InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. The only character I own is Kaida, and her family members. Everyone else belongs to their respective owners.

A/N - Thanks to all those that reviewed. I’m glad everyone seems to like this story thus far; I actually expected it to be a complete failure.

----------

Teaching Rin

Chapter 9

Repercussions

----------

By the time she had gotten to the opening gate that led out of the Western fortress, Kaida had lost track of Rin. The human girl had all but disappeared in the split second Kaida had lost sight of her.

She had seen Rin run from the main building of the living quarters, wiping at her eyes furiously as the tears escaped. She had been quite alarmed, quickly taking off after her and almost missing the guilt stricken look on Kentaro’s face when he too exited the building. It was apparent enough that something had went horribly wrong, and it was Kaida’s job to find out what it was.

The dragon woman quickly called Ishika to her side. The winged beast could search for the escaped Rin from the air while she herself took the land route. After giving the huge reptilian beast her orders and sending her off, Kaida took to the gardens on the Eastern side of the fortress, hoping the human girl had taken refuge there.

She scoured the gardens as thoroughly as possible during the quick search, but came up empty handed. She frowned harder, and scoured her mind for the most likely places she could be hiding. Luckily enough, a few minutes later, a deafening roar off to the north of the grounds alerted her that Ishika had found the escaped girl.

A couple of frightful minutes later, in which Kaida had went through every bad situation and worse, she managed to catch up with her dragon companion and young student.

Ishika had found the girl deep in a thick hedge more than likely, and just pulled her out apparently. There were telling rips in Rin’s formal kimono, and leaves and twigs in her hair. Kaida gave a half grin, compromised of equal parts relief and chagrin at the way Ishika had managed to catch Rin.

The human girl was currently sitting on the ground, head in hands and crying her eyes out. Encircling her were the deadly sharp talons of Ishika, forming a makeshift cage around her so that she couldn’t escape. The dragon had apparently just plucked Rin from the hedges, set her down on the ground, and caged her to keep her there.

As Kaida jumped down from the tree she had landed in, Ishika let out the dragon equivalent of a grumble, causing Rin to look from the large reptile to her teacher with a more than guilty expression.

“Rin?” she asked gently, waving the large reptile away from the obviously startled girl. “Rin?”

“Go ‘way.” came the muffled reply. “Just go away, Kaida. Leave me along, please.” Kaida walked over to the girl and knelt down, placing a comforting hand on Rin’s shoulder.

“What happened, Rin?” she asked gently. “Calm down and tell me. What’s got you so upset?” Rin’s bawls simmered down until Kaida hear her hiccupping uncontrollably.

“He said I was hopeless.” she mumbled, tears still going down her face. “He said I could never be the right way.”

“Who said this, Rin?” she asked, pulling the girl into a hug. “Tell me, please. Did Kentaro tell you that?”

“Lord…Sessho..maru….” Rin said brokenly, her spirit broken and feelings hurt. “He told Lord Ronin that I was worthless because I was human.”

“Sesshomaru told Ronin that you were worthless?” Kaida asked, completely puzzled. “I have a hard time believing that, Rin.”

“He did, though.” she cried. “And he said I’m a burden and that he’s going to send me to the Northern Lord so I can mate on of Haruto’s nephews! Kaida, I don’t want to go to the North! But he said that he would send me if it would stop a war from breaking out!”

“Rin, hold on a moment.” Kaida said, shaking her head. “I think you misunderstood him. There’s no way…”

“I didn’t misunderstand anything!” she said loudly. “He said human blood. The reason I would never fit in was because of my human blood!”

“Rin, you’re not the only one with human blood around here.” Kaida said, her patience wearing thin with the girl’s hysterics. “I’m part human as well.”

Rin quit crying and looked up at her tearfully. Kaida sighed and used her hands to wipe the remaining tears from the young girl’s face. “You forgot that, didn’t you?”

Rin just nodded and sniffled, trying to stop the flow of tears.

“But I don’t want him to send you away, either.” she said quietly. “Please don’t go and leave me here, Kaida.”

“There’s nothing I can do about that.” she said, shaking her head. “If Sesshomaru is willing to hand me back over to my father to prevent a war, I can not do anything to stop him.”

“I still say he’s talking about me.” she mumbled quietly. “And I’m not going north without a fight of my own. I‘ve heard the stories about what Lord Haruto does to the women in his family. And you‘ve told me how horrid they are. I‘m not going up there!”

“Rin…” Kaida warned, sensing trouble was about to start brewing. “Don’t do something silly and get us both in trouble.”

“I’m not going to get either of us in trouble.” she said simply. “But if Sesshomaru is so bound and determined to turn me into a lady and ship me off, then so be it.”

“Rin….” Kaida began, only to be interrupted by the teenager.

“No, it’s okay, Kaida.” she said huffily. “He wants a lady, then he’s about to get one. Let‘s see how much he likes it when I put into practice what you and Jaken have been teaching me. Lord Sesshomaru never did like change all that much. Let‘s see if he likes the changes that I‘m supposed to be making, then.”

------------------

Kaida was not too sure about what Rin had in mind concerning her new behavior, but she knew it would not be good. And once again, her gut feeling had been right. The changes Rin had imposed on herself were apparent that evening during dinner.

Instead of her normal, everyday kimono, Rin had dressed in a formal red and white kimono of the Western Lands. The young woman’s hair had been put up into a complicated knot, and secured. Even her fingernails, which were usually dirty and ragged, were cleaned and trimmed.

The change was so hugely apparent also in the way that she held herself, tall and proud. But Kaida was beginning to wonder exactly what the teenager in front of her was playing at. And as if Rin’s attitude change wasn’t bad enough, Sesshomaru seemed to think she’d done something wrong because he kept shooting pointed glares between her and Rin.

“I will be expecting a number of visitors tomorrow.” he told the two females right before dinner was over with. “Be prepared for their arrival starting in the morning. “ Kaida and Rin nodded. “Rin, I wan to speak with you after dinner.”

“Of course, my Lord.” she said respectfully, the customary warmth in her voice completely gone. Sesshomaru merely nodded, sweeping out of the room and towards the Council rooms. A few moments later, Rin rose and left as well, going to her Lord’s side per his instructions and request. She had not spoken to him the entire meal, unless he addressed her first. And even then, she had managed to answer his questions in only one or two words.

Kaida however, growled and stalked off to the dojo, eager to try and work off some of her pent up frustration. She couldn’t figure out what Rin was playing at, and it was getting on her nerves. The teenage girl had made a complete one hundred and eighty degree turn around in the period of two hours. She wasn’t loud, she wasn’t impulsive, and she wasn’t even talking anymore.

For all intents, Rin had turned into a meek little female that was bowing down to her Lord when he called. It was a high change from the rambunctious, nosey girl she’d been earlier that morning.

And Kaida couldn’t figure out whether she was doing it to piss Sesshomaru off, or whether she was trying to prove something to him.

-------------------

As Rin walked down the hallway towards the Council room, she squared her shoulders and ran Kaida’s lessons through her head once again. It had not taken much thought for her to figure out how to get Sesshomaru to keep her around instead of sending her off to the North.

In her mind, Rin honestly believed that he had been talking about her earlier that day, telling Ronin that she’d never fit in with the demon court, no matter what. So, Rin had vowed to take every lesson to heart, and prove to her guardian that she could be like the other females of the demon world. She would make him see that she was worth keeping around. Of course, the way she was now was a far cry from the way she normally acted.

All through dinner she had squelched down the impulses to ask a half million questions of Sesshomaru. She was still wondering why there were threats of war on the Western Lands, but she would not let herself ask him. After all, according to what Kaida was teaching her, Sesshomaru would share the information if he deemed it worthy enough for her concern.

She knocked on the screen to the Council room, and Sesshomaru called her in. After putting the shoji screen back in place, Rin walked to her Lord and kneeled, her head bowed and hand folded primly in her lap, her eyes trained on the floor in front of her.

“You wanted to see me, Lord Sesshomaru?” she asked quietly. Sesshomaru regarded the teenage girl with a mixture of amazement and concern. He was amazed that she was actually putting Kaida’s lessons into practice. But he was more than concerned about the coldness she had shown him all through dinner.

“Yes, I did.” he said, taking in her submissive, quiet body language and lowered voice.

This was not his Rin.

“What is the matter, my Lord?”

“How are your lessons with Lady Kaida going?” he asked, standing and going to the nearest window, looking out among the servants who were milling around, finishing up the days work.

“Well enough, my Lord.” she answered. “I am learning as I should, and putting into practice the lessons I am taught.”

“I see.” he said. He looked over at her, and could tell the she was restraining herself forcefully from looking at him while she spoke.

It was customary for the females of a Lord’s domain to train their eyes to the floor when being spoken to, and he knew that. But he had become so accustomed to having Rin’s brown eyes trained on him during their conversations, that he was at a loss to understand what she was thinking when she wouldn’t look at him.

“I still have much to learn, however, before I will be considered properly trained.” she said.

“Undoubtedly.” he answered. He sat back down across from her and frowned. She had not asked him any questions about the arrival of the troops to the fortress at dinner, even though he was positively sure she wanted to know why. So, he tried baiting her. “Tomorrow, my Generals will be arriving. It seems there is trouble brewing along the borders. Haruto is giving me problems. You are not to go anywhere without Kaida or myself. Is that understood?”

“Yes, my Lord.” she said meekly. He waited for her to send a barrage of questions his way concerning why the generals were coming, but they never came. And he was absolutely stunned. Apparently, Kaida had instilled in the girl a sense of quiet acceptance during the past few weeks she‘d been there teaching Rin. But Sesshomaru was not so sure that he liked it. “Is there anything else you require, my Lord?”

“That is all, Rin.” he said, turning his back on her. When she did not move, he was thrown off guard.

“Rin?”

“Yes, my Lord?” she asked.

“Why are you still here?” he asked.

“You did not dismiss me, Lord Sesshomaru.” she said simply. The dog demon simply stared at her for a moment, not sure what to make of Rin’s sudden change in disposition.

“Very well. You are dismissed, Rin.” he said stoically. The girl only nodded and rose from her kneeling position, then left quietly out the door, never once making eye contact with him.

--------------------

Kaida had already went through half of the katas she knew by the time she felt Sesshomaru’s energy on its way to the dojo. She sheathed the daggers in her hand and adjusted her training gi, waiting for him to enter and give her the third degree about the change in Rin’s behavior. She did not have long to wait, needless to say.

Sesshomaru came into the dojo a few moments later, his face set in an expressionless mode.

“What is wrong with Rin?” he asked icily, glaring at her.

“What do you mean what’s wrong with her?” Kaida asked, feigning innocence “Nothing’s wrong with her. What makes you think something is wrong?”

“She won’t even look at me.” he said. “She’s quiet, and submissive. I ask again. What is wrong with her?” Kaida shook her head and leaned back against the dojo wall.

“She’s doing what you want her to do.” Kaida said simply. “You wanted me to turn her into a proper lady, well there she is.”

“That is not Rin.” he said, glaring at her.

“No kidding.” Kaida said.

“What caused this change in her?” he asked. “Why is she now suddenly putting your lessons into practical use?”

“It could be because she thinks your waiting to send her off to the North to mate with one of Haruto’s brats.” Kaida said.

“What?”

“She apparently heard you talking to Ronin earlier today when she went to deliver a letter to you.” Kaida said. “You were going on about how humans were weak, worthless, and not worth keeping around. And how anyone with human blood would never fit in with the demon courts.”

“I was not referring to Rin.” he said defensively.

“I know, and that’s what I told her.” Kaida said, shrugging. “But she won’t listen to me. She keeps forgetting that the one you can’t stand having around here is me, not her.”

“You are correct.” he said.

“I know.” she answered. “But you need to tell her that. She thinks you are going to send her North just as soon as I’m done teaching her.”

“I would not let her enter into the North.” he said decisively. “She does not belong up there.”

“Well, you need to tell her that.” Kaida said. “The girl is upset, and rightly so. She caught you demeaning anyone who has human blood in them. She’s full human, Sesshomaru, and now she thinks you could care less about what happened to her.” Kaida shook her head and walked over to where she had placed her scimitars on the floor. “Do you know what she done when she heard you say that?”

“No.”

“She ran outside the fortress.” Kaida said. “Ishika and I found her a half a mile north. And I’m sure you realize how dangerous it is outside of these walls right now. It’s bad enough I’m here, and garnering too damn much attention from Haruto and his cronies. Now they’re after Rin as well.”

“How did you know that?” he asked, his eyes piercing into her.

“Ronin’s orders to Kentaro and Hoshi were to keep Rin from finding out what was going on.” she smirked. “He never said a thing about not telling me.”

“I should have figured that kitsune would not stay quiet about this.” Sesshomaru growled.

“Look, I don’t want Rin hurt.” she said. “And if me going back South is what it takes to keep Haruto from coming to knock on the front gates, then so be it. I’ll go back and fight my battles on my own home ground.”

“You are not going back.” Sesshomaru said firmly.

“Excuse me?” Kaida asked, blinking in surprise. She had figured he would put up no resistance to her going back home. Apparently, she had been wrong.

“You are Rin’s instructor.” he said. “Your duty to me is not over yet. When, and only when, Rin is ready for presentation at court, will you be released from your duties to the Western Lord.”

“I am not about to stay here and cause a civil war to break out between you and Haruto.” she said. “There’s no point. If I get away from Rin now, Haruto will more than likely forget about even coming here.”

“Rin is under my protection.” he said. “As are you for the duration of your stay here. Haruto will not lay a hand on either of you. I gave your father my word that you would be safe here.”

“I’m causing trouble by being here.” she said, glaring at him. “Just let me go home. It is the most logical thing to do.”

“Impossible.” he said, turning around to leave. “From now on, you are to accompany Rin at all times. I do not want her alone for one minute.”

“Cut your losses with me, and find Rin another teacher.” Kaida said. “It’s not that big a deal. She will be fine.”

“Haruto has already crossed the line.” Sesshomaru said, looking over his shoulder at her. “He has invaded my lands without a justifiable reason, and threatened to take not only my ward, but a noble under my protection. It will not go unpunished.”

“Well if your going to kill him, at least let me have the pleasure of taking his head off.” Kaida grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest irritably. She wasn’t going to get anywhere with him, and she knew it.

“You are to stay here.” he said. “Your station is to keep Rin safe.”

“Fine, then why don’t you get Kiyoshi while you’re at it and save me the trouble of killing him later.” she suggested. “Kill two cats in one swipe, you know. Kami, get rid of the whole blasted family for all I care. Saburo is about the only decent one of the bunch.”

“I will take that into consideration.” he said, walking out the dojo and into the night air. Kaida growled and wished she could throw something at the arrogant dog.

She strapped her scimitars to her side and walked out of the dojo a half hour later, her mind in a haze. If she could not get Sesshomaru to agree to release her from her duties to Rin, then maybe she could convince her father to call her back home. When she finally got to her room, she pulled out a scroll and some ink, trying to think of the best way to relay the information Hoshi had given her earlier that day.

If Haruto was actually going to try and attack the ports and set up an area of centralized organization there, she knew her father could stop the invading ships. The Southern Lands noble family prided itself on the ships and water vessels that were made in their homeland. The naval battalions would easily be able to take care of the port. It was just the land based soldiers that had her concerned.

Since Haruto’s standing army had multiplied so rapidly in such a short amount of time, she was more than concerned about what kind of damage could be inflicted on the land itself. If too many of the crops were damaged, the people living in the Southern Lands, both human and demon, would suffer drastically. All in all, the Southern Lands could not sustain a long battle with Haruto’s forces, and she knew that.

So, with a heavy heart, she began the letter to her father, telling him of the news, and all but begging him to recall her back to her homelands.

------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

A/N - Okay, I know this is short, but I can’t help it. I hope it is not too disappointing.

Remember to review. I want to know what you think.

Later,

A.A.