rolled his eyes and lifted his hands towards the ceiling as if asking the gods to help him. Slapping his palms noisily against his thighs he paced back and forth across the floor of Kagome's room. “I really don't want anyone else involved. The more people who know, the more disruption there is to the time line,” he explained to Kagome, ignoring Inuyasha completely.
 
 
Kagome pressed her lips together and gave Inuyasha's arm a reassuring squeeze. Stepping in front of their visibly agitated companion she forced him to stop in his tracks. “Akira please…look at me. It's only a few weeks until I'm due. Whatever we have to do to make this work, I'm going to need help. I trust Inuyasha with my life. He may be human but he's stronger than any other guy I know. He's saved me countless times, so please let him help. For me.”
 
 
Akira placed his hands on Kagome's shoulders and gave her an understanding smile. Letting out a sigh he rolled his eyes to the ceiling and shook his head, hardly believing he was giving in so easily. “How does Lord Sesshomaru ever say no to you?” he inquired jokingly when he saw her beaming smile.
 
 
“He doesn't,” she laughed before joining Inuyasha on the bed.
 
 
The laughter in the room died off as soon as it'd begun once everyone made the sobering realization of why they were all there. Inuyasha had yet to hear about how Kagome had failed to stop Sesshomaru from making his sword. He waited patiently, legs crossed beneath him, for the rest of the story while Kagome and Akira racked their brains in tense silence for some way to destroy Sesshomaru's fang before it destroyed him.
 
 
------------------
 
Author's Note: I hope you enjoy this latest revised edition. Bad blood between Inu and Akira already…sheesh! Please leave a review! Thanks!