InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It's not mine. It never was. The only characters I own are the ones not previously created by Rumiko Takahashi.

--------------

Teaching Rin

Chapter 7

Trouble to the North

--------------

Kaida's next few weeks in the Western Lands were actually quite pleasant, apart from the minor fact that Sesshomaru seemed to be utterly pissed at her. She would wake early every morning, have breakfast with Rin and the ice Lord, the he'd take off to do only Kami knew what while she and Rin shadowed the headwoman Keisha for a couple of hours. After they were done with the rounds, Kaida would take the human girl to her daily lessons that would last up until lunch. After lunch, which Sesshomaru usually avoided, Kaida would use an hour or so to quiz Rin on what she'd been taught up to that point. After the review session, the two women would usually part ways..at least until one of them got bored and sought out the other. The routine worked for the two of them, and Kaida was slowly starting to fall into her role as an instructor with a tad more grace.

Granted, the less she saw of Sesshomaru, the better off she was, but she knew for a fact that the demon Lord would habitually seek out Rin, or call her to his side during the evening times to question her about Kaida's teaching. The only way she knew this was because Rin had told her so every time it happened. Apparently, he was still angry with her for her apparent 'disregard of his orders' when she had enlisted Keisha's assistance, but she had heard nothing about it again since that evening he tried to beat her to the ground during their spar in the dojo. She was immensely grateful that she did not have to deal with the stoic Lord on a regular basis, because she didn't think her temperament could handle it.

So, imagine her surprise when, not too long before the sun was about to rise, there was a knock at the screen that led into her room. Kaida had not even finished dressing for the day when the intrusion came. She thought nothing about it since a servant came every morning to check on her well being. So, without a second thought as to who it was, Kaida - still dressed in only her short sleeping robe- pulled the screen back, only to come face to face with Sesshomaru.

She was momentarily angered to see the Lord standing there, taking in her attire, or lack there of. But she straightened up and moved to the side, bowing slightly and allowing him access to the room. She had nothing to hide from the dog, and she was not shy about her body like most women had been taught to be. She'd been a soldier long enough, and had lost the majority of her modesty a long time ago. Besides, she had a distinct feeling he'd seen his share of female bodies before her own.

"Something the matter, my Lord?" she asked respectively, knowing that their stations were that of equal status, and that the title was unnecessary, but she hoped that using it would keep him from arguing with her so early in the morning.. "Something you need?"

"I wish to speak with you concerning some things before Rin makes her presence known." he answered coldly. Kaida nodded, and shut the screen before turning to face him, wondering what was so important that he had to speak with her before the sun was even in the Eastern horizon.

"What did you need?" she asked.

"Ronin and his two sons will be arriving in a few hours, shortly after the morning meal." he said pointedly.

"Okay." Kaida said, nodding. "And?"

"I want to see how Rin's time with you has been put to use." he said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Fine." Kaida said. "I'll tell her at.."

"No."

"Excuse me?" Kaida asked, confusion evident on her face.

"I forbid you to tell her of their arrival." he said simply.

"You want to see how she handles this when she's not expecting it?" Kaida asked.

"Correct." Kaida nodded in understanding.

"Will she have time to go to her morning rounds with Keisha? Or will they be here before we are finished?"

"You will not have time."

"Okay. Anything else?"

"Make sure you are appropriately clothed and ready." he said, moving to leave the room. "I will not have you looking like some vagabond while staying at this castle."

"Sorry to burst your bubble, my Lord." Kaida said stubbornly. "But I'm not dressing up."

"Just make sure Rin is presentable." he said. "Although I'm sure she could show you the proper way a woman is expected to look when receiving guests."

"And you know damn good and well I'm no 'proper' lady, my Lord." she sneered. Sesshomaru only looked down on her as if she was the scum beneath his books and walked out of the room. Kaida slid the screen back into place and fumed at the dog demon that had just left. It never mattered when they spoke, he always had to say something rude about her. "Damn bastard." she mumbled, reaching next to her futon to grab a set of training clothes. "Sometimes I wish he'd just disappear all together! Nobody would miss his arrogance, that's for sure."

----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------

After breakfast, Kaida made it a point to make sure that Rin looked nicer than normal. When Kaida told her that their rounds with Keisha were going to be put on hold until the next day, Rin's curiosity was piqued, and she wanted to know what was going on. Finally, she managed to crack Kaida's defense and get her to tell her what was going on, and why their routine had been interrupted.

"Lord Ronin and his two sons will be arriving shortly." the demoness said with a sigh. "Sesshomaru believes this to be a good chance to practice what I've been teaching you the past few weeks."

"They're coming here?" Rin asked, her eyes going wide and her nervousness kicking into overdrive. "Is something wrong?"

"I don't know, Rin." Kaida answered, shaking her head. "Sesshomaru has not told me anything else besides that they will be arriving shortly after breakfast."

"After breakfast? You mean now?" Rin asked.

"Yes." Kaida said, noticing the girl's fidgeting. "Rin, what's wrong?"

"Uh..I don't think this is such a good idea, Kaida." she said quickly. "You've only been teaching me for a little while. I haven't learned enough..."

"You'll be fine." Kaida said, shaking her head. "It's not hard. Just greet them and then show them to the Council Room. After that, you go get Sesshomaru."

"I can't do this!" Rin said. "What if I do something wrong? I don't want to embarrass Lord Sesshomaru, or you either."

"You'll be fine." Kaida said. "I'll be with you to keep things from getting too awkward. Besides, Ronin is one of the Lords that doesn't put all that much merit on the manners thing. He's more laid back than Sesshomaru or Haruto, so you'll be fine. I promise he'll have you laughing within two minutes of seeing him. And if not, Hoshi or Kentaro will."

"You sure?"

"Trust me, those kitsunes are full of tricks, and will be until the day they die." she said. "You'll be fine. And if you really want to get on their good side, throw back a few comments to counter their own, and they'll love you for ever. Just don't do it if Sesshomaru is within hearing range." Kaida smiled and nodded in Rin's direction. "It'll be fine. They're not going to bite your head off, I promise."

There was a knock at the screen and Rin opened it, seeing one of the castle servants standing there.

"Lady Rin, we have visitors." the tanuki said, bowing deeply to the two women.

"Who is it?"

"The Eastern Lord and his two sons."

"We'll be down momentarily." Rin said, dismissing the servant.

"Yes, m'lady." the tanuki said, walking back down the hall quickly.

"Well," Rin said, straightening out her obi and kimono.

"No point in keeping them waiting, Rin." Kaida said.

"I don't want to do this."

------------------

"You'll be fine, Rin." Kaida murmured, reassuring the girl when she lightly gripped her shoulder. "I'm here." Rin nodded and pushed the entrance mat to the side, walking out with her head held high and a welcoming smile on her face. Kaida looked at the reactions of the three kitsunes standing in the courtyard when they stepped down and began crossing the slight distance at a steady pace.

Ronin ended his conversation with his sons and the guard and watched as the two females walked towards them. Kaida knew the fox Lord was one of he more sensible rulers who had an easy going nature the majority of the time, but it was easy to see that he was concerned over whatever news he was bearing. His posture was tense and Kaida could see the tiny lines in his forehead when he squinted against the morning son.

Hoshi, his eldest son, and heir to the Eastern lands upon his death, was the exact image of his sire. Proud, tall, and just as handsome with long brown hair and a set of eyes bluer than the sky. Even the ears atop his head had the little white markings at the very ends.

And last was Kentaro, the youngest son, who seemed to be acting the most normal out of the three males present. Kaida noticed the mischievous glint in the young kitsunes face when they walked out and the way his dark blue eyes seemed utterly cemented to her student's every move. He was just a little shorter than his brother and father, and had black streaks in his hair that his brother and father lacked. His ears were also the same solid brown as the majority of his hair.

"Lord Ronin. Lord Hoshi. Lord Kentaro." Rin said, welcoming the Eastern Lord with a smile and a deep bow. "It is good to see that you have arrived well. I trust your trip was pleasant."

"As pleasant as can be considering the nature of the news I bring, my Lady Rin." Ronin said, immediately noticing the differences in the human girl from the last time he had seen her at the Lord's Council a few weeks ago.

"What seems to be the problem, Lord Ronin?" Kaida asked, nodding in the direction of Hoshi and Kentaro.

"Thankfully, nothing that concerns you right now, Lady Kaida." he said. "But I do have need to speak with Sesshomaru as soon as possible."

"My Lord is awaiting your arrival." Rin answered. "Please, follow me and I will escort you to the Council Room."

"Many thanks, my Lady." Ronin said, motioning his sons to follow with them. Rin lead them up the steps and to a small room off to the side of the living areas of the house. Once they were inside, Rin excused herself, saying she would prepare some tea for them and inform Sesshomaru of their arrival. Kaida, however, remained standing beside the wall until Rin was out of ear shot and on her way to retrieve Sesshomaru.

"You're doing a fine job with her, my little dragon." Ronin commented easily to Kaida as she took a seat next to him. He had given her the nick-name after watching Hoshi spar with her one day, and only used it when he was truly impressed with something she had done. "She will make some demon a wonderful mate...so polite."

"Rin is a wonderful student." Kaida answered. "Her studiousness more than makes up for my inability to teach something as complex as social manners."

"Looks to me like you're doing fine." Hoshi said with a grin. "She's not as jumpy as when she was at the meeting a few weeks ago."

"You're not here to praise me about Rin's achievements, obviously." Kaida said, leveling he eyes at the three kitsunes present. "What's going on?"

"There have been some problems along our borders with the North." Hoshi answered. "It seems as though Haruto is gathering his forces in number and readying for an attack."

"Against who?" Kaida asked. "Things have been peaceful for such a long time. What's stirred all this up?"

"That's the problem....we don't know." Kentaro said, shrugging his shoulders. "Rumor has it among the troops that he's really mad at one of the other families and is getting ready to attack them."

"You been playing investigator, Hoshi?" Kaida asked, referring to the demons inherent ability to switch his forms to that of his choice.

"Yes." Hoshi said. "And Kentaro has been listening to his friends again. So we've gathered enough information to be concerned." Kaida nodded, knowing of the younger son's ability to manipulate plants and animals

Rin returned at that moment, along with Sesshomaru, and a tray of tea for everyone. She sat the tray down and moved to serve them, only to be stopped by her guardian.

"That is all, Rin." he said. "Kaida and yourself are excused." Kaida, who had been sitting with the kits, sent a glare in the dog demon's direction that would melt ice. Kentaro snickered at the sight, but managed to cover it up as a cough. Never the less, Kaida rose and bowed to the demons present.

"Good day, my Lords." she gritted, turning to leave along with Rin. There was no point in arguing with Sesshomaru in front of Ronin and the others. It would get her no where. She waited until Rin was out of the room before forcefully sliding the screen back into place, giving the males a good idea of how mad she was at being dismissed like that by Sesshomaru.

"Hoshi. Kentaro." Ronin said quickly, looking at the door Kaida and Rin had just exited.

"Yes, father?"

"Why don't you two go keep Lady Rin and Lady Kaida company." he said simply.

"Sir?"

"The information we need to share with Lord Sesshomaru is not for her ears." Ronin said, looking pointedly at Kentaro, then nodding towards the Western Lord. "And I do believe Lady Rin's curiosity will lead her to hear things she need not. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, father." Hoshi said, standing up and following his brother out of the room. Sesshomaru waited until he heard all four sets of footsteps diminish before turning to the fox across from him, his normal stoic expression in place.

"What is all this about, Ronin?"

"We've got a problem, Sesshomaru. A big one." Ronin answered simply. "Haruto's out for blood."

"And what does that have to do with me?"

"At the moment, nothing." he said. "But it has everything to do with those two ladies that my sons are currently in the company of."

---------------------

"Lady Rin!" Kentaro called out. "Lady Kaida! Hold on a second!" Kaida turned around and was more than a little surprised to find both Hoshi and Kentaro standing outside the meeting room. The two kits caught up with the women quickly and continued to walk down the hallway and out towards the courtyard.

"They kick you out as well, I see." Kaida said with a frown.

"Did you need something, my Lords?" Rin asked.

"No, nothing at all, Lady Rin." Kentaro said. "Father just thought we could keep two such lovely creatures as yourselves entertained while he attends to business with Sesshomaru."

"In other words, he's trying to make sure we don't eavesdrop?" Kaida said simply.

"My father stated that their discussion was not for the ears of Lady Rin." Hoshi said regally. "So it is our job to keep you away." Kaida let a small smile escape when she heard the phrasing of that. 'So, they don't want Rin to hear what's going on, but Ronin didn't say anything about not telling me.' She nodded and continued to walk out the building and into the sunlight.

"Sneaky bastard kitsune." Kaida mumbled. "How long is this going to take?"

"A few hours at the most." Hoshi said.

"Yeah, so let's find something to do. " Kentaro said.

"Why don't you show Lady Rin that puzzle you were trying to figure out the whole way here?" Hoshi suggested. "It is still in the packs on the horses. Maybe she'll have better luck with it than you will, little brother."

"Yes, of course." Kentaro said, "I forgot all about that annoying little trinket." He took Rin's arm and gently lead her towards the stables and away from the other two demons present, talking a mile a minute. The human girl shot Kaida a puzzled look, but Kaida only nodded and smiled, giving her the okay to go with the kitsune attached to her arm.

When they were out of hearing range, Hoshi actually laughed and shook his head, watching as his little brother continued on talking about something and keeping Rin's attention from wavering back towards her instructor.

"Is it just me, or does it seem like my younger sibling has grown quite attached to Lady Rin during the small time he has known her?" Hoshi asked. "He was fussing the whole way over here. Father was about to laugh himself to death, seeing Kentaro so nervous around a female."

"Yes, he's usually the one that has them hanging on both arms and around his scrawny little neck." Kaida commented. "I noticed it as well. You had better warn him away from her, though."

"Warn him, of what?" Hoshi asked.

"Sesshomaru will draw and quarter him if he finds out Kentaro's taken a shy to Rin." she said, shaking her head. Hoshi just laughed and shook his head, imagining his brother trying to get away from the enraged demon Lord. "He's quite protective of her."

"I'll bet he is." Hoshi said. "She is quite pretty, to be a human."

"Yes, she is." Kaida said, her hands on her hips. "Now tell me what the devil is going on that's so important."

"My brother and I just got back from border patrols the other day, Kaida, and we found something quite interesting concerning not only you, but Rin as well......"

---------------------

Rin and Kentaro entered the stables and immediately went to the two white horses and the black one that they had ridden on their way here. Rin was quite nervous around the kitsune, not exactly knowing how to act. But she remembered what she had done at the Lord's meeting, and how she had acted around him before. Then she remembered what Kaida had told her about throwing some sarcastic comments back at the flirtatious kitsune, as long as Sesshomaru wasn't in the area.

"So, how have you been, Lady?" Kentaro asked, searching in a saddle pack for the little pieces of wood that compromised the puzzle he was working on. "It has been a few weeks since our last meeting."

"Well enough, my Lord." Rin said with a sigh. "Busy if nothing else."

"Kaida teaching you anything useful?" he asked, pulling out a handful of notched pieces of wood, each no longer than his index finger.

"Actually, she has been most helpful, Lord Kentaro." Rin said, petting the horse's nose that was closest to her.

"Do me a favor, will you, Lady Rin?" Kentaro asked, looking over at her with a grin. "Drop the titles, please. They get on my nerves." Rin shrugged and nodded.

"Only if you do the same." she said, returning the smile. "Of course, I can't if Lord Sesshomaru is around. I don't want to get Kaida in any kind of trouble."

"Not a problem." he said, fishing out the last little piece of wood from the saddle pack. "Ah! Got'em all!"

"Is that the puzzle?" Rin asked, looking at his hands and only seeing eight pieces of notched wood.

"That's it." he said. "You're supposed to be able to arrange the pieces so that they will stay together without holding them. Somehow, they fit together to form a ball, but I haven't figured it out yet. I can get them to fit together, but I can't get them to stay." Rin looked at the pieces in his hands and took them into her own, trying to figure out how it would work.

"Put them together and let's see what we can figure out." she said. Kentaro quickly placed all the pieces together, notch to notch, until he had indeed formed a small ball out of the pieces.

"But watch," he said, a frown on his face. "They won't stay together if I remove my hand." The fox removed his hands and the pieces fell flat, into a small heap in his hand. Rin looked at the pieces carefully and thought of someway to make it work. She backed up leaned up against the water trough that the horses drank from.

"Are you sure this will work?" she asked.

"Yeah, my older sister Hoshika got it to work, but she won't tell me how she done it." he said, the aggravation apparent in his voice. "I just can't figure it out." Rin moved to his side and took the pieces into her own hands, arranging them into the proper position, only to have them fall apart in her hands, just as they did in Kentaro's.

"I don't know." Rin said. "It seems impossible to me. How are you going to be able to get it to stick together if you don't use something to bond it? It's not possible." Across from her, one of the horses neighed softly, as if agreeing with her, then dipping it's head to take a drink of water.

Rin watched the horse for a moment before an idea struck her when some water dripped out of the trough. Keisha had told her one morning when she was doing her rounds, that things often expanded in water. It was how the boats along the coast were kept from sinking. She had also seen how rice would expand when it was cooked, usually doubling the actual amount present when it was done cooking. A smile came to her face and she looked back over to Kentaro, who was looking down at the pieces of wood in his hands.

"I've got an idea of how it will work." Rin said suddenly, walking over to him and peering down at the wooden pieces.

"I'm all ears." he said, his brown fox ears wiggling as proof, causing Rin to giggle slightly at the cute sight. She got herself under control and looked back at the fox, who seemed utterly ecstatic that he'd gotten her to laugh.

"Well," Rin said, "I may be wrong, but try this. Wood expands when it's left long enough in water, correct?" she said.

"Yeah." Kentaro said, understanding the logic she was going with. "That's why all the bulls of my father's ships are built in the water."

"Well, if you put the pieces of that puzzle together, and bind them with something to keep them from coming apart, then put them in some water, the wood will expand and the notches will too." she said, a smile on her face.

"And once the wood expands all the way, the notches won't come out of each other." Kentaro said, a grin on his face. "Hey, that makes sense. Now why didn't I think of that?"

"Well, let's see if it works?" Rin said. "Put them back together." The kit quickly put the pieces back together to from a small ball.

"Do you have anything to secure it with?" he asked, looking at Rin. The human girl looked around, but could find nothing, so she pulled the ribbon out of her hair and handed it to him.

"Use this." she said, handing him the silky strand of material.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I don't want to take your ribbon from you."

"Go ahead, it'll be okay." she said, smiling at him. "I want to see if it works the way we think it will." Kentaro looked surprised, but took the ribbon none the less, quickly wrapping the ball in the material and fastening it off.

"Well, now we just need to drop it in some water and wait." he said.

"Put it in that bucket." Rin said, pointing to the watering bucket sitting on a shelf. The kitsune quickly retrieved the pail and scooped some water out of the nearby trough. He carefully placed the wrapped ball of wood in the pail and set it down.

"It will take a little while." he said. "The wood needs time to absorb the water. We can check it before I have to leave today. What else do you want to do?"

"How about we go see what Kaida and your brother are doing?" Rin asked.

"You don't like being around me?" Kentaro asked, his ears drooping slightly. Rin smiled back at him and petted his head. "I'm hurt."

"It's not that I don't like being around you, Kentaro. It's the opposite really." she said, causing him to grin. "But I've heard that your brother has a perchance for practical jokes, and Kaida is just as bad. I think we need to go make sure they haven't rigged something to fall on Lord Sesshomaru's head after you leave."

"Well, that sounds good to me." he said, grinning at her. He took her arm and led her out of the stables and back towards the courtyard. Rin smiled and shook her head. She hadn't known the kitsune next to her very long, but he reminded her of her friend Shippou in many ways. They were both just as hyper and eager to please as the other. And she liked having someone around that made her laugh. Shippou's letters always contained some kind of funny story about what Inuyasha and Kagome's children had gotten into, or some kind of joke they had pulled on one of the villagers. Of course, she suspected that Shippou had a large hand in the pranks as well, despite his words to the contrary.

And even though she was not used to having so much attention on herself from someone other than Jaken, Sesshomaru, or Kaida, Rin found that she liked being around Kentaro. He always made her laugh, and she wondered if all kitsunes were like that, or if it was just him. Of course, she drew the comparison that Shippou always had her in hysterics when she got to see him every now and then, and drew the conclusion that it was just a trait that all fox demons had.

'Well, whatever it is, I sure don't mind being around it.' Rin thought happily as they walked back into the courtyard, searching for Kaida and Hoshi. 'I don't mind it at all.'

-------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------

A/N - Hey everyone. I hope you guys like this chapter. Things are starting to pick up now, and you'll find out exactly what's happening in the next chapter. Oh, and if anyone is wondering about the puzzle Kentaro had....it really does exist. I've got one. And it works the exact same way. :)

Until next time,

A.A.

Please remember to leave a review. I want to know what you guys are thinking. ;)