InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. It never was. The only thing I own are my own original characters.

A/N - Thanks to everyone who has reviewed. I am glad you seem to like the way this story is going. Hope you enjoy the newest chapter.

-

Teaching Rin

Chapter 11

Trouble on the Home Front

-

The next few days after Sesshomaru’s departure to the border patrols were possibly the most calm and relaxing of the entire time Kaida had been in the Western lands. Her work with Rin kept her busy in the morning times, and Kentaro kept them all entertained during the evenings. Meals were lighthearted, and filled with different discussions, or even some of the silly anecdotes of Kentaro’s family in the East. Even the headwoman of the castle Keisha had seemed happier that Sesshomaru would be gone for a few days.

On the fourth day after Sesshomaru had left, Kaida had decided to take Rin outside for her review lesson after lunch. The weather had been warm enough lately, and Kaida was itching to spend some time out in the sunshine as opposed to being cooped up inside the fortress. She had just exited the living quarters of the fortress when a servant came to relay a message that there was a visitor at the front gate, and he was asking to speak with her.

“Who do you think it could be?” Rin asked, looking up to the demoness who had suddenly become awful quiet. “One of your brothers, perhaps?”

“No.” she answered, expanding her aura to try and detect who was at the gates. She growled when she felt the pulse of a very familiar aura answer her call out. “It’s Kiyoshi.”

“What is he doing here?” Rin asked, paling considerably. “Is he crazy?”

“Probably.” Kaida said, turning to motion Kentaro to her side. The kitsune walked up and waited for his instructions.

“What should we do, Kaida?” he asked, his hand ghosting over the hilt of the daggers he kept on his side.

“Take Rin back into the fortress.” she said firmly. “Better yet, take her to the gardens in the back, and don’t let her out of your sight. That area is walled off, so I doubt there will be any trouble back there. Tell Sakaki that he is to go with you as well.”

“What are you planning?” the kit asked, frowning over at her. “I thought Sesshomaru said that Sakaki was to handle any impromptu visitors?”

“He did.” Kaida said. “Now take Rin and get her out of here.” The brown headed demon just nodded and quickly led Rin back into the fortress. Kaida turned back to the servant and told him to let the visitor in. A few moments later, Kaida spotted the arrogant neko coming across the courtyard, Western guards on both sides of him. Kaida met him halfway across the courtyard and waved the three soldiers off. Although hesitant, they nodded and took up their stations off to the side.

“What are you doing here, Kiyoshi?” she asked, not even bothering with the formalities that courtesy demanded.

“I wanted to speak with Lord Sesshomaru about some matters.” he said briskly. “Is he around?”

“He’s busy at the moment.” she answered. “And I’m afraid he will not be able to see you today. Sorry.”

“Where is he? This is of the utmost importance.” Kiyoshi said with a grin.

“Like I said, he’s busy.” Kaida answered. “But I will tell him that you came by.”

“I’m afraid I don’t have that much time, love. You see, I am kind of in a rush.”

“Not my problem.” she answered. “Now, if that is all, I’ll see you back to the gate and you can be on your way.”

“I know he’s not here, Kaida.” Kiyoshi growled. “Why are you lying?”

“Why are you asking questions, if you already know the truth?” she bit back. “Get out, Kiyoshi. As you said, Sesshomaru’s not here.”

“Where’s your hospitality, love?” he asked, throwing his arms out wide. “I thought the ladies of the Southern lands were so well versed in their manners? Especially for visitors.”

“We’re not in the South.” she said.

“Obviously.” he commented. “So, where is that pretty little lady you are supposed to be instructing?”

“Rin is busy at the moment, I’m afraid.” she said vaguely. “I’ll make sure and tell her that you said hello.”

“How much progress have you made with her? I was just telling father the other day that the little woman would make an excellent addition to our family, don‘t you think? Perhaps I will ask Sesshomaru to arrange a meeting between her and Sangashi. I‘m sure my younger brother would be thrilled to get to know such a captivating young woman better.” the neko said. “I surely hope you are not trying to turn her into another little warrior girl. I don’t think Sesshomaru would appreciate that.”

“And I don’t think he’d like me to be spilling your blood in his courtyard.” Kaida snapped. “Now get out, Kiyoshi. I quit worrying about Lady Rin. Sesshomaru wouldn‘t let her within speaking range to you, let alone mingle with your ridiculous family.”

“Do tell? Yes, that damned mongrel does seem to be more than just a little attached to the girl. Well, I guess that idea is out of the question, now isn’t it?”

“Get out, Kiyoshi. You have no business here.”

“Oh, but I’m afraid I can’t do that.” he said, grabbing her arm and pulling her to face him. “You see, I wanted to check on my mate and make sure that her sister’s disease had not traveled to her as well.”

“Disease?”

“Promiscuity, my dear.” he grinned. “I know just how…amorous your siblings can be. And since you’re living with Sesshomaru, well, I just wanted to be sure that your virtue was still intact.”

“My virtue is none of your concern.” she growled, jerking out of his grasp. “As far as Sesshomaru, I really don’t see him enough to tarnish said virtue. Not that it is any of your business, anyhow.”

“Getting angry, my pet?” Kiyoshi asked, reaching out a hand to stroke her face. “You really shouldn’t.” Kaida growled and Kiyoshi smirked, slapping her hard across the face and causing her to stumble back a bit. She caught herself, and put a hand to her cheek in surprise, feeling the wetness of blood. She had not expected him to hit her, not with three guards right off to the side. She glanced over and saw the three soldiers coming towards her, their swords drawn. She caught their attention and waved them back, telling the silently to stay were they were. She looked back to the still smirking Kiyoshi and frowned.

“You low down bastard!” she fumed.

“Keep yourself pure, you wretched bitch.” he sneered. “I won’t have Sesshomaru’s second hand whore as my mate.”

“So you’re telling me that if I sleep with him, you’ll leave me the hell alone?” she asked, rubbing the small bit of blood from the side of her mouth. “That would almost be worth it then.”

“You’ll keep your hands to yourself, and stay away from that overgrown mongrel if you know what’s good for you, woman!” Kiyoshi sneered, making for her once again. Kaida simply dodged his attempt to catch her and took up a defensive position.

“Get out of here, Kiyoshi.” she barked. “You’ve got no business in the Western lands, especially after what you and your father tried to pull a few days ago.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” he said, pulling a sword from his side and training it on her. Kaida just shook her head and readied for a fight. She really had not wanted to fight the impertinent cat, at least not while still in the West, but he was asking for it. She was just about to make a strike when a familiar aura pulsed angrily from above them.

“Damn it all!” she cursed. “He’s back.”

“What is the meaning of this?” came an imperial voice from above them. Kaida and Kiyoshi turned their eyes skyward and saw a blur of white streaking down to land in between them. Kiyoshi’s hands slackened instantly, and he sheathed his sword. Kaida just glared and turned to him, frowning.

“Patrols go well, my Lord?” she asked innocently.

“Well enough.” he answered concisely, turning to Kiyoshi. “Explain why you are here, neko.”

“I was merely coming to see how my mate was doing.” Kiyoshi said, lying smoothly. “She’s been away from me for some time, and I wanted to see her.”

“And attacking her is your family’s way of greeting, I take it?” Sesshomaru asked coldly, his hand on the hilt of Toukijin. Kiyoshi visibly blanched, and struggled for a way to hold his ground.

“We were about to spar.” he said. “Just a friendly game.”

“I see.” the white haired demon lord said. “Kaida?”

“Yes, my Lord?”

“Where is Rin?”

“She is currently in the back gardens, my Lord, awaiting my return so we can finish up her lessons for the day.” Kaida said. “She is being accompanied by Lord Kentaro and Sakaki.”

“Very well.” Sesshomaru said. “Return and continue. I will see to Lord Kiyoshi, personally.”

“Yes, sir.” she said, turning to leave the courtyard, only to have Kiyoshi stop her.

“One moment, Kaida.” he said, walking closer to her, a sadistic smirk on his face. “I’m afraid I won’t be seeing you after a leave.”

“Good riddance.” she snarled. Kiyoshi just smirked, grabbed her, and kissed her roughly on the lips before she managed to push him away. Before anyone else could react, she punched him squarely in the mouth and kneed him in the stomach, causing him to double over slightly. “Get the hell away from me, you bastard!”

“Kaida!” Sesshomaru barked. “That’s enough.” The demoness simply glared at the lord of the fortress, then turned and headed towards the gardens where she had sent Rin and Kentaro. Kiyoshi just straightened up and watched her stalk off, an evil smile on his face. Sesshomaru walked in front of him, blocking his view of the fuming woman.

“What is your business here, neko?” he asked coldly. “Besides destroying the sanctity of my home with your lies and deceptions?”

“Excuse me?” Kiyoshi asked politely, trying to act as innocent as the day he was born. Needless to say, Sesshomaru did not buy the act, as he had seen the entire episode between the lying cat and Kaida before he had ever landed.

“The next time you feel the need to speak with my ward’s instructor, and act so blatantly disrespectful to her, refrain from doing so in my home.” he glared.

“My Lord, I had no intentions of disgracing your home. Please, forgive me.” Kiyoshi bowed to Sesshomaru, and rose back up, another apology on his lips.

“Remove your being from my sight and my lands until you have a legitimate reason for being here.”

“Of course, my Lord.” he said calmly. “As you wish.”

“And tell your father that if he is so adamant on finding out what is going on in my lands, he needs to find more discreet spies.” Sesshomaru said plainly. He saw Kiyoshi pale considerably, but the neko said nothing else. “Or else I will personally see to their demise like I did with the others. Considering the recent state of things, I suggest he pull his affiliates out of my lands before I go for a more personal removal, directly from him.”

He motioned towards the three guards standing watch, and they fell in line behind the fuming cat as he turned and headed towards the front gates. Sesshomaru waited until he could no longer feel the demon’s presence, and then headed towards the inner part of the fortress.

Sesshomaru turned walked towards the living quarters of the fortress, intent on finding Rin. He did not have to look very far, as the young woman’s concerned voice was carrying quite clearly throughout the fortress. He walked over to the entrance that led out into the walled of gardens and listened in as Rin bombarded her teacher with question after question.

“…thing is okay, right, Kaida?” Rin asked, checking the other woman for any visible wounds. “Is he gone now?”

“He should be gone. No need to worry.” Kaida said easily.

“Did the guards kick him out?” Kentaro asked, making Rin sit and calm down. “I didn’t hear any struggles.”

“No. He just had a run in with the head guard dog.” she said.

“Guard dog?” Rin asked, confused. “We don’t have a guard dog.”

“Sesshomaru’s back.” Kaida said simply. Rin’s face lit up in happiness, despite the fact that she was supposed to still be angry at him.

“He’s back? Is he okay? How’d the patrols go? He’s not hurt is he?” she babbled.

“He looked fine to me.” Kaida said, shrugging. “I wasn’t exactly paying attention to him, though. If you’re so worried, go check to make sure. He’s probably around here some where.” Sesshomaru quickly ducked out of the way before Rin could find him listening in on her conversation. Of course, he had no doubt that once she was halfway to his quarters, she would realize that she was still supposed to be angry with him. Thus turning around and going straight back to her own quarters without so much as a greeting to him.

As expected, Rin had never showed up in his study that day. He could hear her voice coming from the outside courtyard where she was with Kentaro, and he knew she had seen him watching from the window, yet she still did not come near him.

Rin’s avoidance of him was grating on his last nerve, so he sought out the one person who he believed was responsible for the whole fiasco.

Kaida.

Sesshomaru headed straight for the dojo that evening, knowing that the fuming demoness had more than likely taken refuge there to work off the frustration and anger she had built up during the small amount of time Kiyoshi had been in her presence. His assumptions were confirmed when the dojo came into view, and he felt the huge spikes of energy radiating from the small building like the waves from a tsunami.

Kaida was apparently more angry than he had thought. He smirked as his hand ghosted of the hilt of his sword, Toukijin. He knew that challenging her to a spar right now would be the best workout he’d gotten in a long time. Unfortunately, the patrols along the borders had yielded only a small handful of low class demons who had met their untimely end at his claws. Besides, there were a few things he wanted to know about his ward’s instructor, things she had seemingly kept quiet about up until this point.

And past experiences with her had shown that she was more likely to let her guard drop while in the heat of battle with him, and let drop information that he could use at later times.

He walked over to the building and pushed the entrance mat to the side, walking in calmly. All around him were the splinters of what had at one time been wooden practice dummies, and even more piles of cloth that had been archery targets. He spotted the grim faced woman in the center of the room, angrily throwing daggers at another target that had been set up across the room.

She was madder than he had anticipated, that much was clear. Her face was grim, pulled into a tight frown of anger. Her eyes were sparking jade flames, and her hands were whirring with the speed of the daggers she was palming that throwing. She continued to unload the small blades onto the target until it was full, with not another empty space available on the surface. But, despite the carnage she had wrecked in the dojo, Sesshomaru could still sense the underlying tension in her, right below the surface.

Her anger was more than justified, but he could not figure out why she was so mad. Even during the last Lord’s meeting in the South, she had not reacted so violently towards the scheming neko demon. Now, it seemed like her anger was all built up, right below the surface, and looking for something to unleash holy hell on.

“It is not much of a challenge if your opponents do not fight back.” he said stoically, glancing towards the piles of rubbish around the circular room. Kaida just turned and glared at him, not even bothering to formulate some type of response to him. “Are you refusing to speak now? Well, I for one, believe that will be a pleasant change.”

“Don’ t you have someone else to go bother right now?” she asked scathingly. “I was under the impression that my presence is one of the most detested things in all of Japan.”

“The neko didn’t seem to mind your presence.” he said calmly. He saw her palm the last dagger and hurl it straight at his head. He simply stepped to the side, and the blade whizzed past his ear and lodged itself into the wall behind him.

“You are angry.”

“Aren‘t you as observant as ever?” she countered, turning to face him. “What do you want? Come here to torment me?” This time, it was Sesshomaru’s turn to remain silent. Kaida just ignored him in favor of walking over to the target and pulling her blades out of the surface, then replacing them in the folds of her clothing. He simply observed her, quickly formulating a plan to get her absorbed in a fight in an attempt to calm her down. “Well, what are you standing there for?” she snapped, once all the blades were secured once again. “Don’t you have something better to do than stand around and stare at me? Paperwork or something? A country to invade?”

“Your sarcasm is unappreciated, considering I just sent the neko away.” he said, his hand moving to the hilt of Toukijin in an unspoken invitation for a fight.

“You could have let him stay.” she said coolly, obviously accepting his offer for a spar. “Although I probably would have wound up slitting his throat before long. I need a good rug for my room.” She dropped down into a defensive position and pulled her twin blades from her side, readying herself for an attack.

Sesshomaru rushed her, sword drawn, in an attempt to throw her off guard and put her on the defensive. Two seconds later, the clash of steel was heard throughout the grounds as the angered woman and indifferent demon lord locked horns in a battle of wills.

“What is the meaning of this?” Sesshomaru asked, jumping back out of swinging range and regarding her with a critical eye. It had seemed that her anger had somehow enhanced her fighting abilities. She was not fighting in a blind rage, much like he had anticipated, but more cut throat and calculating than he had ever seen before. “Why are you so angry?”

Kaida’s eyes narrowed down into two, green slits and she growled audibly.

“Why do you think I’m angry?” she queried, her swords crossed in front of her chest. “I figured you were smart enough to figure that much out at least.”

“The neko’s appearance here has angered you.” he stated flatly, searching for a weak spot in her posture as they circled one another like two warring animals. “Why?”

“Obviously.” Kaida answered, rolling her eyes. Sesshomaru’s impassive face held a split second look of surprise when she seemingly disappeared, then reappeared behind him, a blade at his throat. He felt her press the cold steel to his jugular vein and growled in aggravation. He’d been so caught up in watching her reaction to his words, that he had overlooked what she was doing. Almost immediately, the bite of steel was gone, and she was standing across from him once again, smirking slightly. “My point.”

“Indeed.” he acknowledged. Sesshomaru was nothing, if not a very skilled fighter, renown more for his speed and stealth than anything else. Employing that speed, he rushed her once again, thrusting Toukijin towards her, only to catch the hem of her haoiri, shredding it. She countered by blocking a punch, then kicking him squarely in the stomach hard enough to fall backwards. Sesshomaru, spotting a weakness in her defensive position, quickly capitalized off the falling momentum and rolling onto his back as he latched onto her shirt, easily tossing her into the wall almost twenty feet over.

Sesshomaru rolled to his feet, and was met with a barrage of punches and kicks from the angry demoness, as her scimitars had been thrown elsewhere when Sesshomaru had knocked her against the dojo wall. He avoided the assault easily enough by using a burst of speed to disappear and reappear right above her. He knocked her down, pining her underneath him, with Toukijin’s blade at her throat.

But, despite the her predicament, the woman beneath him remained impassive and cold, not showing the slightest hint of fear or regard for the blade at her throat. Sesshomaru pushed the blade harder, allowing it to dig into her neck. Her only response was to flinch slightly, yet she still did not say anything. He got up and took a defensive post.

“Explain yourself.” he commanded.

“What is there to explain?” she asked, seemingly confused by the request. “You know enough to piece it together.”

“You were not this angered by his presence at the Lord’s meeting.” he said, placing two fingers together and summoning the energy whip to his side. “Why now?”

“Because I didn’t realize that he had designs on Rin to make her part of the Northern ruling family!” she bit out. “And he didn’t have the audacity to manhandle me in front of everyone!”

Sesshomaru actually frowned, wondering how Rin’s name had come up during the brief discussion Kiyoshi had had with the woman. The rumors circulating along the borders had been that Haruto had been gathering an army large enough to invade the West, for the sole reason of capturing Kaida and Rin. Apparently there was more truth to the so called rumors than he had expected.

Kaida attacked then, using a couple of her throwing daggers to toss him off guard before attacking with one of the scimitars she had retrieved from the floor. The blades met, and both combatants could see the sparks flying. Sesshomaru flicked his wrist and the acid green energy whipped tore through Kaida’s clothing, causing them to smolder and burn. She apparently was trying to ignore the pain, but could do nothing, as both her hands were holding the blade in front of her. She did manage to push him back, and jump out of Toukijin’s swinging range.

“Why was he here?” Sesshomaru asked, watching her carefully. “If you wished to see him, then so be it. However I take it his arrival was as much a surprise to you as myself, correct?”

“An unpleasant surprise at that.” she growled. “And I have no idea why he was here! Death wish maybe?”

“And one you would happily consent to fulfilling, no doubt?” he asked, quirking an eyebrow.

“Sounds good to me.” she said offhandedly. “Kiyoshi and I were promised to each other only a few days after my birth. It was an arrangement set up by our mothers in hopes that the hostility between the North and South would be discarded. And the only way I get out of it is if he dies.”

“He is from a powerful family. Why do you fight the arrangement? It makes no logical sense.” Sesshomaru said.

“Because Kiyoshi is a domineering fool who likes to play with people’s heads. He finds pleasure in trying to break a woman’s spirit. To make her a mere plaything, and imitation of what she could be.” Kaida said heatedly. “His entire clan thinks we are useless creatures fit only to bow to the whims of males.”

“Sounds like an accurate description to me.” Sesshomaru countered. Kaida just snarled and rushed the arrogant dog lord, disarming him of Toukijin and knocking his feet out from under him. He landed flat on his back, and Kaida sat down on his chest, awkwardly pining him to the ground.

“Every man is born of a woman, Sesshomaru, remember that. You are no exception to that rule. You had a mother at one time, just like me.” she said quietly.

“Your point is what?” he asked, his fists were balled up on his sides, but he refrained from knocking her off of him. She was beginning to talk, and that was exactly what he wanted.

“She was a person, not just some toy. And I am almost positive that you loved her at some point, before the cold façade of indifference you show the world was ever set in place.” she said coldly, getting off him. “InuTaisho never treated Asacia like some common little whore. He respected her for what she was, a strong woman with the skills to protect her family and household. And despite the fact that their joining was arranged, he grew to love your mother, which is more than I can say for what would happen to me and Kiyoshi.”

“Your views on this are quite…eccentric.” Sesshomaru pointed out, not liking that she had drug his mother and father into the conversation. “My mother did her duty, as was expected by her clan, and my father’s.”

“She didn’t do it very quietly, if what I’ve heard holds true.” Kaida said coldly. “Your mother was a free spirit, Sesshomaru. She didn’t like the limiting chains that society put on her as a demoness of the higher courts, and she told them so when the time came….at least from what I‘ve always heard. But, she stood by InuTaisho after their joining. She was loyal to him; but, then again, he never tried to force her to change her ways of living. Both our mothers were born fighters, Sesshomaru; the times called for everyone to fight. And our father’s accepted them as such. I’m not about to be bound to someone who tries to dictate my every move. I’d rather kill myself first.”

She shook her head and strapped her blades to her side, apparently giving up the spar. Sesshomaru sensed the change in her emotions, and let his guard down slightly. She seemed despondent now, like nothing else mattered.

“You would honestly kill yourself?” he asked impassively, sheathing Toukijin.

“My father always believed in letting his children grow up to be strong willed and independent. He believed we should be able to stand on our own two feet, especially his daughters. And I would take myself out of it, before handing myself over to Kiyoshi.”

“He nurtured this way of thinking in you, as well as your siblings?” Sesshomaru questioned, shaking his head. “Then why do your sisters act as is proper for a female?”

Kaida snorted and picked up a cloth to wipe down some of her dagger blades.

“Father gave them a choice, and they took the easy way out. They’re willing to sacrifice they’re independence to their mates. I’m not.” she answered.

“And that is why you fight the union to the neko?”

“Exactly. He wants me to bow down to him, and I won’t do it! He’s not my master.” she said vehemently.

“Are you telling Rin these absurd views?” Sesshomaru questioned, walking over to her, forcing her to look up at him from her seat on the ground. If she was telling Rin things like this, it would explain the young girl’s behavior lately.

“Of course not.” Kaida laughed. “But if she ever asks me outright for my opinion, I will tell her.”

“Perhaps I should search out another instructor for her. Ideas like these can cause trouble.” He turned to walk out of the dojo, but the spike in Kaida’s aura proved that his jab had hit home.

“I didn’t ask for this job, Sesshomaru. You chose me. Remember?” she growled. “In fact, I distinctly remember telling you that it would be better to have picked someone else for it!”

“Rin choose you.”

“Whatever.” she muttered, strapping the scimitars back to her sides and passing by him, going towards the entrance. But, Sesshomaru was not finished yet. He still had not found out who Rin had been brought up into the altercation.

“As a matter of fact, how can I expect a woman who fights like a man to know anything about how a proper lady is supposed to conduct herself. You’re nothing more than a disgrace to females everywhere.” he said, watching as she tensed and turned to look back at him. Her hands moved to the hilts of her swords, and she bared her teeth at him.

“Disgrace? I’m a disgrace?” she questioned.

“Yes. You fight alongside your father’s soldiers when you should be within the walls of the castle.” he clarified.

“And that’s a bad thing? I figured I was showing a little courage, fighting and being willing to die for something I care about.” she snarled. Sesshomaru grinned inwardly at her attitude change once again.

Not long after she had been in the West, he had found out which topics that angered her more than anything. And although he normally did not broach them, he was enjoying baiting her, and watching her grow more and more angry with him.

“I female’s place is not on the battlefield, nor is it in a dojo. Their hands were not made to wield weapons.”

“Then what were we put here for? Entertainment for a bunch of self-absorbed, chauvinistic, pig-headed males?” she asked, glaring at him as if he was the scum of the Earth.

“Yes.”

“You know, I figured that you, of all people would understand the concept, the possibility, that a woman can serve as both a nurturer and protector.” she said, shaking her head in disbelief. “You’re as caught up in the old ways as Haruto.”

“It is not done. At least not in the capacity for which you speak.” he said calmly. “Certain things are just not done. And women on battlefields, directing soldiers is something that is not done.”

“And demon lords taking in resurrected human orphans isn’t done either.” she snapped off. “But it didn’t stop you, now did it?”

Sesshomaru actually growled and rushed her, his own temper beginning to leak through. He pinned her against the wall before she could even palm one of her daggers in defense. His hand was at her throat, and he had no doubt that he was cutting off her air supply. Her attempt to pull his hand away from her neck was futile, as he used his other hand to secure her wrists away from him.

“Speak not of which you have no knowledge, woman!” he barked. “You know not what you speak of!” He continued to hold her up off the floor and against the wall. She began to struggle, her body demanding oxygen, but not being able to get it due to Sesshomaru’s hold on her. When her face began turning colors, the stoic demon lord finally let her slump to the ground in an undignified heap.

“Damned…bastard…dog…” Kaida gasped, taking in deep breaths to replenish the air supply in her body.

“What does Rin have to do with any of this?” he asked, cutting right to his reason for being there.

“We are in violent times, Sesshomaru. Everything is changing, and more blood will be shed before it gets better, both human and demon.” Kaida said, rubbing her neck as if proof of what she had just said.

“What is this boiling down to?” he snarled. “Get to the point.”

“Rin needs to learn how to take care of herself, beyond running a household.” Kaida said firmly.

“She has no need for personal defense. I’ve already told you that.” the dog demon growled. “Her protection is my responsibility at the time. And when she chooses a mate, it will pass to him.”

“What if she chooses a human mate?” Kaida prodded. “You know as well as I do that most humans stand no chance against demons, especially the more powerful ones.”

“I will not allow such a weakling to have her!” he roared. The thought of allowing some puny mortal to mate Rin pushed his protective nature into overdrive.

“So you would forbid her to be with someone she loved, someone that made her happy, because of their lineage?” Kaida countered.

“She will be safe.” he said coldly.

“Then let me teach her how to live on her own, and not rely on someone else to take care of her.” Kaida said. “That way, no matter who she chooses, she will have some protection.”

“This is preposterous!” he said. “Out of the question.” He turned to leave the dojo before he inflicted any more permanent damage onto the demoness in front of him. At the rate he was going, it would not take much more for him to strangle her with his bare hands, or pick up one of the splintered beams surrounding them and stake it through her chest.

Unfortunately, the demoness did not seem to get the lesson he was trying to teach her about being quiet, because she continued to berate him.

“Have you stopped to realize that any child born from Rin after being joined to a full blooded will be a hanyou, a half blood?” she seethed, trying to get her point across to him. “Our world has not changed so much as to accept a child of mixed parentages, or have you forgotten that? Oh, forgive me, I forgot, you‘re a pure blood. You never had to contend yourself with the insults and demeaning remarks about your family because of something you could not control!”

“Get to your point, woman.” he said icily, turning to regard her with a glare that would send any normal being scurrying for cover.

“If you are so concerned about her well being, then you realize that her and her children will be targeted by Kami only knows how many people! You remember what happened when InuTaisho took Izayoi as his mate, don’t you? The Western court was in a civil war for years! And that led to InuTaisho being led away on some bogus attack report, and the castle being stormed, and Izayoi killed! Do you really want to see Rin lose her first born because of those same egocentric bigots? You think she’s upset now? You haven’t seen anything if she looses a child!”

Sesshomaru was forced to concede that the woman was right. He had not taken into account that any children Rin may birth would be looked down upon simply because of its heritage. He knew what had happened to Inuyasha’s mother not long after his brother had been born. The demon supremacists of the time had killed her for simply being human, and bearing the demon Lord another son, only this time, a hanyou. Sesshomaru himself had found Inuyasha to be a weak individual when they were children. And the fact that Inuyasha was only half demon had caused Sesshomaru to write him off as a pest.

Of course, after the fight with Naraku, his own views had changed somewhat. Now, instead of beating his younger brother into the ground every time they crossed paths, he held enough respect to speak to him in passing, but that was about it. He knew that Rin kept in touch with his brother and the miko, as well as the kitsune Shippo who had traveled with them during their hunt for the shards, and it had not bothered him, as long as Inuyasha stayed out of his way.

“What do you wish to teach her?” he found himself asking, despite his better judgment.

“I wasn’t going to turn her into a soldier.” Kaida grumbled. “She doesn’t have the heart to hurt anyone else. I just wanted to show her some basic defensive shields. Enough that it would keep her out of trouble incase she was ever caught off guard and by herself.”

The demon lord thought it through, wondering if Rin was actually capable of learning to create and maintain a protective shield. With no demonic or holy blood in her, nor any prior training, it would take a vast amount of practice for her to simply harness the energy needed to erect a half decent shield. Most humans tried for half their lives, and never managed to learn how.

But, he thought, if he allowed her to try and teach Rin something as simple as defensive shielding, maybe it would help in the long run. As Kaida had pointed out earlier, his own mother had been a fighter, and capable of some defensive abilities. Kaida’s own mother Mina had been rather well known for her ability to erect demon barriers, despite the fact that the woman had been a hanyou.

“Very well. You have presented a decent argument for your case.” Sesshomaru said firmly. “Teach her what you will. And as you have proved yourself as a decent enough fighter in your own right, as well as a competent teacher in the old ways or our courts, you shall continue on teaching both, per my instructions.” He left the demoness standing in the dojo, no doubt shocked that he had given his consent to teach Rin the basic defense techniques.

He headed back towards the fortress, knowing that there were some things that needed to be taken care of before the day was out. Of course, when Jaken came scrambling across the courtyard, harping about some letter that had just arrived from the northern most territories under his command, Sesshomaru pushed all thoughts of Rin and Kaida from his mind. Instead, he focused on taking care of whatever crisis that had arose in his lands.

Kaida watched in complete shock as the Lord of the Western Lands walked out of the dojo as though nothing in the world was wrong. They had literally just tore the dojo apart in their impromptu spar, and she was still feeling the sting where his energy whip had stung her. But she didn’t doubt that he was feeling the punches she had managed to land on him, too.

But what had her shocked the most was what he had said.

‘“As you have proved yourself a decent enough fighter in your own right, as well as a competent teacher in the old ways of our courts, you shall continue on teaching both, per my instructions.”’

She looked around her, almost as if expecting something to jump out and try to attack her. Sesshomaru was notorious for disagreeing with people, and when he agreed that Rin should be taught a few basic defense mechanisms, her paranoia had kicked in. But, other than the splintered wooden dummy remains and piles of half destroyed cloth, she was the only being in the dojo. She shook the shock off and secured her weapons.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say I just got a compliment out of that arrogant mongrel.” she muttered as she walked out the dojo.

-

A/N - Hey everyone. It took me a while to get it out, and I am very sorry. Life is kicking me in my rear end. Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

And remember to review. I want to know what you think.

Later.