InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Sword of Supreme Conquest ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Now what?”
 
The long silence that followed Inuyasha's weighted question was heavy enough to be suffocating. Through the open window a cool breeze filtered into the room and stirred the hair that hung loose around his face. Kagome had just finished explaining the details of the mission, along with everything else Akira had told her. The only outward reaction he'd had at all was the constant thrumming of his fingers against the carpeted floor.
 
For those who didn't know him it would've looked like he was merely fidgeting, but Kagome knew from many years spent by his side that he only did that when he was upset. Anxiety, fear, anger, they all made him twitch the same way. She felt guilty the moment she'd finished speaking and bit her lip to keep more words from spilling out.
 
How could she have been so thoughtless? When he'd demanded to be a part of this he hadn't known what he was getting himself in to. She'd known yet she'd willingly dragged him in just so the burden on her own shoulders would be lessened. She felt disgusted with her selfishness and almost hoped that he refused. Not only was she asking him to risk his life to help her, but she was asking him to risk it for the one man he hated more than any other. His only true enemy after Naraku - his brother, her mate, Sesshomaru.
 
 
Kagome clenched her fists against her thighs and waited in strained silence for him to say something, anything, but he didn't speak a single word. He continued to sit in silence, his face frowning, his eyes glued to the floor. His fingers drummed away in a constant, steady, rhythm against the floor, one that was just fast enough to match the tempo of her racing heart. Would he help? A part of her hoped with all her might that he would say yes but she couldn't forgive herself for it.
 
 
Inuyasha stared hard at the floor, his mind reeling. Of all the things he'd expected…never this. Kagome was going to die. He swallowed hard, then swallowed again. Kagome was going to…die. The lump of fear that closed up his throat refused to go away. Kagome was going to die. Those words, said so calmly by the girl sitting across from him, had just torn his entire world in two and no matter how many times he repeated them to himself his mind refused to accept them.
 
 
There was nothing he could do to save her, no enemy he could protect her from, she was going to die and there wasn't a damn thing in all the world he could do about it! The only thing he could do, the only option left at all, was to help her find this sword. Help her carry out her mission to change Sesshomaru's fate and the future. Perhaps if they were successful…he didn't dare to hope for something so impossible.
 
 
For a long while he refused to speak, hardly daring to do the one thing that would reveal just how much her story had affected him. He had to be strong…for both of their sakes. That was why she'd asked for his help wasn't it? Because she wasn't strong enough to handle this on her own. Wasn't that why she'd brought him here? Did she need to hear him say that they could do it no matter what, that he would help her no matter what it cost him? She should need to hear those words. After all these years didn't she already know that he do anything for her?
 
 
“I know,” Kagome piped up suddenly, breaking the heavy silence. “Why don't we go to Totosai and tell him to not make the sword?”
 
 
Akira and Inuyasha shot her identical reproachful looks and shook their heads, nearly perfect mirror images of one another. Had the situation been less serious Kagome would've laughed at how comical they looked.
 
 
“Don't you remember? Humans can't get to Totosai's layer, only demons and half demons can,” Inuyasha chided. Kagome hung her head realizing with a mental smack to the forehead that she really should've known better.
 
 
“There are other factors involved as well,” Akira spoke up, continuing where Inuyasha left off. “For one, I can't go through the well. I'm stuck in this time so anything that happens in the feudal era is completely up to you two. Another thing you seem to be forgetting is that Totosai is bound by his contract with Sesshomaru. It isn't as simple as telling him not to make it. If he's already agreed to it then we're stuck.” He glanced towards Kagome and noted the sombre nod of her head. “Only Sesshomaru has the power to break the contract.”
 
 
At this both Kagome and Inuyasha hung their heads in defeat and picked at the carpeted floor with their fingertips. It seemed so hopeless. Akira's scowled face held no glimmer of hope either as he perched himself on the edge of the bed. The springs protesting noisily under his weight and he chaffed his hands together noisily as he thought. The sense of defeat was so strong it was almost palpable, a bad omen to be sure considering their mission had only just begun.
 
 
Akira suddenly bounded to his feet, a look of revelation on his otherwise chiselled features. “I think I have an idea!” he explained to the startled faces glancing up at him. “Since we can't stop the sword from being created, we'll just have to find a way to intercept Totosai before he gives it to Sesshomaru!”
 
 
“And just how the hell are we supposed to do that?” Inuyasha demanded, his face still scowling darkly. His eyes were narrowed with suspicion, showing Akira exactly how enthusiastic he was about his “revelation”.
 
 
“Manipulate the well of course! If you two can travel to a time 425 years in the past then you can take the sword and prevent all of this from ever happening!”
 
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes crudely. “Apparently your excitement's muddled your brain. Maybe you know of some ingenious way to manipulate the well but Kagome and I sure as hell don't.” With his arms crossed in front of his chest he scoffed at Akira's suggestion and turned his head away, suddenly finding the scuffed side of Kagome's old school desk incredibly fascinating.
 
 
Still bristling, Inuyasha watched Akira massage his hand along the back of his neck, apparently while trying thinking of another smart ass answer to their conundrum. They barely understood how the well worked as it was and now suddenly they were trying to figure out how to manipulate it? The plan had bad idea written all over it and as the saying goes…things are usually easier said than done.
 
 
Without warning Akira suddenly leapt up once more and darted to the window. Calling over his shoulder that he would be back soon, he leapt out into the night leaving Inuyasha and Kagome in stunned silence.
 
 
“I wonder what that's all about?” she asked curiously, her eyes drifting from the open window to Inuyasha's face. He shrugged in response. So far this Akira guy rubbed him the wrong way but he could tell Kagome had faith in him so he kept his thoughts to himself. The last thing he wanted to do was upset her, especially when she already had so much to cope with. He suddenly found it nearly impossible to look away from the warm brown pools in her eyes and even more so when she offered him a gentle, if small, smile.
 
 
“Are you scared?” he asked suddenly and watched with dismay as the smile faded. She tilted her head inquisitively as she looked at him.
 
 
“About the mission?”
 
 
He shook his head and stared hard at the ground. The staccato rhythm of his heart pounded in his ears. For once he was thankful it was night. She wouldn't be able to see the embarrassed, angry flush that'd suddenly risen to his cheeks in such dim lighting. He still couldn't comprehend…and yet the words were out of his mouth faster than he could stop them. “No, I mean…are you scared knowing you're gonna to die?”
 
 
Kagome relaxed her back against the mattress of her bed and gazed thoughtfully up at the ceiling. Of course she was scared. No that was wrong…she was terrified. Every night wicked, vivid dreams woke her, dreams of Sesshomaru finding her lifeless body. The pain she saw in his amber eyes night after night hurt her heart to a degree she'd never thought possible. Kami all she wanted to do was crawl in a hole and hide out of sight until that day of reckoning passed, but she knew that was impossible. She had duties and responsibilities to take care of and other people to worry about right now. She didn't have time for self-pity.
 
 
“Yeah,” she whispered softly, “but in a way I'm grateful.” Seeing Inuyasha's confused expression she hugged her knees to her stomach and explained further. “It's forced me to realize that I need to appreciate every day and not waste any of them. I may only have a few years left, but I'm going to make them the best years of my life. You know…go out with a bang, that whole thing.”
 
 
“You know, I really appreciate you helping us with this,” Kagome said before shuffling closer to her old friend. “I know how you feel about Sesshomaru so I'm surprised you even offered.” Her brow wrinkled in thought before she added as an afterthought, “You don't have to. If…if you want to back out I won't think any less of you for it. There's no sense risking your own life-”
 
 
Inuyasha cut her off with a sharp look and the rest of her words died on her lips. “As if I'd do any of this for that ungrateful bastard.” Seeing her crestfallen expression he scrambled to soothe her with gentler words. “I know how upset you'd be if something happened to him. That's why I offered to help. When I said I wanted you to be happy I meant it.”
 
 
“Thank you.” Her voice was barely a whisper as she tried to speak past the tears of gratitude that welled up in her eyes. “You're such a good friend to me.”
 
 
At her words Inuyasha pressed his lips together and frowned. The last thing he wanted to be told was that he was a good friend. It was like a knife to his heart every time she reminded him. Not that she did it on purpose of course. She couldn't help the fact that he loved her, and would always love her. It was just the way things were. He'd grown to accept it over time, a little bit more each day, but now that she was by his side again he was finding it increasingly hard to swallow the bitterness down.
 
 
The heartfelt moment abruptly ended when Akira landed softly on the carpet next to them. His body was crouched low to the ground and Kagome took a double take. For the briefest of moments she'd was transported back in time - to the day when Inuyasha had first transformed into a full demon. The resemblance was remarkable, if a little frightening. As soon as Akira settled onto the floor with his legs crossed in front of him the spell was broken and Kagome shook her head to rid herself of the memories.
 
 
“So what's this big and wonderful thing that's gonna help us?” Inuyasha demanded dubiously, the impatient look on his face revealing his scepticism. Akira ignored the sarcastic jab thrown his way and pulled out what appeared to be a very old sheath. He placed it on the carpet between them and looked at his two companions expectantly.
 
 
“Is that-?” Kagome asked, reaching her fingers out to touch it. The leather and enamel of the sheath were both well worn and felt warm beneath her fingertips. The once shiny, lacquered ebony surface, now dulled with age, appeared to pulse as she brushed her fingertips across it.
 
 
“Yes, this is what I believe to be the sheath of the Sword of Supreme Conquest,” Akira answered her unfinished question. Inuyasha squinted at the sheath before snatching it off the ground to test its weight in this palms.
 
 
“And where exactly did you get it?” he inquired, hoping to catch him in a lie. He definitely didn't trust this guy, no matter what Kagome said. She'd always been a good judge of character, but then again so had he. What he wouldn't give to have some of his demonic senses back now, particularly his sense of smell. Maybe then he'd know where this half breed came from and what exactly he was up to.
 
 
Akira shrugged off the interrogation and rested his hands on his knees. “I stole it from the Museum of Natural History. Sorry I took so long. There was some extra security and a couple of guards I had to take care of first.” Inuyasha tightened his grip on the sheath and felt it pulse in response before it shocked his hand, forcing him to drop it to the ground.
 
 
“What the hell?” he questioned aloud as he looked down at the ancient relic now abandoned on the floor. “That thing just shocked me!”
 
 
“I guess it doesn't like your attitude,” Akira remarked coolly before gently picking up the sheath to examine it for himself. Seeing Kagome's disapproving stare he waved a hand dismissively. “Don't worry we'll return it when we're done.”
 
 
Kagome reluctantly sighed in agreement. If the relic could help them in their quest then it was necessary to have, even if that meant stealing it from the museum. “So how's this going to work?” she asked as he handed it to her. It hummed beneath her touch and emanated a gentle aura that warmed her skin up the length of her arms. After staring at it for a long moment she slowly brought it up to her ear, hoping it would speak to her as So'Unga had. She couldn't mask her disappointment when no voice emerged from the cracked enamel. In time the warm glow slowly died away leaving a dirty, worn out relic in its place.
 
 
“An enchanted sheath will always be able to summon the sword that belongs to it. You must remember using Tetsusaiga's sheath that way,” Akira explained, nodding towards Inuyasha. Arms still crossed and face frowning in concentration, the former hanyou merely grunted in response.
 
 
“I think if you and Inuyasha go back down the well and you bring the sheath with you, it'll bring you to a time when the sword's already in existence. Then all you'll have to do is find it and destroy it,” Akira explained this with as much authority in his tone as he could muster considering he hadn't a clue whether it would actually work or not.
 
 
“Sounds easy enough,” Kagome commented, wagering a small, hopefully smile. Maybe they could get this thing done and over with within a couple of days and then life could get back to normal! She longed to be at Sesshomaru's side and hoped that he wouldn't be too upset with her for leaving.
 
 
“Yeah it sounds easy,” Inuyasha drawled cynically, “but we both know it isn't going to go that smoothly. What happens if we meet you in the past? Are you gonna try to attack me again like you did tonight or will you have some sense in your brains by then?”
 
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes at Inuyasha's crudeness but looked to Akira for answers all the same. “What will happen if we meet you in the past? Are you going to know who we are? Are we allowed to explain any of this to you?”
 
 
Putting his hands up defensively, Akira shot them both a cocky smile. “Don't you worry, I've already thought about that too.” Reaching into his shirt he pulled out a silver chain from the inside pocket. He dangled it in the air in front of them, making sure the dim moonlight caught the solid face of a locket hanging from it.
 
 
Opening the empty locket, he set it on the floor in front of him. With a swift bite he punctured the skin on one of his fingers and allowed a few drops to land in the locket. Kagome and Inuyasha watched in awed silence as the deep red blood swam around in the metal before transforming into a clear liquid. With a tiny pulse of light that spread throughout the locket and the blood was gone. The necklace itself hadn't changed, but for one who was trained as a priestess Kagome noticed the enchantment instantly.
 
 
“What did you just do?” she asked hesitantly as her fingers reached out to touch the locket. Akira picked it up swiftly from the floor and deposited it into her open palm. The thin silver chain dangled between her fingers as she held it up to the light. She could feel the power emanating from it now, pulsing from its core like a beacon. It practically glowed from the strength of it and it made her feel uneasy to have it around.
 
 
“I've infused the locket with my blood. If you wear it when you go into the past you will carry the scent of my blood on you. Any demon or half demon will recognize their own scent. If I'm around I'll find you and you can explain to me then what you're doing. That necklace is an heirloom so I should have no trouble recognizing it.”
 
 
Kagome nodded thoughtfully and closed the locket shut with a soft click. Handing it to Inuyasha she turned her back to him and lifted her dark wavy hair off her neck so he could put it on her. With a click of the clasp she felt the solid weight fall against her chest and quickly tucked it beneath her shirt where it sat warm and pulsing above her heart. Grabbing hold of the sheath, she pushed her body off the floor and snatched her jacket from where it'd been carelessly tossed atop her bed.
 
 
When Akira and Inuyasha looked at her dumbfounded she motioned for them to stand as well. “Come on! What are you waiting for? Let's get this party started!” and with that she opened her bedroom door and marched outside, her feet making a bee line for the shrine and the Bone Eater's well.
 
 
--------------------------------------
 
 
Author's Note: I'd love to hear thoughts from any readers out there about this chapter or where the story is going so far. Do you like it, do you hate it, are you bored with it, will you keep reading it?
 
 
Personally I've always hated this chapter, mostly because I feel like it's too boring. I like action in my stories and I've re-written this one three times but I'm still not satisfied. It is important to the plot since several key things are said in this chapter that are going to play a HUGE role in the events to come.
 
 
I promise the story gets more action packed from here on out so if you are iffy right now please bear with me and at least read the next chapter before deciding you've had enough.
 
And thank you always to the kind people who've already taken the time to review. You guys are just awesome. You make my day every time. Thank you!
 
Until next time…
 
-Langus