InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Teaching Rin ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - It’s not mine. Never was. The only things I own are the plotline and any unfamiliar characters that Rumiko Takahashi has not made up.

-

Teaching Rin

Chapter 18

A Side of Her Seldom Seen

-

The trip to Kaida’s homelands seemed to pass by much quicker than before, but that could have been because Rin was so anxious to get there. Kaida had already explained the evening before that the purpose of the festival they were attending was to honor the gods and family ancestors for their continued protection of the fields, and to thank them for the bountiful harvests. She had told Rin that the majority of the people she would see would be human, just like herself.

The two women broke over the forest that lined the outside of the Southern palace, and Rin could see that there were already a large number of people moving around in the palace and the surrounding village.

“They’re up early.” Rin commented. “It’s barely dawn.”

“Most of them are probably too drunk to sleep.If any of them even went to sleep last night.” Kaida said with a grin, looking down along the decorated village square to see a few men stumbling around.

“What?”

“Last night was the drinking games.” Kaida explained as their mounts descended into the front courtyard of the Southern palace. “The village men probably drank themselves sober. They do it every year, and it is quite entertaining to watch.”

“Watching a bunch of drunk men is funny?” Rin asked curiously.

“It is if you’re the only sober one.” Kaida chuckled.

“I’ll bet.” Rin said. When they got down, a slightly flushed Keiji met them, right along with Lord Ryu.

“Welcome home, little sister.” Keiji said, grinning.

“Hey, Keiji.” she answered, taking a good look at his weary face. “Late night?”

“It never ended.” their father commented.

“Figures.” Kaida answered, rolling her eyes. “Father, why do you let him make an idiot of himself with thegames? I have a better tolerance than he does, and that’s not saying much.”

“Who am I to begrudge my own son the pleasures of such a wonderful tradition?” Ryu asked, shrugging. It was obvious to any that looked that thedragon demon was in fine spirits today, and even happier to finally see his youngest daughter. The Southern Lord’s gaze finally landed on Rin, and he smiled. “And who is this lovely creature with you, Kaida?”

“This is Lady Rin, father.” Kaida said, nudging the girl gently forward. “You remember her from the Lord’s meeting, I trust? Rin, this is my father, Lord Ryu and my brother, Keiji.”

“It is a wonderful to meet you both Lady Kaida has spoken fondly of you both.” Rin said, bowing formally, just like Kaida had taught her.

“Forgive us, Lady Rin.” Ryu teased. “We did not recognize you.”

“That is quite alright, my Lord.” Rin answered. “We were not formally introduced at the Council meeting. Thank you for extending your invitation to include Lord Sesshomaru and myself.”

“Where is he at?” Ryu asked, turning to Kaida.

“He said he wasn’t coming.” she answered. “He headed out on an early border patrol because of the information he recently received.”

“However, my Lord does send his regards and asks that you excuse his absence.” Rin continued on.

“Young lady, are you sure my daughter has been the one teaching you? She was never this polite.”

“Father!” Kaida exclaimed. “You’re making me sound like some uncivilized Neanderthal!”

“It’s not that much of a stretch.” Keiji drawled.

“You’re one to talk.” Kaida countered.

“I will agree whole heartedly with that.” came a miffed female voice. Rin looked over and saw a female kitsune dressed in the formal robes of the Eastern court, and a grinning Kentaro by her side. The two walked over, and the woman sent Keiji an evil glare. “Correct me if I am wrong, but it was you that decided to get so drunk last night that you passed out on the courtyard steps last night. Not Lady Kaida.”

“That’s only because she wasn’t here.” he muttered, glaring at the demoness even though she seemed wholly unaffected by it. Kaida smiled as she watched her brother face off with the fox.

“Lady Yuri.” she smiled. “It is good to see you well. Even better seeing you put my insolent brother in his place.”

“A full time job, that is.” the blue eyed fox said, sighing dramatically.

“That’s enough, Yuri.” Kentaro broke in. “I’m sure Lord Keiji has learned his lesson.”

“If he hasn’t, he will when she gets done with him.” Ryu commented.

“Father!”

“You are on your own, son.” he replied.

“Kentaro, why don’t you take Rin and Yuri and walk around for a while.” Kaida intervened smoothly. “I don’t think you’ve introduced Rin to your sister, yet, have you?”

“So you’re the one he won’t shut up about.” Lady Yuri said, smiling and giving Rin a slight bow. “Forgive me. I didn’t realize who you were.”

“You don’t realize a lot of things.” Keiji muttered.

“Why you overgrown lizard, just wait until….” Yuri started, only to have Kaida cut her off.

“Keiji, go with them.” she said.

“No.” he answered firmly. “I’ve already got a headache. I don’t need Yuri’s harping making it worse!”

“Suck it up, little brother.” Kaida said, pushing her much larger brother away. The four companions turned and quickly walked away, leaving Kaida alone with her father.

“Where’s Sesshomaru gone?” Ryu asked. “I figured he’d come just to watch the girl.”

“He left for border patrols yesterday after Kentaro brought word of Haruto’s mobilization.” Kaida said. “Are our lands as secure as they said?”

“For now, yes.” he answered. “How have you been, Kaida? You’re past few letters have been distressing to say the least. Are you and Sesshomaru getting along?”

“Barely.” she answered sourly. “I wouldn’t call it getting along, actually. More like a ‘lack of open hostility towards each other’.”

“Lack of open hostility?” her father questioned.

“His words, not mine.” she shrugged.

“And Rin?”

“She’s doing fine, as you can see.” Kaida said, grinning. “She’s a quick learner. Makes my job much easier since she actually wants to learn this stuff.”

“She’s not like you were then?” Ryu asked. "Running out of lessons and trying to jump the wall to get away from the tutors?"

“Hardly.” Kaida answered, shrugging. She unconsciously reached up to tap at the energy stone that was still hanging around her neck, an action she had started anytime she was talking to someone about Rin. Her father seemed to notice, and a quizzical look came across his face.

“That’s an interesting piece of jewelry there.” her father commented. “Is it amber?”

“I‘m not exactly sure what it is.” she said, glancing down at it. “Some sort of crystal I would guess.”

“Where’d it come from? The mainland?” he asked, taking the stone in his hand and weighing it.

“Sesshomaru gave it to me.” she said, causing her father to jerk up in surprise.

“He’s giving you jewelry?” Ryu asked, cocking an eyebrow. “Is there something you aren’t telling me? I thought you two didn’t get along?”

“We don’t.” Kaida amended quickly, not wanting her father to get the wrong impression. “It’s an energy manipulation stone.” She explained its purpose with the shielding training and the Southern Lord seemed to relax a little bit.

The last thing Kaida needed was someone getting the wrong ideas about her and the Ice Lord.

-

“You didn’t tell me you were going to be here.” Rin said as she and the kitsune walked through the rapidly thickening crowds. Luckily enough, it seemed that the villagers recognized the crests on their respective clothing and steered clear of them.

“Figured I’d surprise you.” he answered with a shrug. “I knew the festival was coming up and Kaida would probably bring you along.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re here.” she said shyly. “I don’t really know anyone besides Kaida, and…”

“Not a problem, my lovely lady. As long as I am here, you’ve nothing to worry about.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” Rin smiled. “How long will you be staying?”

“I think Yuri is leaving tomorrow, but I’ll stick around until everything’s over with.” he said, suddenly serious. “There’s something I want to talk to you about before you leave, though.”

“Something wrong?” she asked.

“No, nothing’s wrong.” he amended quickly.

“You sure?” Rin pressured.

“Positive.” he answered, reaching over to press a quick kiss to her temple, causing her to blush scarlet. “Now let’s see what these vendors have to sell. Have you eat breakfast yet?”

“Well…no, but…”

“Great! Hungry?”

“A little.”

“Well come on. I know one of the men who makes the best sweet cakes. He’s always here and I’ll bet he remembers me from last year!”

“I don’t doubt it.” Rin grinned. “You’re pretty hard to forget.”

“I know.” he grinned, leading her past a small raised platform and towards the end of the courtyard.

Ahead of them, they could still see Yuri and Kentaro bickering like an old couple as they looked at some bolts of blue silk while the vendor tried to hold back a laugh at their arguing.

“Are they always like that?” Rin asked, watching as the dragon demon followed beside the kitsune after she had paid the man for the required amount of material and agreed to come pick it up later. s

“Those two? All the time.” Kentaro sighed, handing her a small rice cake. “Put’em together in a room, and you’re guaranteed a free show. “

“Why?” she asked. “And if they don’t get along, why don’t they stay away from each other?” Rin tasted the rice cake and was surprised at the sweetness of it. She’d never had anything like this before.

“They can’t.” Kentaro said with a grin after he downed his own sweet treat. “Anytime they get within yelling range they seem to just gravitate towards each other. There could be a thousand people at this festival. But Yuri and Kentaro will find each other at least once, no matter what.” The kitsune bought half a dozen more of the sweets, and had the vendor wrap them in some paper before they set off down the street again, still watching the actions of the older nobles as they walked on ahead.

“Well, at least it’s not malicious.” Rin said, thinking of Sesshomaru and Kaida’s conversations that usually ended up with them fighting. She saw Lady Yuri reach out and pop Kentaro on the back of his head with a fan just then, and Rin grimaced. Kentaro glared in her direction, and crossed his arms in absolute defiance of what she was telling him. “Of course I could be wrong.”

“Nah, they don’t get mean.” Kentaro said, leading her toward a nearby stand where there were numerous fans lying about. “At least not with each other. But if someone else steps in to say anything to either one of them, Yuri usually lets them have it.”

“And they’ve always been like this?” Rin asked, her brows furrowed in curiosity.

“Ever since they first met.” Kentaro grimaced. “Kaida even got between them one time when Yuri was griping him out about something. Big mistake. Next thing we know, Yuri is about to bite Kaida’s head off and Kaida is about to turn my sister into a pincushion with her daggers.”

“She threatened your sister?” Rin asked in complete awe, even when she realized it was something the demoness would possibly do.

“More or less.” Kentaro laughed. “Of course once Keiji had to call in reinforcements to get Kaida calmed down. He and Kaze took a beating that day once they got the two separated, Keiji for not telling her what was going on, and Kaze for interfering.”

“They seem civil enough to each other now.” Rin said. “Your sister and Kaida, I mean.”

“Oh, they’re fine now. They even gang up on Keiji every now and then just to see him squirm.”

“They have an odd relationship, Kentaro and your sister.” Rin commented.

“Yeah, my sister swears it’s just friendly banter between the two of them.” he said with a wink. “But I think it’s unresolved sexual tension.” Rin wasn’t sure what to say about that, so she only shrugged and turned her attention to the fans that were on display in front of them.

There were fans of all different colors and designs, but one stood out among the rest. It was made of red silk, and had a nightingale in the center, surrounded by white cherry blossoms and some sort of blue flower she had never seen before. Beside her, Kentaro was studying the selection in apt concentration. He would pick one fan up, open it, and then shut it again before going on to another. Finally, after the eighth one, Rin spoke up.

“Having problems?” she asked.

“Yeah.” he said. “I promised my other sister Hoshiki that I would bring her something back from the festival, but I don’t know what I should get.”

“What does she like?” Rin asked, trying to be helpful despite the fact that she had only met Hoshiki once, and that had been six months previous.

“Anything.” he said with a shrug. “Which one do you like best?”

“This one.” Rin said, holding up the red fan with the nightingale and blue flowers. Kentaro took the fan and opened it up, looking at it carefully before shutting it and placing it back on the counter.

“Maybe I should look around before I buy anything.” he said. “Let’s see what else they’ve got around here, Rin.” The human girl nodded in agreement and they headed towards another stand nearby that was selling little statues made of amber, but Kentaro still couldn’t find something he thought his sister would like. From stall to stall they went, and each time he would ask Rin for her opinion.

“What’s the stage for?” she questioned as they walked to another stall that had bolts of silk and wool.

“That’s where the show will be tonight.” he answered, looking up at raised platform in the center of the huge courtyard. “It’s a tradition that every year the villagers play out one of the creation stories on the full moon of the festival. This year they’re doing the story of Miho and Hito.”

“The mother and father of the races?” Rin asked. “I know that one.”

“That one. And they want you to narrate.” he said.

“Me?” Rin asked. “Kaida didn’t tell me anything about that. I thought she was the one who was taking part, not me.”

“There’s nothing to it! All you’ll do is read from a scroll.” Kentaro reassured her. “I done it last year, and it’s not so bad. Besides, with your place as a Western noble, it shows your willingness to participate in human activities.”

“I am human.” Rin pointed out. “Of course I’m willing to do human activities.”

“Which makes it all the better.” Kentaro pointed out. “You’re a human woman that is under the protection of the Western Lord. It helps to show the villagers that the ruling demons and their family do not mind getting involved with what they do.” Rin considered his words for a few moments before nodding.

“If Kaida asks, I will do it.” she said. “I assume she will be playing Miho’s part?”

“Yes.”

“Who’s playing Hito?” Rin asked. Kentaro nodded towards where Kaida and her father were still standing on the other side of the courtyard.

“He is.” he answered, nodding in the general direction.

Coming up to them was a tall demon dressing in the dark green and black of a Southern merchant. He had dark red-brown hair that was drawn up into a high ponytail, but could easily fall to his waist if unbound, and twinkling violet colored eyes that were sparkling in mischief as he spoke up and said something to the father and daughter.

Rin saw Kaida twirl around and look at the male. The demoness’ face went from utterly shocked to absolutely giddy in about two seconds, an expression she had never seen on Kaida‘s face until then. But the thing that made Rin’s blood fall to her feet was the flash of fangs and swing of the male’s tail

He was a dog demon, just like Sesshomaru.

And apparently Kaida recognized him, because she jumped into the outstretched arms of the male and was currently being squished to death in his strong arms while being swung around in circles.

-

“The show will not be long, and the humans seem to enjoy it.” Ryu said.

“Well if Rin is narrating, and I’m playing Miho, then who’d you manage to con into playing Hito’s part?” Kaida asked.

“That would be me.” came a deep, playful voice from behind them. Kaida spun around and came face to face with a tall demon dressed in black and green. She blinked a few times when she realized who it was standing before her.

“Kaze?” she asked timidly, almost as if she wasn’t sure that she was seeing him again after so long. The demon grinned and nodded in assent.

“Of course, that is if this absolutely gorgeous creature does not mind gracing me with her presence on stage.” he continued, opening his arms in a welcoming embrace to the demoness in front of him.

“Kaze!” She jumped into his open arms and buried her head in his chest. She felt his arms come around her waist and then lift her easily into the air, only to swing her around in a circle. He finally set her back down, and she looked up into the face of her longtime friend.

“And you were worried about her being upset you were back.” Ryu commented easily, watching the interaction between the two.

“When’d you get here? Where have you been? Why didn’t you send word that you were back?” Kaida questioned rapidly, smiling happily. “Come on! Say something!”

“I don’t think he can breathe.” Ryu pointed out wryly. “Let him go so he can catch a breath.” Kaida flushed and loosened her vice like grip on the demon.

“Kaze? You okay?” she asked.

“I am fine, my dear Lady Kaida.” he answered, rubbing gingerly at his ribs. “Although your exuberant welcome has caused some bruised ribs, I will overlook it.”

“I didn’t bruise your ribs, you big baby.” Kaida said, punching him playfully in the shoulder. “Still whining even after all this time?”

“Only when such a lovely lady as yourself is inflicting unimaginable pain on me.” he said cheekily.

“You wouldn’t know unimaginable pain if it bit you on the ass.” she said.

“Is that an offer?”

“Hardly. Suffice to say you haven’t changed since I last saw you.” Kaida pointed out, not able to keep the smile off her face.

“Suffice to say that you have, love.” he countered, winking at her roguishly. It seemed the demon had also retained his ridiculous pet name for her as well. Her father’s laughter brought them out of the familiar bantering long enough to realize that they were still holding each other. Kaida flushed brightly and stepped back, her eyes trained on the ground in front of her.

“Don’t start.” she muttered.

She could feel her father’s amusement at the uncharacteristic reaction Kaze had gotten out of her. But Kaida couldn’t help it. She hadn’t seen Kaze in nearly five years, ever since he’d taken over the management of the trade routes, and she had started taking more missions in the interior of the territories and outer borderlands. It was good to see him again after so long, even if it did mean she would embarrass herself in front of her father.

They had been so close before then, always keeping in touch and seeing each other when they could. Rumors had abound at one time that she was bedding the dog demon merchant, being unfaithful to her appointed mate. That had only served to make Kiyoshi even madder and more paranoid that he already was where she was concerned, despite the fact that the neko bedded with other demoness’ often enough. Eventually, the rumors had died down when their duties had forced them apart. And it was then that Kaida had wondered exactly when she would get to see her old friend again.

“Are you okay, Kaida?” Kaze asked, his voice in mock concern as he tilted her head up to face him. “You’re awful red. I think you’ve been in the sun too long.”

“Get off of it, Kaze.” she said. “You overgrown mongrel. When did you get back here?” She turned her inquisition to her father and frowned. “And why didn’t you tell me he was coming back?”

“It was supposed to be a surprise.” Lord Ryu said, still chuckling. “Surprise.”

“I hate surprises.” Kaida said, turning to the dog demon.

“You don’t hate them when they look as good as me, and you know it, love.” he said, waggling his eyebrows.

“You’re impossible.” she said. “And your lines don’t work on me, Kaze. They never did.” Kaida pointed out.

“Thank Kami for small favors.” Ryu muttered.

“I’m hurt, my Lord.” Kaze said, bowing dramatically to the taiyoukai. “However, it’s always good to be in practice in case I see some delectable little demoness that needs some company."

“If he hurt you, you would know it.” Kaida said, smiling.

“Indeed.” Ryu said, shaking his head. “I will leave you two to your devices for the evening as I have some things to oversee before tonight’s performance.”

“She is in good hands, my Lord.” Kaze answered solemnly, although the lingering smile on his face destroyed any attempt at seriousness. “I will not allow any harm to come to your delicate flower of a daughter.” Kaida just latched onto his arm and pulled him away from her still laughing father.

“I’ll make sure to keep him out of trouble, father.” she said firmly. “Promise.”

“See that you do, Kaida.” Lord Ryu called out as they walked off. “And no bloodshed in the courtyard!”

“Sesshomaru’s not here, so you don’t have to worry about that.” Kaida said, waving as her father disappeared into the crowd. Once they were out of earshot of the demon Lord, Kaida looked up at Kaze and grinned.

“So what are you doing back here?” she asked.

“I got called in for the festival.” Kaze said. “Your father thought it would be a nice surprise since it’s been so long. He told me this is the first time you’ve been back home in a while. What’s kept you away this time? More missions?”

“I’m teaching in the Western Lands.” Kaida said. “I’ve been there since the last Lord’s meeting.”

“Doing what?” Kaze asked. “I didn’t think Sesshomaru was exactly receptive to others interfering in his soldier’s training.”

“I’m not training his soldiers.” she said.

“Well you’re not training monkeys.” Kaze countered. “What are you teaching?”

“His ward. A little human girl named Rin.” she said, giving him a quick overview of how she’d gotten the position of Rin’s tutor.

“You’re teaching her court manners?” Kaze laughed. “Do you even remember your own lessons?”

“Yes. I do.” she answered curtly. “Despite the fact you, my father, Keiji and Sesshomaru think I’m nothing but a bumbling Neanderthal, I am perfectly capable of teaching Rin how to act at court.”

“Whoa, calm down there, spitfire.” Kaze said, backing away with his hands raised. “I didn’t mean anything, although I assume from your anger that you and Mr. High and Mighty Western Lord don’t get along that well?”

“We get along as well as Kiyoshi and I do.”

“That’s harsh.” Kaze said. “It can’t be that bad.”

“It is.” she said. "You've met him, need I say more?"

"It was only a few times." Kaze said. "Although he probably won't remember me."

"Lucky you."

“Have you tried to kill him yet?” Kaze joked.

“Numerous times.” Kaida dead panned, looking straight ahead as they walked down the courtyard. Kaze stopped dead in his tracks and stared at her until she turned around. “What?”

“You’re serious.” the dog demon said, looking down at her with wide eyes. “You’re actually serious.”

“Well, I’m not joking.” she shrugged. “It’s no big deal. We survived.”

“Kaida, love, I’ll admit that there are few who like the arrogant bastard, even I can’t stand him,” Kaze said, holding her shoulder still and looking down at her. “But no one has actually ever thought about attacking him.”

“So I’ve heard.” she said.

“Do you have a death wish?” Kaze demanded.

“Keiji thinks so.” she grinned. “But he can’t kill me until Rin is presented at court.”

“Says who? I don’t think it would stop him if he decided to chop your head off.” he pointed out. Kaida only shrugged, and then spotted a white faced Rin a few yards from her. She quickly walked over to the girl and the kitsune who was practically supporting her, Kaze by her side.

“Rin?” she asked, shaking the girl’s shoulder. “What’s wrong, Rin?”

“Nothing.” she said quickly, trying to regain her composure. “Nothing at all.”

“Kentaro, what’d you do to her?” Kaida asked, pinning the kitsune with a cold glare.

“I didn’t do anything!” he protested, shaking his head. “You’re the one who’s responsible for this, not me!”

“What?” Kaida asked, looking down at Rin in complete confusion.

“She saw you jump into Kaze’s arms like some crazy woman.” the kitsune clarified. “I think it shocked her a bit.”

“See, you’ve even got your student thinking you’re a prude.” Kaze piped up. “Really, Kaida, what are you teaching such a lovely creature.”

“You start flirting with her, and I’ll make sure you never have children, if Sesshomaru doesn’t beat me to it.” Kaida growled.

“But Sesshomaru isn’t here.” Kaze pointed out innocently.

“No, but I am.” Kentaro countered, frowning at the older dog demon.

“Don’t start, you two.” Kaida intervened. “Rin, are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine.” Rin said, some of the color coming to her face. “You just surprised me is all.”

“It’s quite alright, Lady Rin.” Kaze said, smiling at her. “Kaida has never been able to control herself while in my presence.”

“Kaze?” Kaida said sweetly.

“Yes, love?”

“Shut up.” she barked.

“Shutting up.” he said pleasantly, smiling like a mad man.

“Anyhow.” Kaida continued. “Rin, this is Kaze, a merchant trader for my father, and a very dear friend of mine whom I haven’t seen in years.”

“Pleasure to meet you, Lady Rin.” Kaze said, bowing deeply to her.

“The pleasure is all mine, sir.” Rin replied formally.

“Where did Yuri and Keiji get to?” Kentaro asked, drawing the dog demon’s attention away from Rin, who was now blushing prettily under the dog demon’s appreciative gaze.

“They’re probably arguing and bickering over something, like they always are.” Kaida replied. “You know those two. They’re a caustic mix.”

“Sounds familiar.” Rin muttered.

“Excuse me?” Kaida asked.

“Nothing.” she amended. “Nothing at all.”

“Do you think we should find them before they cause any amount of irreparable damage?” Kaze asked.

“We should.” Kaida said.

“We’ll go this way.” Kentaro said, quickly dragging Rin to his side. “You guys go that way.” He pointed in the opposite direction and then turned to walk away, bringing a startled Rin along for the ride.

“He’s paranoid.” Kaze laughed, watching as the kitsune lessened his grip on Rin once they were a safe distance away.

“He has good reason to be.” Kaida said, scanning the crowd for her brother. “Sesshomaru isn’t exactly the most receptive person to his advances for Rin.”

“Big surprise there.” Kaze said, walking alongside her.

They continued to comb the ever thickening crowd until Kaida and Kaze spotted Yuri and Keiji near the outermost rim of the courtyard. After meeting up with them, the four nobles continued to walk around talking and catching up. Kaida spotted Rin and Kentaro a few times, but the kitsune would spot them and drag Rin off in a different direction.

Kaida just shook her head when Kaze said the kitsune was being ridiculous. She was not worried about Rin’s safety, so she let the human girl go on her own. Besides, if something came up, she knew Kentaro would get her to safety, or at least buy her some time to get to their aid.

Near noon, Kaida corralled Kentaro and Rin into the palace for a quick meal, and then they took out to the festival for a few hours until they had to meet up with the village headmen for the little show they were putting on. Kentaro once again pulled Rin away once they were within the courtyard, and Kaze took his position at Kaida’s side.

As the evening progressed, and darkness began to fall, Kaida caught herself wondering what exactly Sesshomaru was doing, and where he was at.

-

A/N - Okay, here is the latest chapter. And guess what? I’ve got another one for you guys! No kidding! This chapter, and the next, was originally going to be combined into one. But when my computer said it was reaching nearly thirty pages, I figured it would be easier to split.

So, go on to the next.

But remember to review. I want to know what you think.